1824 9 2017-7-9
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Any reports of using crystalsky with Mavic, positive negative, or just your experience.
2017-7-9
Use props
Bekaru Tree
First Officer
Flight distance : 15513100 ft
South Africa

all i have seen commented so far is that it is too fat to fit into the mavic rc holder - for me a crucial issue until a holder adapter is available
2017-7-9
Use props
StianGel
lvl.4
Flight distance : 686654 ft
Norway

I have the 5.5" version of the Crystalsky. It will actually fit between the holders on the controller, but it is not secure at all.
As of right now i have velcroed it on top of the holders. Saw a photo of that in another thread here.
I will be making a more permanent holder soon.

It works great with the Mavic, but i have only flown 4 batterys so far. The Crystalsky battery seemes to last a very long time.
When i first got it i had to connect it using a micro-USB cable on the side of the Crystalsky to the bottom USB port on the controller. After that i could use the USB-C port on the bottom of the Crystalsky.
After i had updated to the latest firmware on the Crystalsky the image was very choppy, but a simple reboot fixed that.
Also had some problems with the offline maps. A reset fixed that. It is a brand new product, so some minor issues is to be expected.

Another reason i bought it is to be able to dump SD cards to it. I have a 128GB memorystick plugged in. I can then take the card from the Mavic, put it in the Crystalsky and dump the footage while i drive home, or to a new location.
I have only briefly tested the HDMI output to my TV. It mirrors the screen with zero lag, i have not tested while using the Go4 app.

So if you are like me and don't want anything apple, i would reccomend the Crystalsky 5.5" for the Mavic.
On the negative side, you need a separate charger for the Crystalsky. I bought a Phantom 3 charger. (It was the cheapest i could find locally)
I would also love if it was possible to charge it using a USB powerbank. I still have not seen the price for extra batteries.
2017-7-9
Use props
Tviscomi
Second Officer
Flight distance : 106886 ft
  • >>>
United States

Bekaru Tree Posted at 2017-7-9 03:16
all i have seen commented so far is that it is too fat to fit into the mavic rc holder - for me a crucial issue until a holder adapter is available

Unfortunately some of the adapters that I've seen are twice as big as the Mavic RC, which kinda negates portability.  I'm leaning towards the 7.8" because anything less would be a step down.  I say that because I'm currently flying with an iPad Mini.
2017-7-9
Use props
rreindl
Second Officer
Flight distance : 6491926 ft
United States

StianGel Posted at 2017-7-9 03:33
I have the 5.5" version of the Crystalsky. It will actually fit between the holders on the controller, but it is not secure at all.
As of right now i have velcroed it on top of the holders. Saw a photo of that in another thread here.
I will be making a more permanent holder soon.

How is the display is direct sunlight?
2017-7-9
Use props
StianGel
lvl.4
Flight distance : 686654 ft
Norway

rreindl Posted at 2017-7-9 03:49
How is the display is direct sunlight?

I have been unable to test this as the current weather is crap. The flights i have done have been in the evening when the wind had died down.
It is currently raining...
2017-7-9
Use props
fans0632ceac
lvl.1
Flight distance : 50568 ft
United States

I purchased the 5.5 and used it for two days with my Mavic. As of today the backlight is toast. I use it with my Osmo as well, and it suffers from the same problems that you find on any Android device when you have both DJI GO and DJI Go 4 apps installed. It is a complete pain in the ass to use without the holder and I have just set it down on a table to use it. All that being said, I love it. You can watch you videos instantly. Its very useable in direct sunlight. It doesn't overheat and shut down like a phone will. The battery live is off the chart. I can go through all three of my Mavic batteries recording the entire time, then watch all the footage, and still have 80 percent of the battery life left. In the end the cost of the unit ITSELF, or with the Crystalsky mount, is still a few hundred dollars less than buying a phone or tablet outright and will outperform both in battery life and visibility.
2017-7-9
Use props
Forestjim
lvl.4
Flight distance : 6606519 ft
  • >>>
Australia

fans0632ceac Posted at 2017-7-9 10:44
I purchased the 5.5 and used it for two days with my Mavic. As of today the backlight is toast. I use it with my Osmo as well, and it suffers from the same problems that you find on any Android device when you have both DJI GO and DJI Go 4 apps installed. It is a complete pain in the ass to use without the holder and I have just set it down on a table to use it. All that being said, I love it. You can watch you videos instantly. Its very useable in direct sunlight. It doesn't overheat and shut down like a phone will. The battery live is off the chart. I can go through all three of my Mavic batteries recording the entire time, then watch all the footage, and still have 80 percent of the battery life left. In the end the cost of the unit ITSELF, or with the Crystalsky mount, is still a few hundred dollars less than buying a phone or tablet outright and will outperform both in battery life and visibility.

Hi,
Same thing happen to mine on Friday.
I only got to use it for one battery.
I rang DJI and they told me to send it back.
Then they emailed  me to say they can't find my serial number on file and take photos and copy of proof of purchase. I have done this but no response from DJI yet.
Is there a simple fix ?

I did notice also the maps were not loading.
It had Chinese symbols in the maps section.
Im in Australia
All heap would be great
Cheers
2017-7-16
Use props
Twirlip
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2461545 ft
United States

I got my 5.5" CrystalSky a couple of days ago, flew it for several flights, worked great.

I used the same Velcro solution that I've seen suggested elsewhere; it's a little kludgy-looking but works well enough.  Was nicely visible outdoors at noon on a partly-cloudy day.  Haven't tried it in full sunlight yet, but I can attest that it's a lot more visible than my phone was.  Also, the battery life's amazing, as other folks have pointed out.  (Though really annoying that they don't include a charger, and it won't work with the Mavic's charger.  Had to order an Inspire charger just to charge up the darn thing.)

I also had the issue with the Chinese maps and no visible streets.  The solution was apparently to do a reset and then set the time zone to my local time zone (I'm in the US), then it worked.  I did run into some issues after the reset-- the DJI GO 4 app kept insisting it had no network connection and I couldn't sign in, even though the Wi-Fi was definitely connected.  (I've seen some other folks on the forum reporting some similar issues.)  I just kept banging away at it randomly, i.e. more resets, trying different orders of "first set timezone THEN connect WiFi" or whatever, manually disconnecting/reconnecting WiFi.  After an hour of fussing and fuming and trying random variations of pretty much the same thing umpteen times, eventually it worked and then it's been fine since.  Got my local maps, no problem.
2017-7-17
Use props
fanse133e7e0
New
United States

A mount is on the market guys. Just found it today as I've been researching. Haven't purchased the Mavic yet. Check out Flyhighusa.com . Its about 100 or so more with the shipping. But its a set up for using CS with the Mavic. I'd rather use the larger screen as opposed to the 5.5 ...but I haven't read any reviews yet.
2017-7-18
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules