Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Osmo Pro or Sony a6500?
5421 18 2017-6-28
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
utkin
lvl.4
Flight distance : 237733 ft
  • >>>
Singapore

I am trying to choose between Osmo Pro and Sony a6500.
Fully featured camera Sony a6500 with descent lens will cost less that $2000 while Osmo Pro is more than $2100.
a6500 has even better 5 axis stabilisation, better sensor and lots of other good features that Osmo is missing.

So far I don't see why I should pay more to get less. I mean a6500 is sure winner. But maybe I don't see something? Can anybody tell where Osmo is better?
2017-6-28
Use props
utkin
lvl.4
  • >>>
Singapore

Really can Osmo Pro owners share why you opted for it?
so far I see that
a6500 offers 5 axis stabilisation vs only 3 in OSMO, 14 stops dynamic range vs 13 and max bitrate 100 mbps vs 60.

What am I missing? why less featured product is sold for higher price? There should be something in it. Or not?
2017-6-29
Use props
fivetonine
lvl.4
Flight distance : 985135 ft
  • >>>
Austria

You can't compare a camera with a bit of an optical image stabilization with a full-fledged gimbal that has a much higher range of movement. The Sony is an excellent small camera, with all advantages like portability and ruggedness, while the OSMO makes images REALLY stable. Two different things for two different usage scenarios.
2017-6-29
Use props
Salty777
lvl.3
Flight distance : 117077 ft
Malaysia

I know the camera in this vid is older, but I'm pretty sure the stabilisation will be similar:

My iPhone has on board stabilisation... it helps but is way off what a gimbal will do.
2017-6-29
Use props
DonBishop
lvl.2
United States

Sony.  You won't have to deal with DJI's customer service, which is about as bad as it can get.
2017-6-29
Use props
Salty777
lvl.3
Malaysia

DonBishop Posted at 2017-6-29 19:15
Sony.  You won't have to deal with DJI's customer service, which is about as bad as it can get.

Good point!
2017-6-29
Use props
DTK
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1943159 ft
Australia

You also get a reliable and ready to shoot camera without attaching the phone, the mic, or the use connection to it. Osmosis will sleep but never awaken. No auto continuous  focus and awkward to carry around with the camera dangling.
2017-6-29
Use props
utkin
lvl.4
  • >>>
Singapore

Thank you all!

It looks like Sony is definitely a better choice.  For the price difference I can buy 3rd party gimbal to cover extreme movement scenarios
2017-6-29
Use props
utkin
lvl.4
  • >>>
Singapore

Salty777 Posted at 2017-6-29 09:08
I know the camera in this vid is older, but I'm pretty sure the stabilisation will be similar:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QwzFVt4ZJlU

Sony a6500 and Panasonic GH5 are the only cameras with 5-axis sensor stabilization. So the video from older cameras cannot be served as an example
2017-6-29
Use props
Salty777
lvl.3
Malaysia

utkin Posted at 2017-6-29 23:55
Sony a6500 and Panasonic GH5 are the only cameras with 5-axis sensor stabilization. So the video from older cameras cannot be served as an example

Ok, this can....

2017-6-30
Use props
utkin
lvl.4
  • >>>
Singapore

Salty777 Posted at 2017-6-30 07:44
Ok, this can....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ptLggJ-Z65M

Obviously a6500 stabilisation cannot handle extreme movements. However as far as I know there are no 5 axis gimbals being compact and sold at reasonable price.
My point was that at the price of OSMO Pro I can buy excellent a6500 and a 3rd party gimbal.

And with all my respect I would like to hear opinion from Osmo Pro owners rather than speculations of how it could be...
2017-7-1
Use props
DTK
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1943159 ft
Mexico

You can look for all these video about Osmosis x5 on YouTube. If you are shooting while walking there will be a bobbing up and down movement in the video. People are buying z axis attachment to reduce the effect.
2017-7-1
Use props
T4Visuals
New

United States

Long time reader first time poster here.

I own the x5r (RAW version of X5) Osmo as well as the Sony A7SII and zhiyun crane (Gimbal) as well as the Ronin-M.  These aren't exactly the OP cameras in question but i think they're close enough to compare, and having worked extensively with both i think i have a qualified opinion.  

The big question is what are you using this for? Films, music videos, weddings, paid work, home movies? because your mileage will vary depending on which of these (if any) fit your needs

X5 (non RAW) Pros:
-Way better image than Osmo X3
-It's a easy to take and set up pretty much anywhere because it's small and self contained.
-Never worry about balancing the gimbal
-The video smoothness due the gimbal is gorgeous, and in camera stabilization on GH5 or 6500 I think is a long way from a gimbals smoothness
-Can be mounted on an Inspire Drone

X5 (non RAW) Cons:
-The codec of the non raw version of the X5 is really a problem.  It's pretty unforgiving and on top of that levels are tricky to nail on a phone screen. Knowing what i know i'd never use the X5 (non raw) on a pro job.  The image just doesn't stand up unless your environment is controlled (lighting etc) and you've tested the image extensively, meaning you record and immediately dump the footage to know if you're hitting the mark.  You just can't trust it otherwise.
-The system puts out AUDIBLE NOISE.  If you plan on shooting sound (meaning not music videos or wedding videos with a backing track) you need to seriously think about if this is right for you.
-Autofocus is a problem.  U tap the screen but it noticeably seeks sometimes drifting in and out of focus a number of times before landing (hopefully) on the right subject.  
-You're putting all your eggs in one basket in terms of gimbal, camera etc. so if one fails it ALL fails.
-Battery life is unbelievably limited unless you use a drone battery
-This is an expensive system considering the codec quality is lackluster (X5R is MUCH better)
-Shots are limited to a "gimbal look". Not every shoot calls for perfectly smooth shots.

Sony Pros:
-Better Codec than X5 (non raw)
-More Frame Rates
-Usable LOG formats and options that can stand up to some grading
-System independent of the Gimbal
-More mounting and accessory options
-A camera that can be used for photoshoots, flash triggers etc
-Good Autofocus depending on which lenses are used
-Many many many more lens options
-ITS QUIET!

Sony Cons:
-the need to buy a separate gimbal to achieve the smooth gimbal look
-its a bigger package (in terms of parts) that needs to be assembled once you buy all accessories you plan to shoot with

Honestly i would skip the X5 altogether and either get the x5r osmo (and extra hard drives) or the new x5s osmo when it comes out if u want to be in DJi's ecosystem or stick with Sony's 6300 or 6500 or Panasonic's GH5 and get a good gimbal solution (Ronin-M or Zhiyun Crane) and other accessories if they're in the budget. Again all this is based on needs, but i think that should get you in the ballpark as to what fits you.
2017-7-1
Use props
utkin
lvl.4
  • >>>
Singapore

T4Visuals Posted at 2017-7-1 22:06

I own the x5r (RAW version of X5) Osmo as well as the Sony A7SII and zhiyun crane (Gimbal) as well as the Ronin-M.  These aren't exactly the OP cameras in question but i think they're close enough to compare, and having worked extensively with both i think i have a qualified opinion.  

Thank you so much for the very detailed answer!
I shoot just for fun - i.e. family video, travels
2017-7-2
Use props
SimplePanda
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1719062 ft
  • >>>
Canada

T4Visuals Posted at 2017-7-1 22:06

Basically all of this ^^^.

I'm in the process of selling an X5/Osmo "Pro". It's literally the least "Pro" camera I own even next to consumer style cameras like the Sony A6x00 series and the image quality is truly, truly awful by comparsion. The log profile on an X5/Osmo is basically useless, especially compared to Sony.

Buy a dedicated gimbal if you want a gimbal (Zhiyun Crane is decent for the money if you want a one-hander, or a Ronin-M is great if you want to add things like a top monitor and want to use better cameras). Buy the Sony.

If I could have returned the X5 after trying it for a month I would have. As it stands, I'm going to lose 50% of the purchase price selling it used.

If you're just doing fun shoots / vacation videos - buy an Osmo X3. It's cheaper, you don't have to worry about focus, you can just set it to "normal" or "cinelike" and auto-exposure. Don't waste your money on the X5.

And honestly, if you have something like an iPhone 7 Plus or another smartphone with a decent camera just get the Osmo Mobile. No hyperbole: An iPhone 7+ is going to shoot nicer video than the X3.

2017-7-6
Use props
sirmotto
New
Flight distance : 33606 ft
Romania

SimplePanda Posted at 2017-7-6 08:12
Basically all of this ^^^.

I'm in the process of selling an X5/Osmo "Pro". It's literally the least "Pro" camera I own even next to consumer style cameras like the Sony A6x00 series and the image quality is truly, truly awful by comparsion. The log profile on an X5/Osmo is basically useless, especially compared to Sony.

I have Osmo with X3 and iPhone 7 Plus on osmo mobile, and no, the 7+ is NOT better then the X3. If u're into giving advaces, at least compare the 2 before texting. If u want the better image get the X3.
2017-8-4
Use props
SimplePanda
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1719062 ft
  • >>>
Canada

sirmotto Posted at 2017-8-4 12:40
I have Osmo with X3 and iPhone 7 Plus on osmo mobile, and no, the 7+ is NOT better then the X3. If u're into giving advaces, at least compare the 2 before texting. If u want the better image get the X3.

I guess; if you like over-sharpened, high noise video with severe codec deficiencies and effectively no real latitude.

No joke, the X3 is one of the worst cameras I've ever used from an image quality perspective. Simply hideous.

2017-8-4
Use props
sirmotto
New
Flight distance : 33606 ft
Romania

Who can not write blames the pen, mate.
2017-8-5
Use props
utkin
lvl.4
  • >>>
Singapore

Got chance to get hold of Osmo Pro and was disappointed a bit by clumsy and noisy construction. Not sure what the target audience of Osmo Pro is but in any case price/quality ratio is not competitive. The only thing that I liked was the grip.
Eventually I bought Lumix GH5 and Feiyu a2000 stabiliser. I am more than happy with features and the quality
2017-8-31
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules