Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
New owner Harder than I thought!!! Crashed!
1634 12 2017-6-26
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
JenniferBryant
New
United States

I thought this thing was supposed to avoid obstacles.
I lost track of it and it crashed into a tree and hung itself on a wire!! Niow i have a dent!
2017-6-26
Use props
DTK
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1943159 ft
Australia

You should read your manual before starting out. Flying something in the sky no matter how small is inherently dangerous to others. Lucky that it hang on a wire, imagine that the drone hit a car and cost you thousand of dollars of repair. Also read about how other people crash, it serves an experience without you paying for it.
2017-6-26
Use props
Lucas775
Second Officer
Flight distance : 50642090 ft
  • >>>
United States

The Mavic pro will actually teach you how to fly with proper use of the sensors and read the manual or watch a bunch of youtube videos.   This is by far the easiest drone I have ever flown, try flying one without sensors and GPS.
2017-6-26
Use props
Sime
lvl.3
Flight distance : 3055210 ft
Australia

Did you see the crash?
If not, it mat have collided side on.
2017-6-26
Use props
Rodger Marjama
lvl.3
United States

The Mavic is without question the most easy flying vehicle I have ever flown in R/C -- Over 50 years of it now.  But, it is also about the most complex with it's electronic and by far the most sophisticated I have flown.  I am sure there are many I have not flown, especially in non-winged craft, but for me, this Mavic is a pure pleasure to use... Well, until it wants to act up, HA!  All in all though, very good purchase and would certainly do it again -- Well, again, again, as I have already purchased 2 of them.  One as a birthday gift for my son and one for myself.

-Rodger
2017-6-26
Use props
CharlieFliesDro
lvl.2
Flight distance : 36148 ft
United States

You don't say.............. Crashed Hum..?
Good Now that you got that out of the way Injoy your mavic.
I remember my first flight........... it was so restrictive i got bored really fast
Remeber when you take off alway fly straight up to set the home port
try the Return Home Feature (RTH)
be careful  the mavic flys so effortly it will lull you into a sense that your a better Drone pilot then you are
and protect that gimble it is the week link.......C

2017-6-26
Use props
Lok Mavic
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1486660 ft
United Kingdom

Could you tell us a more detailed story of the event? Probably something that we all can learnt from. Me myself 10x more careful after I crashed my drone once.

About obstacle avoidance, it is not as good as Phantom 4's. Mavic has forward and downward sensors while Phantom 4 has 5 directions sensors, except at the top. It also can't detect small object like electric wire or chicken wire. So try not to rely on OA too much.
2017-6-26
Use props
Jenee 2
Second Officer
Flight distance : 7852129 ft
Australia

Live and learn and read your manual. The Mavic only has sensors on the front and bottom, NOT the top, sides or back. And there are many who turn even those sensors off, perhaps you had as well. And it also sounds like it was no longer LOS.
2017-6-26
Use props
RCNJ
lvl.4
Flight distance : 114665 ft
France

make sure all sensors are on & do NOT fly it backwards if you cannot see where it is enjoy !
2017-6-27
Use props
Nees
lvl.4
Flight distance : 80991 ft
Belgium

User error... Nothing to yell about here. You say you lost track, so you were flying to far away or behing obstacles and not experience. You need to learn the limitations before you start to do stuff like that. Test what is possible and what not. You thought it would do things that it will not do, like avoid obstacles; Yes it will do that till a certain extent, but even that system has limitations.

I understand your frustation, but another topic that is user error.
2017-6-27
Use props
willhay555
lvl.2
Flight distance : 481755 ft
United Kingdom

I live for posts like this.
2017-6-27
Use props
DroneFlying
lvl.4
Flight distance : 10774613 ft
United States

I'm sorry to hear that you crashed.

I thought this thing was supposed to avoid obstacles.

It can, but only under certain conditions, including some would otherwise be much more common, such as flying straight into an obstacle or hitting one during descent. As others have pointed out, the Mavic only includes front and bottom sensors, and even those can be disabled, but I'm guessing (hoping) that as a new pilot / owner you didn't do that. What is pretty common -- including for new pilots -- is to fly in Sport mode, which disables the sensors. Sport mode is fun because it shows what the drone is really capable of, but I use it sparingly and recommend that others do the same, especially when they're still new to flying the Mavic.

And even in circumstances where obstacle avoidance (OA) is possible, the system isn't perfect: very small items that can cause a crash might not be detected, such as a small tree branch. The bottom line is that you shouldn't really count on OA to prevent a crash but instead rely on your own piloting to keep the aircraft safe, and hope that if you do make a mistake that OA will prevent your error from causing a crash. Anyway, I hope that you're back in the air soon and have better luck flying in the future.
2017-6-27
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

When you loose sight of aircraft best to quit pushing the sticks, take some time to get your bearings your telemetry is full of information, your height , your distance, the direction your AC is heading and also first person view, it is advisable to learn about all this stuff. When you loose sight of your AC there is only one person that can crash it and only one person that can get it home safe, Pilot...
2017-6-27
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules