Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
New Firmware for Phantom 4 is Available (06/07/2017)
81801 557 2017-7-6
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
calls4u2
Second Officer
Flight distance : 211604 ft
United Kingdom

Okay, just went to upgrade controller prior to upgrading firmware... update complete - restart controller.... controller now dead? any ideas|?
2017-7-8
Use props
calls4u2
Second Officer
United Kingdom

Just went to upgrade and upgraded controller attempt first. Now controller sits dead and won't turn on?
Edit.. after a few mins controller turns on... that was scary!

Okay, correct way to update controller first as mine is 1.6.. tried to update to 1.8 before doing the update as read of controllers not syncing etc?

Just run DJI go updater? or?

2017-7-8
Use props
Aardvark
Captain
Flight distance : 384432 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

phantom_of_the_ Posted at 2017-7-8 08:58
Yeah turned out that's what it was! So I got it updated successfully in the end.

Just back from some test flights. I didnt even have the chance to try any of these new modes that people are talking about, is there a "Tripod" function now I believe? Don't even know where to find that.

Yes calibrate,I did all calibrations again, and my hour of flights this afternoon the horizon was spot on, even after high speed yaws to try and throw it off.
2017-7-8
Use props
MD_Icarus
Second Officer
United States

I have not flown this year, but if I decide to fly again, should I stay with last year's firmware and RC?  I am using RC 1.6

The only issue I have is that I get some green screens when I fly in Auto mode.  I tend to use CH19 for my flights now, and even though I would prefer to be in auto mode, it works better (less green screens) in CH 19.

When they correct the green screen issues, I may consider upgrading.

What distance does your P4 get now, after the recent upgrades?
(I believe the P4 range goes down, as your firmware goes up).

2017-7-8
Use props
SomeoneElsesDro
Second Officer
Flight distance : 419669 ft
United Kingdom

First test flight after upgrade today and I have to say the flight characteristics have definitely changed; and some of the changes are a bit concerning.

It's much more responsive but if I drop altitude rapidly, there is a definite wobble. Forward flight seems fine, but changes in altitude are a bit sketchy. Idle motors seem to be at a lower RPM and sports mode, I was getting 22mph vs 40 (zero wind).

Can other people confirm if their experiences are similar?
2017-7-8
Use props
Aardvark
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Dnerve Posted at 2017-7-8 06:47
oh yeah, Assistant definitely asks for a refresh when re-booting with a battery that hasn't worked under that firmware and repeated the process over my 2 extra batteries (3 in total).

About to head out for the 2nd battery flight. 1st flight was awesome, super stable under all modes P,A, S.

I performed all calibrations (IMU, Gimbal, VPS sensors, Compass & RC Sticks ) and my experience was similar to yours then, this was comment I made in another post:-

"And fly it did this afternoon, horizon was nice and straight, hovers rock solid, active track, tripod and Terrain follow tested out. Looked to be steady in flight to me along a straight course in P-Mode and Sport Mode. A bit of a Gimbal tilt over in higher wind conditions followed by a short loss of video transmission (2-3 seconds). And that was it, so one very happy Bunny here.
"
2017-7-8
Use props
MD_Icarus
Second Officer
United States

SomeoneElsesDro Posted at 2017-7-8 12:11
First test flight after upgrade today and I have to say the flight characteristics have definitely changed; and some of the changes are a bit concerning.

It's much more responsive but if I drop altitude rapidly, there is a definite wobble. Forward flight seems fine, but changes in altitude are a bit sketchy. Idle motors seem to be at a lower RPM and sports mode, I was getting 22mph vs 40 (zero wind).

That can be caused by the settings being changed after the upgrade.
I always keep my original settings so I can put them back after each upgrade.
Gain, Break, ESC, ...etc.  It could also be that the upgrade may require that those setting may have to be tweaked again.
I am going to attach my P4 Golden Settings Excel screen shot:The different columns represent the changes I made until I was happy.  If no change is shown in the columns to the right, it means I kept the original setting to the left.

P4 Golden Settings

P4 Golden Settings
2017-7-8
Use props
phantom_of_the_
lvl.3
Flight distance : 90459 ft
United Kingdom

Guys what does the "REFRESH" part actually mean from within the Assistant software?
2017-7-8
Use props
MD_Icarus
Second Officer
United States

I read above that now during Smart RTH the P4 will back track the flight it made?
This makes no sense to me for obvious reasons:
Let's say I am doing a circular loop and I am 80% complete, and I lose connection, I would prefer if it comes back using the shortest distance, instead of looping backwards, further away to cover 80% of the loop?  Can someone explain how will that work?
2017-7-8
Use props
fans875d58d4
New

United States

Hello. I performed the update. How do I confirm that it was successful?

I have having the max altitude of 98 feet issue. I logged out and back in, checked all the settings, but I am stuck. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
2017-7-8
Use props
phantom_of_the_
lvl.3
United Kingdom

Decided to pop in my second battery and open Assistant 2, and sure enough it needed updated too. Annnddd it failed. Third time in a row now it has failed. Ive never encountered a more error prone process for anything in my entire life! Every-step-of-the-way this is a pain. Only thing it could be now is the DJI servers, as it's not even downloading the firmware update. It beggars belief how DJI have grown to be the size they are!
UPDATE - 4th time clicking to update, and instantaneously the download percent has shot up to 98%...
UPDATE 2 - Failed yet again, same error "Update Failed". Showing 1%, whatever that 1% is supposed to represent. Below it gives error code 0003.

UPDATE 3 - Working! Im not sure if this done the trick, but I formatted the SD card and the next time I tried, Assistant just bombed through the whole procedure without a hitch! Nowhere does DJI mention having to format the SD card or even needing an SD card in your drone, so maybe this isnt what got it working, but if it wasnt I dont know what did!
2017-7-8
Use props
phantom_of_the_
lvl.3
United Kingdom

fans875d58d4 Posted at 2017-7-8 12:56
Hello. I performed the update. How do I confirm that it was successful?

I have having the max altitude of 98 feet issue. I logged out and back in, checked all the settings, but I am stuck. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

It will tell you in DJI Assistant 2, if you are on the current firmware version. I really hope you are as upgrading is proving a total pain.
2017-7-8
Use props
calls4u2
Second Officer
United Kingdom

My experience was NOT good with this...

What an absolute headache that was.. I went for it with DJIGO but there was no option to upgrade controller first. My controller was on 1.6 so I tried to upgrade to 1.8 at least.. FAILED, FAILED, FAILED..
Okay, lets refresh 1.6 then try... Complete, switch off controller.. Then controller didn't want to come back on.. But... then it did! Try 1.8 again, fail....
DJI assistant time - downloaded latest, upgraded drone without issue. Can we upgrade controller via Assistant?
Terrible video, and DIJGO kept alternating between a p4 and a p4advanced, disconnecting, video VERY poor... omg.. Restart everything a bunch of times..
DJIGo says there is a firmware upgrade, hit the red bit and it goes to the camera.. I notice controller is doing fast red/green...
Resync controller with bird.. no difference.
FINALLY I see option for controller upgrade inside the DJIgo app..
Finally I have video and a solid green on the controller.
Heck that was scary..
IS there a way to upgrade the controller (yes I know the downgrade option - but that never showed 1.92)?

Out of warranty when DJI messes up with firmware how do we stand? and can DJI PLEASE keep the upgrade sequence the same and give us a controller update method be it USB or through assistant.
2017-7-8
Use props
Aardvark
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

phantom_of_the_ Posted at 2017-7-8 12:21
Guys what does the "REFRESH" part actually mean from within the Assistant software?

If it says refresh then it will check and/or over-write the existing files to ensure there are no corrupted files in use. The circular button at top right hand corner of window refreshes the windows information.
2017-7-8
Use props
phantom_of_the_
lvl.3
United Kingdom

Aardvark Posted at 2017-7-8 13:29
If it says refresh then it will check and/or over-write the existing files to ensure there are no corrupted files in use. The circular button at top right hand corner of window refreshes the windows information.

Thanks for all your help.
2017-7-8
Use props
fans6434a91f
lvl.1
United States

"What’s New
Updated No Fly Zone Management.
Added Gesture, Draw, Terrain Follow, and Tripod as Intelligent Flight Modes, as well as Trace and Profile sub-modes for ActiveTrack and a Free sub-mode for TapFly.
Optimized Smart Return to Home, added Landing Protection, and Precision Landing.
For increased safety, the flight is restricted to a height of 30 m and distance of 50 m when not connected or logged into the app during flight, including DJI GO and all apps compatible with DJI aircraft."

Does this mean the other ActiveTrack sub-mode, Spotlight, has not been added? If anyone has done the update and tried the new ActiveTrack features, I would love to know if Spotlight mode is available. Thanks!

2017-7-8
Use props
M109
Second Officer

New Zealand

phantom_of_the_ Posted at 2017-7-8 05:24
Tried using the DJI Assistant Software. Failed! This is unbelievable!

It's not unbelieveable, it's DJI
2017-7-8
Use props
SomeoneElsesDro
Second Officer
Flight distance : 419669 ft
United Kingdom

MD_Icarus Posted at 2017-7-8 12:20
That can be caused by the settings being changed after the upgrade.
I always keep my original settings so I can put them back after each upgrade.
Gain, Break, ESC, ...etc.  It could also be that the upgrade may require that those setting may have to be tweaked again.

Thanks. Will definitely try to tweak settings, but these movements strike me as beyond what I'd expect to be within a tweakable range. Good share though!
2017-7-8
Use props
MD_Icarus
Second Officer
United States

I read above:
The new range is now 30 meters up and 50 meters away!!??if you are not logged in?
What is this all about?

What happened to 5000 meters away?
Is this a new "junior" setting somewhere?

Heck, my onago can do better than that on one of the days I can get it up i n the air!
2017-7-8
Use props
fester
lvl.4
Flight distance : 77408 ft
United States

Dnerve Posted at 2017-7-8 08:25
One thing I noticed when turned the bird on it gave me an IMU error prompting me to re-calibrate yet when I entered the IMU menu it showed it was warming-up and all readings where nominal once done so.did not go through calibration.
When back to main screen had a ready to fly mesage, and flight was great.

Myself and others are seeing this too. But appears to be a software bug that shows the "recalibrate IMU" instead of "IMU warming up".  The warning disappeared and gave a ready to fly, shortly after.
2017-7-8
Use props
DroneGuyEd
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1168140 ft
  • >>>
United States

SteveDickin Posted at 2017-7-8 04:00
I experienced this too, I just thought maybe my drawing wasn't up to much, so glad to hear the same issue.  Happy Drawings!

Later I did all the calibrations and tried draw again.  This time most of the wobbles were gone, but I also was using a higher speed (before it was the 2.2 min).  For higher speed, it seemed all good.,  I will try again tomorrow with the slow speed to see how that goes
2017-7-8
Use props
fansb6e07ce9
lvl.4
Flight distance : 38586 ft
Sweden

What is the recommended order to upgrade firmware please.  To me at least the advice and comments are sometimes contrary and not clear enough.   Any assistance provided here would be much appreciated.
2017-7-8
Use props
Jan Jensen
lvl.4
Denmark

i get error code: 003    and reboot  before try again :-(  
any help..?

2017-7-9
Use props
Jan Jensen
lvl.4
Denmark

Jan Jensen Posted at 2017-7-9 04:32
i get error code: 003    and reboot  before try again :-(  
any help..?

okay i tried again with a newly charged battery.. and now it works :-)
2017-7-9
Use props
Jan Jensen
lvl.4
Denmark

how do i upgrade the controller......?
2017-7-9
Use props
viewpi.channel
New
Flight distance : 206391 ft
United Kingdom

my drone was working 100% and i havent had any issues with it untill yestarday ive updated it to latest firmware . now am in big trouble . can't link my controller to crafter. ive tried all what say in forums. doesnt work. rc blinking red and green . ive tried connect rc to my phone it cometimes connecting sometimes not but ive try downgrade and doesnt helps. thing is i cant upgrade to latest version always said failed .. also ive tried to cennect my crafter to pc and downgrade the firmware but doesnt shows me any latest firmwares .. i fed up.. dont understand why do upgrades and put people to trouble
2017-7-9
Use props
fansa84fe8a4
First Officer
Flight distance : 3 ft
United States

Give it time, like maybe 20-30 minutes.  Weird the way it does that stalling at times and then picks up later on.
2017-7-9
Use props
olefolks
lvl.3
United States

viewpi.channel Posted at 2017-7-9 06:26
my drone was working 100% and i havent had any issues with it untill yestarday ive updated it to latest firmware . now am in big trouble . can't link my controller to crafter. ive tried all what say in forums. doesnt work. rc blinking red and green . ive tried connect rc to my phone it cometimes connecting sometimes not but ive try downgrade and doesnt helps. thing is i cant upgrade to latest version always said failed .. also ive tried to cennect my crafter to pc and downgrade the firmware but doesnt shows me any latest firmwares .. i fed up.. dont understand why do upgrades and put people to trouble

How did you upgrade the firmware?  If you use Go 4 you have to upgrade the RC first and then upgrade the P4.  If you use Assistant 2 you can upgrade the P4 first and then when you connect the RC Go 4 will tell you there is an upgrade for the RC .  Just follow the instructions!
2017-7-9
Use props
blackmennewstyl
lvl.3
Flight distance : 3571004 ft
Thailand

OK i flew my drone today and i did not have any issue at all.

All flight modes were working great. I even tested some of my intelligent flights mode and everything went fine.

Honestly, i'm pretty happy with this update. My gimbal was working pretty good, i tried to to push it a bit hard and i did not notice any crazy horizon drifting like in the past. That was pretty exciting.

I did not experiment wobbles or any strange flight behaviour, so far so good.

Now, i just hope that they will really start to think about a more reliable DJI Go 4 app on Android, still a lot of crashes, not like before, it's better but it's still pretty annoying. I noticed there is a lot of warnings now with the last version, it's interesting but sometimes it's maybe too much lol

Thank you DJI for the upgrade, it's not bad at all. Now we need a better DJI Go 4 app on Android for a way better experience. Or just highly reduce the price of your Android tablet DJI Crystal Sky lol
2017-7-9
Use props
phantom_of_the_
lvl.3
United Kingdom

Took my drone out today again and everything seems quite good. No noticeable issues anyway!

Couple of questions for anyone that would be kind enough to answer.

1. Is there a detailed list of the new found intelligent flight modes and what they do / how they work?
EDIT - found this:

2. Is there some way that I can reduce how aggressive the drone "jerks" when coming from full throttle to 0 throttle? So if I have my stick fully up going forward and instantly let it off, I would like the drone to not suddenly jerk to a stop, the way it currently does. Maybe I just have to release the throttle manually?

Thanks!

2017-7-9
Use props
Pareja IV
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1084961 ft
Spain

phantom_of_the_ Posted at 2017-7-9 08:10
Took my drone out today again and everything seems quite good. No noticeable issues anyway!

Couple of questions for anyone that would be kind enough to answer.

You must adjust (low) the brake sensitivity. Look at this video. It is in spanish but you don´t have to speak spanish to understad it. You wil find how to adjust attitude, brake and yaw endpoint sensitivity at 3'30'' with video examples
2017-7-9
Use props
TheMann58
Captain
Flight distance : 18669501 ft
  • >>>
United States

In the field now testing my Phantom 4 after updating firmware to 2.00.0106, performing cold IMU calibration at home on level granite counter, then performing gimbal calibration, and RC stick calibration. Today at site, Inperformed a compass calibration.  

Testing going very well so far with one exception. Getting very stable hover and flight performance - no signs of intermittent "bucking" behavior reported by a few others in this forum post. I strongly advise that anyone having flight stability issues perform an IMU calibration as the IMU calibration procedure is now the same as for the P4Pro, where you tilt the aircraft on its legs 45 degrees left, right, forward, backward and, finally, completely upside-down resting on the prop motors. Ask yourself - If you don't do an IMU calibration, what default calibration values are stored for all these aircraft positions???

Gimbal horizon testing - getting absolutely level forward, left, right, while yawing, in both PGPS and Sport modes at full stick. OUTSTANDING!  Get slight tilt of maybe 2 degrees during full-stick reverse flight with wind from the left.  

Live video stability - generally VERY good to excellent.  After first full-battery flight, started getting live video instability even at 5 feet distance and then message about mobile device CPU being overloaded.  I had never seen that before with my Apple iPad Air 2. So, I decided on this hot 96F sunny day that my iPad might be overheating. I was already using a sun hood. I then decided to turn OFF simultaneous video output to HDMI (I have the HDMI module installed, but was not currently needing this output).  It may have been pure coincidence, BUT this restored stable, glitch-free live video performance over next full-battery long distance flight.  

Range and live video stability at distance -  I used CUSTOM channel 20, 4 mbps transmission on outbound leg of a long-distance flight until 10,000 feet distance when HD signal suddenly went from 5 bars to zero and RTH initiated.  When I regained connection at 9900 feet distance, I switched to AUTO mode, turned around and slowly flew back through weak signal area which lasted to 11,000 feet. Then I had 5 bars RC and HD signal strength out to 17,500 feet distance when I turned around with 50% battery and flew entire return leg with no live video issues. NOTE: I always use an slip-on aluminum parabolic reflector behind my upright antenna during long-distance flights.

One disappointment - Precision Landing is NOT working.  I have enabled, disable d and enable this festure, tried turning ALL Advanced Seetings for VPS on an off anf turning obstacle avoidance and Smart RTH on and off sveral times to see idf this would activate this feature, but I could not get Precision Landing to work.  When you tap on Auto Take-off, you should get a message and a box to check about Record Precise Takeoff Point, which is what happens on my P4 Pro, but on the P4, I do not get this option box, and the P4 rises only to 4 feet (instead of 19-20 feet) after Uto take-off and when landing the P4 I never get the Precision Landing message and RTH accuracy is onlystandard GPS accuracy of 6 feet from Home Point.  

Has anyone using an iPad Gotten Precision Landing to work since this firmware upgrade?

2017-7-9
Use props
wangrincreation
First Officer
Flight distance : 984436 ft
Canada

You're one the lucky with the new firmware upgrade. I performed all the calibrations, but the bird is just unstable.
2017-7-9
Use props
brunobaptista
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1369839 ft
Colombia

TheMann58 Posted at 2017-7-9 12:13
In the field now testing my Phantom 4 after updating firmware to 2.00.0106, performing cold IMU calibration at home on level granite counter, then performing gimbal calibration, and RC stick calibration. Today at site, Inperformed a compass calibration.  

Testing going very well so far with one exception. Getting very stable hover and flight performance - no signs of intermittent "bucking" behavior reported by a few others in this forum post. I strongly advise that anyone having flight stability issues perform an IMU calibration as the IMU calibration procedure is now the same as for the P4Pro, where you tilt the aircraft on its legs 45 degrees left, right, forward, backward and, finally, completely upside-down resting on the prop motors. Ask yourself - If you don't do an IMU calibration, what default calibration values are stored for all these aircraft positions???

I was also expecting to see the Precision landing checkbox in the auto-takeoff.
Maybe it is in the firmware (since the option to enable it is there) but the app functionality will come in the next GO4 update?
2017-7-9
Use props
TheMann58
Captain
  • >>>
United States

Wpgubaru Posted at 2017-7-6 05:53
Does this give us head tracking as promised before the bait and switch on the goggles?

During testing today with the Goggles connected to the USB port on my Phantom 4 RC, I was able to get Head Tracking Gimbal mode to work with the ability to move the P4 camera gimbal left, right, up and down including straight down just by moving my head.  BUT - I could fly no further than 149 feet distance!!! Head Tracking Flight mode could be turned on but it produced no results as turning my head left or right during forward flight did NOT turn the aircraft - it kept going straight.  
Both Head Tracking Gimbal and Head Tracking Flight modes worked as expected with the Goggles connected via USB to my P4 Pro RC. But other BUGS became apparent.  On my first flight with my P4 Pro, I could fly without distance limitations (thousands of feet from home point). HOWEVER, on second flight with my P4 Pro, I could fly no further than 149 feet from home point. DAMN - WTH!!! CONCLUSION: latest Goggles firmware is still VERY BUGGY. Disappointing.  
2017-7-9
Use props
DroneGuyEd
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1168140 ft
  • >>>
United States

TheMann58 Posted at 2017-7-9 12:13

Precision landing seems to work well here after upgrade.  Took off, flew a few thousand feet, did auto return...landed softly within 5 inches of start point.  I am using an iPad Mini 4.
2017-7-9
Use props
Zimmerman 61
Second Officer
Flight distance : 730052 ft

Australia

fans6434a91f Posted at 2017-7-8 14:23
"What’s New
Added Gesture, Draw, Terrain Follow, and Tripod as Intelligent Flight Modes, as well as Trace and Profile sub-modes for ActiveTrack and a Free sub-mode for TapFly.

Spotlight is available as a sub task
2017-7-9
Use props
Zimmerman 61
Second Officer

Australia

fans6434a91f Posted at 2017-7-8 14:23
"What’s New

Spotlight is available as a sub mode
2017-7-9
Use props
TheMann58
Captain
  • >>>
United States

DroneGuyEd Posted at 2017-7-9 19:07
Precision landing seems to work well here after upgrade.  Took off, flew a few thousand feet, did auto return...landed softly within 5 inches of start point.  I am using an iPad Mini 4.

DroneGuyEd,

But was it truly a Precision Landing or just a very close regular GPS landing?

There are three things that should occur during a true Precision Landing experience:
1) Did you get the option to mark a box on auto take-off that said "Record Precise Take-off Point" and did you check that box on the screen?
2) On Auto Take-off did the P4 rise to an altitude of 19-20 feet and then hold there (instead of the normal rise to only 4 feet above ground during a non-Precision-Landing auto take-off)?
3) When desecending did a message pop up on the screen at any point that said "Precision Landing - Looking for Landing Point" and you can then see the P4 adjust its position as it zeroes in on landing point?

If all three of these things did not happen, then you did not experience a true "Precision Landing."
2017-7-9
Use props
Zimmerman 61
Second Officer

Australia

Finished a successful firmware upgrade yesterday. Today was the real test. All went well but I did notice a distinct wobble with the aircraft. Tried all the intelligent modes. The DRAW function performed well however the wobble factor was insane. I had to cancel this mode to regain control. Has anyone discovered a fix for this issue? Hopefully DJI will sort this issue.
Taking the bird out for another fly later today will report on any other issues
2017-7-9
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules