Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
New Firmware for Phantom 4 is Available (06/07/2017)
81820 557 2017-7-6
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
JockC
First Officer
Flight distance : 459416 ft
Australia

Zimmerman 61 Posted at 2017-7-9 20:15
Finished a successful firmware upgrade yesterday. Today was the real test. All went well but I did notice a distinct wobble with the aircraft. Tried all the intelligent modes. The DRAW function performed well however the wobble factor was insane. I had to cancel this mode to regain control. Has anyone discovered a fix for this issue? Hopefully DJI will sort this issue.
Taking the bird out for another fly later today will report on any other issues

I flew mine again today for some commercial real estate work and it's very disappointing that what was once a dream drone to fly has now become a real chore. The occasional bucking is really annoying and takes away any enjoyment out of flying.
It's a shame that this update has been a disaster because the other new features work perfectly and could  be very useful.
Despite the new features, I would far prefer to revert back to the previous software with its smoother flying.  I hope that DJI will provide a means to do so.
2017-7-9
Use props
DroneGuyEd
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1168140 ft
  • >>>
United States

General experience since the firmware update, along with a full set of calibrations, has been good.

1.        Hover and normal flight seem about as before.  The controls do seem a bit more sensitive at times.  Not seeing any issues with range or height so far.

2.        I am getting wind warning I didn’t see before.  Usually there is some wind, but not that much it seems.

3.        Landings are much more stable and gentle and slow.  This is a very good addition.  Landing protection will also kick in at times if the ground below is detected as unsuitable (lighting seems to be a player here).

4.        Video seems more stable with fewer drop outs than before.  Seems smoother than before.

5.        Terrain follow mode seems ok going uphill, but seems to have little effect going down hill.  Will try this more at a different location with more room and slope differences.

6.        Tripod mode seems fine with all the controls slowed down as expected.

7.        Gesture mode seems fine, is easy to control, and takes good pictures when needed.

8.        TapFly mode seems more accurate than before with the addition of visual tracking path on the video display.

9.        Draw mode seems to work well…most of the time.  When using at low altitude and slow speed, drone wobbles some during flight.  When using higher speed at more altitude, seems quite smooth.  Like the TapFly, it includes a green path on display of path and current position on it.

10.        Have not yet tried the new sub modes for ActiveTrack or TapFly.

11.        Seeing fewer authorization warnings than before.  I live near the edge of an Enhanced Warning Zone.  Before I used to get the authorization confirmation (with the two confirm check boxes) almost every time at takeoff.  Now it seems rare.  I do a weekly video of a local bridge construction project.  Before I saw these warnings every time the drone passed the center point of the bridge (even within the same flight).  Now I don’t see them at all there.

12.        Obstacle avoidance seems more sensitive than before.  I see warnings sooner and it seems to slows down more than before the update when near obstacles.

13.        Many of the settings (max altitude, RTH height, etc) are defaulted after the update.  You may have to reset these to your desired values.  This may also be the case for the sensitivity settings in the Advanced Settings area, but I cannot confirm this as I don’t know what mine were before.
2017-7-10
Use props
Wpgubaru
lvl.4
Flight distance : 254646 ft
Canada

I'm still returning my goggles, with the money I get back I'll get a new ipad tablet. I'll be happy with that.
2017-7-10
Use props
DroneGuyEd
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

TheMann58 Posted at 2017-7-9 20:07
DroneGuyEd,

But was it truly a Precision Landing or just a very close regular GPS landing?

What I know is that its different and improved from before.

1. At take off, it generally rises to about 4 feet.  This is unchanged from before.

2. I see no record take off option, but only ones for protected landing and precise landing (both checked).

3. When descending, it initially goes to the approximate take off point using the RTH altitude.  It tend goes down fairly fast, until it gets maybe 30 feet above the ground.  As it comes down it adjusts both its position and pointing direction to match that from takeoff.   It then slows quite a bit, then slower still at about 6 feet.  It eases onto the ground quite slowly at the last foot.
2017-7-10
Use props
Spyder3534
lvl.4
Flight distance : 32375 ft
United States

Drone Guy Ed... I think i figured out terrain follow... It sets a minimum altitude so when going uphill it adjusts to maintain the minimum altitude but when you go downhill you never meet the minimum altitude as the ground is falling away from the drone.  While flying downhill if you hold the throttle down (descend) it will descend to the minimum altitude but no further. It seems counter intuitive and dangerous to hold throttle down while flying forward at a low altitude but it works.
2017-7-10
Use props
Mabou2
First Officer
Flight distance : 811257 ft
  • >>>
United States

Well, after a full day (literally) of test flights, I did not get much beyond trying to determine a workaround or cause for the "bucking" & "Twitching" flight, as well as the chronic loss of video transmission.

Both my P4 and my P4P buck during flight.  The P4 is totally unstable after the update (bucks too hard)  and I don't dare fly it.  The P4P is much better, but still does not have the stability it should.  I see it "wobble" too much in flight, especially in the Draw mode where it nearly flips itself sideways.

Neither drone seems to track as well as before the update, at 20 feet or less, they both drift horizontally during in what was previously straight as an arrow flight.  Once the drift was so dramatic that I thought I might have switched to ATTI mode by accident.

In addition, I am getting a ton of transient issues, usually resolved by waiting, or rebooting.  For example, on one launch I booted the P4P and was met with a red IMU error (I don't recall the exact text) saying that my IMU had a problem.  At the same time, the lights were solid red on all four corners of the drone.  I paused for a few seconds to try to understand what was happening, then suddenly got a green clearance to fly and the lights on the drone went to a normal pattern.  I checked the IMU status panel and had all green.

I have gotten quite a few transient issues like this, that I had never seen before the update.  They will appear, confuse me, then go away (either from waiting or from rebooting).  Probably once every four or five flights.  

2017-7-10
Use props
fans9e4df1ae
lvl.1
Brazil

Atualização com muitos erros. P4 muito instável, balançando muito, mesmo depois da nova calibragem da IMU. Estou bastante preocupado e não aconselho a ninguém fazer essa atualização. #DJI #Bug #IMU
2017-7-10
Use props
MD_Icarus
Second Officer
United States

Has anyone tried to make adjustments to the Gain, ESC, etc. after the upgrade to see if you can get the P4 to fly smoothly as before the upgrade?

I personally plan to stick with last summer's firmware and RC. if it works, don't f*** with it.
2017-7-10
Use props
bugbee
lvl.1
Flight distance : 167556 ft

United States

MD_Icarus Posted at 2017-7-10 09:36
Has anyone tried to make adjustments to the Gain, ESC, etc. after the upgrade to see if you can get the P4 to fly smoothly as before the upgrade?

I personally plan to stick with last summer's firmware and RC. if it works, don't f*** with it.

After upgrade I had shaky hover, did a refresh with dji assistant ( that went fast) then a IMU calibration
then reset sensitivity settings to default and it flies like it did with old firmware.
2017-7-10
Use props
bugbee
lvl.1
Flight distance : 167556 ft

United States

bugbee Posted at 2017-7-10 10:23
After upgrade I had shaky hover, did a refresh with dji assistant ( that went fast) then a IMU calibration
then reset sensitivity settings to default and it flies like it did with old firmware.

I mean, all is good
2017-7-10
Use props
Tony Dodds 1
lvl.4
Flight distance : 8163 ft
United Kingdom

I was told earlier today that I need to update batteries aswell,
I updated the controller & aircraft through dji go4
Had a test flight with no issues
But couldn't get assistant on my iPad which I found out can only be on a pc.

Managed to get assistant downloaded onto pc so I connected up my drone with battery 1
All ok

So connected battery 2 into drone & connected upto assistant software, this time I get an upgrade bar so I press & upgrade, and again everything ok

Is this right what I have done??
2017-7-10
Use props
Aardvark
Captain
Flight distance : 384432 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Tony Dodds 1 Posted at 2017-7-10 10:34
I was told earlier today that I need to update batteries aswell,
I updated the controller & aircraft through dji go4
Had a test flight with no issues

Yes, assistant 2 should now only show 'Refresh' when aircraft powered up with each battery.
2017-7-10
Use props
Tony Dodds 1
lvl.4
Flight distance : 8163 ft
United Kingdom

One battery had refresh
But battery 2 had a green upgrade bar & it went through the download & updating screen
2017-7-10
Use props
Pareja IV
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1084961 ft
Spain

Yesterday I had my first flight after updating an callibrating everything; when flying fowards and backwards and I slow down slighty the speed (a very soft right stick release) it jerks a lot, and the gimbal is unable to handle with it, so the video footage wobbles. Today I have done a new test. Yesterday I recalibrated the whole system and today the Compass before the flight. I have lowed brake sensitivity to the minimum (70) and attitude to 50. I have reduced the pitch gain to 85 and I have been making modifications. My impressions:
1.-The Hover is very stable, more than before the update.
2.-It seems that the problem of the horizon has improved a lot, it do not tilt with the turns. Anyway I have to test it to the sea shore to confirm it, with a completely flat horizon.
3.-Flight modes work fine, but I'm not much fan of automatic modes, so I have not tried much.
4.-The problems of aggressive braking are maintained despite of the multiple variations of the gain, sensitivity and exponential parameters. There do not seem to be significant differences between some parameters and others, as if it did not change anything at all. In fact the braking distance seems the same with the sensitivity at 100, at 85 and at 70.
5.-It seems that the stability of the gimbal has improved slightly compared to yesterday, the image no longer vibrates so much in braking (it is also true that there was no wind at all today). But just when accelerating you see for an instant the propellers (it was not in sport mode) and when braking you see the propellers and even the tip of the front arms, at speeds of less than 10 m / sec, even at 6 m / s before braking !!!!!!!.
6.-No problems with video streaming, but did not move more than 500 m.
7.- I get 2 flying time minutes less per battery

Sorry for my English. Not a good update for me. I liked the smooth response to orders my bird had before
2017-7-10
Use props
fiddler
lvl.1
Flight distance : 567070 ft
Poland

linflas Posted at 2017-7-6 04:27
Does this fix the APP crashing issue on Android?  Specifically the Nvidia Shield tablet?

Probably you have Android 7 - Nougat installed. Downgrade it to 6 or 5 and everything will be fine.
2017-7-10
Use props
Nigel_
Captain
Flight distance : 388642 ft
United Kingdom

How do you turn down the Sensitivity and EXP settings for Tripod mode?
Currently it is easier to fly smoothly in Normal GPS mode than Tripod because I have the settings turned right down in Normal but don't see how to turn them down in Tripod!

Also, I noticed that after exiting ActiveTrack mode it put all the EXP and Sensitivity settings to what appeared to be Sport mode, even after I changed to Sport and back to Normal it responded dangerously fast given that I was moving sideways after RTH had left it at about 3ft - below head height - after RTH being a meter out and it deciding the landing spot was unsuitable.   "recision Landing" was enabled and did nothing.

Flew very nicely in a 36km/h wind, the high wind warning was correct
2017-7-10
Use props
Blériot53
Captain
Flight distance : 6188465 ft
  • >>>
France

fiddler Posted at 2017-7-10 13:21
Probably you have Android 7 - Nougat installed. Downgrade it to 6 or 5 and everything will be fine.

I have Android 7 Nougat on my Galaxy Tab S2 ( a DJI-unsupported device) and the Phantom 4 behaves perfectly once connected.  However, I have NOT performed the latest upgrade, and Keep WiFi OFF (ie Airplane mode) to ensure no unwanted meddling with an already satisfactory setup
2017-7-10
Use props
wwsvs
New
United States

Upgrade went ok.  So.. what's the deal with needing to log in otherwise we can't fly more than 30m away and 50m high?  Is that each time we plan to fly or just once after the upgrade?  My Galaxy Tab S2 is wifi only so I have no way to always log in to DJI on location.   
2017-7-10
Use props
Nigel_
Captain
Flight distance : 388642 ft
United Kingdom

wwsvs Posted at 2017-7-10 20:16
Upgrade went ok.  So.. what's the deal with needing to log in otherwise we can't fly more than 30m away and 50m high?  Is that each time we plan to fly or just once after the upgrade?  My Galaxy Tab S2 is wifi only so I have no way to always log in to DJI on location.

As far as I can see, if you sync your flights after updating Go 4 then there will be no issues, I've flown where there is definitely no mobile signal, my tablet doesn't have mobile anyway and I don't think I have logged in to anything since before the upgrade - the new Go 4 must have managed to log me in without asking when I synced the flights.
2017-7-11
Use props
Spyder3534
lvl.4
United States

Ive got about 5 flights on my S8+ running the new firmware and andriod 7, no issues.  I'm not getting any "bucking" but I didnt do any calibrations following the upgrade, everything said normal so I just flew with it. Nervous to calibrate now.
2017-7-11
Use props
Aardvark
Captain
Flight distance : 384432 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

"I personally plan to stick with last summer's firmware and RC. if it works, don't f*** with it."

If one thing alone makes the update worthwhile it's that the horizon levelling works well.
2017-7-11
Use props
Stach23
lvl.4
Flight distance : 721795 ft
United States

Aardvark Posted at 2017-7-11 08:59
"I personally plan to stick with last summer's firmware and RC. if it works, don't f*** with it."

If one thing alone makes the update worthwhile it's that the horizon levelling works well.

I agree, fixing the Tilted Horizon issue is the ONLY real reason that I may risk potentially infecting my P4 with a severe case of the shakes...
2017-7-11
Use props
DroneGuyEd
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Initially I saw a lot of wobble in flying for the new Draw Mode at slow speed.  Today I did a bit more testing.

The wobble seems related to  altitude.  If you fly below 30 feet, and use the min 2.2 MPH speed, it wobbles very clearly over the drawn route.  If you use the same route and speed as some distance above 30 (like 45), its smooth flight.

I think this is related to the downward vision system which has a limit of about 30 feet above the ground.  Somehow Draw flight below 30 feet gets confused by the downward vision system and wobbles, but draw flight above the 35 foot range is smooth.
2017-7-11
Use props
Johnny Mac 4
lvl.1
United Kingdom

After the fw update my drone is unstable  and unsafe to fly wtf I've got a phantom 4 that's just sitting there till someone can be bothered to update the firmware
2017-7-11
Use props
fans90b2bb2d
lvl.4
Flight distance : 599449 ft
United States

I wouldn't count on the update fixing the horizontal issue. My drone got the shakes, and the horizon tilt is worse than before. I have to calibrate the gimbal before every flight. I've tried reflashing the firmware, recalibrating everything there is to calibrate. Waiting for a fix...
2017-7-11
Use props
Stach23
lvl.4
United States

fans90b2bb2d Posted at 2017-7-11 13:57
I wouldn't count on the update fixing the horizontal issue. My drone got the shakes, and the horizon tilt is worse than before. I have to calibrate the gimbal before every flight. I've tried reflashing the firmware, recalibrating everything there is to calibrate. Waiting for a fix...

Thanks for the warning as it is helping to resist the urge to update.
2017-7-11
Use props
JockC
First Officer
Flight distance : 459416 ft
Australia

DroneGuyEd Posted at 2017-7-11 13:45
Initially I saw a lot of wobble in flying for the new Draw Mode at slow speed.  Today I did a bit more testing.

The wobble seems related to  altitude.  If you fly below 30 feet, and use the min 2.2 MPH speed, it wobbles very clearly over the drawn route.  If you use the same route and speed as some distance above 30 (like 45), its smooth flight.

I haven't tried Draw flight but the wobbling occurs at all heights and speeds with my drone so I don't believe it's VPS related.
2017-7-11
Use props
Vayreda
lvl.4
Flight distance : 30190 ft
United Kingdom

Here a Nvidia Shield K1 downgrade to version 6 and works great........
2017-7-11
Use props
SomeoneElsesDro
Second Officer
Flight distance : 419669 ft
United Kingdom

Guys, please post your logs per Natalia's instructions in other thread. We all know something is not right - the more data we can give them, the better chance we have of a fix,
2017-7-11
Use props
Talk-to-Frank
lvl.1
Flight distance : 213402 ft
United Kingdom

Max App Posted at 2017-7-6 06:16
Well that update has screwed with my gear. Updated which took a while. Update got to 99% then gave me a message to disconnect cable and reconnect. Dumb or not I followed the instructions. Now my controller flashes red and green and the aircraft connects and disconnects. I am abroad and can't do anything about it until I get home where I have a pc. I get updates are important but some more flexibility is needed I shouldn't be forced to do it in order to fly. What a lot of crap

Same happened to me and even though there was a warning not to disconnect or restart the drone, I did, and that seemed to fix the issue as it completed once it had restarted. It took an age and I was doing it remotely though using the 4G connection and directly plugged in to my iPhone to do the updates so I was relatively impressed but it could be done quicker and clearly its buggy still..?
2017-7-11
Use props
Bayguy69
Second Officer
Flight distance : 944275 ft
Puerto Rico

Hello guys.
I flight tested my P4 and I feel really concern about the wobbling at any altitude. Also I saw the propellers more than normal and flying in "P" mode. I'll wait until a new update is release.
2017-7-11
Use props
blackmennewstyl
lvl.3
Flight distance : 3571004 ft
Thailand

Hello

I have donwgraded my Nvidia SHIELD K1 to Android 6 and even with the latest versions of the DJI GO 4 app, it crashes maybe one time every single flight!

What version of the app are you currently using?
2017-7-11
Use props
DroneGuyEd
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

JockC Posted at 2017-7-11 14:09
I haven't tried Draw flight but the wobbling occurs at all heights and speeds with my drone so I don't believe it's VPS related.

I am only seeing the wobble during Draw flight, and then only under 30 feet.  It seems normal in the other flight modes.
2017-7-12
Use props
fansda835cd1
lvl.1

United States

Max App Posted at 2017-7-6 06:16
Well that update has screwed with my gear. Updated which took a while. Update got to 99% then gave me a message to disconnect cable and reconnect. Dumb or not I followed the instructions. Now my controller flashes red and green and the aircraft connects and disconnects. I am abroad and can't do anything about it until I get home where I have a pc. I get updates are important but some more flexibility is needed I shouldn't be forced to do it in order to fly. What a lot of crap

Hey I have the same problem any luck????
2017-7-12
Use props
X51
New
Flight distance : 5538 ft
United States

Does this mean that if I'm using DJI Goggles with a Phantom 4, I cannot fly higher than 30m or farther than 50m? There is no way to use the DJI Go 4 App and the DJI Goggles at the same time.
2017-7-12
Use props
JobDroneAcari
lvl.1
Brazil

Mabou2 Posted at 2017-7-10 07:24
Well, after a full day (literally) of test flights, I did not get much beyond trying to determine a workaround or cause for the "bucking" & "Twitching" flight, as well as the chronic loss of video transmission.

Both my P4 and my P4P buck during flight.  The P4 is totally unstable after the update (bucks too hard)  and I don't dare fly it.  The P4P is much better, but still does not have the stability it should.  I see it "wobble" too much in flight, especially in the Draw mode where it nearly flips itself sideways.

The exact same problem is happening to me. I do not know what else to do! {:4_173:}{:4_173:}{:4_173:}
2017-7-12
Use props
Slipstrm111
lvl.1
Flight distance : 5256 ft
United States

After the firmware update my drone is unstable and unsafe to fly as well. Grounded until DJI gets it fixed.
2017-7-12
Use props
Spyder3534
lvl.4
United States

Wow, horizon seems alot better with this new firmware.  Heres a flight video which would have usaully caused a tilted horizon.

2017-7-12
Use props
Stach23
lvl.4
United States

Spyder3534 Posted at 2017-7-12 11:06
Wow, horizon seems alot better with this new firmware.  Heres a flight video which would have usaully caused a tilted horizon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sF8F9558cuM

Oh man, what are you doing to me!!!! I have fully talked myself into not upgrading to the latest firmware, because of all the reported issues. Now you show me the only thing I really want, a nice, flat, perfect horizon with the new firmware!! I must resist the urge to cripple my quad....

So, have you noticed any issues whatsoever, or is your P4 flying perfectly, with all of the new features AND a NON-tilted horizon?  If so, how many flights have you tried / tested so far?

Congrats on a very flat horizon!
Stach
2017-7-12
Use props
Spyder3534
lvl.4
United States

I've done about 5 flights with the new firmware, all had good horizon lines with no "bucking". I've got some longer flights planed this weekend.   My one caveat was I didn't do any calibrations following the upgrade.  It said all sensors normal so I just flew, now i'm nervous to do any calibrations.
2017-7-12
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules