DJI CrystalSky 5.5" Info and Early Thoughts.
3262 20 2017-6-29
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Mad_Angler1
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2741657 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

A Short look at the new Crystalsky 5.5" that I have been testing with the Mavic Pro, I really am extremly impressed with this device, the speed, screen and performance has been very good, its screen is very bright and colour reproduction is exceelent, very similar to iphone, also the touch screen is very good and responsive.

Overall this is very impressive product

2017-6-29
Use props
Visualkaos
lvl.4
Flight distance : 755988 ft
  • >>>
United States

can't wait to receive mine.   Nothing worse than getting a phone call in the middle of flight, not to mention  how hot the phone gets in the sun.  It will be nice to have a dedicated device that is meant solely for flying.  
2017-6-29
Use props
DTK
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1943159 ft
Australia

Since crystals my is shipping, and getting favourable review. Will dji tell what version of Android they are using? It definite tells us whether android 7 should be considered to run you dji go app.
2017-6-29
Use props
Jenee 2
Second Officer
Flight distance : 7852129 ft
Australia

I am more interested in getting the larger 7.85" but I was curious to know whether the ultra bright screen is necessary. How are you finding it out in bright sunlight?
2017-6-29
Use props
Nifty
lvl.2
Flight distance : 80138 ft
United States

I was interested in getting one to completely remove the phone out of the equation but I wasn't sure how it would work when mounting it to the RC. Do you have any pictures of your setup all connected together?
2017-6-30
Use props
StianGel
lvl.4
Flight distance : 686654 ft
Norway

I placed an order yesterday for a 5.5".
I get random app crashes on my phone while flying.
Still have not figured out how to mount it to my controller. Will need to machine and/or print something.
2017-6-30
Use props
Vliegende Holla
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1865751 ft
Netherlands

But the question is: Do's it crash?
2017-6-30
Use props
Visualkaos
lvl.4
Flight distance : 755988 ft
  • >>>
United States

StianGel Posted at 2017-6-30 07:00
I placed an order yesterday for a 5.5".
I get random app crashes on my phone while flying.
Still have not figured out how to mount it to my controller. Will need to machine and/or print something.

This is what I have found that should solve the mounting issue with mavic.  I haven't received it yet however it seems like it should work great.  mavic.https://flyhighusa.com/product/m ... r-mounting-bracket/
2017-6-30
Use props
DTK
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1943159 ft
Australia

So is this a review or an ad.We haven't heard anything since.
2017-7-1
Use props
Jenkins
lvl.3
Flight distance : 10814 ft
United Kingdom

What is the purpose of this product?
2017-7-1
Use props
Tviscomi
lvl.4
Flight distance : 106886 ft
  • >>>
United States

Jenkins Posted at 2017-7-1 05:25

Really?
It's used in place of your phone/tablet and offers the ultimate screen brightness in direct sunlight
2017-7-1
Use props
rydfree41
lvl.4
Flight distance : 153268 ft
United States

Jenkins Posted at 2017-7-1 05:25

It is a dedicated Android display device for the Dji Go apps . I don't think you can load or run any other apps on it .  The basic is a little brighter than most smartphones but the Larger Ultra brite version is supposedly a good bit brighter .  $$$ though .
2017-7-1
Use props
fans263bec12
lvl.1
Flight distance : 352260 ft
United States

OK. I've had mine for a few days now. It worked great until the new firmware update. Now I cannot log into my account in the app, which means I can only fly 100 feet up and 150 feet out. I can log into my account in the app using my iPad. Here is the really odd thing. I can use the browser to surf the internet on the CrystalSky, but the app does not connect to any network, so I cannot log into my account.
2017-7-2
Use props
Fortnight
lvl.4
Flight distance : 5403383 ft
  • >>>
United States

fans263bec12 Posted at 2017-7-2 07:20
OK. I've had mine for a few days now. It worked great until the new firmware update. Now I cannot log into my account in the app, which means I can only fly 100 feet up and 150 feet out. I can log into my account in the app using my iPad. Here is the really odd thing. I can use the browser to surf the internet on the CrystalSky, but the app does not connect to any network, so I cannot log into my account.

I am having the same problem,  I now have 100 feet up and 150 feet out flight restrictions on my P4P and Inspire 2 using the CrystalSky. If I use my iPad to turn everything on then unplug the iPad then plug my CrystalSky in all is fine. I had four flight last week no problems until 7.1.17.   I show that I am logged-in.
This stuff is getting old
2017-7-2
Use props
fans263bec12
lvl.1
United States

Fortnight Posted at 2017-7-2 09:15
I am having the same problem,  I now have 100 feet up and 150 feet out flight restrictions on my P4P and Inspire 2 using the CrystalSky. If I use my iPad to turn everything on then unplug the iPad then plug my CrystalSky in all is fine. I had four flight last week no problems until 7.1.17.   I show that I am logged-in.
This stuff is getting old

agreed. I paid $1000 for a drone that us supposed to fly 4 miles out and 400 feet up.
2017-7-2
Use props
Jenkins
lvl.3
Flight distance : 10814 ft
United Kingdom

Ok. Just seems like a lot of money for a bit more brightness.
2017-7-3
Use props
fans263bec12
lvl.1
United States

DJI needs to work out these bugs in the CrystalSky. Now I can log in, but for some reason, I can't get the update for the NFZ. And if I do, it is not transfering to my drone. I have to start with my iPad or phone, then switch to the CS. Lot of hastle.
2017-7-3
Use props
fans7939370f
lvl.2
United States

Got CrystalSky 5.5 hooked up to my Mavic. Connected CrystalSky to network. All was working well but the map didn't show any roads. I looked and saw 2 DJI GO 4 processes running and I stopped them both. Restarted DJI GO 4, logged in and the maps worked correctly?  Now that the map is working I'm pretty happy with the CS. It's very viewable outside and just looks better than my iPad mini inside too. Pretty impressive. Having some minor issues. Zoom not working with the stick. It is kind of heavy but you don't have to worry about the battery as much.  Viewing videos from the SD card works better than you would think for a 5.5 screen.
2017-7-9
Use props
Woodwanger
lvl.4
United Kingdom

fans7939370f Posted at 2017-7-9 19:32
Got CrystalSky 5.5 hooked up to my Mavic. Connected CrystalSky to network. All was working well but the map didn't show any roads. I looked and saw 2 DJI GO 4 processes running and I stopped them both. Restarted DJI GO 4, logged in and the maps worked correctly?  Now that the map is working I'm pretty happy with the CS. It's very viewable outside and just looks better than my iPad mini inside too. Pretty impressive. Having some minor issues. Zoom not working with the stick. It is kind of heavy but you don't have to worry about the battery as much.  Viewing videos from the SD card works better than you would think for a 5.5 screen.

How did you mount it onto the Mavic RC?
2017-7-9
Use props
Twirlip
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2461545 ft
United States

I've had my 5.5" CrystalSky for a couple of days.  Have had some growing pains getting up and running, but since then it's been working great.

Mounting it:  It doesn't even vaguely fit into the slots on the Mavic controller (it's way too thick for that).  I've gone with a DIY Velcro solution that I saw someone mention, and it works pretty well.  Get some sticky-backed Velcro strips, stick one set (trimmed appropriately) to the top surface of the RC controller's "arms", stick the other strips to the underside of the CrystalSky, and it's held reasonably well.  Kludgy-looking, but seems to work well enough.

Maps:  I didn't have any maps at all, and there were Chinese symbols in the maps display.  I gather it was trying to use a Chinese map provider (when you take it out of the box on arrival, the CS is configured for China).  Following a tip on the forum, I reset the device, then set the timezone from the default Hong Kong one to my local US time zone before running DJI GO 4, and that cleared up the problem.  I now have US maps.

However, I did run into one very annoying frustration in the process.  After resetting my CrystalSky, the DJI GO 4 app insisted it had no network connection, even though the device clearly did (it showed as connected to my home Wi-Fi, and I could open a web browser on it just fine).  With the DJI GO 4 app thinking it can't connect, it couldn't log in, which means it couldn't run, which meant my shiny new CrystalSky might as well have been a doorstop.  After an hour or two of fussing and fuming and re-trying various random combinations of things (resetting, setting the time zone, connecting WiFi, disconnecting WiFi, running the app, yadda yadda), eventually it was able to log in.  No idea what did the trick, it was basically "randomly bang on it until it works."

So that was aggravating.  Once it finally connected, though, it's been working great and no complaints since then.  Flew the Mavic several times outdoors midday on a partly-cloudy day, and the display was nice and bright-- way brighter than my phone.  And the battery life is fantastic; I went through 3 Mavic batteries and still had like 80% charge on the CrystalSky.

My main motivations for getting the CrystalSky:
- Brightness.
- Better battery life than a phone.
- Get the DJI GO 4 app the heck off my phone.  I hate it there.  It drains my battery all the time in the background, it insists on scary-big permissions to do anything and everything to my phone, it has a reputation for crashing a lot on Android phones (though it didn't for me).
- Use a dedicated DJI product, which is a controlled hardware with controlled OS with controlled app, which I suspect means it'll generally be a more stable, reliable experience going forward.
2017-7-17
Use props
gnirtS
Second Officer
Flight distance : 5712575 ft
Cayman Islands

How does it handle direct sun and heat?  A lot of mobile devices overheat and throttle themselves in the direct sun when flying.  Is Crystalsky the same or does it handle it better?
2017-7-17
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules