Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
mavic went for a swim
2820 19 2017-7-6
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
boostedford
lvl.4
Flight distance : 144478 ft
United States

i made a rookie mistake (and im not a rookie) battery was at 20% (i normally land at 30%) i was landing at that point but then auto rth kicked in. i was trying to cancel it in a panic since it started acending again. when i finally did, i again was trying to land it manually, and then it suddenly went haywire decending super fast i thought for sure it would go smack in the ground. instead it went flying off down the block and i lost rc connection and sight (yes it was originally LOS i was trying to record the fireworks) and i used find my drone. i found where it was in someones back yard but i couldnt ring the bell as it was 11pm. (btw it didnt crash just landed from low battery) so i waited til 12pm the next day to knock on the door, and it had landed in their pool. i was gonna try to dry it out and see if itll work but it may be useless. the usb port and sonar sensors have a crusty white on them i imagine is dried chlorine. so i can only imagine what the insides look like.

i did not bother to put in rice as i read its a myth and could make things worse from the starch, and i dont have and silica. so i dried it in the sun.

My main question is since im gonna use my care refresh for the first time, do I HAVE to include the RC as well? or only the AC and battery? what about the gimble guard and cover? or do i save that for the replacement?

20170704_115705.jpg
20170704_120551.jpg
2017-7-6
Use props
Jenee 2
Second Officer
Flight distance : 7852129 ft
Australia

Under the circumstances, it would probably be best if you contacted support and let them advise you what is required to be sent back.
2017-7-6
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

We are so sorry for the mishap and the drone which fell into water may exists may potential thread and we don't suggest to keep using, we suggest to replace it by DJI Care Refresh for safety flight in the future.
DJI Care Refresh of Mavic only contains the aircraft, gimbal, camera, battery and propellers. If the RC works fine, there is no need to be sent in.
2017-7-6
Use props
boostedford
lvl.4
United States

Thank you Mindy I will be shipping it out today with DJI care refresh
2017-7-7
Use props
boostedford
lvl.4
United States

i am done with dji. never again. this is unacceptable. i paid extra for DJI "warranty" which states that it will replace your drone in an event of a crash or water damage for something like $169. That was the main reason I purchased this warranty. A warranty that is a complete joke, and dji TAKES your money and laughs all the way to the bank!!!! i've stated in the original post what happened to my drone and this is the email i get from dji. They are out of their minds. As i stated in the original post, i was trying to land it myself when auto rth kicked in. i then was fighting to cancel it because i prefer to land it myself than rely on this. well because of rth kicking in when i finally stopped it and was trying to manually land again, it went haywire. i began my decent again and it started decending super fast. i dont know why but i took my hands off the controls hoping it would stop. it kept going down, then proceeded to fly off down the block. thus by doing that and at the low alt it was at, i lost rc connection. so no DJI i did not have control nor would i intentionally let it land in someones pool? come on now. obviously if i still had rc connection it wouldnt land in someones pool. dji's care refresh is misleading and utterly pointless.  when i purchased this "warranty" it was presented to me as if you have a crash or an "oops" moment dji will replace it the first time with a refurbished one for $169 i believe it was. and the second time the bill was on you. so what did i buy this useless warranty for if it did NOTHING for me?! had i KNOWN that i was going to be SCAMMED by dji and my drone stolen from me basically and held for randsom, i would of just kept it as it still worked despite going in a pool. I could of had someone local fix any issues that came up. i am NEVER buying any dji drone EVER again. for $700, i may as well wait for a mavic 2. but no, i am never buying from them again. BUYER BEWARE!!! this is totally unacceptable. they make faulty products, then wont fix or replace them and demand almost full price, and laugh all the way to the bank. NEVER AGAIN! btw it seems its only a matter of time for everyone's drone to go screwy as i have been following this forum since the beginning. dji is a scam i'm sorry. I had put a lot of faith in this product, but sadly i cannot anymore. and they are not getting  $700 from me. I can't afford that right now. they can keep my drone that they stole and held randsom from me, and will never expect business from me again. my advice? try to get state farm insurance if anything. i was going  to get it, and foolishly didn't thinking i didn't need it cause i had already purchased dji's warranty. well the joke was on me. SHAME on you dji. you shouldn't offer a warranty if you arent going to honor it. ANY phone company despite what phone it is if you brake, damage, lose, fall in water anything, they have insurance and you can replace it once with a deductable. that is the point of a warranty, and how the dji care refresh is SUPPOSED to work. instead they steal your money and wont do anything for you. i am very disappointed with this company.

Screenshot 2017-07-19 22.06.35.jpg
2017-7-19
Use props
Jeff7577
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1916821 ft
United States

You need to tell them to use your DJI care. It is not a warranty case, but if you really have DJI Care then that should apply.
2017-7-19
Use props
Lucas775
Second Officer
Flight distance : 50642090 ft
  • >>>
United States

Is it me or the DJI care from what I am hearing from a lot of people "sucks"

I hope you get this sorted out.
2017-7-19
Use props
DTK
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1943159 ft
Australia

Jeff7577 is right. You should be claiming your refresh and pay a $79 as excess. It protect you against any user mistakes provided that you send them back the drone as proof.
2017-7-19
Use props
Digitaldias
lvl.1
Flight distance : 54587 ft
Norway

Don't dry it in the sun. Get a LARGE bag of RICE  and stick it in there for a week. Should completely dry out everything outside and inside.
2017-7-19
Use props
dancopter
lvl.4
Flight distance : 17901030 ft
  • >>>
United Arab Emirates

Looks like a communication failure. Definitely not warranty but DJI refresh. May pay to contact them to resolve this rather than rant away.
2017-7-19
Use props
boostedford
lvl.4
United States

Jeff7577 Posted at 2017-7-19 20:08
You need to tell them to use your DJI care. It is not a warranty case, but if you really have DJI Care then that should apply.

Ah who do i contact to let them know i want to use my care refresh?
2017-7-20
Use props
boostedford
lvl.4
United States

Dont know how to edit my original post from my phone, but i want to apologise for my rant. I had not realized i had selected repair instead of care refresh. I gave dji repair center a call, and they worked everything out. It was just a simple mistake on my part.
2017-7-20
Use props
Mojito
lvl.2
United States

Yea care refresh should cover it not the warranty.
2017-7-20
Use props
fans987d278a
lvl.4
Flight distance : 124180 ft
Canada

Mojito Posted at 2017-7-20 08:06
Yea care refresh should cover it not the warranty.

Still, in your defense, you think a DJI rep would have suggested using refresh & not have to rely on a poster on here to suggest this.
So, I;m glad its sorted out & you are only paying the deductible, but DJI- Should be the ones giving up the solution, jeez!!
2017-7-20
Use props
PimpDawg
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1204754 ft
United States

I've been thru this.

They will oftentimes give you the option to pay for repair and save your care refresh for a more catastrophic repair scenario but they explained to me that they can't send both quotes (one for repair and one for DJI Care refresh), only one quote at a time which is weird. You'd think they could send both quotes so you could compare and make an informed decision. Not sure why their system is set up to not provide both quotes/options but that is what they told me....
2017-7-20
Use props
Burmman
lvl.4
Flight distance : 182142 ft
United States

Sorry to hear about your mavic going down in a pool. Everytime I read these things it makes me scared to fly mine. I see exactly what you are saying. I think they don;t want to fix the problems because they keep getting money from us when they go crazy. I watched a video on youtube were a guy lost his Mavic in a pond and it was there for 7 days. He dried it in rice for a week and has NO problems with it. The thing works great after being dried out in the rice. So if anyone else has this problem put it in rice.
2017-7-20
Use props
Griffith
lvl.4
Flight distance : 98537 ft
United States

I hate to get on my soapbox again - especially since I've never needed to use customer service, but there have been way to many similar incidents of ambiguous and inflexible services processes.  Thankfully some of the moderators have been able to help - eventually.  

Time to re-organize guys.
2017-7-20
Use props
Twirlip
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2461545 ft
United States

Digitaldias Posted at 2017-7-19 20:34
Don't dry it in the sun. Get a LARGE bag of RICE  and stick it in there for a week. Should completely dry out everything outside and inside.

I'd advise against trying to fly the drone again, under any circumstances.  It's not just a matter of "drying it out".  It didn't crash in distilled water-- it crashed in a swimming pool, where the water is full of chemicals.  (He even noted that he saw a dry white crusty deposit on the outside of the drone, after drying it off.)

Even if the drone somehow managed to get completely dried off, outside and in, via evaporation, there's still gonna be chemical crud left deposited on all the internal electronics, sensitive moving parts, etc.  The crud gets left behind when the water evaporates.

There's no telling what that kind of crud could do to a drone if someone were foolish enough to try to operate it.  I could imagine it causing some sort of short-circuit, which could fry the drone worse than it is already, or possibly start a fire.  Or it could cause mechanical parts to seize up.

The drone is toast-- I'd be very skeptical that any private user could do anything to restore it.  This is a case of needing to send it back to DJI as part of his DJI Refresh policy.
2017-7-20
Use props
AG0N-Gary
Second Officer
Flight distance : 700846 ft
United States

I have to agree with Twirlip.  Instead of trying to dry it out, it needed to be dunked and flushed with distilled water, maybe even soaked in it for a period of time.  What's it going to hurt, since it probably spent quite a bit of time in the pool water with all kinds of chemicals before being fished out.  Like others, I know people have recovered water soaked Mavics before and some did not have any problem at all after proper drying.  I would have flushed it out, then let it soak, then flushed it out again, all with distilled water.  Then, let it get as much water out of it as you can and let it dry out for a week or so, in rice or otherwise.  Yes, rice absorbs moisture, and it gives up that moisture again when it heats up (ever use a heat bag on your body?).  Clean it up afterward and put a fresh battery in it.  Don't trust the waterlogged battery-dispose of it.  See what works and what doesn't work.  Try IMU, Compass, Gimbal alignments if necessary, and keep your fingers crossed.  Of course, use your refresh if you have it.  But if you don't, try what I have described.  What do you have to lose?  Also be very careful where you fly for quite awhile afterward, assuming it seems OK.  Remember your liability.
2017-7-20
Use props
boostedford
lvl.4
United States

Thanks for all the tips guys. For the future, I'm going to keep a bag of rice and or silica gels, and distilled water just in case. Not that i often fly over water, but god forbid something like this happens again. I also did not know about the distilled water until it was too late. I tried turning it on after drying it in the sun and waiting two days, and it still worked. However i did not risk trying to fly it. Also the camera lens was fogged up. And like I said before the usb port already had dry white stuff on it, and didnt work when i plugged it into the computer. This sucks because I'm not a rookie drone pilot, and i should of known better. I took a risk and messed up and im still mad at myself for it. But things happen and you learn from it. I think i will still get state farm insurance just as a backup. Also God forbid it crashed into someones window or damaged property, that state farm will come in handy. I do wish dji's care refresh process was a little more informative. Its very easy to assume it means warranty repair. Which is why i got confused. I thought i was using the care refresh. But hopefully everything is worked out now and i will be getting a replacement drone. Thank you everyone for letting me know, and giving me the tips.
2017-7-20
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules