DJI Firmware update when visiting a different country
1017 3 2017-6-26
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fans0fb1065d
lvl.1

South Africa

Hi Guys,

I'm a newbie, looking to buy my first drone.

I currently live in South Africa but I'm going to the US for a couple of weeks holiday next month. I am going to buy a Mavic Pro when I'm there because the prices are almost half compared to where I live. I've read up a lot on the firmware update that restricts you to the rules of the country you live in and I was wondering, when I buy my mavic there and update the software, should I say I'm South African? If not, how will it be affected when I bring my drone home with me? would I need to change my Geo position again then?

I would really like to use the drone for my trip in the US.

Thanks in advance!

2017-6-26
Use props
fans0fb1065d
lvl.1

South Africa

Anyone have any ideas?
2017-6-28
Use props
Flybee
First Officer
Flight distance : 2203983 ft
Germany

Hi to my knowledge the drone knows were it is so it will "comply" to the rules at the current position. IE. NFZ = No Fly Zones, others from that it should be same same. The problem you will have is if you are forced to have a warranty repair you have to send it to the place where you bought it, cause the Guarantee is NOT worldwide..

Good luck
2017-6-28
Use props
Hummingbird.UAV
Captain
Flight distance : 27489951 ft
  • >>>
Canada

There is a setting in the app where you can turn off the GEO System.  This should let you fly except in the red zones around airports.  I would not update the firmware in the US if the app asks.
2017-6-28
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules