Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Spark Remote DIsconnecting Mid Flight
49398 479 2017-6-28
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fansf55aa0a0
New

United States

A couple of days ago on my 4th flight I was having issues with the remote disconnecting with the Spark intermittenly, causing it to go into RTH mode. I have tried the method of using a direct connection from my iPhone 7S via the USB to see if it was a phone wireless issue and the issue persisted.

Any ideas on what I may be doing wrong. This is my first drone and honestly it's a bit scary to lose control over a $500.00 device, even when the remote is no more then 100 yards from the Spark.
2017-6-28
Use props
MAVICDLNM
First Officer
Flight distance : 10696686 ft
  • >>>
Hong Kong

Hi fansf55aa0a0,

I have same problem with the RC disconnect Spark no matter how close it is.  Mostly happen on the second battery or after 15mins of flight time.  You can try at home with iPhone connect wifi with RC and download all videos and photos from Spark.  The RC and spark got disconnected 15-20mins after slow download process.  I think this has nothing to do with USB OTG connection, I suspect this might relate to overheat problem either on Spark or the RC.
2017-6-28
Use props
Monnette
lvl.1

China

Hi first post from a long time lurker here.

I encountered the same issue of disconnecting mid flight about 5 minutes on my 2nd battery. I am using a RC but no OTG. flying it in a non wifi
congested area. I also did make a 5 min rest in between flights for better cooldown. Whats the problem here, never encounter it when I am using just 1 battery,
but after I got the ordered 2nd battery, problem arises. any work around??
2017-6-29
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

To locate where the problem persists and get it sorted out, please help us confirm the following info.
1. What is the firmware version for remote and aircraft? You could upload a screenshot here.
2. Please download the Assistant 2 from DJI official Spark page, install it then connect the aircraft to PC, run assistant 2 and export the data from black box, upload it to Dropbox and post the link here, thanks. Black box.png
2017-6-29
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator

MAVICDLNM Posted at 2017-6-28 19:10
Hi fansf55aa0a0,

I have same problem with the RC disconnect Spark no matter how close it is.  Mostly happen on the second battery or after 15mins of flight time.  You can try at home with iPhone connect wifi with RC and download all videos and photos from Spark.  The RC and spark got disconnected 15-20mins after slow download process.  I think this has nothing to do with USB OTG connection, I suspect this might relate to overheat problem either on Spark or the RC.

Thanks for your feedback, we care much about the situation you reported.
Would you please provide us the info I mentioned above for further analysis? Appreciate your support!
2017-6-29
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator

Monnette Posted at 2017-6-29 05:53
Hi first post from a long time lurker here.

I encountered the same issue of disconnecting mid flight about 5 minutes on my 2nd battery. I am using a RC but no OTG. flying it in a non wifi

Would you please provide us the info needed as I mentioned at 4# which is very helpful for us to figure out where the problem persists, thank you in advance!
2017-6-29
Use props
Feiyau.lim
lvl.1
Flight distance : 398274 ft
Malaysia

I had a similar issue too. Disconnected mid flight 70m away 60m high and it just landed there and then without returning to home. Thankfully managed to recover and it didn't crashed onto a busy highway or people. Logged a case 610972. Hope we find out why.
2017-6-30
Use props
fans15a1014e
lvl.1
Flight distance : 1407 ft
Australia

Feiyau.lim Posted at 2017-6-30 19:45
I had a similar issue too. Disconnected mid flight 70m away 60m high and it just landed there and then without returning to home. Thankfully managed to recover and it didn't crashed onto a busy highway or people. Logged a case 610972. Hope we find out why.

What was outside temperature when it happened to you?
2017-7-1
Use props
Monnette
lvl.1

United States

DJI Natalia Posted at 2017-6-29 18:02
Would you please provide us the info needed as I mentioned at 4# which is very helpful for us to figure out where the problem persists, thank you in advance!

Thanks! Natalia. Would like to provide the mentioned files but unfortunately, DJI Assistant 2 is not working on my laptop win 7 PRO. still figuring it out how to get it to work. Anyway as there are others experiencing the same disconnection, probably I will take a watch on this thread and see whats the work around.
2017-7-1
Use props
yoyotman
New
United States

DJI Natalia,

The link to my DJI Spark Black Box is as follows: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/4jdnw ... g1kprHGI80H-Ja?dl=0

I am having the same issue as everyone. I seem to be able to fly with no problems when using my phone as a controller, but the remote is giving me issues.

When flying with the remote I can fly for maybe 10-15 seconds, then I see a "Command Timeout" on my DJI 4 App. I lose all control of my Spark and it hovers 1 ft off the ground. At this point I either wait for the battery to die and for it to autoland, or I stick my hand under the drone and pull the battery out. I am very disappointing that after spending $700 that I can't even fly my spark. I need this issue fixed ASAP or I would like a new spark. I have purchased DJI Care Refresh, so if possible I'd like to take advantage of a new spark (even though I think the spark is not the issue, and the remote is causing the problems.).
2017-7-1
Use props
yoyotman
New
United States

DJI Natalia Posted at 2017-6-29 17:54
To locate where the problem persists and get it sorted out, please help us confirm the following info.
1. What is the firmware version for remote and aircraft? You could upload a screenshot here.
2. Please download the Assistant 2 from DJI official Spark page, install it then connect the aircraft to PC, run assistant 2 and export the data from black box, upload it to Dropbox and post the link here, thanks.[view_image]

Please see #10
2017-7-1
Use props
fansa89dbbd2
lvl.1
United States

Having the same issues above. Good for 2-3 minutes then disconnects and returns to home. Could this be an overheating issue?

Link to Black Box folder - https://drive.google.com/drive/f ... Rk9GNVk?usp=sharing

Current firmware:
App - 4.1.3
Aircraft - 01.00.0400
Remote Controller - 01.00.0100
Flight Database - 01.00.01.04
Appr Database - 01.00.01.04
2017-7-1
Use props
fansa89dbbd2
lvl.1
United States

I've learned that switching the remote to the 2.4 ghz range solves the issue for me. The only problem is, the remote defaults to 5.8 ghz, so I have to manually switch it over each time I fly.

I learned this by reading some posts that dealt with the same issue on the Mavic when it was released. That issue has since been corrected with a firmware update, so hopefully we will get a Spark update soon.

For now, try flying in 2.4 ghz, and let me know if that works for you.
2017-7-2
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator

yoyotman Posted at 2017-7-1 08:50
DJI Natalia,

The link to my DJI Spark Black Box is as follows: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/4jdnwrve4xj09yp/AACnBaRPE56g1kprHGI80H-Ja?dl=0

Thank you for the detailed description, I have forwarded the data to engineers for further analysis.
2017-7-2
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator

fansa89dbbd2 Posted at 2017-7-1 09:30
Having the same issues above. Good for 2-3 minutes then disconnects and returns to home. Could this be an overheating issue?

Link to Black Box folder - https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0B7Mj8JGnevUQWEpWeG1QRk9GNVk?usp=sharing

Thank you for the information, I have forwarded it to our engineers, will get back to you once we get the result.
2017-7-3
Use props
Feiyau.lim
lvl.1
Flight distance : 398274 ft
Malaysia

fans15a1014e Posted at 2017-7-1 02:26
What was outside temperature when it happened to you?

I believe it was round 30 degrees C or so. Late evening about 6.30PM
2017-7-3
Use props
r.cicho
lvl.1
Flight distance : 118540 ft
United States

Hey guys thanks for the help with the remote, once changed to 2.4 I had no problems today... just have to set it every time before I fly
2017-7-3
Use props
Kristohfer
New
Flight distance : 108251 ft
United States

DJI Natalia Posted at 2017-6-29 17:54
2. Please download the Assistant 2 from DJI official Spark page, install it then connect the aircraft to PC, run assistant 2 and export the data from black box, upload it to Dropbox and post the link here, thanks.[view_image]

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/ukbvx ... 9qqivMDV6ydI1a?dl=0

App: 4.1.3
Aircraft: 01.00.0400
Remote Controller 01.00.0100
2017-7-4
Use props
vpasq
lvl.1
Flight distance : 763553 ft
United States

I too experienced the same thing today.  I have a one day old Spark.  Flew it 4 times yesterday no problem. Using the R/C tethered and it performed as it should and I was glowing with " I love it when things work right" fever.  However, today after flying for about 11 mins. that glow became a cloud when the R/C disconnected and I lost all contact with the drone.  I was actually bringing it back and it was about 75 ft overhead when this happened (luckily).  It went into RTH descended near me, but would not allow me to reconnect either with the r/c or any other method.  It got to about 2 feet off the ground (where it should have landed) and just hovered continuously.  I tried to get my hand underneath to capture it and power it down, but each time I did that it lifts up another foot, then after I moved my hand it descended again to about 2 ft above ground.  I had to wait for the battery to run out and it finally landed and turned off.  

I contacted support and they had me refresh the firmware,  (the latest and one I installed yesterday), recalibrate the IMU & Compass (both were done yesterday before the first launch as well), and reset the wifi in the drone with the r/c.  I have been asked to test everything out and if I experience any more difficulties to contact support.  Unfortunately it started raining an hour later and we have storms the rest of the day so I have not had a chance to test everything out.  I must admit I AM LEARY - I hate to see my $699 investment go away, but for the one day it worked perfect - I LOVE THIS DRONE!!!!!!!!!  I sure hope DJI jumps on this issue because there are multiple posts on this very issue on this forum and recent too!!!!!!!! (I will say online chat support is very helpful and convenient) (PS:  I may try the 2.4gHz suggestion above although not crazy about that since lots of equipment in my surrounding area use that freq for transmission and I might expect some interference)
2017-7-4
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator

Kristohfer Posted at 2017-7-4 11:02
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/ukbvxs7uuuoeuds/AACkqvQZFbA9qqivMDV6ydI1a?dl=0

App: 4.1.3

Thank you, I have forwarded your feedback to the engineers for further analysis!
2017-7-4
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator

vpasq Posted at 2017-7-4 15:34
I too experienced the same thing today.  I have a one day old Spark.  Flew it 4 times yesterday no problem. Using the R/C tethered and it performed as it should and I was glowing with " I love it when things work right" fever.  However, today after flying for about 11 mins. that glow became a cloud when the R/C disconnected and I lost all contact with the drone.  I was actually bringing it back and it was about 75 ft overhead when this happened (luckily).  It went into RTH descended near me, but would not allow me to reconnect either with the r/c or any other method.  It got to about 2 feet off the ground (where it should have landed) and just hovered continuously.  I tried to get my hand underneath to capture it and power it down, but each time I did that it lifts up another foot, then after I moved my hand it descended again to about 2 ft above ground.  I had to wait for the battery to run out and it finally landed and turned off.  

I contacted support and they had me refresh the firmware,  (the latest and one I installed yesterday), recalibrate the IMU & Compass (both were done yesterday before the first launch as well), and reset the wifi in the drone with the r/c.  I have been asked to test everything out and if I experience any more difficulties to contact support.  Unfortunately it started raining an hour later and we have storms the rest of the day so I have not had a chance to test everything out.  I must admit I AM LEARY - I hate to see my $699 investment go away, but for the one day it worked perfect - I LOVE THIS DRONE!!!!!!!!!  I sure hope DJI jumps on this issue because there are multiple posts on this very issue on this forum and recent too!!!!!!!! (I will say online chat support is very helpful and convenient) (PS:  I may try the 2.4gHz suggestion above although not crazy about that since lots of equipment in my surrounding area use that freq for transmission and I might expect some interference)

Thank you very much for the details, sorry to hear the experience.
Please provide us the data needed as I mentioned at 4#, I will forwarded it to our engineers directly and get it analyzed then.
Just to verify, how about the distance and height it flew when RC disconnected?
2017-7-4
Use props
vpasq
lvl.1
Flight distance : 763553 ft
United States

DJI Natalia Posted at 2017-7-4 18:55
Thank you very much for the details, sorry to hear the experience.
Please provide us the data needed as I mentioned at 4#, I will forwarded it to our engineers directly and get it analyzed then.
Just to verify, how about the distance and height it flew when RC disconnected?

Well it happened again today.  Yesterday I contacted support and they had be refresh the firmware, reset the wifi, and re-calibrate both compass and imu.   I was told to test it and get back if any further problem.  Did two test flights today.  The first one tethered, and it started out ok, but after 7 mins, the r/c disconnected again and the drone went into RTH and came back and landed this time and shut down.  The second flight I tried wifi to the r/c, and all was going good until about 11 mins into flight and the drone disconnect from the r/c again and went into rth came back and landed.  THIS IS TOO SCARY FOR ME!!!!!!  I went online with tech support and was offered to send in the r/c for a replacement.  THIS WHOLE PACKAGE IS ONLY 3 DAYS OLD!!!! I have been online or phone with tech support for all 3 days with issues.  They say it would take 5-7 business days to get a replacement.  That means no fly and pushes me just outside the  14 return window.  I CAN'T LIVE WITH THAT.  Also, I have no confidence that it is just the r/c given the fact there are MULTIPLE POSTINGS OF SPARK OWNERS EXPERIENCING THIS PROBLEM.  Are there that many defective remotes out there?   Will all of those writing of the same problem in multiple posts on this forum (I have seen at least 7) with the very same issue that will have to get a replacement r/c?  I feel like I have made a big mistake and am so disappointed.  Not only am I in for the combo $$$$$$, but never expected this kind of quality deficiency with DJI so I bought many other accessories beyond the combo that well - you know.  What a mess!!!! I am on the phone now waiting to speak to someone in customer support to express my displeasure. I love the spark - I hate its deficient reliability out of the box.  I thought I upgraded from another (unnamed brand) much cheaper drone that at least was reliable. I had always thought DJI was the premiere manufacturer so that is why I went DJI!!!!  uggggghhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!
2017-7-5
Use props
NerdyGuy
Second Officer
Flight distance : 156867 ft
  • >>>
United States

Yep.... same story as mine.    Tested in my office... LITERALLY the remote and the phone are RIGHT next to the Spark and it's losing signal.... Ummmm, how?!
Might have to request a return.   This is bad!
2017-7-5
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator

vpasq Posted at 2017-7-5 11:50
Well it happened again today.  Yesterday I contacted support and they had be refresh the firmware, reset the wifi, and re-calibrate both compass and imu.   I was told to test it and get back if any further problem.  Did two test flights today.  The first one tethered, and it started out ok, but after 7 mins, the r/c disconnected again and the drone went into RTH and came back and landed this time and shut down.  The second flight I tried wifi to the r/c, and all was going good until about 11 mins into flight and the drone disconnect from the r/c again and went into rth came back and landed.  THIS IS TOO SCARY FOR ME!!!!!!  I went online with tech support and was offered to send in the r/c for a replacement.  THIS WHOLE PACKAGE IS ONLY 3 DAYS OLD!!!! I have been online or phone with tech support for all 3 days with issues.  They say it would take 5-7 business days to get a replacement.  That means no fly and pushes me just outside the  14 return window.  I CAN'T LIVE WITH THAT.  Also, I have no confidence that it is just the r/c given the fact there are MULTIPLE POSTINGS OF SPARK OWNERS EXPERIENCING THIS PROBLEM.  Are there that many defective remotes out there?   Will all of those writing of the same problem in multiple posts on this forum (I have seen at least 7) with the very same issue that will have to get a replacement r/c?  I feel like I have made a big mistake and am so disappointed.  Not only am I in for the combo $$$$$$, but never expected this kind of quality deficiency with DJI so I bought many other accessories beyond the combo that well - you know.  What a mess!!!! I am on the phone now waiting to speak to someone in customer support to express my displeasure. I love the spark - I hate its deficient reliability out of the box.  I thought I upgraded from another (unnamed brand) much cheaper drone that at least was reliable. I had always thought DJI was the premiere manufacturer so that is why I went DJI!!!!  uggggghhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!

I totally understand how frustrating it must be, I would feel the same as you do if I were you.
We care much about all your feedback and hope you have great experience on our products, while we are sorry for the trouble you've been caused.
Since you have contacted support to send it in, please leave me your case number so we can help you follow up it, thank you very much in advance!
2017-7-6
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator

NerdyGuy Posted at 2017-7-5 13:08
Yep.... same story as mine.    Tested in my office... LITERALLY the remote and the phone are RIGHT next to the Spark and it's losing signal.... Ummmm, how?!
Might have to request a return.   This is bad!

Would you please fly the drone outside, in an open area to check the performance? Thanks.
2017-7-6
Use props
NerdyGuy
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

DJI Natalia Posted at 2017-7-6 00:22
Would you please fly the drone outside, in an open area to check the performance? Thanks.

Same.  Even tried switching to just 2.4ghz only.   TOTALLY same issue.  It was SO bad, that I had the controller phone set up, Spark was in the sky, less than 75 ft, I couldn't even send a RTH to the machine in flight.  The battery was getting low, like 24% and I could NOT send the RTH command to it.  I was fearing that I would have to let the battery die to allow for auto RTH.   I eventually was able to squeak an RTH to the device if I was RIGHT BELOW IT..   I honestly have ZERO trust in this device.   As I mentioned previously.  I will wait for ONE firmware upgrade, if not fixed at that time, I would like to get a return issued.   I can't fly this bird if I have no control over it.   It is VERY, VERY unsafe to have a flying guillotine in the air.   I cannot keep this device if it is that unsafe.    This is my 3rd DJI product.   Osmo Mobile, Mavic and now the Spark.  Please get this issue fixed, as I will not be flying it until it is resolved.

2017-7-6
Use props
NerdyGuy
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Just how bad IS the connection to the Spark from the controller.   Check out this video:
2017-7-6
Use props
NerdyGuy
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

DJI Natalia Posted at 2017-7-6 00:22

Please see the video I shot for you that shows the signal issue.  In this thread.
2017-7-6
Use props
NerdyGuy
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

I just ran another outdoor test.
Literally constantly disconnects.  Absolutely unuseable... unless all I want to do is gesture control.... then why did I buy the FM package?   Either I have a defective product or you have a SERIOUS issue.   I will say it one more time.   Must be fixed in first firmware upgrade, or I want to return it.  I have a Mavic and know what it's suppose to do & it is NOT doing what it's suppose to.   How do I set up a return/refund?
2017-7-6
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator

NerdyGuy Posted at 2017-7-6 16:40
Please see the video I shot for you that shows the signal issue.  In this thread.

Thank you very much for the video and detailed description.
Would you please connect the drone to a PC and run Assistant 2 then export the data from black box so we can forward it to engineers for further evaluation at your most convenience.
Appreciate your support and patience!
2017-7-7
Use props
NerdyGuy
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

I think I may have solved the problem... But will only tell you for $3000.   Or an Inspire 2!  

I have to get a fresh charge on things.  I know the tests that I have to do... I'll get back to you.
2017-7-7
Use props
NerdyGuy
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

yoyotman Posted at 2017-7-1 08:50
DJI Natalia,

The link to my DJI Spark Black Box is as follows: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/4jdnwrve4xj09yp/AACnBaRPE56g1kprHGI80H-Ja?dl=0

Think I figured out the issue.... I'll post here if I got it.
2017-7-7
Use props
NerdyGuy
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

What I did was I downgraded the fw to .3xx  then upgraded it to .4xx & that TOTALLY worked..........until I got to the second battery, then it lost connection mid flight and dropped.  Sure glad I wasn't over the lake!
Error was aircraft disconnected.....then it slowly started to descend.     This TOTALLY feels like a thermal issue.  I don't think the bird is getting cool enough.  I SURE hope you guys can figure this out very soon, as I am leaving for vacation at the end of August.
2017-7-7
Use props
aponidavao
New
Thailand

It has been my issue also when Spark would just be disconnected with the remote control in less than 4-5 minutes flight. Can DJI find the solution as soon as they can?
2017-7-7
Use props
NerdyGuy
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

I prey this isn't a recall.... not so funny any more DJI... sounds like you might be getting a little bit of
Karma... (heh.... see what I did there?..)
2017-7-7
Use props
r.cicho
lvl.1
Flight distance : 118540 ft
United States

Click on a channel for it to go to when you click on 2.4 ghs... you will then need to conform.. it will reset and be on that channel on 2.4ght.. I hope this helps
2017-7-7
Use props
NerdyGuy
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

r.cicho Posted at 2017-7-7 16:24
Click on a channel for it to go to when you click on 2.4 ghs... you will then need to conform.. it will reset and be on that channel on 2.4ght.. I hope this helps

Thanks will try tomorrow
2017-7-7
Use props
drone-a-rama
lvl.4
Flight distance : 118 ft
United States

I'm having the exact same problem described in this thread.  I have my Android phone in airplane mode connected to RC via OTG, so the connection between the phone and the RC is solid.  But after about a battery's worth of flight time, successive flights become shorter and shorter because the drone and RC lose their connection.  The last few flights I was literally walking about five feet behind the drone, while moving it around my yard at eye level.  In less than 30 seconds, the connection was lost and the drone descended and hovered a foot off the ground waiting for a confirmation to land that it would never get because I had no way to communicate with it.  VERY frustrating to have the drove hovering right in front of me with no good way to even retrieve it.

Support asked me to try using just my phone to see how that goes.  I will for debugging purposes, but if I can't use this drone with the remote, then I can't use this drone.  Flying with the phone alone seems  WAY too unreliable (and limits the distance significantly)... though a totally unreliable RC isn't any better at this point.

I sure hope DJI is close to solving this one.  Until they get this sorted out, I don't feel comfortable even leaving my yard.  And even in the relative safety of my yard, one time the drone nearly landed in the pool before the connection was magically restored (which usually doesn't happen until well after the drone has landed, if at all).

Spark is amazing, but due to the reliability issues it feels like kind of a disaster at this point.
2017-7-7
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator

NerdyGuy Posted at 2017-7-7 15:06
What I did was I downgraded the fw to .3xx  then upgraded it to .4xx & that TOTALLY worked..........until I got to the second battery, then it lost connection mid flight and dropped.  Sure glad I wasn't over the lake!
Error was aircraft disconnected.....then it slowly started to descend.     This TOTALLY feels like a thermal issue.  I don't think the bird is getting cool enough.  I SURE hope you guys can figure this out very soon, as I am leaving for vacation at the end of August.

Sorry about that, would you please export the flight log which showing the accident as well?
Connect the drone to PC, run Assistant 2, click on "Upload Data--Confirm", choose the correct log then export it.
Since you tested it again, please export data from black box again, thank you in advance.
2017-7-7
Use props
NerdyGuy
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Sorry for the delay, our network provider is having issues.  Downloading assist now..  will get back to it tomorrow.    Maybe your team or someone not this forum, would want to try popping the color top off the unit.. if it's stable On 2nd battery, then you likely have a cooling issue.   I'll do it if you'll warranty it.
2017-7-7
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules