Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Do my drones need constant God's blessing now to work?
888 3 2017-7-3
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Dobmatt
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1831050 ft
  • >>>
Canada

I’m sitting at Sam’s Pizza in Barriere BC (population 1500, give or take), on Yellowhead Hwy in Western Canada, kindly allowed to use restaurant’s WiFi. I’m trying to figure out why both my drones (Phantom 3 Pro and Inspire 1 Pro) suddenly refused to work on July 2nd. Again. Both displayed NO IMAGE TRANSMISSION SIGNAL statement on top of Go app screen. It’s happen twice already during last two weeks in totally remote, no cell/no WIFI/no civilization areas. As soon as I move back to nearest town, drones works as usual with no issue whatsoever. To post this thread I had to quit my wilderness aerial photographing in Rocky Mountains, drive 36 km with my birds and order pizza …

I’m afraid I’ve missed something just before departure for this 8 week long expedition, planned for months ahead. As herds of other happy droners were already on the move for summer destinations, our beloved DJI decided to release obligatory Go app update. What a great idea and perfect timing! The update comes with a twist, politely explained in an announcement released some couple weeks ago, which I missed to notice. In short, if you don’t update Go app on your device, your Phantom 3 or Inspire 1 will be crippled!

Both my drones are flying under previous version of Go app, 3.1.2 that is, and there was absolutely nothing wrong with this. However, apparently the noble idea of “don’t fix it if it’s not broken” doesn’t apply anymore … I don’t mind to update Go app to a required version - for whatever reason obligatory - but what if something do not go as smoothly as expected? What if Go app update performed at Sam’s Pizza restaurant will result in some sort of incompatibility with aircraft firmware? Shall I cancel my vacation plans, dump the entire idea of cruising expedition with my drones and tons of other imaging equipment? Shall I go back home  and perform all the necessary fixes in far less primitive circumstances, with solid access to a computer and cable Internet? Oh, wait, there’s better idea: stay at Sam’s Pizza, call DJI tech support and ask for advice … Pardon my sarcastic tone, grumpy old fart me …

Let’s pray it will be not required, because - dear DJI - I still adore you! And I don’t want this love to be tinted.

2017-7-3
Use props
RichJ53
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1837356 ft
  • >>>
United States

I hope you saw this new update
Rich

http://forum.dji.com/thread-103996-1-1.html
2017-7-10
Use props
fansa84fe8a4
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3 ft
United States

I'm confused about this as well per the link and this statement:

"2. For increased safety, the flight is restricted to a height of 30 m and distance of 50 m when not connected or logged into the app during flight, including DJI GO and all apps compatible with DJI aircraft."

Does this mean that anywhere we fly WITHOUT a cellular, internet, Wi-Fi, etc. that the drones will not operate any higher that 30m and 50m distance?  So any desert or mountain flying (No signals.) is off the table now?

I thought you only had to log in once and then you were good to go, and not log in every flight?

Clarification needed....

2017-7-10
Use props
Dobmatt
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1831050 ft
  • >>>
Canada

fansa84fe8a4 Posted at 2017-7-10 18:49
I'm confused about this as well per the link and this statement:

"2. For increased safety, the flight is restricted to a height of 30 m and distance of 50 m when not connected or logged into the app during flight, including DJI GO and all apps compatible with DJI aircraft."

No, this restriction (very reasonable, I must agree) is related to rarely practiced scenario of controlling your aircraft with RC only. Without display device and Go/Litchi app you'll fly blind, therefore maintaining VLOS should be mandatory.
2017-7-10
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules