DJI repairs costly?
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Uncle Stumpy
lvl.3
Flight distance : 140315 ft
United States

I am sending in my 3 Advanced to DJI repairs. 2 new motors for sure and the case is opened up.

I basically need to know if DJI repair service is so expensive that I might be better off just buying a new one?

Thank you in advance!  Ray
2017-6-25
Use props
DTK
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1943159 ft
United States

you read all the post about dji repair. you will have an answer for sure. people are begging to get their drone back after a month for repair.
2017-6-25
Use props
Uncle Stumpy
lvl.3
United States

DTK Posted at 2017-6-25 12:12
you read all the post about dji repair. you will have an answer for sure. people are begging to get their drone back after a month for repair.

Kind of why I was asking the question.
Have you personally had any experience with them?

A guy from a different forum just recommended Dronenerds.com. Ever hear of them?
2017-6-25
Use props
Phantom One
First Officer
Flight distance : 135299 ft
United States

You ever consider doing the repairs yourself?  I've not had the need to do any repair work yet but I will probably do them myself if or when that time comes.  I've read about the complaints regarding the lengthy return times but really worries me is when I read about people getting a refurbished drone sent back to them instead of their own.  
2017-6-25
Use props
Mark The Droner
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2917 ft
United States

Seconded.  It's cheaper and gives you experience for next time.
2017-6-25
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

It wouldn't be too difficult to switch out the shell, and replace two motors....

Perhaps if you need help, visit a local reputable hobby shop.

RedHotPoker
2017-6-25
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

We suggest to send in your drone to official repair center for diagnosis and repair rather than repairing by yourself because damaged caused by unauthorized modification, disassembly, or shell opening will not be covered by After-Sales policy in the future.You can check the main part prices and service fees here: https://repair.dji.com/en/SelfRepair/PriceQuery
exclusion.png
service cost.png
2017-6-25
Use props
Uncle Stumpy
lvl.3
United States

RedHotPoker Posted at 2017-6-25 15:49
It wouldn't be too difficult to switch out the shell, and replace two motors....

Perhaps if you need help, visit a local reputable hobby shop.

I had my Phantom 2 apart to fix the camera wires that were all yanked out when a wire came loose on one motor and crashed from, luckily only 20 feet.
I replaced all the camera wires and soldered the motor wire and lo and behold, the dang thing flew.
I also just replaced the gimbal/camera tape - wire on a spare P3 I have and that went well too.

BUT, when it comes to something major like replacing the motors and whatever else was jarred loose and/or broken, I would feel much better if some tech was doing it.
It's just that you hear horror stories about DJI like drones being returned and the problem still exists or they fix the wrong thing. I want to be flying not waiting months to get the drone fixed.

A guy from another forum turned me on to DRONENERDS.COM and I sent them an email and asked them why they are better than DJI.
I am hoping for a reply tomorrow.
2017-6-25
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

Uncle Stumpy Posted at 2017-6-25 18:33
I had my Phantom 2 apart to fix the camera wires that were all yanked out when a wire came loose on one motor and crashed from, luckily only 20 feet.
I replaced all the camera wires and soldered the motor wire and lo and behold, the dang thing flew.
I also just replaced the gimbal/camera tape - wire on a spare P3 I have and that went well too.

Not sure if Drone Nerds is a better choice for repairs. Likely equally qualified though.
One thing for certain, of DN, you won't get a replacement drone, in its place. ;-)

RedHotPoker
2017-6-25
Use props
Uncle Stumpy
lvl.3
United States

RedHotPoker Posted at 2017-6-25 20:41
Not sure if Drone Nerds is a better choice for repairs. Likely equally qualified though.
One thing for certain, of DN, you won't get a replacement drone, in its place. ;-)

Ah, I have the problem that I bought my 3 Advanced from a third party so there is no warranty or DJI Care or whatever. I couldn't pass it up - brand new and a great deal.
2017-6-25
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

Uncle Stumpy Posted at 2017-6-25 21:06
Ah, I have the problem that I bought my 3 Advanced from a third party so there is no warranty or DJI Care or whatever. I couldn't pass it up - brand new and a great deal.

As you stated, that you already had the Phantom 2 apart.

So, not too much different here. ;-)
If you do venture inside, keep good track of your procedure, to reverse it, buttoning it back up.

RedHotPoker
2017-6-25
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules