New Firmware for Phantom 4 is Available (06/07/2017)
83313 557 2017-7-6
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
dmpeters
lvl.1
Flight distance : 135755 ft
United States

I have found that trying to do the firmware update through my Galaxy Note pad / Controller set up was abysmally slow and stayed at 99% what seemed like forever.  In my experience, updating the firmware through DJI Assistant on the PC was like 100x's faster and less prone to a failure.  Likely because my PC is hard wired to the router.  Anyway, I see some people complain on both sides of the fence, so I can only report on my experience.  Actual milage may vary, etc. etc. etc.  
2017-7-6
Use props
Forrest_Siems
lvl.2
Flight distance : 566014 ft
United States

G Davidson Posted at 2017-7-6 12:02
Updating with DJI go, I got stuck at 99% too not long after the P4 rebooted. I waited another 15 mins and decided to take a chance and disconnect the drone from the iPad, reboot the P4, force close DJI Go and connect up the controller to the iPad in the normal way. DJI Go then detected the controller firmware as being out of date and upgraded the controller.

Thankfully DJI Go reports everything as being up to date and everything looks okay. Not flown with it yet.

I ended up doing the same after about 10 minutes. It's all good now. Scared me for a minute
2017-7-6
Use props
Forrest_Siems
lvl.2
United States

Okay I've done a test flight and everything seems great. Most noticeable it's more stable after doing the new IMU calibration. It also lands softer now. New flight modes worked great. Gesture mode is pretty neat. Didn't get a chance to look at the horizon though. But from what I could tell the gimbal looked stable as well.
2017-7-6
Use props
rafi
lvl.1
Flight distance : 115787 ft
Poland

Hi, after upgrade i have problem.

On RC led flashing red/yellow and i dont have connecting with aircraft.

Please help

regards!
2017-7-6
Use props
rafi
lvl.1
Flight distance : 115787 ft
Poland

rafi Posted at 2017-7-6 13:05

sory my bad, i dont upgrade controller...
2017-7-6
Use props
Jim Watkins
Second Officer
Flight distance : 9132172 ft
United States

BEN_M16 Posted at 2017-7-6 08:48
What´s happens with beta tester?? I´m on firmware beta 2.00.0012 and the app sais to me that no new firmware available........ I test DJI assistant for PC and same results..............

Exactly.  Same result here.

--Jim
2017-7-6
Use props
Jim Watkins
Second Officer
Flight distance : 9132172 ft
United States

M109 Posted at 2017-7-6 04:37
I'm on the Beta Firmware and both DJI Assistant 2 and DJI GO 4 are both telling me I'm on the latest firmware already although  the RC did update to Version 1.9.2

Me too.  What gives?
2017-7-6
Use props
SomeoneElsesDro
lvl.4
Flight distance : 419669 ft
United Kingdom

And here I thought we could finally put your thread to bed.
2017-7-6
Use props
northbaydrones
lvl.1
United States

Mines been stuck at 98%, tried countless time,, now what?
2017-7-6
Use props
fans8a594c16
lvl.1
Flight distance : 29826 ft
United States

northbaydrones Posted at 2017-7-6 13:45
Mines been stuck at 98%, tried countless time,, now what?

Reboot is required to complete the process.
2017-7-6
Use props
SomeoneElsesDro
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Does anyone know if backtracking is part of the new RTH optimisations?
2017-7-6
Use props
fansb885c69e
lvl.4
Flight distance : 349419 ft
Canada

Mine worked fine. I used assistant II and after all the calibrations did a flight around the house. Still flying.
2017-7-6
Use props
Forrest_Siems
lvl.2
United States

Okay. Now vps is freaking out. Says I'm 0.3 feet even though I'm near 400ft. It took forever to come down. Calibrated vps. Still same issue. My bird is useless.
2017-7-6
Use props
Callatis
lvl.4
Flight distance : 511112 ft
Canada

DroneGuyEd Posted at 2017-7-6 06:26
Means you need a controller update.  Follow red status area to do this...then power both down and restart.

Thanks! Your post helped me too
2017-7-6
Use props
Spyder3534
lvl.3
Flight distance : 32375 ft
United States

I screwed up and updated the aircraft first. It stalled at 99% and after about 15 min I reset the drone. I was able to update the RC after by connecting the aircraft and accessing the top menu item of the initial aircraft status screen. After updating and reseting everything one more time the app gave me a green update complete banner, crisis avoided. I took it out and did a test flight in my back yard. Tripod mode worked great, I will def use it often. I also tried terrain follow, it worked, kinda, still figuring it out.... I updated using an iphone 5s but did the test flight with the new S8+.
2017-7-6
Use props
ibuyufo
lvl.4
Flight distance : 819098 ft
United States

I updated on my iPad mini 4 and there was an error message around the 98% mark saying the device was not associated or something like that.  Then I pressed ok and it asked to unplug the cable and plug it back in to check the P4's version.  It has been stuck at 99% ever since with the remote's light blinking red and green.
2017-7-6
Use props
Punchbuggy
Second Officer
Flight distance : 483166 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Max App Posted at 2017-7-6 06:41
Thanks for the suggestion Sofus. Tried that still no difference. Also paired the rc again. No difference. Don't think the controller has taken the update. Not sure what to do now

These are the same issues as experienced for the lastest P4P update, so no surprise really.

I propose the issue is with the RC update, rather than the P4 update. Try this.

Using DJI GO on the device connected to the RC, hold the 3 bars at top right of the 'splash screen' down for 10 sec (? or 15?) to get list of available firmware, then refresh to earlier level. Restart the RC following, and let the app advise that there is an update available (again), and do the update again.

Then manually re-link the two together via C1+C2+Record button (one on right corner as you look down on the RC).
2017-7-6
Use props
Punchbuggy
Second Officer
  • >>>
Australia

rafi Posted at 2017-7-6 13:05

That's advising you the RC and P4 firmware aren't in sync. If you haven't already updated the firmware on your RC, you need to do that. Then you'll need to manually re-link the RC to the P4. Do that using C1+C2+Record button, then when LED blinking blue, push the link button on the P4 with a pen.

[edit] I see you resolved it. Great.
2017-7-6
Use props
fester
lvl.3
Flight distance : 77408 ft
United States

SomeoneElsesDro Posted at 2017-7-6 09:40
Why do you say we can dump the spirit level? I've done the update; was going to wait for the cold of morning and head for the straightest surface in the house with my spriti level.

I'm thinking we still need to calibrate on a level checked surface, as the first step is with the bird level. The other four "offset" positions  would still be referenced to that original Level Reference. Better safe than sorry...
2017-7-6
Use props
Punchbuggy
Second Officer
  • >>>
Australia

M109 Posted at 2017-7-6 04:37
I'm on the Beta Firmware and both DJI Assistant 2 and DJI GO 4 are both telling me I'm on the latest firmware already although  the RC did update to Version 1.9.2

Oh No. After all this time, we're still stuck on the beta?

I hope DJI chime in on how we can resolve this soon.
2017-7-6
Use props
northbaydrones
lvl.1
United States

fans8a594c16 Posted at 2017-7-6 14:52
Reboot is required to complete the process.

So after countless reboots and retries, I decided to use my powerful pc, worked just fine.. Never needed too before, and Ive been through a year of updates.. But at last it works..
2017-7-6
Use props
SomeoneElsesDro
lvl.4
United Kingdom

fester Posted at 2017-7-6 16:58
I'm thinking we still need to calibrate on a level checked surface, as the first step is with the bird level. The other four "offset" positions  would still be referenced to that original Level Reference. Better safe than sorry...

My thoughts too. Still, looks like a much more accurate calibration method.
2017-7-6
Use props
fans26405633
lvl.4
Flight distance : 130837 ft
United States

I connected my tablet directly to the drone as per prompts. Update went smoothly until it got to 98%. Got a disconnected message and then another msg to unplug the cable and plug it back in. It then went to 99% with controller lights rapidly flashing red/green.
After waiting a bit I turned off drone and controller. Disconnected tablet from drone and connected to controller. Turned on controller and app prompted to update controller. Done!

Instructions should have been more clear but all went well.

Thanks DJI for all the cool new features!!
2017-7-6
Use props
JockC
Second Officer
Flight distance : 459416 ft
Australia

fans26405633 Posted at 2017-7-6 18:11
I connected my tablet directly to the drone as per prompts. Update went smoothly until it got to 98%. Got a disconnected message and then another msg to unplug the cable and plug it back in. It then went to 99% with controller lights rapidly flashing red/green.
After waiting a bit I turned off drone and controller. Disconnected tablet from drone and connected to controller. Turned on controller and app prompted to update controller. Done!

I'm considering updating but just want to check the sequence. I prefer using the DJI Assistant where possible.  Is the following sequence correct?

1. Update to latest DJI Go4
2. Update RC via DJI Go4
3. Update Drone via DJI Assistant
2017-7-6
Use props
Punchbuggy
Second Officer
  • >>>
Australia

JockC Posted at 2017-7-6 18:52
I'm considering updating but just want to check the sequence. I prefer using the DJI Assistant where possible.  Is the following sequence correct?

1. Update to latest DJI Go4

Jock, some will suggest that the RC and P4 update are the other way around, but as the other is not powered on at the time, I don't see that it matters.
Be prepared to do a manual re-link with the P4 following though - done using C1+C2+Record and when the LED is flashing blue, pressing the link button on the P4.

Also, it'll incorporate a battery firmware update. After you successfully update the P4, power it down, swap batteries (if you have more than one), and power up again. Then just use Assistant 2 to refresh the update.

And this is all just a repeat of what happened with the latest P4P update, so if you strike hassles you can always research in that forum. I didn't have any issues with update of my P4P BTW.
2017-7-6
Use props
JockC
Second Officer
Australia

Punchbuggy Posted at 2017-7-6 19:17
Jock, some will suggest that the RC and P4 update are the other way around, but as the other is not powered on at the time, I don't see that it matters.
Be prepared to do a manual re-link with the P4 following though - done using C1+C2+Record and when the LED is flashing blue, pressing the link button on the P4.

Thanks for that. I've just started but the DJI Go4 app isn't actually showing an update for the RC. Is there a trick to getting the RC update? (I've powered on the RC and DJI Go4 but not the Drone.

Edit. Found it!
2017-7-6
Use props
Punchbuggy
Second Officer
  • >>>
Australia

JockC Posted at 2017-7-6 19:22
Thanks for that. I've just started but the DJI Go4 app isn't actually showing an update for the RC. Is there a trick to getting the RC update? (I've powered on the RC and DJI Go4 but not the Drone.

Interesting. OK, then do the P4P first. Once done, fire up the app connected to the RC powered on. You should note that the RC LED is rapidly flickering red/green. If so, it now knows it needs an update, and so should the app. Typicallly at the stage it's telling you in blue on start-up 'Getting version information...'

and I added more to my earlier post. suggest your refresh browser and check...
2017-7-6
Use props
JockC
Second Officer
Australia

Punchbuggy Posted at 2017-7-6 19:25
Interesting. OK, then do the P4P first. Once done, fire up the app connected to the RC powered on. You should note that the RC LED is rapidly flickering red/green. If so, it now knows it needs an update, and so should the app. Typicallly at the stage it's telling you in blue on start-up 'Getting version information...'

and I added more to my earlier post. suggest your refresh browser and check...

RC updated successfully.
Drone in the process of being updated now.
I have three additional batteries. Did you say that I should rerun the entire update process for each of them or will they automatically update when I turn them on (in the drone)?
2017-7-6
Use props
Punchbuggy
Second Officer
  • >>>
Australia

JockC Posted at 2017-7-6 19:38
RC updated successfully.
Drone in the process of being updated now.
I have three additional batteries. Did you say that I should rerun the entire update process for each of them or will they automatically update when I turn them on (in the drone)?

You need to use Assistant 2 to 'refresh' the firmware update for each battery installed. once powered back up, and on the page for firmware update, I recall that Assistant 2 notes the firmware incompatibility and will give the option to refresh (or you just manually start it yourself). It should accellerate through for subsequent batteries, and you know when it's updating the battery as the two middle LEDs blink.
2017-7-6
Use props
JockC
Second Officer
Australia

Punchbuggy Posted at 2017-7-6 19:57
You need to use Assistant 2 to 'refresh' the firmware update for each battery installed. once powered back up, and on the page for firmware update, I recall that Assistant 2 notes the firmware incompatibility and will give the option to refresh (or you just manually start it yourself). It should accellerate through for subsequent batteries, and you know when it's updating the battery as the two middle LEDs blink.

Thanks for your help.
RC updated successfully
P4 updated successfully
Short test flight with Gestures etc all appeared OK. Drone seemed very response although I'll need to do a longer flight later

Just doing the 2nd battery now (4 in total)
Thanks again

For others contemplating an update, this is what I did.....

1. Updated to latest DJI Go4 (iPad)
2. Connected the RC to DJI Go4 and did the RC update (you need to go to the overall status screen to show the RC update)
3. Updated the Drone via DJI Assistant 2
4. Updated three additional batteries using DJI Assistant 2 (note, you may need to click on one of the other options and then go back to "Firmware Update" in order to be prompted with the battery update)

I had no lock ups or issues with any of the above updates and did not require any relinking of the RC/Drone.
I have not yet calibrated anything following the updates but the test flight suggests that I probably don't need to.  All went smoothly.
2017-7-6
Use props
Saaber
lvl.2
Flight distance : 26680 ft

Singapore

I updated RC first thru the DJIGO4 and then I update the P4 thru the DJI Assistant 2 from PC. Once all done, make sure to reboot both the remote and P4 and then using the GO4 app, relink the P4 and you are done. Make sure to set back your usual settings. It is that easy.
2017-7-6
Use props
Punchbuggy
Second Officer
  • >>>
Australia

JockC Posted at 2017-7-6 20:05
Thanks for your help.
RC updated successfully
P4 updated successfully

Great to hear Jock.

Re calibration, I don't touch IMU or compass calibration unless the app asks me too. But after each firmware update I'll always do a VPS calibration and then a gimbal calibration, just in case the firmware update cleared the related data for precise setting.
2017-7-6
Use props
fans26405633
lvl.4
Flight distance : 130837 ft
United States

SomeoneElsesDro Posted at 2017-7-6 15:30
Does anyone know if backtracking is part of the new RTH optimisations?

The fact that they use the word Optimized RTH makes me hopeful that it has what's in the P4A manual...

Failsafe RTH
The Forward Vision System allows the aircraft to create a real-time map of its  ight route as it  ies. If the Home Point was successfully recorded and the compass is functioning normally, Failsafe RTH will be automatically activated if the remote controller signal is lost for more than three seconds. The aircraft will plan its return route and retrace its original  ight route home. The aircraft will hover for 10 seconds at its current location. When it regains signal connection it will wait for pilot commands. The Return-to- Home process may be interrupted and the pilot given control of the aircraft if the remote controller signal connection is re-established.
2017-7-6
Use props
fansa7dc5944
lvl.4
Flight distance : 50988 ft
  • >>>
Thailand

Flying test this morning. 3 batteries. Altitude error reading  is solved both via hdmi and Dji Go 4. Very happy. (Before updating, after flying at 90 m. and comeback to 3 m. the reading at Dji Go 4 and hdmi goggles show 51 m. , so worried).
2017-7-6
Use props
Max App
lvl.3
Flight distance : 781624 ft
Greece

I had the stuck at 99% issue. Thankfully after many hardware resets the app actually dedicated that my controllers firmware wasn't correct and it allowed me to update the controller only without dji assistant. Impressed you can do that now but a shame the install wasn't flawless. Had a quick test flight after calibration and immediately I noticed a good improvement in flight performance and especially the app. Video stream seems much cleaner plus the extra flight modes. Seems like an update for the better just could have went smoother.
2017-7-6
Use props
RobSinfield
lvl.3
Flight distance : 187493 ft
Canada

Unbelievable.  You suck DJI

You've been ignoring beta testers since January and this update continues your trend screwing people that helped you test your buggy software.
2017-7-7
Use props
Moto1981
lvl.2
Flight distance : 4502812 ft
Poland

HI I did update rc and dron and now I can t go back dron is flaying wery bad .  No posible with assisnat 2 or phone  it is just new firmware .
2017-7-7
Use props
Moto1981
lvl.2
Flight distance : 4502812 ft
Poland

it is any solution to get back software
2017-7-7
Use props
Stach23
lvl.3
Flight distance : 721795 ft
United States

Has anybody with the Tilted Horizon issue had a chance to test? If so, has the Tilted Horizon finally been fixed like it was for the P4P???
2017-7-7
Use props
Joe E
lvl.1
Flight distance : 119954 ft
United States

P4 will not complete imu calibration with new process of tilting bird and rotating during calibration. What am I doing wrong
2017-7-7
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules