Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Aircraft totally unstable and aggressive after recent firmware up...
118134 1921 2017-7-8
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Aardvark
Captain
Flight distance : 384432 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Pareja IV Posted at 2017-7-10 02:34
I have taken my sedative pills before posting what I have found after the update, sorry if my post looks like agressive or unstable, can be a redaction problem, my English is not good

"sorry if my post looks like agressive or unstable"

Apologies, my comment was not aimed at anyone specifically, just my sense of humour
2017-7-10
Use props
Pareja IV
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1084961 ft
Spain

Aardvark Posted at 2017-7-10 11:02
"sorry if my post looks like agressive or unstable"

Apologies, my comment was not aimed at anyone specifically, just my sense of humour

I do not take any pills
But I do not know how my posts look like to english spoken people because of the writing style (I use google translator)
2017-7-10
Use props
fans90b2bb2d
lvl.4
Flight distance : 599449 ft
United States

I just tried refreshing my update using dji assistant, and doing an IMU recalibration. It took longer than before when flat on it's landing gear...so I thought it might work!  I took it outside all happy...and it looked like it had a rock solid hover. I went side to side a bit, and it seemed okay. I drive forward to see if it might buck...and it sadley did. Just as badly as before. It must have only been solid when moving slow because there was NO wind at all.  What the heck?  It's like the update made the drone hyper sensitive. Like they cranked up the PID gain coefficients accidently.  But evidently it only effects some users?
2017-7-10
Use props
Punchbuggy
Captain
Flight distance : 483166 ft
  • >>>
Australia

fans90b2bb2d Posted at 2017-7-10 16:02
I just tried refreshing my update using dji assistant, and doing an IMU recalibration. It took longer than before when flat on it's landing gear...so I thought it might work!  I took it outside all happy...and it looked like it had a rock solid hover. I went side to side a bit, and it seemed okay. I drive forward to see if it might buck...and it sadley did. Just as badly as before. It must have only been solid when moving slow because there was NO wind at all.  What the heck?  It's like the update made the drone hyper sensitive. Like they cranked up the PID gain coefficients accidently.  But evidently it only effects some users?

IMHO you did the right thing to seek to resolve this. If I had to put money on it, I'd say that it's the new extended IMU calibration process. We now need to perform the drone 'dance' on more angles, and I'm wondering if one of the determined parameters isn't being retained appropriately for some reason. That may be why some are seeing this but some aren't.

I've redone the calibration process myself, taking care to do it on straight angles and Exactly as the images on the app show (there's a possibility of doing one of them back-to-front). I've yet to test this out, as I'm having issues now with Assistant 2 and VPS calibration, although I've started the motors up without props and had them running for a while without any sudden surges evident while sitting stable.
2017-7-10
Use props
Slipstrm111
lvl.1
Flight distance : 5256 ft
United States

That pretty much sums up the situation with my own drone as detailed in the actual firmware update thread.
I successfully updated the RC with the DJi Go4 app, then the drone using the latest DJI Assistant. I then updated each battery using DJI Assistant.
I have calibrated the IMU, compass and VPS and all are OK according to the DJI Go4 app.

When moving forward or backward, though, the drone became extremely unstable, tilting violently backwards and forwards. I could hear the motors rapidly changing speed in a very aggressive manner.

It occurs at any time when moving forward and, to a lesser extent when hovering with even the slightest of breezes. At times, it tilts violently backwards and forwards at an angle which must be approaching 45 degrees, even without making any changes to the RC controls.

I have flown this P4 for hundreds of flights so I'm very familiar with what is normal.
The violent wobbling after this latest firmware update makes it virtually unusable.
2017-7-10
Use props
Vincent D
Second Officer
Flight distance : 622841 ft
United States

Mine is fine. Firmware did make controls more sensitive but I like it. In fact love everything about this latest release.
2017-7-10
Use props
JockC
First Officer
Flight distance : 459416 ft
Australia

Punchbuggy Posted at 2017-7-10 16:24
IMHO you did the right thing to seek to resolve this. If I had to put money on it, I'd say that it's the new extended IMU calibration process. We now need to perform the drone 'dance' on more angles, and I'm wondering if one of the determined parameters isn't being retained appropriately for some reason. That may be why some are seeing this but some aren't.

I've redone the calibration process myself, taking care to do it on straight angles and Exactly as the images on the app show (there's a possibility of doing one of them back-to-front). I've yet to test this out, as I'm having issues now with Assistant 2 and VPS calibration, although I've started the motors up without props and had them running for a while without any sudden surges evident while sitting stable.

Punchbuggy " If I had to put money on it, I'd say that it's the new extended IMU calibration process."

Me too.
The thing that puzzles me is why this didn't appear in the various betas that were made available.
Is this one of those last minute additions that the developers introduced after the betas because "it couldn't possibly have any negative impacts" ?
2017-7-10
Use props
Punchbuggy
Captain
Flight distance : 483166 ft
  • >>>
Australia

JockC Posted at 2017-7-10 18:09
Punchbuggy " If I had to put money on it, I'd say that it's the new extended IMU calibration process."

Me too.

Hey, Jock. There was only one beta made available since November 2016 - v2.00.0012. What was released 8 months later was V2.00.0106. Depending on DJI's versioning regime, that suggests 94 incremental code changes since the beta. Bugs, tweaks, new features, whatever.

I recall reading that the hardware components within the P4P for logic, video, etc are updated from the P4. It's possible that the codebase for this P4 firmware release was based on changes to the P4P stream, and perhaps DJI failed to 'dumb' some settings down when porting them back?
2017-7-10
Use props
PrWanderson San
lvl.3
Flight distance : 80997 ft
United States

Yesterday Was a very sad day for me! I Was trying to flying the aircraft for the first time after the firmware update. After The app said ready to fly I hit the button “take off” instead The aircraft hoover he shoots like a rocket up in the air and star to spinning I was try to gain the control but I cant and I was afraid he will head towards a dangerous environment, so I executed a combination stick command (CSC) To sutt-off the aircraft and I was able to recover the aircraft.
2017-7-10
Use props
PrWanderson San
lvl.3
Flight distance : 80997 ft
United States

PrWanderson San Posted at 2017-7-10 18:45
Yesterday Was a very sad day for me! I Was trying to flying the aircraft for the first time after the firmware update. After The app said ready to fly I hit the button “take off” instead The aircraft hoover he shoots like a rocket up in the air and star to spinning I was try to gain the control but I cant and I was afraid he will head towards a dangerous environment, so I executed a combination stick command (CSC) To sutt-off the aircraft and I was able to recover the aircraft.

Forgot to mention I crash my drone
2017-7-10
Use props
wangrincreation
First Officer
Flight distance : 984436 ft
Canada

http://www.zdnet.com/article/dji ... utm_source=facebook

"Unauthorized modification of a DJI drone is not recommended, as it can cause unstable flight behavior that could make operating the drone unsafe," Victor Wang, DJI's technology security director

....we are not hackers, but the firmware is causing unstable flight behavior...
2017-7-10
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Mabou2 Posted at 2017-7-8 11:32
https://vimeo.com/224777057
Although the problem I am seeing is more subtle than what Moshe is seeing, it is still brand new to this update.  The drone "bucks" once in a while. Here is a 60 second video which shows the problem with the bucking of the P4 after successfully completing all update, IMU and Compass calibrations, etc.  

Thank you very much for the details, would you please export the flight log which showing the situation you described so we can get it analyzed by engineers?
Please connect the drone to PC with USB cable, run Assistant 2, click on "Upload Data", choose the correct logs then save it to local, upload the file to Dropbox and post the link here.
2017-7-10
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator

fans22a232c7 Posted at 2017-7-8 12:32
Mine too, shakey and it wont go over 90 feet now. Was working fine before upgrade.

Just to verify, you have installed the latest dji go 4, login your DJI account and never log it out, but it cannot  go over 90 feet?
Any errors popping up on the screen?
For the shaking issue, would you please export the flight data via assistant 2?
Connect your drone to PC and run assistant 2, click on "Upload Data", choose the correct logs which showing the shaking, then upload it to Dropbox and post the link here, thanks.
2017-7-10
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator

wangrincreation Posted at 2017-7-9 14:10
After the upgrade I got ESC error but after reboot the error went away

If the error never appears again, then there is no need to worry about that, please keep an eye on the APP  to ensure the safety  as well during the flight.
2017-7-10
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator

Hi All, thank you very much for your feedback, we care much about what you've reported.
To locate where the problem exists, we need flight log for further analysis, please kindly help us export the logs which showing the issue you mentioned, we'll forward it to engineers.
You can connect the aircraft to a PC with Assistant 2 installed, run it then click on "Upload Data", then choose the correct logs, save it to local.
Then upload it to Dropbox and post the link here, thank you very much!
2017-7-10
Use props
Moshe.mmm
First Officer
Flight distance : 1320098 ft
  • >>>
Israel

DJI Natalia Posted at 2017-7-10 22:48
Hi All, thank you very much for your feedback, we care much about what you've reported.
To locate where the problem exists, we need flight log for further analysis, please kindly help us export the logs which showing the issue you mentioned, we'll forward it to engineers.
You can connect the aircraft to a PC with Assistant 2 installed, run it then click on "Upload Data", then choose the correct logs, save it to local.

Hi Natalia,
Thank you for your response.

Can you please elaborate how come some drones affected negatively from the firmware update up to not being safe to fly in a manner of public safety, and some drones pass the fw update very well and gets much more improved?

What will help you the most to find the cure for this issue asap?
If you'll receive as many as possible logs will it faster the fixing process?
Thank you.
Moshe.
2017-7-10
Use props
fanse6d23c78
lvl.1
Flight distance : 585745 ft
United States

Hi Natalia,

I am also experiencing erratic flights since the firmware upgrade. Flight is not smooth when accelerating in a straight line. It is twitchy and unstable.

I use this aircraft for work and it now unusable. I have had to cancel work because I can't use the aircraft since new firmware update.

flight log attached.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/80s5tb ... 1_08-48-31.DAT?dl=0

I'm looking forward to a solution as soon as possible so that I can return to work!

Thanks,

peter
2017-7-10
Use props
Pareja IV
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1084961 ft
Spain

Aardvark Posted at 2017-7-8 13:37
My only glitch today in about one hour of flight time was a Gimbal that flipped over to one side (corner of landing gear seen) followed by a 3 second loss of video feed. That was my only negative point in all three flights (3 batteries).

I've had the same problem twice in 5 flights. When this happens camera stops recording.
2017-7-11
Use props
wangrincreation
First Officer
Flight distance : 984436 ft
Canada

Merci Natalia
Here is a link for some log for your further analysis. Hope you'll come with a fix. If you need more, let me know and I can do test flight.
Ty
Log for new P4 firmware
2017-7-11
Use props
Jan Jensen
lvl.4
Denmark

If you are not really interested in riding with technology and the like. I would say that Dji is broken after all that update.

The other day I spent 3 hours due to problems with updating the controller.

Just to find out that the update is not 100% in order.
Once i loved my dji because it just worked .. sad enough

And after the latest updates, I now get a warning every time I just have to test a flight in the garden because I'm about 4 km from an airport ... what happens if I get up here? ?? Does it fly away or automatically land it again?
2017-7-11
Use props
StephenGSY
lvl.4
Flight distance : 814232 ft
Guernsey

Ive not had erratic behaviour. However I had an error yesterday when flying telling me my return to home would pass through an NFZ zone. I seriously hope not because its miles away from takeoff and drone was only 100m away. In App home pint didn't move and was in correct place. P4 didn't loose GPS. And on App no nfs can be seen in the direct near vicinity of my flight. Never had this before. I also own a Mavic Pro and don't get this error in same flight spot.
2017-7-11
Use props
Nigel_
Captain
Flight distance : 388642 ft
United Kingdom

Jan Jensen Posted at 2017-7-11 00:57
If you are not really interested in riding with technology and the like. I would say that Dji is broken after all that update.

The other day I spent 3 hours due to problems with updating the controller.

At 4Km it will just be a warning message to let you know that you are near an airport, just make sure that you stick to the rules, eg don't go above 400ft.

It will only automatically land if you try to fly over the runway, red area on the map, green area is just be careful.
2017-7-11
Use props
Jan Jensen
lvl.4
Denmark

Nigel_ Posted at 2017-7-11 01:42
At 4Km it will just be a warning message to let you know that you are near an airport, just make sure that you stick to the rules, eg don't go above 400ft.

It will only automatically land if you try to fly over the runway, red area on the map, green area is just be careful.

okay thanks. BUT When I would accept the geo settings. Then I would have to make a credit card or phone number ... How do you get it installed ??
I do not know where
2017-7-11
Use props
Saaber
lvl.1
Flight distance : 26680 ft

Singapore

The braking is way way too harsh. DJI please do something.
2017-7-11
Use props
Aardvark
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Pareja IV Posted at 2017-7-11 00:10
I've had the same problem twice in 5 flights. When this happens camera stops recording.

I think my situation was the same. The camera had stopped recording but I'm not 100% sure whether system, or me, had caused that. I was more interested in keeping aircraft in sight when video feed blanked out. I've also completed about another half hours test hovering at home and have seen no problems like that. When my gimbal flipped on that flight the wind could well have been moderate ( perhaps 20-25 mph), maybe aided by a yaw perhaps. That was my first and only instance in about seven flights.
2017-7-11
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator

Moshe.mmm Posted at 2017-7-10 23:47
Hi Natalia,
Thank you for your response.

Moshe, the logs are very helpful for us to locate the problem.
I have forwarded the logs provided to engineers, will analyze it soon and come back to you for an update.
2017-7-11
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator

wangrincreation Posted at 2017-7-11 00:46
Merci Natalia
Here is a link for some log for your further analysis. Hope you'll come with a fix. If you need more, let me know and I can do test flight.
Ty

Appreciate it, I forwarded it to engineers for analysis.
2017-7-11
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator

fanse6d23c78 Posted at 2017-7-10 23:50
Hi Natalia,

I am also experiencing erratic flights since the firmware upgrade. Flight is not smooth when accelerating in a straight line. It is twitchy and unstable.

Thank you very much for the info, I have reported it to engineers for analysis soon.
2017-7-11
Use props
Nigel_
Captain
United Kingdom

Jan Jensen Posted at 2017-7-11 01:43
okay thanks. BUT When I would accept the geo settings. Then I would have to make a credit card or phone number ... How do you get it installed ??
I do not know where

Do you need a credit card for the green area on the map?   For a green area I check that I am allowed to fly there, then just tick the boxes and press OK...   For a red area I don't want to fly!
2017-7-11
Use props
Aardvark
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Nigel_ Posted at 2017-7-11 03:24
Do you need a credit card for the green area on the map?   For a green area I check that I am allowed to fly there, then just tick the boxes and press OK...   For a red area I don't want to fly!

I use the official CAA NATS App' for guidance, and it's notifications are quite specific, and very good. Generally recommending that if flying in class D airspace then perhaps it should be avoided, BUT if you do fly,  then fly with caution and observe drone code. Notifications of course vary, so I need to check for each area I fly in. Common sense all round I believe.
2017-7-11
Use props
Nigel_
Captain
United Kingdom

Aardvark Posted at 2017-7-11 03:44
I use the official CAA NATS App' for guidance, and it's notifications are quite specific, and very good. Generally recommending that if flying in class D airspace then perhaps it should be avoided, BUT if you do fly,  then fly with caution and observe drone code. Notifications of course vary, so I need to check for each area I fly in. Common sense all round I believe.

Yes, yesterday I got within 500m of a green area, looked just like any other green area on DJI's map, but flying according to the Drone Code would not have been acceptable - it was a military training area and needed a check for red flags to see if it was in use, or a check of the published timetable.   When not in use it is fine to fly, when in use definitely you don't want to fly - you may meet a well armed helicopter flying at 50ft, or even on the ground beneath you.

You "CAA NATS App" probably wouldn't give you that information though, sometimes it is hard to find out what the rules are...
2017-7-11
Use props
JockC
First Officer
Flight distance : 459416 ft
Australia

DJI Natalia Posted at 2017-7-11 03:21
Appreciate it, I forwarded it to engineers for analysis.

Natalia, Thank you for your concern. I'm hoping  they can fix it quickly. In the meantime can DJI please advise a method by which we can reinstall the previous version of firmware (drone, RC and batteries) so that we can continue to use our drones?
2017-7-11
Use props
JMR58
Captain
Flight distance : 627966 ft
  • >>>
Belgium

After firmware update and calibrations i tested the p4 with caution. My impressions, first inside the house with Obstacle Avoidance off! There was no wobbling during hovering and slow flight.
Outside in windy conditions and OA off, no specific wobbling during hover(some corrections for wind), during flight(OA off) no wobbling at all, smooth flight pattern, stick input correct not aggressive.
There was aggressive behavior with the OA turned on and the P4 sensed an obstacle, also the climbing was very rude.
During hovering with GPS and OA on i could remark the corrections but i think they were linked with the wind.
I did at least 7 IMU calibrations but the"IMU Error Calibrate" message shows up almost every time i start the P4 up..
2017-7-11
Use props
Aardvark
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Nigel_ Posted at 2017-7-11 04:05
Yes, yesterday I got within 500m of a green area, looked just like any other green area on DJI's map, but flying according to the Drone Code would not have been acceptable - it was a military training area and needed a check for red flags to see if it was in use, or a check of the published timetable.   When not in use it is fine to fly, when in use definitely you don't want to fly - you may meet a well armed helicopter flying at 50ft, or even on the ground beneath you.

You "CAA NATS App" probably wouldn't give you that information though, sometimes it is hard to find out what the rules are...

"You "CAA NATS App" probably wouldn't give you that information though, sometimes it is hard to find out what the rules are..."

Local knowledge comes first. But it's very good. For example note of temporary air restriction in 5 days and 19 hours from now for Fairford Air Tatoo .
2017-7-11
Use props
Nigel_
Captain
United Kingdom

JMR58 Posted at 2017-7-11 04:17
After firmware update and calibrations i tested the p4 with caution. My impressions, first inside the house with Obstacle Avoidance off! There was no wobbling during hovering and slow flight.
Outside in windy conditions and OA off, no specific wobbling during hover(some corrections for wind), during flight(OA off) no wobbling at all, smooth flight pattern, stick input correct not aggressive.
There was aggressive behavior with the OA turned on and the P4 sensed an obstacle, also the climbing was very rude.

Try doing the IMU calibration when it is cold.  (As soon as it is turned on first thing in the morning.)
2017-7-11
Use props
JMR58
Captain
Flight distance : 627966 ft
  • >>>
Belgium

Nigel_ Posted at 2017-7-11 04:57
Try doing the IMU calibration when it is cold.  (As soon as it is turned on first thing in the morning.)

I will try this, thanks!
2017-7-11
Use props
Cian McLiam
lvl.4
Flight distance : 366496 ft
Ireland

M109 Posted at 2017-7-9 13:48
I have emailed DJI Technical Support so hopefully someone is on to it by now.

Did anyone get a reply from the DJI support email?
2017-7-11
Use props
fansa84fe8a4
First Officer
Flight distance : 3 ft
United States

Took mine out today fearing the worse and it was very stable.  Even the horizon seemed to be level on yawing 360 degrees, and altitude hold seemed better too.

I did have to do several battery firmware updates.   Did another IMU, VPS, compass, and auto-gimbal calibration as well as the sticks on the RC.

Then decided to uninstall GO 4.1.3 and reinstalled it in the iPad.  Odd was some sensitivity settings I used prior were still in it so the bird must retain some user settings inside it even with a new install of GO.  No need to log in either as it had my name too (??).  Flew beyond 350 feet to see if restricted geo-fence was off in the new firmware and GO and it was.  

Tried it in Autopilot as well.  It flew well there too, although once Autopilot "Disengaged" at the end of the test run I had to manually throw it out of P-mode and back into P-mode for GO to take it over again on re-starting GO 4.1.3.

Landing, I held it at eye-level for a bit to see if it bounced around any and it was rock-steady so I landed it and it did that fine as well.  No hopping.

2017-7-11
Use props
Aardvark
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

fansa84fe8a4 Posted at 2017-7-11 07:21
Took mine out today fearing the worse and it was very stable.  Even the horizon seemed to be level on yawing 360 degrees, and altitude hold seemed better too.

I did have to do several battery firmware updates.   Did another IMU, VPS, compass, and auto-gimbal calibration as well as the sticks on the RC.

The aircraft will hold some settings RTH point, RTH altitude as examples, which it needs if it loses contact with the controller. These values (along with firmware build etc) are passed to DJI Go 4 when it initialises.
2017-7-11
Use props
southbeachflyer
New

United States

Aardvark Posted at 2017-7-11 07:40
The aircraft will hold some settings RTH point, RTH altitude as examples, which it needs if it loses contact with the controller. These values (along with firmware build etc) are passed to DJI Go 4 when it initialises.

Brand new P3Pro owner here.  Haven't taken mine out to fly yet, but I did upgrade to the latest firmware on both the controller and the aircraft.  Afterword, I had to relink the two, but the connection seems to have worked.
2017-7-11
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules