Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Calibrating on a boat
1456 6 2017-7-1
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Byte
lvl.4
Flight distance : 4654491 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I'm heading off for a 3 week shoot on a boat tomorrow.
I've just calibrated my imu and compas at a local field, but tomorrow I'll be driving several hundred miles and getting straight on a vessel. I then won't be touching dry land for three weeks.

Any tips on calibration down the line (Also on take-off/landing on large ships at sea)?
2017-7-1
Use props
Dobmatt
Captain
Flight distance : 1831050 ft
  • >>>
Canada

Naturally IMU calibrating on sea doesn't make any sense unless you set the drone on pendulum table in the cabin . No need for this anyway, compass calibration no needed as well unless clearly required by the app. Check the sensors reading at destination, compass should display value around 1400. If you must, do the compass calibration somewhere near the port before boarding. Definitely NOT on the ship, unless she's made of bamboo wood entirely ...
2017-7-3
Use props
David Bartenfie
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3784321 ft
  • >>>
United States

Remember to set home point to the RC just in case.  Also remember that when you lift off the drone will immediately appear to be moving in relation to the movement of the boat.
2017-7-21
Use props
David Bartenfie
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3784321 ft
  • >>>
United States

2017-7-21
Use props
CloudVisual
Captain
Flight distance : 97545420 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

David Bartenfie Posted at 2017-7-21 15:51
Remember to set home point to the RC just in case.  Also remember that when you lift off the drone will immediately appear to be moving in relation to the movement of the boat.

Erm... Exactly why you always take off in Atti from a boat or any moving platform.
2017-7-29
Use props
Mark Guille
Captain
Flight distance : 2031818 ft
Jersey

If the app tells you there is a compass issue, it may be due to the fact that the bird is sitting on a metal deck, lift it above your head (or get a friend to hold it aloft) while you take off. Calibrating your compass (or IMU) onboard a boat is asking for trouble.

Mark G.
2017-7-30
Use props
Mark Guille
Captain
Flight distance : 2031818 ft
Jersey

I just spotted the date of this post, it can get a bit confusing when people trawl through old posts.
2017-7-30
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules