Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Shaking gimbal when horizontal, all ok when lower down
2313 11 2017-7-9
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
rnrnrn
Second Officer
Flight distance : 430932 ft
Germany

Dear All,

I've been flying happily since the end of last year and all was well with all systems until recently. This started with the .0700 update and continued on with next updates. I was thinking this could be solved via software but now I'm not so sure.

The problem is: the gimbal is shaking a lot when at 0 degrees to the horizon. When tilted down around 5 degrees it holds well with all movements.

If you take a moment to look at the video below this is the breakdown of what you will find:

00:05 - gimbal shakes when starting forward motion
00:17 - small shakes when turning and flying - this continues00:28 - serious shaking occurs and keeps happening
00:45 - tilting the gimbal down - around 5-10 degrees roughly
rest of the movie follows without any shaking

As can be seen the final movements of the drone are rather quick but the gimbal behaves well. I've replicated this several times already and it does happen only close to 0 degree tilt, further down it's perfectly ok.

Just to answer any questions - I've reapplied the firmware via Assistant, calibrated the IMU, the gimbal, the compass - all several times - still the same. I have not had any crashes or hard landings at all (I've learned my lesson with previous drones).

Any help and/or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Jakub

2017-7-9
Use props
rnrnrn
Second Officer
Germany

Oh well - don't like to do this but... bumping the thread, maybe someone will notice ;-)
2017-7-9
Use props
PHL
Captain
Flight distance : 1044062 ft
Australia

Is gimbal Pan Follow on? Might be reaching it's limit, then skipping back. I personally have it turned off. But yours does shake a lot; was it very windy up there?
2017-7-9
Use props
Jenee 2
Captain
Flight distance : 7852129 ft
Australia

This is quite a difficult one and I have seen this sort of jello type shake before but not at certain angles like your is.
I would definitely contact support and give them the link to the video as it may need to be replaced.
2017-7-9
Use props
rnrnrn
Second Officer
Germany

PHL Posted at 2017-7-9 23:44
Is gimbal Pan Follow on? Might be reaching it's limit, then skipping back. I personally have it turned off. But yours does shake a lot; was it very windy up there?

I tried with both pan on and off - no difference. I do not recall which setting was on in this case but it doesn't make any difference. It wasn't windy, it was almost calm. Hence the question - otherwise I'd put it down on the wind - in this case this doesn't make any sense. Oh well... thank you for answering ;-)
2017-7-10
Use props
rnrnrn
Second Officer
Germany

Jenee 2 Posted at 2017-7-9 23:47
This is quite a difficult one and I have seen this sort of jello type shake before but not at certain angles like your is.
I would definitely contact support and give them the link to the video as it may need to be replaced.

Thanks for answering - I'll try to get in touch with DJI people here - maybe someone will have an idea (although I doubt it - most likely will need to send the unit in to get a replacement - which will take a lot of time... I'm tempted to wait till autumn ;-). Cheers!
2017-7-10
Use props
Tripp
First Officer
Flight distance : 2241401 ft
United States

Has your AC been in an accident?  Mine jiggled like crazy after a crash, so I had to send it in for repair.
2017-7-10
Use props
rnrnrn
Second Officer
Germany

Tripp Posted at 2017-7-10 13:21
Has your AC been in an accident?  Mine jiggled like crazy after a crash, so I had to send it in for repair.

Nope - no crash. And I did check the mounting of the gimbal - all good as per specs. That's the thing - only jiggles when at zero degrees to the horizon, otherwise rock solid. :/
2017-7-11
Use props
Tripp
First Officer
Flight distance : 2241401 ft
United States

rnrnrn Posted at 2017-7-11 01:52
Nope - no crash. And I did check the mounting of the gimbal - all good as per specs. That's the thing - only jiggles when at zero degrees to the horizon, otherwise rock solid. :/

DJI should fix it then, it shouldn't do that no matter what position the gimbal is in.
2017-7-11
Use props
rnrnrn
Second Officer
Germany

Tripp Posted at 2017-7-11 05:52
DJI should fix it then, it shouldn't do that no matter what position the gimbal is in.

That's the thing - I don't think they can. Hardware problem is practically out of the question - therefore software. I will have to do a refresh of all software again and see. But it is annoying as hell. And sending the drone for service in the beginning of July is also senseless :/
2017-7-11
Use props
RCNJ
Second Officer
Flight distance : 114665 ft
France

have you checked that the gimble is seated properly under the front and the back piece ? i've seen if this is out it can cause vibration that impacts the gimble, also when you turned your horizon went off level so i would check the gimble compartment and make sure all looks good and its seated properly.
it also looks like you have the gimble cover on as some glare on the lense.., is the clamp off ;)
2017-7-11
Use props
rnrnrn
Second Officer
Germany

RCNJ Posted at 2017-7-11 08:29
have you checked that the gimble is seated properly under the front and the back piece ? i've seen if this is out it can cause vibration that impacts the gimble, also when you turned your horizon went off level so i would check the gimble compartment and make sure all looks good and its seated properly.
it also looks like you have the gimble cover on as some glare on the lense.., is the clamp off ;)

I've checked all around the gimble and all is seated properly. No damage - and there couldn't be any physical really (no crashes, no hard landings etc). The cover if off but there was a PolarPro ND/UV filter on - I've tried without the filter with just the same results (this time with filter due to strong sunlight).

Either way I find it a bit absurd - especially the strong shakes when flying slowly horizontal with the camera level with the horizon - if this happened at any angle I would assume hardware defect - in this case it looks only like software defect - the gimbal tries to correct itself without any reason to do so.
2017-7-12
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules