Drone Pilot's Worst Nightmare! Auto-RTH on a Boat (Near DISASTER!)
1764 15 2017-6-27
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
ZMatuszak
lvl.2

United States

[size=14.6667px]Earlier this year, I was in Mexico...We went to Lake Chapala, and ended up on Isla de AlacranesWhen we were on the boat ride out there, I decided it would be a good idea to fly the drone overhead (which it was-but I needed to AF)
The drone ended up at about 2.6km with 40% battery left, kicking in the Auto RTH feature.
Luckily I had the drone in my hand, but the props were running full speed.
I had to take out the battery to stop the props.
Lesson Learned: ALWAYS have the RTH settings set properly
[size=14.6667px]Here is a video of the scene (You can skip to 4:00)[size=14.6667px]When Traveling in Mexico, I nearly lost my drone because of the RTH Feature.
[size=14.6667px]In Chapala, I was with a few friends on our way out to one of the islands (Isla de Alacranes) and decided to fly the drone in Sport Mode.
[size=14.6667px]What I didn't realize was that I didnt have my RTH Programmed correctly.
[size=14.6667px]The Boat Moved, and the Drone was about 2.6km away from home. It wanted to RTH with about 40% battery Left.
[size=14.6667px]Luckily, we had pulled the boat into the island and I had the drone in my hand. The props were running full speed. I had to take the battery out while the props were running.
[size=14.6667px]Lesson Learned: Always have RTH params set correctly.
[size=14.6667px]Here is a video of the scene (You can skip to 4:00)[size=14.6667px]

[size=14.6667px]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_OG1m9DpXUA&t=607s
[size=14.6667px]

2017-6-27
Use props
ZMatuszak
lvl.2

United States

Not sure why it did the weird formatting!  Here is the video:

2017-6-27
Use props
fans20b4b055
lvl.2
United States

What RTH settings do you recommend for the P4P when flying off a boat?
2017-6-27
Use props
Duchunter
lvl.4
United States

If you fly from a boat be ready to switch rth to the controller/mobile devices present location. The boat is gonna drift unless its tied up to a dock or something that doesnt move. If the boat is adrift cancel the rth before it tries to land and bring it in manually. The best thing to do is not have a rth kick in and fly it home manually just make sure you change the home point or following the red line home will just take you back to the original home point. You can enlarge the map and there will be 2 dots and an arrow. The arrow is the quad, one dot is the home point and the other is the controllers current location. You usually dont see it cause the current location and the home point are usually in the same place but if you leave the home point you will see another dot so you can just point the red arrow at the rc's dot and push up on the right stick. Just be aware that unless you change the home point the maps line to home will be where you launched and not where you are. You can change the home point on the fly to the controllers location.
2017-6-27
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Or simply resetting homepoint to the current location of the Phantom occasionally will prevent it wanting to go back where you launched from when it calculates it only has enough battery to go home.
You need to be familiar with all operations of your Phantom on dry land before going out on a boat.
Out on the water isn't the place to learn new techniques.
2017-6-27
Use props
Heir InVioLable
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3963865 ft
  • >>>
United States

fans20b4b055 Posted at 2017-6-27 18:27
What RTH settings do you recommend for the P4P when flying off a boat?

HOVER,  HOVER,  HOVER. and Hover
2017-6-27
Use props
Antonio76
lvl.4
Flight distance : 144403 ft
Denmark

ZMatuszak Posted at 2017-6-27 11:04
Not sure why it did the weird formatting!  Here is the video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_OG1m9DpXUA&t=607s

I don't have the mavic, but couldn't you stop the engines by holding down the throttle stick (left one in mode 2) ?
2017-6-28
Use props
ZMatuszak
lvl.2

United States

Antonio76 Posted at 2017-6-28 03:00
I don't have the mavic, but couldn't you stop the engines by holding down the throttle stick (left one in mode 2) ?

The short answer is yes, but the props were running full speed when i had the drone in my hand!  Which means I couldn't use 2 to shut off the motors
2017-6-28
Use props
Duchunter
lvl.4
United States

Flying from a boat can be really tricky. You have no sensation  of movement so you tend to think the quad is all over the place when the boat is actually moving. The first time I launched from a boat it felt like the phantom just was drifting all over the place but the phantom was rock solid. The boat was moving which is counter intuitive. You dont feel the movement so in your mind your not moving, the quad is which can be very scary. Makes landing a real interesting endeavor.
2017-6-28
Use props
Antonio76
lvl.4
Flight distance : 144403 ft
Denmark

ZMatuszak Posted at 2017-6-28 04:31
The short answer is yes, but the props were running full speed when i had the drone in my hand!  Which means I couldn't use 2 to shut off the motors

I do it with one hand,  grabbing my P4P with my right hand and holding the controller with the left hand, but I agree that the mavic probably needs to be held in a different way...  For sure the mavic battery must be a lot easier than the one in the P4P to pull off.
2017-6-28
Use props
Duchunter
lvl.4
United States

Another frequent error is that some people think that once you set the home point to the controllers location that it will follow the controller from that point on and thats not the case. When you reset the home point to the rc location and then you move again the home point will stay where you were when you reset it. It doest mean it will follow the controller. You have to reset it every time you move.
2017-6-28
Use props
Capo
lvl.2
Flight distance : 178196 ft
United States

Heir InVioLable Posted at 2017-6-27 22:24
HOVER,  HOVER,  HOVER. and Hover

Hover is ok for loss of signal, but not for low battery RTH. Also, hover will eventually land when the battery gets low enough, putting it in the water.

One of the best solutions I have heard is to set the home point on shore if you aren't flying too far away from it.
2017-6-28
Use props
Heir InVioLable
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Capo Posted at 2017-6-28 06:07
Hover is ok for loss of signal, but not for low battery RTH. Also, hover will eventually land when the battery gets low enough, putting it in the water.

One of the best solutions I have heard is to set the home point on shore if you aren't flying too far away from it.

I don't fly anywhere I can't get back home manually to.  I personally NEVER want any outside interference from any smart features unless I have drastically moved my home-point.  I think many pilots here would prefer to manually bring back their drones,  lowering in altitude as the battery power runs down.  

However Capo,  I see your point.  RTH in low battery situations is useful for many.  I just prefer to to have control of my craft at all times and would rather take over from a hovering position then a moving one.
2017-6-28
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Heir InVioLable Posted at 2017-6-28 22:17
I don't fly anywhere I can't get back home manually to.  I personally NEVER want any outside interference from any smart features unless I have drastically moved my home-point.  I think many pilots here would prefer to manually bring back their drones,  lowering in altitude as the battery power runs down.  

However Capo,  I see your point.  RTH in low battery situations is useful for many.  I just prefer to to have control of my craft at all times and would rather take over from a hovering position then a moving one.

" I just prefer to to have control of my craft at all times and would rather take over from a hovering position then a moving one. "

But the Hover setting is only for loss of signal.
Once you lose signal, and your Phantom is happily hovering, you're not going to be able to take over unless you get back in range provided you know which way to go and are able to get closer.
Loss of signal isn't the problem being dealt with here.
It's having a Phantom wanting to zip away to where it was launched because it calculates it only has enough battery for that trip.
Whether you reset home to the current location of the Phantom or the controller doesn't make much difference.
The important factor is that you don't leave the home point back in the distance.
2017-6-28
Use props
Heir InVioLable
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Trust me,  when you are on a boat, hover, don't RTH.   If you are on a boat,  you will obviously be able to turn around and follow  your line you are provided on your application.  Never give your drone a chance to go down in the water .  You will regain transmission because of course you will act quickly when you lose transmission even if your battery level is low.  If your drone goes in the opposite direction with a low battery,  well then you are just screwed.  If you hover, you only need a few seconds to get back in range,  establish a connection,  and while the boat is driving back towards the drone,   you can start a manual landing  sequences by taking back over the drone.    Sure if you are able to continuously  push RTH at your current location that may be optimal,  but sorry it just doesn't work that way when you are going fast on the water.  Once you get a loss of transmission signal,  It's going back to the last place,  and unless you are in the same place,  from my experience,  I'd rather be safe knowing I can definitely go back to gather transmission,  then constantly worrying about my last position and updating my RTH position.  I would actually suggest putting your low batter warning to a pretty high number (like 25/30)  and your drone to hover on all  operator roaming/moving flights.  This way you can simply navigate back to your drones last position using your navigation sat.
2017-7-8
Use props
dronestarvision
lvl.1
United States

Not sure about the Mavic, but you can cancel the RTH at anytime with the P4P+. I launched several times 2 weeks ago off the coast of California from a boat with no problems. 1st rule don't put yourself in the situation that your drone is out in the middle of the ocean close to 10% battery life. 2nd rule if you use RTH on the waters, cancel when it gets close and fly it in manually.
2017-7-10
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules