USB port on the 4 battery charger
2617 14 2017-6-28
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
crchisholm
lvl.1
Flight distance : 39416 ft
United States

What is the small USB (assumption) on the corner of the 4 battery charger used for.  I don't see any documentation that would explain it's purpose.

2017-6-28
Use props
I am the E
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

That would be to charge your controller!
2017-6-28
Use props
DocAraxá
lvl.4
Flight distance : 202283 ft
Brazil

Hi crchisholm,
It is there for you to be able to update the hardware with the FW you use on Mavic and batteries.
You may know that every piece of the complete system (UAV, controller, batteries, etc.) has to have the same FW.
So, you must plug your microUSB to your computer and by Assistant2 perform the update, if necessary.
I hope to be helpful.
Cheers.

2017-6-28
Use props
crchisholm
lvl.1
Flight distance : 39416 ft
United States

DocAraxá Posted at 2017-6-28 07:59
Hi crchisholm,
It is there for you to be able to update the hardware with the FW you use on Mavic and batteries.
You may know that every piece of the complete system (UAV, controller, batteries, etc.) has to have the same FW.

Ok, so I can update the firmware on four batteries at once?  Cool if so.
2017-6-28
Use props
Maxxpsoft
lvl.3
Flight distance : 380594 ft
United States

crchisholm Posted at 2017-6-28 12:35
Ok, so I can update the firmware on four batteries at once?  Cool if so.

No it is for updating firmware inside the charging port only.
https://www.dji.com/mavic/info#downloads
See Mavic Battery Charging Hub User Guide
2017-6-28
Use props
Nikon 1
lvl.4
United States

Just to add to the thread - I don't think DJI has ever released a F/W update for the charging hub.
2017-6-28
Use props
jayh410
lvl.4
Flight distance : 11266 ft
United States

Clockman Posted at 2017-6-29 03:22
I don't think their is any firmware on the charger. It's just a simple power supply. All the intelligent functions are on the battery. The USB port is for charging the remote.

otherwise they would have had to provide a cable with each end being an USB Type A Male connector.  

They don't really have hard specs on the hub so I'm not sure how many amps max through the usb port.  
2017-6-29
Use props
DocAraxá
lvl.4
Flight distance : 202283 ft
Brazil

I agree with everything all of you you said but you can read on specifications that this port is for that reason.
I even never tried it.
Cheers.
2017-6-29
Use props
jayh410
lvl.4
United States

DocAraxá Posted at 2017-6-29 05:26
I agree with everything all of you you said but you can read on specifications that this port is for that reason.
I even never tried it.
Cheers.

Yes, you are correct, I know I was confusing the usb port on the charger with the mini-usb on the hub.  Even though I think of the charger and the hub as one thing, they are actually two separate components.  I never realised there was actually a mini-usb on the hub, so thanks for reminding me that it pays to RTFM.   

And I suppose there is firmware on the hub but there isn't an exe specifically for the hub on the download site.  I assume it'd have to be pushed via the dji software which is installed on your workstation, possibly dji assistant (v2?).   Course we all know what happens when you assume  ;^P.  

2017-6-29
Use props
Maveriksam
lvl.4
Flight distance : 417500 ft
United Kingdom

Holy crap.
Did someone say I have to update the FW on my batteries?
Will someone please explain the procedure to update my 4 batteries. I do not yet have the charging hub.

Thank you
2017-6-29
Use props
jayh410
lvl.4
United States

Maveriksam Posted at 2017-6-29 08:20
Holy crap.
Did someone say I have to update the FW on my batteries?
Will someone please explain the procedure to update my 4 batteries. I do not yet have the charging hub.

There are infrequent updates for the batteries, which I usually do through the DJI Go 4 App on my Ipad.  It probably will force you to update the firmware before it lets you fly.  There are probably multiple ways to do it.  
   The conversation went towards updating the firmware of the hub itself.  I don't think you can push any battery firmware updates through the hub itself though if any dji programmers are listening, it would be a neat thing being able to update them all in one swell foop.
2017-6-29
Use props
Eagle_Eye
lvl.4
Flight distance : 4137720 ft
United States

Since Battery and FW for the batteries being mentioned on this thread,
Maybe I have not really check, where do you chk batts FW (Batt icon on App?).
I added 2 more b-new batt to my setup (5 batt total) and it's just plug N play, no updating or error when I 1st used it after charged.
How come other users saying that it needed to update batt FW, am I missing on anything?
2017-6-29
Use props
jayh410
lvl.4
United States

Tip: The post by the administrator or moderators shield
2017-6-29
Use props
jayh410
lvl.4
United States

Eagle_Eye Posted at 2017-6-29 09:21
Since Battery and FW for the batteries being mentioned on this thread,
Maybe I have not really check, where do you chk batts FW (Batt icon on App?).
I added 2 more b-new batt to my setup (5 batt total) and it's just plug N play, no updating or error when I 1st used it after charged.

Could be because new batteries straight from the factory have the most recent firmware already installed and if you're keeping your mavic firmware up to date, you should be good to go.  
2017-6-29
Use props
Eagle_Eye
lvl.4
Flight distance : 4137720 ft
United States

jayh410 Posted at 2017-6-29 09:52
Could be because new batteries straight from the factory have the most recent firmware already installed and if you're keeping your mavic firmware up to date, you should be good to go.

NO! My MP/RC is not updated to latest FW/App, still on the OEM FW (400).
2017-6-29
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules