Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Can the device you using affect picture quality
1672 14 2017-6-27
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
c.wileman.ic24
Flight distance : 6535 ft
United Kingdom

Can the device you using affect picture quality? - My images are rubbish and sent the Mavic back to be checked - no fault and sample images they took looked fine. I have a Samsung Note 3 but thye used an Ipad Mini 2.

Wondering if the phone you use CAN affect the pictures you take.

2017-6-27
Use props
Ex Machina
Captain
Flight distance : 1806362 ft
United States

Nope. Camera is on the Mavic, the connected smart device has zero to do with the quality it captures. That said, your device may have problems rendering the video sent by the Mavic, especially if it's an old or unsupported device.
2017-6-27
Use props
RCNJ
Second Officer
Flight distance : 114665 ft
France

only setup/settings, light, shutter etc impact how the picture is taken....your device has nothing to do with it, the drone & settings take the image..
2017-6-27
Use props
c.wileman.ic24
United Kingdom

Thanks for the answers - I have had LOADS of trouble with the Mavic and struggling to make sense of it all ........ Here are two pictures taken only a few seconds apart (on Auto)

Pic 1

Pic 1

Pic 2

Pic 2
2017-6-27
Use props
RCNJ
Second Officer
Flight distance : 114665 ft
France

put your ISO to 100 and your shutter on twice your frame rate, so if you are shooting at 30fps your shutter should be at 60 for example
if you cannot get to that in normal light you will need ND filters to assist in stopping light to get your shutter to twice framerate, that is best, the lower the ISO the better, if the ISO goes high the quality is poor etc

also dont use Auto white balance, select sunny or cloudy depending on the day, that helps a bityour EV on the app should ideally be 0 to 0.7 +/- and no higher, or you get overexposure which looks like the 1st image
2017-6-28
Use props
c.wileman.ic24
United Kingdom

RCNJ - Thanks for that, but I have been doing photography for years. The picttres are to show how the Mavic changes - They were taken on Auto (as if I change the settings, it will not show how things alter without changing anything) and they were taken only a few seconds apart ........ hence the question, can the device you are using with the controller affect the images
2017-6-28
Use props
Ex Machina
Captain
United States

c.wileman.ic24 Posted at 2017-6-27 23:52
Thanks for the answers - I have had LOADS of trouble with the Mavic and struggling to make sense of it all ........ Here are two pictures taken only a few seconds apart (on Auto)

Without the context of the preceding view and exposure settings of the first of the two shots, I can't offer much other to say that auto settings can take a while to compensate for changing lighting conditions.
2017-6-28
Use props
Griffith
First Officer
Flight distance : 98537 ft
United States

Your device only controls camera settings in the Mavic.  Any phone device will work the same.  The only differences due to phone might be in those pictures rendered and stored in the phone.  The memory card in the Mavic is the most reliable picture source and is not effected by the phone.
2017-6-28
Use props
c.wileman.ic24
United Kingdom

This is a screen shot - this is sequence of shots = all taken at the same height, (on auto so I could compare) - none exposed to the sky and taken over a 5 to 10 minute period. As you can see, all different and on the full size images ..... most of POOR quality ...... I have tried everything, and the only thing I could think of was the fact that you input stuff to the phone which then goes to the controller and then onto the drone but from what I read, that is not the case .....
Capture.JPG
2017-6-28
Use props
WARACHITO
New

Mexico

c.wileman.ic24 Posted at 2017-6-28 06:32
RCNJ - Thanks for that, but I have been doing photography for years. The picttres are to show how the Mavic changes - They were taken on Auto (as if I change the settings, it will not show how things alter without changing anything) and they were taken only a few seconds apart ........ hence the question, can the device you are using with the controller affect the images

I have the same problem as you.. im not a photographer but i know about shutter speed, iso etc.

My problem is when recording video. shoot in 4k, sometimes using AUTO but it get diferent exposures, sometimes under or overexposed. so i changed to manual.

selected for example 1/100 and iso 100, all the values fixed. and when i pan or triying to record something the exposure changes a lot like your photos.
like the value from paerture changes ( it doesnt have this option)

dont know what todo.
i have to compensate the exposure every single moment
2017-6-28
Use props
DocAraxá
First Officer
Flight distance : 202283 ft
Brazil

All I’ve read till know, mainly by professional photographers, is that you CAN’T use AUTO on Mavic.
You will have so many patterns of screenshots that will transform your takes on a complete mess.
Cheers.
2017-6-28
Use props
Ex Machina
Captain
United States

c.wileman.ic24 Posted at 2017-6-28 07:55
This is a screen shot - this is sequence of shots = all taken at the same height, (on auto so I could compare) - none exposed to the sky and taken over a 5 to 10 minute period. As you can see, all different and on the full size images ..... most of POOR quality ...... I have tried everything, and the only thing I could think of was the fact that you input stuff to the phone which then goes to the controller and then onto the drone but from what I read, that is not the case .....

I still can't really tell anything from what you're providing, but many people are unsatisfied with the Mavic's jpg output -- I find it sometimes works ok but is often a bit overcooked for my taste -- try shooting RAW and using a nice photo editor to tune to your liking. AEB shooting gives you a better shot at nailing the exposure, or you can combine the set into a single HDR image.

If you really think your camera is not working properly, there's a camera reset option in the DJI Go 4 app photp settings you could try. Hope this helps.

2017-6-28
Use props
Ex Machina
Captain
United States

WARACHITO Posted at 2017-6-28 08:05
I have the same problem as you.. im not a photographer but i know about shutter speed, iso etc.

My problem is when recording video. shoot in 4k, sometimes using AUTO but it get diferent exposures, sometimes under or overexposed. so i changed to manual.

When you shoot manual you have to compensate for changing light yourself. You can do this with the EV control on the RC, but you'll need to resign yourself to the fact that edits will be required to eliminate the incorrectly exposed shots -- it's a lot more work. Turn on and learn about the Histogram feature, it'll be a big help in getting a correct exposure when shooting manually.
2017-6-28
Use props
WARACHITO
New

Mexico

Ex Machina Posted at 2017-6-28 08:40
When you shoot manual you have to compensate for changing light yourself. You can do this with the EV control on the RC, but you'll need to resign yourself to the fact that edits will be required to eliminate the incorrectly exposed shots -- it's a lot more work. Turn on and learn about the Histogram feature, it'll be a big help in getting a correct exposure when shooting manually.

Yes i know that.
but it meant that recording the same object, paning a little bit ( with the same light) will change the exposure of the subjet.

in the video that im going to put here.

i was fliying over the white hats and uniforms, was a dificult situation because of the exposure.
i set to manual but it constantly changes the exposure, even if there is no change in light. that doesnt happen shoting with a camera or even an iphone in manual mode.

2017-6-28
Use props
Ex Machina
Captain
United States

WARACHITO Posted at 2017-6-28 08:46
Yes i know that.
but it meant that recording the same object, paning a little bit ( with the same light) will change the exposure of the subjet.

Looks to me like the white balance is changing? That can be set to manual as well.
2017-6-28
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules