Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
We'd love to hear what you think of our new app
3881 30 2017-6-27
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
chrismorace
lvl.1
Flight distance : 89121 ft
United States

Hi Mavic Pro Owners, I'm the CEO and co-founder of a company called Memery. We just launched a new app today called Dragonfly that is intended to make backing up, managing, and enjoying your DJI drone video effortless.  It's free to try and I would really love your feedback, because we are committed to working with DJI to make this an incredible experience for everyone who loves drone video. I'd invite any of you to contact me any time with feedback on what you like and how to make it better.

As a bonus, we're running a promotion called"Try Dragonfly in July". During July we have:

• Discounted pricing tiers for premium backup/storage of video that you can lock in for as long as you are on that tier (Up to 50% off normal pricing)
  • We're giving away a DJI Spark.  All you need to do to be eligible to win is create an account on the app. No purchase necessary.
  • We're giving away DJI Goggles and a DJI Mavic Pro as part of two video contests

We're really excited about this and have put a lot of work into making it a beautiful app. I hope you'll give us a try!

Happy flying,

Chris

Storage Screen

Storage Screen

Gallery

Gallery

Map View

Map View

Splash Screen

Splash Screen
2017-6-27
Use props
WolfgangStiller
Captain
Flight distance : 599416 ft
United States

I just installed it on my iPhone 7 and setup an account. My first impression is that it looks nice but it should immediately explain what it can do to make my life better. Haven't seen this yet.
2017-6-27
Use props
Ex Machina
Captain
Flight distance : 1806362 ft
United States

Looks interesting, pricing?
2017-6-27
Use props
Hagbard
lvl.1

United States

WolfgangStiller Posted at 2017-6-27 11:15
I just installed it on my iPhone 7 and setup an account. My first impression is that it looks nice but it should immediately explain what it can do to make my life better. Haven't seen this yet.

Thanks for the feedback. I think the big thing is no headache backup, storage, and enjoyment of your video--especially for those who aren't super technical.  After each flight you can just launch the app and it grabs the video off of your drone without even needing to remove the SD card (it moves it onto the cloud for safe backup the next time your phone connects to wifi).  For existing collection, very long videos, and people who have no space on their phone there is a web uploader that can transfer everything with a simple drag & drop.  Then you have the choice of whether you want to keep copies on your own hard drives or not.

My favorite features are:

- Swipe to permission who can see it. You, Family, Friends or the whole Community.  The app lets people know when you upload things so you don't need to share it (unless you want to).

- Map view so you can browser community videos in the context of when/where they were taken. That is pretty awesome and much better than galleries, I think, but we have those too.

- Ability to highlight the best parts of a video with emotion reactions. This can then be used by the system to automatically create cool mixes that can be shared

- Autocreation of lighter weight versions of your video if you are just viewing on mobile.  (The full version is always there if you need to download it for editing or stream it to a high definition screen.)

- Easy sharing and quick sharing, commenting, tagging, etc

- The peace of mind knowing that all of your video is ALWAYS backed up and accessible without you needing to learn how to build a RAID5 array and a small power plant to power it

This is a first step for us. Things on the roadmap are:

- Apps to stream your video to the television automatically
- Image recognition & machine learning for automatic tagging and improved searching
- Working with DJI to connect the phone directly to the drone for lightning fast media backup
- Easy trimming of video immediately after flights to decrease transfer time and save space

And of course anything/everything else you dream up that will make flying your drone and enjoying your video more fun!
2017-6-27
Use props
chrismorace
lvl.1
United States

Ex Machina Posted at 2017-6-27 11:13
Looks interesting, pricing?

Thanks Ex Machina. I hope you will check it out.

Current pricing is:

Up to 10 GB - FREE
Up to 50 GB - $1.49/mo
Up to 300 GB - $9.99/mo
Up to 1 TB - $29.99/mo

We think the prospect of new drone pilots never needing to buy any hardware, always having their files backed up and accessible, and built in functionality to enjoy/share their collection makes this a great value.
2017-6-27
Use props
m15alien
First Officer
Flight distance : 6878596 ft
  • >>>
Italy

Hi and thanks, nice app, any plan for the Android devices? Regards
2017-6-27
Use props
chrismorace
lvl.1
United States

WolfgangStiller Posted at 2017-6-27 11:15

Wolfgang, thanks for posting this. It turns out our tutorial screens aren't appearing for new users! Will be fixed in the next build.  Basically, there are two options for getting your video onto Dragonfly to check it out:

1) Using the Web Uploader: https://uploader.dragonflyapp.com/

Simply drag or select your video collection and then let it transfer. When it is complete your videos will be backed up and visible on the  app for sharing, downloading, mixing, browsing, etc.

2) Drone to Phone

After your flight launch the Dragonfly app. It will detect your videos and move them to the phone (optionally it can delete them from your SD card). When you are next on wifi it will upload the files in the background and when they are safely on Dragonfly it will remove them from your phone.

Thanks  for catching that for us.  I'm going to have our team give you a little storage bump as a "thank you"!
2017-6-27
Use props
chrismorace
lvl.1
United States

m15alien Posted at 2017-6-27 12:57
Hi and thanks, nice app, any plan for the Android devices? Regards

Yes! There has been a ton of demand for Android today and we're going to make it happen.  
2017-6-27
Use props
Danny-B-
Second Officer
Flight distance : 306640 ft
United Kingdom

Interesting ... Lemmie know when Android is supported
2017-6-27
Use props
RCNJ
Second Officer
Flight distance : 114665 ft
France

nice review on dronelife i think i'll give this a try soon
2017-6-27
Use props
chrismorace
lvl.1
United States

RCNJ Posted at 2017-6-27 14:34
nice review on dronelife i think i'll give this a try soon

Great! Please let us know what you think or any improvements you'd like to see.
2017-6-27
Use props
Nees
First Officer
Flight distance : 80991 ft
Belgium

I'm going to be "that guy".

Why don't you allow users to choose their cloud storage. OneDrive offers for $8,3/Month 5TB storage, so your pricing is A LOT higher. I'm also curious how this app gets access to the SD card to transfer 4K videofiles. You also need to be in wifi for that, so not useful on the go.

To put in perspective with the 10GB free:  1 hour of 4K 30fps compressed footage creates 30GB of data. So if you flew 3 batteries, 1hour video is possible. Then if you start uploading over wifi and have 1MB/s upload (not many people have very high uploadspeeds compared to downloadspeeds) it would take +8hours to upload 30GB data. And your batteries are already going to be empty. Also, why keep using batterypower, that is already precious, to keep the drone on to upload files and keeping the device that will run hotter then when flying. So you would need to unplug the SD-card anyway...

I rather unplug my SD-card and use this on the go https://petapixel.com/2017/04/24 ... built-microsd-slot/

Also, I have 2 NAS-devices running RAID6, Nothing hard about it if you buy QNAPs. Plug in drives, set-up raid... Done.

Another issue is, when you upload the files, they are unedited, then you need to download them again to edit them and then upload again afterwards and share unedited boring video to everyone...

Ohwell, This is just my opinion. For me, this is again an app creating a solution for a problem that was never there.
2017-6-28
Use props
WolfgangStiller
Captain
United States

Hagbard Posted at 2017-6-27 12:40
Thanks for the feedback. I think the big thing is no headache backup, storage, and enjoyment of your video--especially for those who aren't super technical.  After each flight you can just launch the app and it grabs the video off of your drone without even needing to remove the SD card (it moves it onto the cloud for safe backup the next time your phone connects to wifi).  For existing collection, very long videos, and people who have no space on their phone there is a web uploader that can transfer everything with a simple drag & drop.  Then you have the choice of whether you want to keep copies on your own hard drives or not.

My favorite features are:

Pretty cool. I tried to the map feature and it was nice to see nearby videos (well, not real nearby but I am sure this will pickup quickly).  
2017-6-28
Use props
WolfgangStiller
Captain
United States

chrismorace Posted at 2017-6-27 13:40
Wolfgang, thanks for posting this. It turns out our tutorial screens aren't appearing for new users! Will be fixed in the next build.  Basically, there are two options for getting your video onto Dragonfly to check it out:

1) Using the Web Uploader: https://uploader.dragonflyapp.com/

I appreciate that. Thanks for the heads up on the web uploader. For my workflow that will be huge. I usually edit my videos down to about 10% of their original length and then want to save that so that will help.
2017-6-28
Use props
chrismorace
lvl.1
United States

Nees Posted at 2017-6-28 01:05

Why don't you allow users to choose their cloud storage. OneDrive offers for $8,3/Month 5TB storage, so your pricing is A LOT higher. I'm also curious how this app gets access to the SD card to transfer 4K videofiles. You also need to be in wifi for that, so not useful on the go.

Hi Nees,

Thanks so much for your post. You raise some really good points, but let me put them in perspective so you can understand why we think Dragonfly is a fantastic solution for a lot of people even if it ends up not being the right one for you.

- Choosing Cloud Storage: This is a great idea in principle, but the reality is that every cloud storage platform has different API's, issues associated with it, and quirks. I don't think this would even be feasible to do and give a good customer experience.

- One Cloud Pricing: Your One Cloud pricing is misleading when taken out of context.  It is true that you can get 5 TB for $9.99/year (https://onedrive.live.com/about/en-us/plans/), but you only get 5 GB for FREE and 50 GB for $1.99. That means as soon as you have 51 GB you are paying the $9.99. That is how they make their margin to pay for their services because most people will never approach 5 TB.

Also, it is important to note that all they do is provide a hosted file system. Dropbox is similar.  It's not an awesome experience to just have a giant list of arcane file names. While your video is backed up, it is not enjoyable.  These systems were also designed to be file sync and shares which mean you are also storing them locally. While it is possible with some configuration to only store the files on their cloud, it is not intuitive and makes the user experience very poor as it isn't what they were designed to do. So you end up paying for the hardware, the monthly power, and the subscription just to get backup.

- 10 GB Free: Our free tier is intended to let people try us to see if they enjoy our product without spending any money. Also, new drones like the Spark have lighter weight video, less technical users, and most likely shorter videos so this may be all many of them ever need.

- Sky Drive: I'm glad you brought up Sky Drive. It is actually one of the reasons we did this. We do not believe it is a very good solution.  The drive needs power and has no interface. This means that you are having to bring your laptop with you in the field to use it at which point you have to ask yourself why you need the drive. If you are just using it at home connected to a computer it is nice to have the SD slot, but again you are having to pile up hardware, it is not backed up, and just getting an SD card adapter and your favorite drive might have been a more flexible solution. Then you still have all of the same issues around actually enjoying the video mentioned with the File Sync & Share.  

Your Storage Rig: You are obviously a technical person :-) Anyone who can say NAS, RAID6, and QNAP in one sentence is more technically sophisticated than most.  If that works for you, I think it is great but it does require knowledge many people don't have, QNAS products cost quite a bit of money, and the power to keep the drives up isn't free either when you get to scale.   Then you have the issue of enjoyment rather than just storage again.  I'm not saying what you have isn't a great and impressive solution, I just don't think it is for everyone.

- Editing: I think you raise a really good point here. We have on our roadmap more trimming functionality and if people want it we will add more editing capabilities as well.  We're trying to figure out how to make life easiest for people and understand how often they edit their videos.  If it is infrequently then downloading the ones you want to work with and using your favorite editing software is probably what you want to do.   On the other hand, if we find people are wanting to edit all of the time or on the fly, we would want to help with that.

Right now we have a fun feature called an Action Mix that automatically creates mixes you can share with the tap of a button. If you don't like it you just tap again to remix.  It even adds music and you can do it while you are waiting for a coffee at Starbucks. We also allow you to highlight moments with emotion reactions that our algorithms can use to make better mixes. It's just a start, but hopefully it shows that we want to give new complementary ways of doing things that save people time rather than rebuild what is already out there.

I really appreciate your perspective--I think it is helpful to everyone who is thinking through their options. I'm also glad you're happy with the setup you have.  I hope you'll give us a try though, and if you think of anything that would make your experience better we are all ears.  :-)
2017-6-28
Use props
NoSale
lvl.4
Flight distance : 460958 ft
United States

Will follow this thread to learn more......
2017-6-28
Use props
mazimoose
lvl.1
Flight distance : 906 ft
Canada

Not available in Canada?
2017-6-28
Use props
chrismorace
lvl.1
United States

mazimoose Posted at 2017-6-28 11:08
Not available in Canada?

Hi Mazimoose,

We launched in the US to make sure there were no hiccups. We have had a lot of requests for UK and Canada access, however, so we getting that set up now.  It should be enabled within the next week.

We really appreciate your interest.

Cheers,

Chris
2017-6-29
Use props
chrismorace
lvl.1
United States

mazimoose Posted at 2017-6-28 11:08
Not available in Canada?

Hi Mazimoose,

We just submitted a new build of the app with support for the UK, Canada, and Australia. As soon as Apple approves it you should be able to download it.

I'd love to know what you think after you try it!
2017-6-29
Use props
kosmelnikov
lvl.1
Flight distance : 634098 ft
  • >>>
Ukraine

Hi
Actually there is another better app for downloading my videos from Spark (or other DJI devices) - 'Sync for DJI' (available only on iOS). The app allows view, tag, like download and share media easily and directly on drone. Also I don't need to buy space on cloud to download my files - after downloading it will be on my Phone Storage.
AND (it's very important for me) I can download files and use another app like Facebook or Instagram while my files are downloading.
2017-12-21
Use props
M.C. Pilot
Captain
Flight distance : 10278435 ft
  • >>>
United States

kosmelnikov Posted at 2017-12-21 08:56
Hi
Actually there is another better app for downloading my videos from Spark (or other DJI devices) - 'Sync for DJI' (available only on iOS). The app allows view, tag, like download and share media easily and directly on drone. Also I don't need to buy space on cloud to download my files - after downloading it will be on my Phone Storage.
AND (it's very important for me) I can download files and use another app like Facebook or Instagram while my files are downloading.

Interesting, thanks for the heads up on this one.
2017-12-21
Use props
Guido-Italy
Captain
Flight distance : 477008 ft
Italy

Hi any news for Italy?
2018-1-10
Use props
Bigga J
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1493 ft
United Kingdom

Let me know when you support Android in the UK please.
2018-1-10
Use props
drn3px69
Captain
Flight distance : 213268 ft
Argentina

Hi @chrismorace, no Android app until now? Thanks!
2018-2-3
Use props
Picanoc Jack
Captain
Flight distance : 10149541 ft
Canada

will look into it, however from what i've read it's not available in Canada yet
2018-3-15
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13838848 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Interesting looking app - may try it out!
2018-3-15
Use props
Wachtberger
Captain
Flight distance : 261509 ft
Germany

Why don't you allow users to choose their cloud storage. OneDrive offers for $8,3/Month 5TB storage, so your pricing is A LOT higher. I'm also curious how this app gets access to the SD card to transfer 4K videofiles. You also need to be in wifi for that, so not useful on the go.

I couldn't agree more, thank you for nailing it.
2018-3-15
Use props
FanOfFlight
First Officer
Flight distance : 1983760 ft
Canada

I’m pretty sure that all the public cloud providers support the amazon S3 protocol.  So you should be able to write to that API.  
2018-4-19
Use props
Amateur Droner
Second Officer
Flight distance : 6411 ft

United States

Why don't you allow users to choose their cloud storage. OneDrive offers for $8,3/Month 5TB storage, so your pricing is A LOT higher. I'm also curious how this app gets access to the SD card to transfer 4K videofiles. You also need to be in wifi for that, so not useful on the go.

I'm with you...I would prefer to spend the $120 to have my own 2TB portable drive!
I like having complete control over my video/data.
So I guess I am also "that guy".
2018-5-17
Use props
OneDoesNotSimply
First Officer
Flight distance : 662644 ft
United States

Can I get this for Android?
2018-8-4
Use props
Paul_IA
Captain
Flight distance : 4959019 ft
United States

Interesting. Will give it a look when you have an Android version available.
2018-8-4
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules