Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Cetacean
First Officer
Flight distance : 2528264 ft
  • >>>
United States

Aloha,

Has anyone else noticed that the P4 Pro with the latest DJI GO 4 app (and firmware updates) now allows you to take photos while you are recording video.  The video is not even interrupted like the last version did when I tested it.  This is really a nice touch.  The default names given to the photo files even fall in order after the default video file name so it is easier to locate the video recorded while the photos were taken.  Mahalo DJI!  Phantoms just keep getting better!

Unfortunately, the Waypoints option works all the way up until the mission is to be recorded, then it fails to load the new chosen waypoints or record the waypoints into a mission.  It even asks for the RTH altitude and provides the current altitude if you want to change it (which is a nice thing to have available).  Bummer.  But, I am sure DJI is working on getting the waypoints working.  For us Android users, we are not able to use DJI's Ground Station Pro (iOS only) as an alternative.  But then, maybe I am somehow not using the Waypoints mode properly after all this time.  Maybe I missed a new step (or something has been added) that I do not know about.

Mahalo again DJI!

Aloha and Drone On!
2017-7-6
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

That's a nice P4 advantage.... Thanks for letting others know.

RedHotPoker
2017-7-6
Use props
Cetacean
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

RedHotPoker Posted at 2017-7-6 14:39
That's a nice P4 advantage.... Thanks for letting others know.

Aloha RedHot,

That is definitely a plus, especially with the file naming so you do not get lost in your file explorer.  So how is the cold over there?  Has it warmed up yet?

Aloha and Drone On!
2017-7-6
Use props
Geebax
First Officer
Australia

Thanks for that Cetacean, what resolution are the still photos taken in this mode? Are they full 20 Megapixel shots, or video resolution grabs? Can you take RAW?
2017-7-6
Use props
Eric ncfwa
lvl.4
Flight distance : 322526 ft
Australia

Yes, I have also noticed this uninterrupted photo taking during video I agree, nice touch,
2017-7-6
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Good job Cetacean, so many times I've had to fly back to get photos this will make big difference. Just as well someone is awake.
JPEG and raw , raw or just jpeg or all of them.

Thank you
2017-7-6
Use props
Cetacean
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 2017-7-6 15:42
Good job Cetacean, so many times I've had to fly back to get photos this will make big difference. Just as well someone is awake.
JPEG and raw , raw or just jpeg or all of them.

Aloha 007,

Hell, I am just happy to get the photos!  I have not figures out if all of the formats are available.  Give it a shot and let me know!

Aloha and Drone On!
2017-7-6
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

Cetacean Posted at 2017-7-6 14:50
Aloha RedHot,

That is definitely a plus, especially with the file naming so you do not get lost in your file explorer.  So how is the cold over there?  Has it warmed up yet?

This is one of the warmest spring/summers here in history.
Hovering around +30*C all week....

Thanks for asking... ;-)

RedHotPoker
2017-7-6
Use props
Eric13
lvl.4
Flight distance : 13982031 ft
  • >>>
Germany

I have the P4P since end of February and I shot photos while recording video from day one.
It is just not possible when video output is set to 4k. Also DNG output is not possible.
The jpgs are not better than a screen shot from video though.
2017-7-6
Use props
Geebax
First Officer
Australia

Eric13 Posted at 2017-7-6 21:50
I have the P4P since end of February and I shot photos while recording video from day one.
It is just not possible when video output is set to 4k. Also DNG output is not possible.

In that case, it is probably a screen grab, not a full resolution still.
2017-7-6
Use props
Cetacean
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Eric13 Posted at 2017-7-6 21:50

Aloha Eric,

Try 4K video again and take a photo.  I only record video in 4K and the photo operation works flawlessly - at least for .jpg.  I had a project this evening so I was not able to check what photo formats can be taken, but I asked hallmark007 to look into it.  Tomorrow is another day.  I should be able to get a few shots in then.

I used to pull frames from my videos for photos as you noted.  But now that is not necessary.

Aloha and Drone On!
2017-7-7
Use props
Eric13
lvl.4
Flight distance : 13982031 ft
  • >>>
Germany

Yes, it works if you shoot 30fps. Not with 60fps.

A photo taken compared to a screen shot produces a slightly larger file - 1.9 instead of 1.3MB
Resolution photo 4096x2160, screenshot 2560x1346.

I think Geebax is right. It is not a real photo. When I shoot stills with video off the camera always jerks a bit.
That doesn't occurr when shooting while video is running.
I guess it is some kind of a 'fake' photo. A frame from the video is being grabbed...

2017-7-7
Use props
Cetacean
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Eric13 Posted at 2017-7-7 03:42

A photo taken compared to a screen shot produces a slightly larger file - 1.9 instead of 1.3MB

Aloha Eric,

Mahalo!  I did not even think of 60fps.  That is interesting.  4K video at 60fps will make outrageous slow mo.  I got to try it!

Aloha and Drone On!
2017-7-7
Use props
Cetacean
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Eric13 Posted at 2017-7-7 03:42

Aloha Eric,

You are right.  But, mine is so bad it acted like it was taking a photo but then kicked me into a disconnect crash (I have a nVidia Shield K1).  Later, after the download into the computer, it turned out that there was no photo.  That is so "Fake" it does not exist!  (That Faked Me out!)

Aloha and Drone On!
2017-7-7
Use props
Cetacean
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Geebax Posted at 2017-7-6 15:07
Thanks for that Cetacean, what resolution are the still photos taken in this mode? Are they full 20 Megapixel shots, or video resolution grabs? Can you take RAW?

Aloha Geebax,

Sorry, I missed this post.  Today's flight was really multipurpose.  So I did not get to make any thorough assessments of the new abilities, like what photo formats.  Plus, right after I landed a wild boar came waltzing by and I scrambled to get the bird back in the air.  Unfortunately, the boar split soon after I saw him.

Let me see what I can find out for you tomorrow.

Aloha and Drone On!
2017-7-7
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Cetacean Posted at 2017-7-7 02:45
Aloha Eric,

Try 4K video again and take a photo.  I only record video in 4K and the photo operation works flawlessly - at least for .jpg.  I had a project this evening so I was not able to check what photo formats can be taken, but I asked hallmark007 to look into it.  Tomorrow is another day.  I should be able to get a few shots in then.

I see Eiric has confirmed it worked fine for me no Raw but good Resolutio 4096x2160, Night & Day taken while videoing in 4K 24 fps good find.

IMG-1156.JPG IMG-1161.JPG
2017-7-7
Use props
Cetacean
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 2017-7-7 22:58
I see Eiric has confirmed it worked fine for me no Raw but good Resolutio 4096x2160, Night & Day taken while videoing in 4K 24 fps good find.

[view_image][view_image]

Aloha 007,

Does that mean my photos will come out as nice as yours!  Tomorrow, I am going to try the .jpg and RAW combo.

Aloha and Drone On!
2017-7-7
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Cetacean Posted at 2017-7-7 23:09
Aloha 007,

Does that mean my photos will come out as nice as yours!  Tomorrow, I am going to try the .jpg and RAW combo.

I think I'm just lucky with the Landscape. Photographs are fine pretty big and high res, I took about 20 on the move, my video was fine, as it's working it's fine for me and a really good extra I will use.

I'm sure yours will be great.
2017-7-7
Use props
blackcrusader
lvl.4
Flight distance : 689774 ft
Taiwan

hallmark007 Posted at 2017-7-7 23:23
I think I'm just lucky with the Landscape. Photographs are fine pretty big and high res, I took about 20 on the move, my video was fine, as it's working it's fine for me and a really good extra I will use.

I'm sure yours will be great.

I guess this won't apply to my Phantom 3 Standard? lol
2017-7-7
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

blackcrusader Posted at 2017-7-7 23:29
I guess this won't apply to my Phantom 3 Standard? lol

I really don't know, but you can try, I will try Mavic during the week to see if it's there.
2017-7-7
Use props
Hawkowl
lvl.1

United States

Great to know!
2017-7-10
Use props
Cetacean
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Aloha Hawkowl,

Remember it does not work with wide-screen 4K but it did for me with 4:3 screen ratio 4K.  Also it takes .dng with ,jpeg.  It is listed as RAW though.

Aloha and Drone On!
2017-7-10
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules