Controller Fit & Finish - Am I Being Overly Critical?
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
LeafPeeper
lvl.4
Flight distance : 450075 ft
  • >>>
United States

Folks,
    I've had my Mavic for a week now, and so far am totally thrilled...been flying and buying accessories like crazy.  I got one that flys great, with crisp, clear videos.  I have yet to see any focus issues.  Net - I'm happy with the bird.   That said, I am a bit OCD, and the fit and finish on the contoller bugs me.   The left phone clamp doesn't close all the way.  Both clamps fit flush on the underside of the controller, but the left side sticks out on the top.    Do any of yours have this issue, and if not, is it something you'd complain about to DJI?   I could return the whole thing (I'm still within my Amazon return window), but as I said, I'm happy with the AC and I'd rather not over something silly...but OCD is hard to fight with an expensive item....

That said, if others see this too, then I'll be able to ignore it for fear of getting another like it or worse...
Thanks,
LP

Left Clamp Doesn't Close Completely

2017-7-8
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

It looks almost like you could push that back in, but probably not, it's a bit unusual dji products usually fit very well and detail is very good.
You could send it back, but might be waiting if you bought direct from dji, at least two weeks but 1 month wouldn't be unusual. If you purchased locally see if you can exchange there.

My thinking if as you say your a bit OCD then it will never be right for you, your entitled to better finish on controller, so change it.
2017-7-8
Use props
Ray_Dunakin
Second Officer
United States

Ignore it. It has no effect on how the thing works or handles.
2017-7-8
Use props
LeafPeeper
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

LOL..thanks guys.   I was kinda hoping that other folks would say 'mine looks like that too'.   I did purchase it from Amazon, so an exchange wouldn't be a problem, but it would mean sending the AC back too, which I don't really want to risk since I like the one I have.   I may just take Ray's approach.   I'm going to send a note to DJI directly to see if they might be willing to exchange the controller under warranty.

LP
2017-7-8
Use props
BengalBoy
Second Officer
Flight distance : 11134446 ft
  • >>>
United States

Just to be sure you know, there is a tiny little slot behind that controller where the "connector" plug, i.e. "mini-usb, usb-c, etc." connector slips into the body of the RC.  If your connector is slid all the way down, it prevents the device frame handle from fitting "flush" with the body of the RC when folded.  Make sure that isn't your problem?
2017-7-8
Use props
LeafPeeper
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Yes - thank you.   When I first got the Mavic, I wondered if that was it.  However, I now have the connector completely removed because I use a tablet/phone mount and the bottom USB port.  From what I can tell, the left clamp is actually rotated ever so slightly away from the body at the top, and toward the body at the bottom of the controller.   In other words, looking at the underside of the controller, I have the opposite situation - the left wing is actually more flush with the body than the right wing.    Still, nothing functionally wrong.   Purely a problem with my OCD after paying $1000 for a 'toy'.  First world problems....hehe.

LP
2017-7-8
Use props
EdM
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1491814 ft
  • >>>
United States

I would never return it for such a minor problem if as you said in the first post everything else works fine.  The next one might have functional problems, not cosmetic.
2017-7-9
Use props
LeafPeeper
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Thanks Ed.   That's actually where I am now.   I'm getting over it.   I also did a Google image search for the Mavic RC and quite a few pics come up that show similar uneven clamp closure....so I'm pretty convinced that there's a good chance that returning it would result in one with a similar issue.    Based on the fly-away threads I've been reading, I'm now starting to think my time would be better spent on getting a GPS tracker!   Even though I take all the preflight steps, I'm scared to fly this thing now given that DJI Care Refresh apparently doesn't cover flyaways (which I didn't know when I bought it).

LP
2017-7-9
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules