Fireworks
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fans19ae447e
lvl.1
Canada

Hey! 4th of July is around the corner! Is it legal to fly my bird in the dark filming fireworks?
2017-7-3
Use props
fredq2
lvl.4
Flight distance : 133287 ft
United States

FAA "guidelines" say no, but they are guidelines. Their web page is updated for upcoming holiday and it says dont do it, but I dont think its strictly illegal. You may have more of an issue with local law enforcement who wouldnt be able to decipher the nuances of FAA guidelines and may potentially come looking for you if your drone is spotted.

So in summary, I think your question is "Should I...". If you take precautions you could. I did it last year from the opposite side of the viewing area (no people), stayed under 400' and not directly in line of fire. Not sure i would do it again for public fireworks - dont want to meet the cops that way. Definitely will do it for personally launched fireworks.

Check your camera settings and maybe turn off the front lights although that makes you drone harder to see (even at dusk/dark)
2017-7-3
Use props
Lowspark420
lvl.1
United States

I'm a newbie...going to try it for the first time tonight. We live across the street from a country club that does a display...just going to launch from my driveway, go up to about 150 - 200' and see what kind of pictures/video I can get...

Good luck to any fellow newbie's attempting the same...fly safe!
2017-7-3
Use props
#shotxclvck
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3423297 ft
United States

i definately will.....only way to find out is to do it.....most people will say no just because thats how they live life....we have maybe 20- 23 mins of battery time on a good day......push the limit....only thing they could say is bring it down of course by then imagine the footage thats already captured  .....dont ask just Do!
2017-7-3
Use props
fredq2
lvl.4
Flight distance : 133287 ft
United States

#shotxclvck Posted at 2017-7-3 11:05
i definately will.....only way to find out is to do it.....most people will say no just because thats how they live life....we have maybe 20- 23 mins of battery time on a good day......push the limit....only thing they could say is bring it down of course by then imagine the footage thats already captured  .....dont ask just Do!

For public display you could get arrested. forbes article on drones/fireworks

See previous post = Im not against it but caution and good planning is critical for this, not "just do" and "push the limit". Liability alone could be substantial if flying at a public fireworks display. Even though I had setup opposite side (no people) when I flew last year I experienced compass errors, the drone stopped responding to input and my P3P flew out of sight - pretty nerve wracking in the dark with front lights turned off. I was able to gain altitude to buy some time and switch to ATTI and bring it back. This is why I wont fly over public displays in the dark.

Personal fireworks? I might try flying through them since drone is insured.
Part 107 operator at Philly fireworks last week. He asked permission first

6/30 Philly fireworks
2017-7-3
Use props
#shotxclvck
lvl.4
United States

fredq2 Posted at 2017-7-3 11:29
For public display you could get arrested. forbes article on drones/fireworks

See previous post = Im not against it but caution and good planning is critical for this, not "just do" and "push the limit". Liability alone could be substantial if flying at a public fireworks display. Even though I had setup opposite side (no people) when I flew last year I experienced compass errors, the drone stopped responding to input and my P3P flew out of sight - pretty nerve wracking in the dark with front lights turned off. I was able to gain altitude to buy some time and switch to ATTI and bring it back. This is why I wont fly over public displays in the dark.

That sux for you we don't ask permission, I live in Cali we do it different here ........fly more.....that way you won't be so nervous!
2017-7-3
Use props
#shotxclvck
lvl.4
United States

Lowspark420 Posted at 2017-7-3 10:37
I'm a newbie...going to try it for the first time tonight. We live across the street from a country club that does a display...just going to launch from my driveway, go up to about 150 - 200' and see what kind of pictures/video I can get...

Good luck to any fellow newbie's attempting the same...fly safe!

that's how you do it.
2017-7-3
Use props
fans19ae447e
lvl.1
United States

Thanks for the replies. I'm definitely new to this  almost 6 hours of flight time haven't taken much other footage than my yard
2017-7-3
Use props
Duchunter
lvl.4
United States

Quotes from Forbes: "the FAA is looking into multiple incidents in which unmanned aircraft flew into fireworks displays to determine if there was any violation of federal regulations or airspace restrictions." " The FAA's response seems to indicate the agency is mostly concerned with the "into" flights, not the "near" flights.  That's good news for those who hope to safely create stunning videos of fireworks displays." "Hobbyist and recreational flights of model aircraft do not require FAA approval, although the FAA does note that "all model aircraft operators must operate according to the law." as far as Coast Guard safety zones go: "There is some ambiguity when it comes to safety zones.  Specifically, do they include airspace?  The text of the regulations suggests no's

With that said, yes you can fly around fireworks displays as long as its not an nfz or a tfr area. Nowhere does the faa say you cant fly at night and I could give 2 *hits about what the ama says. I didnt drink the ama coolaid so I dont care.  As far as the lights go, there is an auto off in the camera settings that will turn off the lights when you start filming and turn them back on when you stop. Dont fly over people and stay well clear of the display area. Also, if your going to do it stay as far away as possible from people and be prepared to sacrifice your quad if it glitches out and stops responding to stick inputs properly. Your gonna have to CNC that sucker into the ground if necessary. Its just not worth the risk to people and property. Now lets see what kinda response I get from the drone police for saying that. I imagine some made up laws are sure to follow or comments about how the ama governs drone flights which btw is in no way factual but i imagine its coming anyway. Bring it on!
2017-7-3
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules