Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Onomarn
lvl.2
Flight distance : 4728 ft
United States

BriRi Posted at 2017-7-17 13:01
Onomarn,

Sorry for your loss. Good luck with your claim. Keep us posted.

Yes, sorry I was using the RC along with an OTG cable attached.
2017-7-17
Use props
fans2f95dcc9
lvl.1
Flight distance : 1726 ft
Singapore

hallmark007 Posted at 2017-7-17 06:53
Just go fly it that's what you got it for, none of the cases above have been analysed, so we don't know if this is a fault with hardware software or operator, one thing we do know is that some of the cases are similar and some are totally different, but it seems someone chooses to lump them altogether because maybe it will add to the drama.

It's par for what you will get on these forums, and can have the effect of putting the fear into new flyers. But when you break it down it's a tiny amount of sparks having problems, the vast majority are flying fine.

i crashed my spark within 24 hours and wrote to support on how the repair process. it's been 4 days and i've yet to get a reply from them... is that normal with you guys too?
2017-7-17
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

fans2f95dcc9 Posted at 2017-7-17 15:27
i crashed my spark within 24 hours and wrote to support on how the repair process. it's been 4 days and i've yet to get a reply from them... is that normal with you guys too?

Did you email this address, www.dji.com/support it usually takes less than 48 hours. You might be better PM a moderator here and they will help you.
2017-7-17
Use props
fans2f95dcc9
lvl.1
Flight distance : 1726 ft

hallmark007 Posted at 2017-7-17 15:37
Did you email this address, www.dji.com/support it usually takes less than 48 hours. You might be better PM a moderator here and they will help you.

yup i used the link and have pm-ed a moderator last night. hope to get some response within a day.

i've been reading about how bad the customer service is and i really hope to be proven wrong.
2017-7-17
Use props
fansb31f1926
lvl.1
Flight distance : 8819 ft
United States

Just interesting... I noticed in another thread the user experienced the power off on a  new battery. This was my experience as well. I ordered the battery from the DJI store on Amazon. It was the first flight on  the battery. Just adding this to the thread to see if this is at all related to the power off failure.
Jim
2017-7-17
Use props
fans422c8903
lvl.1
Flight distance : 1952 ft
United States

fansb31f1926 Posted at 2017-7-17 17:21
Just interesting... I noticed in another thread the user experienced the power off on a  new battery. This was my experience as well. I ordered the battery from the DJI store on Amazon. It was the first flight on  the battery. Just adding this to the thread to see if this is at all related to the power off failure.
Jim

Same exact issue with me. Put in the new battery, went up to 200', 2:30~ minutes into straight vertical flight and it gave me a "lost connection" notice on my phone (if I remember correctly), and before I knew it this thing was in pieces about 15' away from me broken all over the ground.

Sending it in tomorrow. I hope to get a new spark because this was not an error on my part, many many others experiencing the same issue. I probably won't feel at ease flying this thing around anymore. I could have hit a building, car or person and it wouldn't have been only a scratch to whatever or whoever was on the receiving end.
2017-7-17
Use props
BriRi
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1538845 ft
United States

Thanks for the input guys. What method of control were you using?

I've added you to the list in my post above. 30 cases and counting.

If you update/change your screen name please let me know so I can update list. Thanks
2017-7-17
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Tyger Posted at 2017-7-13 05:36
I had been flying my drone for 2 days after receiving it with gesture control, phone and RC. On the second day, I was using Palm Control and it simply went dead and dropped to the ground. Fortunately it was only about 6 feet off the ground, so it only had a few scuffs. Just as many above, when I powered it back on, it still had plenty of battery. It seemed to be ok after that, but I have filed a case and I'm exchanging it. I just wanted to chime in that this same issue happened to me also.

Sorry to hear about that.
May I know your case number so we can follow up it for you? Thank you!
2017-7-17
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator

Patrick C Posted at 2017-7-14 07:36
Update: My spark is at the repair center and has been given a quote, however DJI seems to expect me to use my DJI care refresh. It appears no one has looked into my case to determine the actual cause of the accident, because if it was, the cost should be covered under warranty. If any admin could help me communicate this I would be grateful. I don't think anyone has investigated my case, but instead only looked at repair.

I double checked your case, since you submitted it online and did not choose to do data analysis.
I have reported your concern to the local repair team, will check whether they can review the data to figure out why it happened.
Please click "Reply" button so I can get a remind, thank you!
2017-7-17
Use props
Flying Wolf_NOL
lvl.4
Flight distance : 345827 ft
  • >>>
United States

This thread has me scared to death! My spark should be here in a couple of days and now I'm a little scared tofly it!  I've had excellent experience with my P3 and P4P. Nothing like this has ever happened to me with those platforms. I'm sure the 30 or so people reporting this on this forum are a small percentage of the number of sparks sold worldwide - so it may not even be on the DJI radar. However, that's of little comfort to those who are affected.  I can't imagine my $700 (fly more) drone just dropping into a lake or smashing to bits without even going through the first battery!  

If the majority of these turn out to be equipment failure (rather than any pilot error), these units should be replaced under warranty - why wouldn't they be?  It's a manufacturing defect.  What am I missing here?
The product fails to perform as described within less than a week!  That product needs to be replaced.

I promise this; if this happens to my spark, I'll put my wife on the case. She has that certain way of getting things done!  Don't get her started!  {:4_173:}
2017-7-17
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator

fansda110482 Posted at 2017-7-14 01:42
My Spark also fell from the sky yesterday (

I was using the RC and an OnePlus3 Android phone.  I was flying in GPS mode at 226Ft altitude just above me at the edge of a large park with just a few buildings situated at around 90 ft from me

We are sorry to hear about the accident, since you have sent it in, may I have your case number? Thanks.
2017-7-17
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator

nwhit Posted at 2017-7-15 20:52
Just had the same thing today. My girls were flying with iPhone. Had flown short flights a few days ago, then 3 batteries worth a couple days ago, all without incident. Today on battery 3, were flying with iPhone in a normal outdoor practice flight at about 30' when it stopped, flipped and dropped. Power was off and the GO app said something like it taking off or something.

Fortunately we were at the local flying club airfield and it fell into weeds and soft dirt, so no damage.

Sorry to hear about that, have you contacted support to provide the data for analysis?
If no, would you please export the data for me so I can forward it to engineers?
Here are the instructions:
1. Download the Assistant 2 from DJI official Spark website page, install it.
2. Connect the drone to your PC, run Assistant 2, then click "black box", you can get the file.
3. Then click "Upload Data--Confirm", choose the log which shows the situation, and save it to local.
Please upload both files to Dropbox and post the link here, thanks.
2017-7-17
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator

fansb31f1926 Posted at 2017-7-16 04:00
Flying over a pond in back yard - power shut off and it dropped into the pond. Complete loss. Using the RC, fully charged battery, nothing odd or strange before it happened. Simply shut off and dropped like a rock.  I had video on and the video stops right before the power off. How do I diagnose? $500 20 foot under... How do I make a claim?

Jim

Jim, sorry about that, if you have contacted support, may I know did you get the case number?
Would you please export the data for me firstly so we can help you analyze it?
2. Connect the drone to your PC, run Assistant 2, then click "black box", you can get the file.
3. Then click "Upload Data--Confirm", choose the log which shows the situation, and save it to local.
2017-7-17
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator

djiuser_LL4G7fE Posted at 2017-7-16 05:22
same thing happened to me just now. loaded up 2nd battery, palm control launched, rise to about 30m (@42second) and it completely shut off and fall from the sky...was using RC and S8+(OTG connection)
i've lost my faith with it to fly again. sad.

Would you pleas export the logs so we can help you analyze it?
2017-7-17
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator

fansab7d98f9 Posted at 2017-7-16 11:06
My Spark disappeared 7/2/17 my controller disconnected my I-phone went dark and my Spark is gone have looked all over put out flyers but nothing. Had just calibrated it had satellites said return to home updated was green ready to fly, hit return to home but nothing. DJI case# CAS-764625-B7R9V9 I really hope I get a Spark just have to wait and hope. If I do get a spark I will never let it go very far i maybe I need to get a tethered like a surfboard and attach it to me

I just checked your case, you have synced the flight records successfully, the engineers will review the data and let you know the result, appreciate your patience!
2017-7-17
Use props
rickysuperdog
Second Officer
Flight distance : 929429 ft
Hong Kong

Most of the powered off case the flight log should be stopped at the middle and DJI cannot not analysis, therefore no warranty would be claim.
2017-7-17
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator

fans5d9349b7 Posted at 2017-7-17 12:42
My spark did the same today.  On the 3rd flight of a new battery (previous battery has several flights no issues) About 6 meters up it just died.  Luckily it wasn't damaged. The battery was at around 70% when it died. When I picked the Spark up it was totally shut down. I don't have an RC and it was connected to my iPhone.  Also caught it on a phone camera. YouTube Clip of fall.

Sorry about the accident, would you please export the logs so I can forward it to engineers for analysis?
2017-7-17
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator

Onomarn Posted at 2017-7-17 12:50
7/16/2017 Flying the Spark in Monterey. at 0700. I had been flying it all week with no issues. On this particular morning no issues were reported. Distance was about 170 - 200 feet away from me with a height of 288ft, with 80%+ battery life left. Little to no wind at the time of the flight. Out of no where my screen went blank and the drone dropped from the sky straight into the Pacific Ocean. I put on my dive gear and went looking, but viability was 1 to 2 feet. Long story short power got cut mid flight and the droned ended up in the Ocean. I currently have a ticket open, but still awaiting a reply.

Sorry about that.
Just to verify, you have synced the flight records through DJI GO 4, right? what's your dji account (e-mail)?
Do you have the cached video saved on you mobile device for that moment? If yes, please upload it to Dropbox and leave me the link, thanks.
2017-7-17
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator

fans2f95dcc9 Posted at 2017-7-17 15:27

What's your ticket number or e-mail address? We'll check the status for you.
2017-7-17
Use props
DK Sparky
lvl.2
Flight distance : 23255 ft
Malaysia

7/16/2017 Flying the Spark in Monterey. at 0700. I had been flying it all week with no issues. On this particular morning no issues were reported. Distance was about 170 - 200 feet away from me with a height of 288ft, with 80%+ battery life left. Little to no wind at the time of the flight. Out of no where my screen went blank and the drone dropped from the sky straight into the Pacific Ocean. I put on my dive gear and went looking, but viability was 1 to 2 feet. Long story short power got cut mid flight and the droned ended up in the Ocean. I currently have a ticket open, but still awaiting a reply.

Sounds just like war mine just did!!!!
2017-7-17
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator

fans422c8903 Posted at 2017-7-17 17:45
Same exact issue with me. Put in the new battery, went up to 200', 2:30~ minutes into straight vertical flight and it gave me a "lost connection" notice on my phone (if I remember correctly), and before I knew it this thing was in pieces about 15' away from me broken all over the ground.

Sending it in tomorrow. I hope to get a new spark because this was not an error on my part, many many others experiencing the same issue. I probably won't feel at ease flying this thing around anymore. I could have hit a building, car or person and it wouldn't have been only a scratch to whatever or whoever was on the receiving end.

Would you please export the logs firstly so I can forward it to engineers directly for analysis? Sorry for the accident.

2017-7-17
Use props
Onomarn
lvl.2
United States

http://app.airdata.com/main?share=IJTmsT

Flight Data link, it crashed during high tide.
2017-7-17
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator

hfog Posted at 2017-7-7 14:00
Thanks Natalia,
My case # is CAS-769770-R9W3Y6 .
I sent an email with all of the required information the day before yesterday but I haven't heard anything more since then beyond an automated acknowledgment email. If you really want to help, you could ask them to provide me with a status update.

I just checked your case, you want to send it in for repair but have not received the shipping label, I have reported your case to the local designated team, will look into it and have someone contact your for an update, sorry for the trouble caused.
Would you please export the logs for me firstly?

2017-7-17
Use props
hfog
lvl.2
Flight distance : 34583 ft
United States

DJI Natalia Posted at 2017-7-17 19:54
I just checked your case, you want to send it in for repair but have not received the shipping label, I have reported your case to the local designated team, will look into it and have someone contact your for an update, sorry for the trouble caused.
Would you please export the logs for me firstly?

The logs have already been exported and updated. Days ago.
2017-7-17
Use props
BriRi
lvl.2
United States

DJI Natalia Posted at 2017-7-17 19:05
Sorry to hear about that.
May I know your case number so we can follow up it for you? Thank you!

CAS-764980-S5Q2M9

DJI Natalie

Thanks for your interest in this issue. This exact scenario happened to me 2 weeks ago. I started a claim with DJI and submitted my flight logs. Unfortunately I was over a lake and the aircraft was not able to be retrieved.

I was told I did nothing wrong but they couldn't "prove" the aircraft did anything wrong. While that may be technically correct it is not what DJI must presume happened given the many similar cases occurring now. The aircraft shut off in flight right in front of me. I saw it . I heard it.

DJI offered 30% discount on a new drone. I think that is not acceptable from a customer service standpoint. I am going to continue to pursue having DJI replace my SPARK. I would appreciate any help you could provide.

This is their "analysis " of my flight log:
IMG_4062.PNG
2017-7-17
Use props
rickysuperdog
Second Officer
Hong Kong

BriRi Posted at 2017-7-17 21:40
CAS-764980-S5Q2M9

DJI Natalie

Same as my case and I don't accept the offer and refused to pay the repair cost. Also my Spark was still flying without issues but they claimed that the motor, propellers and the batteries were all damaged. It was dropped from above 5-6 feet to the ground and only some scratches.
2017-7-17
Use props
Blackforce
lvl.2
Flight distance : 33140 ft
United Kingdom

When people say only 30 are affected by this. That can't be right. There will be lots of people who don't even know these forums exist and just contact dji direct not even knowing that others are having this issue. It's not until this issue goes public that we will know the full extent. Like others, I am very nervous to fly my spark in the fear that it will just drop. Not a good feeling to have when it's your first drone.
2017-7-17
Use props
rickysuperdog
Second Officer
Hong Kong

Blackforce Posted at 2017-7-17 22:35
When people say only 30 are affected by this. That can't be right. There will be lots of people who don't even know these forums exist and just contact dji direct not even knowing that others are having this issue. It's not until this issue goes public that we will know the full extent. Like others, I am very nervous to fly my spark in the fear that it will just drop. Not a good feeling to have when it's your first drone.

After the previous shut off during flight, until DJI look in this issue and fix it before,
now I just hover on the air about 5-6 feet so that it will not hurt people if drop down again. Its really only a selfy drone to me now.

2017-7-17
Use props
LeChuck71
lvl.4
Flight distance : 68786 ft
Germany

Well it took GoPro 16 days to recall all sold Karma Units (appr. 2500, Nov. 8th 2016) because of a problem with the battery latches.
I think the numbers of Sparks sold is way higher but probably the issues reported are lower - I can imagine that DJI does not know whats happening because they can't reproduce the error.
Checking my pin connectors on the battery do not show any kind of problem. Battery is sitting pretty tight in its position with easy removal once you pressed both "buttons".

My main concern is lack of information we are getting from them - At the moment I do just low profile flights over grass to minimize damage. But that's of course not what the Spark was planned for.

2017-7-17
Use props
Cretu571
lvl.1
Flight distance : 108632 ft
Romania

DJI Natalia Posted at 2017-7-17 19:18
We are sorry to hear about the accident, since you have sent it in, may I have your case number? Thanks.

Hello Natalia, the case nr is: CAS-793708-C0S9D3
2017-7-17
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator

hfog Posted at 2017-7-17 20:03
The logs have already been exported and updated. Days ago.

Would you please leave me the link for log?I will forward it to engineers directly.
2017-7-18
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator

Cretu571 Posted at 2017-7-17 22:56
Hello Natalia, the case nr is: CAS-793708-C0S9D3

It has not been received recently, we'll take care of it for you after it arrives.
2017-7-18
Use props
BriRi
lvl.2
United States

Guess DJI Natalia is just going to ignore my request. Customer service is doing the same essentially.

They have apparently decided to refuse to take any responsibility for defective aircraft with mid air shut off if you are unable to retrieve that craft. They know it is an issue by now for sure.

Hopefully they correct whatever is at fault. Until then, fly safe. Have fun.
2017-7-18
Use props
Flying Wolf_NOL
lvl.4
Flight distance : 345827 ft
  • >>>
United States

Blackforce Posted at 2017-7-17 22:35

I agree, I was just repeating the number (30) that someone else had counted (to that point in the thread). I'm sure the number is much higher.  It's got me nervous.
2017-7-18
Use props
Onomarn
lvl.2
United States

BriRi Posted at 2017-7-18 05:06
Guess DJI Natalia is just going to ignore my request. Customer service is doing the same essentially.

They have apparently decided to refuse to take any responsibility for defective aircraft with mid air shut off if you are unable to retrieve that craft. They know it is an issue by now for sure.

Same here. I haven't gotten a response from anyone yet. Still awaiting, but am not holding high hopes for a replacement unit.
2017-7-18
Use props
Six
lvl.2
Flight distance : 350486 ft
United Kingdom

DJI Natalia >> I have a ticket number of #635300 following my email to DJI support. Support have told me to send my Spark in for a repair after if fell out of the sky as a result of a power down. I supplied the log files to support by I don't get the feeling they have looked at them. Is there any way you can look into this and find out what their analysis of my crash is?

Luckily I was over grass and not too high so there was no damage. Until I know what's going on I'm only flying low and over soft surfaces and certainly not water!!

Thanks
2017-7-18
Use props
fansb31f1926
lvl.1
Flight distance : 8819 ft
United States

DJI Natalia Posted at 2017-7-17 19:21
Jim, sorry about that, if you have contacted support, may I know did you get the case number?
Would you please export the data for me firstly so we can help you analyze it?

My case number is CAS-803499-G7Y5B1. All flight records were synced to the cloud. I sent in my proof of purchase, time of incident, RC serial # and description of the incident.

Your request for me to upload my data from the AC is pointless. I know exactly where the Spark is at the moment but it's under 30 feet of water.

I'm a fairly experienced RC pilot. Helicopters, Sailplanes, Gas, electric. This is not my first rodeo. I can say for sure the power shut off and the Spark dropped like a rock. No erratic movement, no warning, not during a highly stressful maneuver(hovering), it just shut down.  You will not find any data after the power shut off because there was NO POWER. I've learned over the years not to speculate as to the exact cause but I can tell you the symptom... NO POWER.
2017-7-18
Use props
Patrick C
lvl.1
United States

DJI Natalia Posted at 2017-7-17 19:13
I double checked your case, since you submitted it online and did not choose to do data analysis.
I have reported your concern to the local repair team, will check whether they can review the data to figure out why it happened.
Please click "Reply" button so I can get a remind, thank you!

Natalia,

Thanks. I am very anxious to have my drone back to fly again, but want to make sure this process is done correctly to prevent future crashes for both myself and others.
2017-7-18
Use props
Onomarn
lvl.2
United States

DJI Natalia Posted at 2017-7-17 19:43
Sorry about that.
Just to verify, you have synced the flight records through DJI GO 4, right? what's your dji account (e-mail)?
Do you have the cached video saved on you mobile device for that moment? If yes, please upload it to Dropbox and leave me the link, thanks.

Hi Dji Natalia,

Link for Flight Records: http://app.airdata.com/main?share=IJTmsT
Link to dropbox video of last flight: https://www.dropbox.com/s/tvcqj5 ... %2053%2051.mp4?dl=0
Case number: CAS-800296-L6J0Q3

I hope DJI can remedy this issue. It seems to be happening more and more often to more people.
2017-7-18
Use props
nwhit
lvl.3
Flight distance : 374 ft
United States

On another thread regarding this matter, the issue of possible bad battery batch or firmware came up. I do agree that the problem may be a batch of bad batteries. That is possible since these are "smart" batteries. For example, they are "shut off" when you get them and need to be on a charger for a minute or two before "activating". Thus not impossible that there is a firmware or hardware issue with a batch of batteries.

Would be a good idea for anyone who has had this problem to try isolating the battery used during the crash to see if other batteries have the same issue. In the case of my girls' crash, we had a battery that came with the bird plus 2 others purchased at a local shop, so the battery batches were different. Unfortunately, they are now mixed up so cannot remember which battery was used during the power-off crash.
2017-7-18
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules