Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Alxy
lvl.2
Flight distance : 84350 ft
Switzerland

Cetacean Posted at 2017-7-10 14:55
Aloha Alxy,

What you are saying is simply not true.  Thousands of us have no problems and do not update or upgrade.  They just do not have the bells and whistles those of us who do update and upgrade do.  If you are having a problem, fix it like the rest of us do.  Do not suffer the problem and just belly-ache that DJI is against you.  DJI should not be expected to come to your house and hold your hand while you fix your machine.

The problem with forced firmware update is resolvable. That's why thousands of owners have no issue. But it can happen that, like for some users who complain here, the drone is blocked at a location where the user either has no time to update or has a connectivity issue.
DJI is not supposed to come to my house in the first place - they should not force the update. If they did then may be it would be good that they also come to fix it.
DJI has a closed system and I cannot fix anything. The only thing I can do is to install or re-install what is provided to me.
DJI provides both software and hardware. I have no option to use the hardware with other software.  Even if I could, I bought both from DJI.
2017-7-12
Use props
Alxy
lvl.2
Switzerland

Cetacean Posted at 2017-7-10 14:55
Aloha Alxy,

What you are saying is simply not true.  Thousands of us have no problems and do not update or upgrade.  They just do not have the bells and whistles those of us who do update and upgrade do.  If you are having a problem, fix it like the rest of us do.  Do not suffer the problem and just belly-ache that DJI is against you.  DJI should not be expected to come to your house and hold your hand while you fix your machine.

The problem with forced firmware update is resolvable. That's why thousands of owners have no issue. But it can happen that, like for some users who complain here, the drone is blocked at a location where the user either has no time to update or has a connectivity issue.
DJI is not supposed to come to my house in the first place - they should not force the update. If they did then may be it would be good that they also come to fix it.
DJI has a closed system and I cannot fix anything. The only thing I can do is to install or re-install what is provided to me.
DJI provides both software and hardware. I have no option to use the hardware with other software.  Even if I could, I bought both from DJI.
2017-7-12
Use props
Alxy
lvl.2
Switzerland

Mayday Posted at 2017-7-11 14:56
DJI appear to have initiated something which is either sinister, downright incompetent or a deception which they are not prepared to admit.

The very fact that they have disabled roll back on the firmware is very telling.

Apple for example does not allow to downgrade neither iOS nor apps, but they do not force the updates either.
2017-7-12
Use props
Antonio76
Second Officer
Flight distance : 144403 ft
Denmark

Aardvark, that is clearly a drone with a camo shell being forced to land because of a forced trunk update in a non wifi connected area in the african savannah wilderness!
2017-7-12
Use props
theGrindLab.com
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1375846 ft
  • >>>
United States

Alxy Posted at 2017-7-12 04:45

That's exactly he problem that many people do not understand (likely because it does not affect them). I believe for most, the forced update in itself is not the issue. The main problem is requiring an update when an update is either inconvenient or impossible at the time. Having a flying machine rendered as not flyable in a situation where the user cannot resolve the issue is the issue.
2017-7-12
Use props
Antonio76
Second Officer
Denmark

theGrindLab.com Posted at 2017-7-12 05:42
That's exactly he problem that many people do not understand (likely because it does not affect them). I believe for most, the forced update in itself is not the issue. The main problem is requiring an update when an update is either inconvenient or impossible at the time. Having a flying machine rendered as not flyable in a situation where the user cannot resolve the issue is the issue.

Yes, it would have been much easier for all (I include DJI in this) if there had been a widely publicized warning a couple or three days earlier...  But then there would have been some already in the wilderness and incommunicado, then what? When some fast action is needed (and we could talk for days in a row defining what is "needed" and what is not), somebody will be hit by it. Hopefully a very little minority, and hopefully for  a really important reason.  Yet I wonder how such a new technology has become so important in everyday's  life than apparently it can't be missed even for a very short time.
2017-7-12
Use props
theGrindLab.com
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1375846 ft
  • >>>
United States

Antonio76 Posted at 2017-7-12 08:20
Yes, it would have been much easier for all (I include DJI in this) if there had been a widely publicized warning a couple or three days earlier...  But then there would have been some already in the wilderness and incommunicado, then what? When some fast action is needed (and we could talk for days in a row defining what is "needed" and what is not), somebody will be hit by it. Hopefully a very little minority, and hopefully for  a really important reason.  Yet I wonder how such a new technology has become so important in everyday's  life than apparently it can't be missed even for a very short time.

Exactly (again)! They make this great tech and then restrict us from using it at any particular minute of the day as we see fit! How dare they do such a thing! (Sarcasm)

It's sort of like how people are so connected to their mobile device apps and social networks, that when they cannot access them they behave as if the world is ending.

Wait. I'm arguing the wrong point here. Never mind! DJI, please stop grounding our aircraft! We want to fly now, then, and any other time we are ready! While you're at it, stop hiding that new battery tech that will allow us to fly for 8 straight hours on one charge. We know you have that already!
2017-7-12
Use props
Antonio76
Second Officer
Denmark

theGrindLab.com Posted at 2017-7-12 09:27
Exactly (again)! They make this great tech and then restrict us from using it at any particular minute of the day as we see fit! How dare they do such a thing! (Sarcasm)

It's sort of like how people are so connected to their mobile device apps and social networks, that when they cannot access them they behave as if the world is ending.

As they say, "Nothing Flies Like a DJI"...
2017-7-12
Use props
Antonio76
Second Officer
Denmark

Landbo Posted at 2017-7-12 11:14
Wrong, "nothing is grounded like DJI".   

Regards Leif.

I think american people, especially from Nebraska may have gotten the humor...
2017-7-12
Use props
Landbo
Second Officer
Flight distance : 502792 ft
Denmark

Antonio76 Posted at 2017-7-12 09:59
As they say, "Nothing Flies Like a DJI"...

Wrong, "nothing is grounded like DJI".   

Regards Leif.
2017-7-12
Use props
Landbo
Second Officer
Flight distance : 502792 ft
Denmark

Antonio76 Posted at 2017-7-12 11:13
I think american people, especially from Nebraska may have gotten the humor...

Perhaps. I simply could not resist.   

Regards Leif.
2017-7-12
Use props
Captain Ed
New

United States

you forgot to take it out of begginner flight mode. Put it in tripod or speed mode.
2017-7-12
Use props
Captain Ed
New

United States

Timothyimagery Posted at 2017-7-9 05:36
I randomly get limited range in range, all updates, have logged in on app etc, there is a bug in the software

Limited range is often antenna position or standing under something that blocks signal. Don't stand under roof or car hatch back if flying outside.

Antennas don't put out signal through tips. pointing antennas at drone kills signal. Signal comes out the sides of antennas and must be parralell tot he drone.
2017-7-12
Use props
Captain Ed
New

United States

Dirty Bird Posted at 2017-7-9 05:32
According to the app description flight is restricted unless connected.  It doesn't say anything about "one time" in DJI's description.

"OR" logged into the app during flight.
2017-7-12
Use props
Captain Ed
New

United States

Phantomski Posted at 2017-7-10 10:47
Since I also have p3p, what's happening? My p3A is just fine.. p3p I did not update yet.. what's erratic? Like I think I said in one of the posts.. after my first flight with internet, i had no more issues, with or without internet....  perhaps it's enough to take off for a minute with your phone as a hotspot, for each aircraft, and then i would hope u'd be fine....
Hope u can fix it before the vacation is over.....
There were discussions that one way to deal with it, is do not update the app, until the firmware is released and u r ready to go through the process...  but that came out more in the forums, not the official email announcements or warnings in the app, from DJI...

In the U.S. these problems may increase around the 4th. of July. I am a licensed boat captain, and there have been 4 boats that suffered radar failure the Saturday before the 4th. of July. this is traditionally when they set off fireworks. I boat near a top secret military facility. It is possible that the base is sending random jamming signals and false GPS coordinates to foil any terrorist attempts. There have been warnings to expect GPS problems and to navigate with paper charts as a back up. I am not starting a conspiracy theory, but the coast guard has warned of annomilies around the 4th.
2017-7-12
Use props
Aardvark
First Officer
Flight distance : 384432 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

And a quote for the Brits amongst us:-

"Don't tell them your name Pike" ....
2017-7-12
Use props
Cetacean
Captain
Flight distance : 2528264 ft
  • >>>
United States

Alxy Posted at 2017-7-12 04:41

Aloha Alxy,

The issue is not the "forced" update.  That "forced" update can be avoided so there is really no force at all.  I know many people who never updated the firmware or the app.  What is required is that the flier sign in to the DJI servers in order to use the licensed firmware, old or new.  That requirement is at the prerogative of DJI.  In my own experience, I knew for at least a month ahead of time that there would be a sign-in issue and that I had to sign in.  That is why I took the time and I signed in in the ease and security of my own home with Internet access.

Some have claimed that DJI started announcing the sign-in requirement two months ahead of enforcement of the requirement.  I even got an email to the effect that I would have to sign in.  Hopefully, this clears up some things.

Aloha and Drone On!
2017-7-12
Use props
Phantomski
Second Officer
Flight distance : 14869882 ft
United States

This was flown without internet... so no you do NOT need internet once you initialized and powered the motors once after the update WITH internet.. sorry.. I flew enough after the upgrade.. and I just upgraded my PRO, exact same behavior....
360 of Downtown Denver, home distance 1700ft, altitude 800ft....
Perhaps I am just crazy lucky.. which would NOT be normal for me....
Certainly had no internet, the wifi on the tablet was off on purpose....
BUT it was ON for the first flight I meant to be unrestricted after the upgrade....
2017-7-12
Use props
Dobmatt
First Officer
Flight distance : 1831050 ft
  • >>>
Canada

Cetacean Posted at 2017-7-12 16:55
Aloha Alxy,

The issue is not the "forced" update.  That "forced" update can be avoided so there is really no force at all.  I know many people who never updated the firmware or the app.  What is required is that the flier sign in to the DJI servers in order to use the licensed firmware, old or new.  That requirement is at the prerogative of DJI.  In my own experience, I knew for at least a month ahead of time that there would be a sign-in issue and that I had to sign in.  That is why I took the time and I signed in in the ease and security of my own home with Internet access.

Than why I was left in the darkness (no email from DJI about required re-signing procedure) until I was already on the move and away from reliable internet access, remains a mystery. Perhaps just bad luck, maybe my ignorance ...
2017-7-12
Use props
Dobmatt
First Officer
  • >>>
Canada

theGrindLab.com Posted at 2017-7-12 05:42

And that's exactly what I was trying to say in numerous posts since June 20 when I encountered the issue for the first time. I don't mind to comply, but not now, not on camping trip ...
2017-7-12
Use props
Cetacean
Captain
  • >>>
United States

Dobmatt Posted at 2017-7-12 20:21
Than why I was left in the darkness (no email from DJI about required re-signing procedure) until I was already on the move and away from reliable internet access, remains a mystery. Perhaps just bad luck, maybe my ignorance ...

Aloha Matt,

Have you written to DJI about the problem?  Do they have your current email address?  I know they made me change my moniker due to their email address policy.  Do you get other emails from them?

What happened to you is not good for anyone - especially you!  But under the circumstances, you have to solve the problem of why you were not informed even if it is only by email.  Is the DJI email in your SPAM folder?  You really need to find out what happened.

Aloha and Drone On!
2017-7-13
Use props
Dobmatt
First Officer
  • >>>
Canada

Cetacean Posted at 2017-7-13 01:57
Aloha Matt,

Have you written to DJI about the problem?  Do they have your current email address?  I know they made me change my moniker due to their email address policy.  Do you get other emails from them?

Thank you, Cetacean Brother, for spiritual support . This entire mess with my flock of DJI drones (sporadic, but extremely troubling) got me by surprise in the worst possible scenario: on summer vacation trip around Canadian Rocky Mountains with my camper/house boat. I have life and I don't walk with my laptop 24/7, constantly wired to network ... Perhaps I should and detect the issue before leaving home, but somehow I didn't.

Yes, I must and will take care of it ASAP. Problem is that the very basic idea of this trip assumes aerial photography mostly in wild, remote parts of this country, barely accessible by 4x4 or bush plane. Resolving the issue in such conditions seems to be mission impossible. Since all problems so far were random, sporadic and temporary inflicted, I can only pray and keep my fingers crossed ...
2017-7-13
Use props
Cetacean
Captain
  • >>>
United States

Dobmatt Posted at 2017-7-13 10:00
Thank you, Cetacean Brother, for spiritual support . This entire mess with my flock of DJI drones (sporadic, but extremely troubling) got me by surprise in the worst possible scenario: on summer vacation trip around Canadian Rocky Mountains with my camper/house boat. I have life and I don't walk with my laptop 24/7, constantly wired to network ... Perhaps I should and detect the issue before leaving home, but somehow I didn't.

Yes, I must and will take care of it ASAP. Problem is that the very basic idea of this trip assumes aerial photography mostly in wild, remote parts of this country, barely accessible by 4x4 or bush plane. Resolving the issue in such conditions seems to be mission impossible. Since all problems so far were random, sporadic and temporary inflicted, I can only pray and keep my fingers crossed ...

Aloha Matt,

You just wrote that to make me jealous.  Look at it this way.  You now have a great excuse to do it again and make me really jealous!

Aloha and Drone On!
2017-7-13
Use props
Dobmatt
First Officer
  • >>>
Canada

Cetacean Posted at 2017-7-13 15:54
Aloha Matt,

You just wrote that to make me jealous.  Look at it this way.  You now have a great excuse to do it again and make me really jealous!

You know what bucket list is, don't you, Brother Cetacean? If not that, I'll relax, enjoy Mother Nature as much as possible and start planning next year expedition with Pumpkin drone instead ...

Today I had a chance to shoot beautiful alpine scenery of Christina Lake (Latitude 49.1513, Longitude -118.2812). Decided to arm P4P+ for this, all systems check and OK, blessed to fly. Up we go and ... whoa, I'm in warning zone (green)! OK, apparently no big deal, that's not yellow or red NFZ ... I'm prompted to declare either an authorized permit to fly here or full responsibility on my own. Second option check, sent for DJI blessing ... oops, error: no internet connection available! Of course, silly me, what internet when all WiFi sources detected in proximity are owned by local ranchers and farmers, and locked!!!

No worries, I'll get that perfect shot next time ... or maybe not ...
2017-7-13
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

Dobmatt Posted at 2017-7-13 21:15
You know what bucket list is, don't you, Brother Cetacean? If not that, I'll relax, enjoy Mother Nature as much as possible and start planning next year expedition with Pumpkin drone instead ...

Today I had a chance to shoot beautiful alpine scenery of Christina Lake (Latitude 49.1513, Longitude -118.2812). Decided to arm P4P+ for this, all systems check and OK, blessed to fly. Up we go and ... whoa, I'm in warning zone (green)! OK, apparently no big deal, that's not yellow or red NFZ ... I'm prompted to declare either an authorized permit to fly here or full responsibility on my own. Second option check, sent for DJI blessing ... oops, error: no internet connection available! Of course, silly me, what internet when all WiFi sources detected in proximity are owned by local ranchers and farmers, and locked!!!

Given that any bit of water bigger than a football field is likely to have a floatplane landing on it, I would imagine that rules out about 90% of Canada.
2017-7-13
Use props
Cabansail
lvl.4
Flight distance : 136686 ft

Australia

Then you have to keep away from all animals, so make sure there aren't any squirrels in the forest.
2017-7-13
Use props
blackcrusader
Second Officer
Flight distance : 689774 ft
Taiwan

Simple solution.... use your 3g or 4g and open a wifi connection to phone then use that?

Works for me
2017-7-13
Use props
Cetacean
Captain
  • >>>
United States

Aloha Matt,

Ahh.?.  So that is how it plays out.  Can you disable GEO?  I think my P3P allows it?

Aloha and Drone On!
2017-7-14
Use props
MikeW2
lvl.1
United States

Phantomski Posted at 2017-7-8 10:01
U need internet only ONCE after the firmware upgrade....
I feel for you, but.. either you upgraded and did not test before a big and serous job, or DJI is wrong, and what they said is not true..
The idea was supposed to be - upgrade app and firmware, the next flight has to have internet available, the system will ask you to login to your go account again and validate.

Only needing internet once after upgrading to verify account...
Oh wow!  That's good to know.  Reading many of these posts, it sounding like for all flights!
This eases my mind. Thank you for clarifying this.
2017-7-14
Use props
Phantomski
Second Officer
Flight distance : 14869882 ft
United States

MikeW2 Posted at 2017-7-14 01:03
Oh wow!  That's good to know.  Reading many of these posts, it sounding like for all flights!

I just did tests with Advanced as well as pro - that is exactly how it works, and how DJI said it would.. I had number of flights, on both drones, without internet, no issue. I also flew with no internet in a different area, no issues either. It does seem that they do get restricted when flying without the GO app - rc only... do I mind? no.. Do I wish I had more info on it? Perhaps..... in general it all works as I expected, from DJIs explanation.
2017-7-14
Use props
Dobmatt
First Officer
  • >>>
Canada

blackcrusader Posted at 2017-7-13 23:43
Simple solution.... use your 3g or 4g and open a wifi connection to phone then use that?

Works for me

No, this is NOT simple solution, Brother Blackcrusader ... Firstly, I don't have a cellular phone with such capability or feature. Second, my drone is already hovering 6' above ground when this warning pops out, prompting to read the instructions on small screen (P4P+) and perform some absurd steps in order to unlock the machine and fly further...

Finally, the idea of halting UAV activities inside an recreation area abused by hundreds wake boarders  with 300HP motorboats seems to be equally absurd ... If protecting the natural habitat is the main reason for such limitations, than UAV is the least threat to worry about, IMHO.
2017-7-14
Use props
MeDrone
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1245548 ft
Italy

Pritch84
From my point of view...is all your fault,or maybe a flame towards DJI, don't know.I'm not using my drone for professional purpose,only a hobby,but i take my bird very seriously ,updates,news regarding flying etc .If i remember well, before the update a notice appeared at application startup days before the change .
2017-7-14
Use props
Dobmatt
First Officer
  • >>>
Canada

Cetacean Posted at 2017-7-14 00:41
Aloha Matt,

Ahh.?.  So that is how it plays out.  Can you disable GEO?  I think my P3P allows it?

Just checked the GEO System On/Off switch feature ... Nope, no matter what position of the switch is, the message pops up and I can't fly my P4P+ ... They really made it clear ... All I can do is shut the machine down, pack my stuff and go somewhere else. Or shut myself down and take a swim ... The water here is crystal clear and insanely warm ...

Funny thing is that the two other birds I'm carrying here (both P3P and I1P) are apparently immune to the newest, reinforced geofencing restrictions ... Compare the Fly Safe map for P3P and P4P, the late is madly populated with new NFZ areas of various kind ... Including JFK Airport and the pond with rare frog species on my friends acreage LOL.

Cheers, my Oceanic Mammal friend ...

2017-7-14
Use props
Cetacean
Captain
  • >>>
United States

Dobmatt Posted at 2017-7-14 14:18
Just checked the GEO System On/Off switch feature ... Nope, no matter what position of the switch is, the message pops up and I can't fly my P4P+ ... They really made it clear ... All I can do is shut the machine down, pack my stuff and go somewhere else. Or shut myself down and take a swim ... The water here is crystal clear and insanely warm ...

Funny thing is that the two other birds I'm carrying here (both P3P and I1P) are apparently immune to the newest, reinforced geofencing restrictions ... Compare the Fly Safe map for P3P and P4P, the late is madly populated with new NFZ areas of various kind ... Including JFK Airport and the pond with rare frog species on my friends acreage LOL.

Aloha Matt,

Well do not suffer too badly.  When I complain about my circumstances, it usually falls on deaf ears!

Aloha and Drone On!
2017-7-14
Use props
blackcrusader
Second Officer
Flight distance : 689774 ft
Taiwan

MikeW2 Posted at 2017-7-14 01:03

One time only.  I wish people would read properly the instructions before going off with misinformation.
2017-7-14
Use props
Fishy
lvl.1
United States

Phantomski Posted at 2017-7-8 10:01
U need internet only ONCE after the firmware upgrade....
I feel for you, but.. either you upgraded and did not test before a big and serous job, or DJI is wrong, and what they said is not true..
The idea was supposed to be - upgrade app and firmware, the next flight has to have internet available, the system will ask you to login to your go account again and validate.

I believe you are correct. I did the updates just before leaving for Alaska (and yet another remote island) but did a quick function test before packing everything up....got the login request, logged in and them shut it all down and packed it up. Got to Dutch Harbor and have been flying just fine. Firmware seems to have fixed the Nvidia Sheild K1 video shutdown issue and life is grand.
2017-7-14
Use props
JAMES FOWLER
New
Canada

on a shoot with this much at stake, a back up drone should have been available. No shade. Just good advice for any professional.
2017-7-17
Use props
fansbdb90588
New
Greenland

When did you need internet to fly?- just turn on your bluetooth and wifi (without wifi), or this just a phantom problem?
2017-7-17
Use props
LotusFan
lvl.1
Flight distance : 48783 ft
United States

I live in a "Restricted Zone, unlock unavailable" area.   I went to the link:
http://www.dji.com/flysafe/geo-system/individual-unlock

And provided evidence that my house is not actually near the true "No Fly" zone, which is a trapezoidal area around an AFB.  The Geofencing system is very simplistic, using a centerpoint and a radius in km's.
I showed a picture of the actual NFZ and now I have a 3 month pass downloaded onto my craft.   Funny thing though, you can only have 1 area selected at a time, it does not automatically detect that you are in a zone which you unlocked in advance.  You will need the DJI GO app to select the appropriate area, or you will not go flying.  I think they did this so they could have a small, finite list of coordinates and radius that would easily fit on the craft and mate with the GPS signal.   To actually record the exact no fly zones would take too much storage, perhaps?

The actual, accurately shaped  no fly zones are found here:
https://faa.maps.arcgis.com/apps ... 8e19806ebf6a06754ad

Hope this helps someone else caught in a red bubble!
2017-7-20
Use props
fans137b6702
New
Australia

There is an Elephant in the room here.
2017-7-22
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules