Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
BriRi
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1538845 ft
United States

DoraeMonZ Posted at 2017-8-3 20:13
After I got my result back from DJI Support, below is what they said:

For your claimed case CAS-796810-V3K3D2, we have already finished the analysis, and the result is as follows:

Yep, unfortunately DJI gets to call us liars because we can't retrieve our defective drones. What a great customer service experience it has been for me and many others in the same boat.

Good luck on your case. I'm still fighting with them over mine!!!
2017-8-4
Use props
Charles Adams
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3821312 ft
  • >>>
United States

For your claimed case CAS-796810-V3K3D2, we have already finished the analysis, and the result is as follows:

I am very concerned by this response.  My primary use case is using the drone while boating.  If mine were to suddenly lose power and ditch, I would not be able to recover my drone.

My question to DJI (already asked in another forum topic, and repeated here):  Is flying over deep water a use case that is not recommended or prohibited?  My assumption is that if this is not an unusual or prohibited use case, that you would honor the warranty.
2017-8-4
Use props
Charles Adams
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

I really need to learn how to view and review the logs (details of the logs).  I say this from career experience:  Lack of data IS data.

If the product is designed to log power down events, flight events, landing events, user commands, etc, and if the logs are expected to all contain a power up and a power down event, then lack of logs (a sudden loss of logging) IS a data point.  It shows abnormal termination of functionality.
2017-8-4
Use props
PaTaRnAk
lvl.3
Flight distance : 83383 ft
United States

Charles Adams Posted at 2017-8-4 08:54
I really need to learn how to view and review the logs (details of the logs).  I say this from career experience:  Lack of data IS data.

If the product is designed to log power down events, flight events, landing events, user commands, etc, and if the logs are expected to all contain a power up and a power down event, then lack of logs (a sudden loss of logging) IS a data point.  It shows abnormal termination of functionality.

As an electronic engineer, I totally agree with you! But they will argue that closing the app on the phone will end the log exactly the same way…
2017-8-4
Use props
BriRi
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1538845 ft
United States

Charles Adams Posted at 2017-8-4 08:54

Charles,

I totally agree with your assertion that lack of data is data.

DJI keeps repeating their "its inconclusive" mantra because the flight log abruptly ends. If the aircraft is lost then no dat files can be evaluated.

The flight log AND customer/consumer description is therefore the available evidence for them to review and make their decision on what happened. They have chosen to give their consumers ZERO credibility in resolving these claims. That is just another way of saying we are liars or scam artists.

BTW, I have asked multiple times, thru email and in open forum, for DJI to post what a flight log would look like if it shut off in flight from catastrophic error.  I then wanted them to compare it to my log and others having these issues and show us the differences and/or similarities between the two..... No answer yet. Go figure.
2017-8-4
Use props
Belchski
lvl.1
Flight distance : 57159 ft
Canada

hallmark007 Posted at 2017-7-29 05:33
Usually compass is the responsibility of pilot, there are ways to check your compass is ok before you fly, there are also warnings, most of the compass problems are caused by picking up interference on the ground, not checking before you fly that your compass is good.

So most of what you have seen over at Mavic and here are not a fault of the aircraft, but rather flying in the wrong environment and being badly prepared to fly.

What if you did all that and flew in the same 10 acre field you flew in all day with no issues? Then all of a sudden on the 10th flight in the field you get Compass errors in flight and it just takes off and doesnt respond to the RC in ATTI mode at all?

What then? Pilot error?
2017-8-4
Use props
robli67
New
Flight distance : 3399 ft
United States

Hello all,
I have just ordered my Spark, before I found this thread. I can not cancel it as it has been shipped. I was wondering how many cases there are with this same issue? How many people have had something done to help with their issue?
I had been watching YouTube for a number of days learning what I could about the Spark and did not see or hear anything like this from the people posting.
I hope this gets solved soon. I would think the DJI would come to this thread and post something. It's been a number of days from the first post they should have found something. I would think that they would go out and test for them self's with different batteries and sparks.

Thank you all for posting here. I will think on what to do when mine gets here.

Cheers
2017-8-4
Use props
ArtistFirst
lvl.4
Flight distance : 986716 ft
United States

robli67 Posted at 2017-8-4 11:21
Hello all,
I have just ordered my Spark, before I found this thread. I can not cancel it as it has been shipped. I was wondering how many cases there are with this same issue? How many people have had something done to help with their issue?
I had been watching YouTube for a number of days learning what I could about the Spark and did not see or hear anything like this from the people posting.

To be sure,  they are looking at everything.

At the very least, you have to give them the respect for allowing threads on their own site about the issues.  They could very easily just zap the thread but they probably use it to figure out what the real numbers are of cases of "fallen birds" etc.
2017-8-4
Use props
Charles Adams
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Hello all,

I think you will be happy with your purchase.  I'm very happy with my spark.  I'm flying within my limits, I'm following the regulations, and I'm having a great deal of enjoyment with the spark.

That being said, there is another thread where an individual who attempted to exercise his/her warranty (after the spark lost power and ditched in deep water) hasn't received a satisfactory result.

There is an instance on youtube of a mavic saving a spark off of a water tower.  26 seconds in, one can view the spark just "dropping" like a stone.

Thus far I'm an advocate of DJI and the Spark.  But since my use case is flying from a boat (over water), I want to know that I can have confidence in DJI and their willingness to honor their warranty, and replace my spark if it ditches in the water through no mistake of my own.  Evidence so far is that they are not willing to do so.

I call a spade a spade:  Spark is great!  DJI has been great so far, but they should honor the warranty if the data demonstrates that the pilot didn't make a mistake.  In this one case, it seems that they are using sudden loss of telemetry to conclude that there is no evidence of equipment failure.  The opposite is true:  sudden loss of telemetry shows catastrophic equipment failure, not pilot error.

In any event, I think you will be happy with your purchase.
2017-8-4
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Belchski Posted at 2017-8-4 10:13
What if you did all that and flew in the same 10 acre field you flew in all day with no issues? Then all of a sudden on the 10th flight in the field you get Compass errors in flight and it just takes off and doesnt respond to the RC in ATTI mode at all?

What then? Pilot error?

No if there is a malfunction this is obviously not pilot error, and I haven't said anything different.
2017-8-4
Use props
PaTaRnAk
lvl.3
Canada

BriRi Posted at 2017-8-4 07:39
Yep, unfortunately DJI gets to call us liars because we can't retrieve our defective drones. What a great customer service experience it has been for me and many others in the same boat.

Good luck on your case. I'm still fighting with them over mine!!!

Did not have the result of their so-called "Data analysis", but I expect the same result.. And I will also fight it.. This way of dealing with customer is just wrong.
2017-8-4
Use props
Belchski
lvl.1
Flight distance : 57159 ft
Canada

hallmark007 Posted at 2017-8-4 13:31
No if there is a malfunction this is obviously not pilot error, and I haven't said anything different.

But you did say that most of us here and at Mavic are likely to blame and not likely possible its a malfunction.

I'm ok with that position. I've flown a lot of drones and have had my fair share of pilot errors so I know what that means.

But Ive never seen a drone behave like mine did before. Thats all... hope I and others can resolve with DJI. Love the Spark, Mavic, P3, P4.

2017-8-4
Use props
Onomarn
lvl.2
Flight distance : 4728 ft
United States

They say they are giving us the 30% coupon to the loss as much as possible.

Reduce my loss as much as possible? I basically paid 759 USD (Drone fly more combo + Dji Care Less) for a drone that after 4 days of owning went crashing into the ocean because of a power cycle or something that you guys will refuse to admit to. I've had other drones in the past and this has never happened.

When a similar issue (not the exact same issue probably, but may never know because DJI won't say anything other than its a "known issue that affects a "small" number of drones) happened to GoPro, they sucked it up and recalled all their drones, fixed the issue, then put it back up for sale a few months later. Y'all need to take a lesson from GoPro.

Offering users 30% off a new drone to replace the one they lost due to an issue that DJI refuses to fully admit is ridiculous. The way I see it and probably others do to is, you basically want us to throw more money at you so we can buy another drone that may or may not go crashing again, and then say oh sorry for your loss here is another 30% off another drone.

I'm sorry but the forums here have over 50+ cases in total (there was a running list until a moderator deleted it) and you are still trying to hide how big its become? I know that this is a new drone and issues are expected to arise, though with most companies you will be well taken care of after the fact, but with DJI nope thats not the case.  All I've seen so far is "please post your flight logs and we will analyze the data". That data is analyzed then nothing happens other than "sorry for your loss".

Here's my data http://app.airdata.com/main?share=IJTmsT As you can see everything was ideal, from temp to visibility. At the end of the recording I was 58m (190+feet) in the air. The drone ceased to respond to commands and fell from the sky like a brick into the ocean. Luckily it was prior to 8am and the beach was mostly empty. The only thing DJI can say is: Thanks for your patience.

For your claimed case CAS-800296-L6J0Q3, we have already finished the analysis, and the result is as follows:

1.The aircraft worked at GPS mode, and responded to RC command perfectly;
2.T=02:20, H=58 m, D=39.1 m, battery power 85%, the pilot pulled down the throttle stick fully, and the drone had the falling speed of 1.5m/s, then the flight records was interrupted;
3. Take off point:36.6100290,-121.8965219; last point:36.6102157, -121.8961493. The subsequent flight situation was unknown, which could not determine the cause of the accident.

With the record ended without any sign of abnormality, we could not verify what happened afterwards.

We truly appreciate your support for DJI, and especially applied for a 30% off coupon for aircraft without charger and remote:
http://store.dji.com/product/spark

This "Evelyn" from DJI support must be very busy, because the same name is responding to everyones case, luckily the answers are from a script. If I got the drone back from the ocean, I'd probably get a similar response, we will analyze your data and get back to you. Oh the flight data is inconclusive.
2017-8-5
Use props
mike219
New

Israel

After reading these posts and the responses from DJI, I have decided not to order a Spark. I was really looking forward to having it but I'm not in a position to throw away $350, assuming that DJI would admit to my claim and give me the 30% discount. I hope that the problems are resolved soon.
2017-8-5
Use props
fansf2304bca
lvl.3
Flight distance : 952664 ft
Chile

Some people say that the number of this falling from the sky cases are minor. Now I wonder. If this would be really true, DJI would replace the drones. May be they don't send a new one because it would be very costly for them because it is happening to so many people. I'm really concerned about this.
2017-8-5
Use props
Onomarn
lvl.2
Flight distance : 4728 ft
United States

Has anyone else received a updated offer from DJI? Beyond the 30% off?
2017-8-8
Use props
PaTaRnAk
lvl.3
Canada

Onomarn Posted at 2017-8-8 13:08
Has anyone else received a updated offer from DJI? Beyond the 30% off?

Still no news for my case after 2 weeks... I will keep you posted when I get that 30%..
2017-8-8
Use props
Komoran7
New
Australia

Hello all,

Mate same here, I watched nearly every youtube clip on the thing, first one fell twice for no apparent reason! returned it to the store and got an exchange.
2017-8-8
Use props
Komoran7
New
Australia

In Australia we have consumer rights, so regardless what DJI say we are protected when we make a purchase. I returned mine to JBHIFI and got a replacement one straight away, contacted DJI and they transferred my cover to the new drone. This one did fall from the sky however that may have been pilot error. Now I no longer trust the drone, I use it in line of sight that's it! also only fly over obstacles I know I could climb up if retrieval was required. I expected a lot better from such a reputable company, it was a disappointing experience and caused unnecessary stress.

My recommendation;

Buy it in store from JBHIFI Australia, they have the best returns policy and after sales service.

Buy the insurance from DJI

Do not fly over people, water or difficult terrain, always expect the thing to crash. Disappointing yet it's not how I feel about it.

Part of me regrets not buying the parrot as the mini drones served me quite well. They are also built to crash, unlike the spark - one small hard landing and the propeller guard broke apart on impact...

The drone feels quite heavy and looks like a quality build, the camera is outstanding in photo mode and much better than any other 1080p video I have seen.

WHATS WITH THE MEMORY CARD ERROR DJI???!!! If you use a memory card over 32gb and have an iPhone or Mac it will not be able to transfer the file, I swapped out my 64gb for my 32 and it now works fine. Just disappointed all these little unknown problems keep popping up...
2017-8-8
Use props
fans422c8903
lvl.1
Flight distance : 1952 ft
United States

fans422c8903 Posted at 2017-7-17 17:45
Same exact issue with me. Put in the new battery, went up to 200', 2:30~ minutes into straight vertical flight and it gave me a "lost connection" notice on my phone (if I remember correctly), and before I knew it this thing was in pieces about 15' away from me broken all over the ground.

Sending it in tomorrow. I hope to get a new spark because this was not an error on my part, many many others experiencing the same issue. I probably won't feel at ease flying this thing around anymore. I could have hit a building, car or person and it wouldn't have been only a scratch to whatever or whoever was on the receiving end.

Here is my original post.

I received a spark with a new wifi ssid and password, which means it's an entirely new spark, right? I assume so since I needed to completely redo all the updates and whatnot. Still need to connect/sync my controller and put on the props to test it out tomorrow.

I did not like how they just tossed the controller in the box without any sort of covering, it was flying around in the package during delivery, could have damaged a joystick. The drone however came in the original case safe and secure with a new battery as well.
2017-8-8
Use props
DJI Diana
Administrator
Flight distance : 2408 ft

SasaGazikalovic Posted at 2017-8-4 03:40
I bought my Spark two weeks ago in a retail shop for electronics here in switzerland. After three flights, on the fourth so about after 6 Minutes hovering at the height of 5 meters it just dropped dead and broke on the hard cement floor. The power was off and by reviewing the video , the picture just froze at the moment of the loss of power (or what ever) .. I brought the device to the repair center of the retail shop and the me that they will forward it to the DJI service center. I already ordered on the internet the remote control which arrived by nwo and is still in the package untouched. I wanted to take the Spark with me to holiday by ned of August but I lost all hope that I will ever hear soon something either by DJI or the retail shop. Sad when comparing to the Apple Care plus service which when once my apple watch broke just sent me in two days a replacement and took the broken one by courier.

Sorry for this, do you have a case number? If you could provide me with your case number, I'd like to escalate it for you.
2017-8-8
Use props
DJI Diana
Administrator

PaTaRnAk Posted at 2017-8-8 13:12
Still no news for my case after 2 weeks... I will keep you posted when I get that 30%..

What is your case number? Please provide me with it, I'll look into it and escalate it for you.
2017-8-8
Use props
SasaGazikalovic
lvl.1
Flight distance : 151175 ft
Liechtenstein

DJI Diana Posted at 2017-8-8 23:01
Sorry for this, do you have a case number? If you could provide me with your case number, I'd like to escalate it for you.

Hi Diana,
This is very kind of you and that would be indeed very cool if it is possible!
The case number I received from the Conrad Electronic Shop Switzerland who sent the broken Spark to DJI is the following :  27536181

Thank you very much!

Regards
Sasa
2017-8-9
Use props
DJI Diana
Administrator

SasaGazikalovic Posted at 2017-8-9 00:07
Hi Diana,
This is very kind of you and that would be indeed very cool if it is possible!
The case number I received from the Conrad Electronic Shop Switzerland who sent the broken Spark to DJI is the following :  27536181

Sorry, this isn't a case number from DJI,  the case number should begin with CAS-, please double confirm it with the shop!
2017-8-9
Use props
PaTaRnAk
lvl.3
United States

DJI Diana Posted at 2017-8-8 23:11
What is your case number? Please provide me with it, I'll look into it and escalate it for you.

My case number is CAS-827179-T7V8Z0. Thank you!
2017-8-9
Use props
SasaGazikalovic
lvl.1
Flight distance : 151175 ft
Liechtenstein

DJI Diana Posted at 2017-8-9 01:35
Sorry, this isn't a case number from DJI,  the case number should begin with CAS-, please double confirm it with the shop!

Dear Diana, please take my apologize I came to learn that this s*** retail shop gave me some internal case number and as it looks they haven't even sent it to DJI , you can not imagine how pi*** I am. One thing is for sure I will never ever buy anything there ..the shop is Conrad Electronic Switzerland .. I see your willingness to dive into the issue and to help me and am very grateful, I regret so much that I thought the broken Spark had to be handled by the warranty of the shop and second that I wasn't aware of DJI refresh .. I will let you know once I get hold of the DJI case number
2017-8-9
Use props
Y2JDMBFAN
lvl.1
United States

Komoran7 Posted at 2017-8-8 15:20
In Australia we have consumer rights, so regardless what DJI say we are protected when we make a purchase. I returned mine to JBHIFI and got a replacement one straight away, contacted DJI and they transferred my cover to the new drone. This one did fall from the sky however that may have been pilot error. Now I no longer trust the drone, I use it in line of sight that's it! also only fly over obstacles I know I could climb up if retrieval was required. I expected a lot better from such a reputable company, it was a disappointing experience and caused unnecessary stress.

My recommendation;

Which model is the Parrot equivalent to the Spark?
2017-8-9
Use props
PaTaRnAk
lvl.3
Canada

Here's an other video of a spark falling..

2017-8-9
Use props
Faraday
New
Flight distance : 6647 ft
United Kingdom

Yeah me too I had my spark fall out of the sky the day after I bought it.  It flew to the max permitted altitude however instead of hovering at the altitude it continued to climb higher without any controls being pressed all the while still in beginner mode and continued to climb in altitude until it lost connection and subsequently dropped from the sky and crashed onto a tin roof.  Damaged the props and a wing but didn't report any internal errors.  This was flying with just the phone app, I since bought the controller thinking that could be where the trouble was that the wifi wasn't strong enough and the Spark has performed even worse.  Yesterday giving me some compass error mid flight whilst up at a lookout and started flying like a drunk.  It ended up crash landing into a nearby bush where I could retrieve it.  Scared to fly again.

I've uploaded the crash from the sky log but it wont let me post the url here

www. phantomhelp .com/ logviewer /PWIFLPQ1K7C5KEAS54ZJ/
2017-8-9
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Faraday Posted at 2017-8-9 14:08
Yeah me too I had my spark fall out of the sky the day after I bought it.  It flew to the max permitted altitude however instead of hovering at the altitude it continued to climb higher without any controls being pressed all the while still in beginner mode and continued to climb in altitude until it lost connection and subsequently dropped from the sky and crashed onto a tin roof.  Damaged the props and a wing but didn't report any internal errors.  This was flying with just the phone app, I since bought the controller thinking that could be where the trouble was that the wifi wasn't strong enough and the Spark has performed even worse.  Yesterday giving me some compass error mid flight whilst up at a lookout and started flying like a drunk.  It ended up crash landing into a nearby bush where I could retrieve it.  Scared to fly again.

I've uploaded the crash from the sky log but it wont let me post the url here

Hey Faraday, would take a look at your log for you but it's not a proper link..
2017-8-9
Use props
fans72e8b49d
lvl.3
Flight distance : 5188369 ft
  • >>>
United States

Add me to the list. Here is my response from good ol DJI...
IMG_0892.PNG
2017-8-9
Use props
tjalex
lvl.4
Flight distance : 422375 ft
  • >>>
Chile

DJI Natalia Posted at 2017-7-4 18:15
We are sorry to hear the accident, just to verify, the battery was still on or off when you recovered it?
Please help us export the data from black box and flight log for further analysis.
Please download the latest Assistant 2 from DJI official Spark website, install it, then connect the drone to PC, run Assistant 2, you can get the file step by step, upload it to Dropbox and post the link here, thanks.Firstly, click on "Black Box", save it to local.

Hi Natalia, I read many of your forum and under you all problems are solve clear cut. This is my problem. My spark fell like a dead body and the technician after checking the log and the data agreed its the spark error not human. its like power shut off. it was only at about 33 meters and 16 meter distance.
after sendibg the data and the logs..DJI instead replacing a new one. They ask the shop to send it for repair. This is bad idea since the drone was in the fountain..deep fountain for 3 days. only then i managed to fish it out by the help of the fountain cleaner who came to clean after 3 days. that fountain are prohibited to swim even. Now. after checking, it look the whole hardware was so badly damaged by the cold water in santiago, Chile,
Can you please help me.. advice me..what you think. DJI still going to repair or replace. I am worried if thier trying to repair to cut cost. Bad idea. It is under waranty . Thanks.
2017-8-10
Use props
rockmsu
lvl.2
Flight distance : 90804 ft
United States

Honestly we should all start a class action suit against DJI until they have a proper recall and fix critical issues. Mine has not fallen from the sky but I'm a little worried to fly very far off the ground or over any terrain that isn't soft grass. There's a lot of false advertising in their promo videos that I'm sure a judge would rule in our favor.
2017-8-10
Use props
Patrick C
lvl.1
United States

tjalex Posted at 2017-8-10 06:35
Hi Natalia, I read many of your forum and under you all problems are solve clear cut. This is my problem. My spark fell like a dead body and the technician after checking the log and the data agreed its the spark error not human. its like power shut off. it was only at about 33 meters and 16 meter distance.
after sendibg the data and the logs..DJI instead replacing a new one. They ask the shop to send it for repair. This is bad idea since the drone was in the fountain..deep fountain for 3 days. only then i managed to fish it out by the help of the fountain cleaner who came to clean after 3 days. that found we are prohibited to swim even. Now. after checking, it look the whole hardware was so badly damaged by the cold water in santiago, Chile,
Can you please help me.. advice me..what you think. DJI still going to repair or replace. I am worried if thier trying to repair to cut cost. Bad idea. Thanks.

Generally, even if DJI classifies it under "repair" , if the damage is as severe as you say it is. They will replace your drone with a new one
2017-8-10
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

It's very interesting reading here, a lot of users have just been offered 30% discount and I understand their frustration, but a number of people who have returned Spark and received warranty, not one of them has insisted on getting results of what occurred during their flight and what caused the crash, this kind of information is extremely important to those who have lost their spark and being basically been given the bumsrush.
This data from your spark is yours you are entitled to get it from dji and you are entitled to receive a full an frank account of what is in your flight log and why because of reading your flight log they decided to offer you a warranty.
It's time for the guys who have received warranty to help those who have not.
2017-8-10
Use props
tjalex
lvl.4
  • >>>
Chile

rockmsu Posted at 2017-8-10 06:53
Honestly we should all start a class action suit against DJI until they have a proper recall and fix critical issues. Mine has not fallen from the sky but I'm a little worried to fly very far off the ground or over any terrain that isn't soft grass. There's a lot of false advertising in their promo videos that I'm sure a judge would rule in our favor.

Yes, i also bought the spark after watching youtube videos. Those who promoting so well we cant blame them since they still havent face any issue. soon they may. But sincerely, after watching many youtube and read many forum. Spark definitely will ruin the good name of DJI if they try not to solve it fast.
2017-8-10
Use props
tjalex
lvl.4
  • >>>
Chile

Patrick C Posted at 2017-8-10 07:01
Generally, even if DJI classifies it under "repair" , if the damage is as severe as you say it is. They will replace your drone with a new one

Hi Patrick, Thanks for your respond. I am so glad for now. Yes, The fountain is deep, the water was so cold. it fell on Friday evening, i went for 3 days but no one came to clean. On tuesday i went again. the guy was there. He was so kind to help me. He switch of the fountain to go in with long boots. use fishing net to pull it out. After i sent to the shop, They open and show it to me. It was like completely messed like as if it was frozen for years.  I really hope DJI will replace since it is under waranty and one month old. Sincerely after the fall. i lost hope and confident in spark and even mavic i lost confident . Hummm. Thanks alot.
2017-8-10
Use props
todoweb
lvl.2
Flight distance : 39035 ft
France

I can not get a response from DJI. Always the same answers, we apologize, we will answer you quickly ... But never a decision on the loss of my drone!
2017-8-10
Use props
Patrick C
lvl.1
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 2017-8-10 07:15
It's very interesting reading here, a lot of users have just been offered 30% discount and I understand their frustration, but a number of people who have returned Spark and received warranty, not one of them has insisted on getting results of what occurred during their flight and what caused the crash, this kind of information is extremely important to those who have lost their spark and being basically been given the bumsrush.
This data from your spark is yours you are entitled to get it from dji and you are entitled to receive a full an frank account of what is in your flight log and why because of reading your flight log they decided to offer you a warranty.
It's time for the guys who have received warranty to help those who have not.

I have requested a data analysis from DJI after receiving my spark which was replaced under warranty (almost 2 weeks ago). However it is strange I have not received an analysis, considering they determined it to not be pilot error. There is data somewhere, DJI has just not chosen to share it yet. Whether they know how to fix the issue or not.
2017-8-10
Use props
Charles Adams
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

In partial defense of DJI (and the moderators)...

I did testing to determine what the logs contained and under what circumstances.  My conclusion (my own, others are free to disagree) is that the logs do not always contain enough information to draw a conclusion as to why a spark went down.  My soap box issue has been that even if the logs cut off prematurely, this in and of itself is a data point that something bad happened.  And that remains true.  But WHAT that "bad thing" is can be difficult or impossible to determine from just the logs alone.

I've simulated a few accidents.  The logs do not provide enough information to determine the cause of the accident.  Having the spark gives DJI more data.

The more I look into the DJI care agreement, the more it seems that it is carefully crafted to require the drone must be available.  Honestly, it seems pretty customer friendly.  Pretty much anything can happen for any reason and DJI will fix or replace the drone, no matter how much or little the customer is at fault, as long as the drone is available.

What additional data would be sufficient in order to convince DJI to replace a lost drone?  I don't know.  Video of the incident may be compelling enough.  Eye witness testimony seems to be insufficient.

I would like more open conversation with the DJI moderators on what the have been able to determine from recovered craft.  I would like to see claims handled more expediently.  But as unpopular as it might be to say it:  DJI is within their rights to deny replacement of a drone when all that they have is a person's report and his flight logs.

I also happen to think that it might be good customer relations to replace such drones, but that's a different topic.

2017-8-10
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules