X5S video looks wobbling....?
2026 26 2017-7-9
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
JoePGM
lvl.3
Flight distance : 391293 ft
United Kingdom

Hey pilots, just took my I2 out for the first flight test yesterday. The video (H264, 29.97fps, stock DJI lens) looks kind of wobbling (or zigzag) at certain angle. Since this is a first test flight I didnt' set the camera in detail and left it full auto (the shutter speed is around 1/200-1/300). Thinking if it is caused by the high shutter speed or not.....

The effects are noticeable around the white building....

Thank you,

Joe
2017-7-9
Use props
Cougar1
lvl.4
Flight distance : 924393 ft
  • >>>
Canada

Think you are correct, shutter should be around @ 60 for this setting to get the motion blur most people wants in video.
2017-7-9
Use props
Mike-the-cat
lvl.4
Flight distance : 22488593 ft
  • >>>
Singapore

How fast were you flying and what was the wind like?
The Inspire 2 is a platform used by many professionals and this type of comment is literally unheard of.
2017-7-9
Use props
JoePGM
lvl.3
United Kingdom

I was flying in P mode at around 40km forward, not sure the wind at mid air but 1.2m/s at ground with my anemometer

There were some post mentioned the jello effects on X5S if you search on google

I'm wondering if I owned a defected X5S ......
2017-7-9
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

JoePGM Posted at 2017-7-9 22:33
I was flying in P mode at around 40km forward, not sure the wind at mid air but 1.2m/s at ground with my anemometer

There were some post mentioned the jello effects on X5S if you search on google

Hi, Joe, sorry for the late response, the jello effect is obvious and I have forwarded the video to engineer to locate the problem, I will come back to you very soon, thanks for your patience.
2017-7-26
Use props
JoePGM
lvl.3
United Kingdom

Thank you Mindy!
2017-7-26
Use props
Masemoto
lvl.4
Flight distance : 5137425 ft
  • >>>
United States

DJI Mindy Posted at 2017-7-26 05:07
Hi, Joe, sorry for the late response, the jello effect is obvious and I have forwarded the video to engineer to locate the problem, I will come back to you very soon, thanks for your patience.

Please post the response for all to read as there are several of us experiencing this issue. Thx.
2017-7-26
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

Hey, Joe. Sorry to have kept you waiting. Please send in the gimbal from the link below. We need it for further analysis. Sorry for the trouble caused.When you finish the online repair form, please leave me with your case number, I will follow up, thank you.
https://repair.dji.com/en/SelfRepair/Area
2017-7-27
Use props
jburkett
lvl.2

Hong Kong

Hi, Joe, from the video it seems there is something wrong with the gimbal , could you send the gimbal back to us for further analysis ? Thank you !
2017-7-27
Use props
JoePGM
lvl.3
United Kingdom

hey DJI, I will probably do a flight test this weekend and see if the issue persists, and will try to find out the setting that will trigger the jelly (some user say put the camera in full auto mode will trigger it)

willl let you and Mindy know once I have sent it out

thank you
2017-7-28
Use props
dldp-sp
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1065902 ft
  • >>>
United States

I never had this problem with the stock lens however, after buying the Olympus 45mm lens I started seeing this. The problem for me was a matter of balance. I was using the lens hood that came with the lens and a few rubber bands to balance it. I thought it was balanced good but started seeing the "jello effect". Once I bought the balance rings, the problem went away. Also, if you are using an ND filter, try taking it off and fly with the standard filter ring and see if that helps.

Regards,
Tom
2017-7-28
Use props
JoePGM
lvl.3
United Kingdom

Hi DJI, I will send in my X5S camera early next week. I have done some more test today and I could the jelly effects exists whatever i'm in manual mode or auto mode.

I have try shooting in shutter-priority at 1/60 sec (the ideal value of 30fps movie shooting), jelly effects exists. Then shooting in full auto, jelly effects also exists. The wind at mid air is pretty strong today (ground measurement just less than 1m/s) but mid-air wind seems strong tell from the FPV video.

First here are the gimble high pitch sound. I recall some owner also reports motor noise on the X5S but I 'm not sure if they are the same. Is this high pitch noise normal?

The noise is especially noticable at the following time:

1:22 - 1:25 during start up
2:53 - 4:00 tilt up/down
4:09 - 4:35 handheld stablize

Jelly effect test

2017-7-29
Use props
JoePGM
lvl.3
United Kingdom

hi DJI, can your engineering have a look to my latest test and gimble issue posted above?
2017-7-31
Use props
Masemoto
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

I too have the sounds that you recorded from the X5S, as well as the jello effect. Of all that I recorded yesterday it was only when I was flying in Sport mode that I got it. Will do more flying and watch for resolution on the forums before I send mine in.

Hard to see it in the little window. Maximize it at 1440 res and look a the trees.

2017-7-31
Use props
Masemoto
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Masemoto Posted at 2017-7-31 06:59
I too have the sounds that you recorded from the X5S, as well as the jello effect. Of all that I recorded yesterday it was only when I was flying in Sport mode that I got it. Will do more flying and watch for resolution on the forums before I send mine in.

Hard to see it in the little window. Maximize it at 1440 res and look a the trees.

Actually in comparing your wobbly and my wobbly () seems to me to be two different issues. Yours the it looks like the whole picture is shaky (or is that because of the crop?) and definitely a way off kilter horizon where as mine the camera is stable but only portions of the image recorded (also cropped) has a jello effect to it.  I don't know...
** Update ** Comparing it to your very first clip at the top of this thread, our issues are the same. Sorry, didn't mean to confuse things.
2017-7-31
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

JoePGM Posted at 2017-7-31 02:22
hi DJI, can your engineering have a look to my latest test and gimble issue posted above?

I have sent you PM, please check.
2017-8-1
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

Masemoto Posted at 2017-7-31 07:11
Actually in comparing your wobbly and my wobbly () seems to me to be two different issues. Yours the it looks like the whole picture is shaky (or is that because of the crop?) and definitely a way off kilter horizon where as mine the camera is stable but only portions of the image recorded (also cropped) has a jello effect to it.  I don't know...
** Update ** Comparing it to your very first clip at the top of this thread, our issues are the same. Sorry, didn't mean to confuse things.

Masemoto, what lens do you use? Did you update the firmware up to date?
Have you changed another propellers? Did you calibrate IMU and compass before flying?
If the issue occurs frequently, please keep us updated.
2017-8-1
Use props
Masemoto
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

DJI Mindy Posted at 2017-8-1 00:56
Masemoto, what lens do you use? Did you update the firmware up to date?
Have you changed another propellers? Did you calibrate IMU and compass before flying?
If the issue occurs frequently, please keep us updated.

Hi Mindy,

It is the DJI 15mm lens. All firmware is up to date.
Have not tried the second set of propellers yet.
I have calibrated the IMU once and compass with each new location since receiving the I2 a month ago.
I have 15 flights total.

This issue does not happen all the time. I notice it maybe in 1 in 10 clips that I take. I'll need to do more testing. Difficult to do because I can't see the jello at the time of flying on the iPad, only at home on a proper monitor after the fact. In the example video I posted above the I2 was in Sport mode and camera functions were on Auto. Will try those settings again to see if it can be consistently reproduced.
2017-8-1
Use props
JoePGM
lvl.3
United Kingdom

DJI Mindy Posted at 2017-7-27 04:25
Hey, Joe. Sorry to have kept you waiting. Please send in the gimbal from the link below. We need it for further analysis. Sorry for the trouble caused.When you finish the online repair form, please leave me with your case number, I will follow up, thank you.
https://repair.dji.com/en/SelfRepair/Area

Hi Mindy, I just filled up the online form, the case number is  CAS-853429-Q9N6W8

Thank you
2017-8-1
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

JoePGM Posted at 2017-8-1 12:29
Hi Mindy, I just filled up the online form, the case number is  CAS-853429-Q9N6W8

Thank you

Copy that, thank you.
2017-8-1
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

Masemoto Posted at 2017-8-1 07:16
Hi Mindy,

It is the DJI 15mm lens. All firmware is up to date.

Please test if this issue occurs every frequently.
Try to avoid flying at a place where winds were strong. The jello effect may occur in the video shot in a place where winds are strong.
Please note if this issue only occurs in Sports Mode.
2017-8-1
Use props
JoePGM
lvl.3
United Kingdom

Hi Mindy, I have sent out the camera in full set (exterior paper box, manual, black protective case, full camera and 15mm lense with hood and all caps) yesterday and should reach DJI europe on Monday.
2017-8-4
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

JoePGM Posted at 2017-8-4 01:23
Hi Mindy, I have sent out the camera in full set (exterior paper box, manual, black protective case, full camera and 15mm lense with hood and all caps) yesterday and should reach DJI europe on Monday.

No problem, local repair team will take good care of it, hope you will get it back soon.
2017-8-4
Use props
JoePGM
lvl.3
United Kingdom

Hi Mindy, I have PM you on 04Aug regarding the gimble, can you provide me more information? thanks
2017-8-5
Use props
qkzkfkzkwlsh1
New

Philippines

hahaha
Hi Mindy, I have PM you on 04Aug regarding the gimble, can you provide me more information? thanks
2017-8-7
Use props
JoePGM
lvl.3
United Kingdom

Hi Mindy and DJI

I just got my X5S back from DJI Europe. Thank you for the replacement.

Have a quick test on  the camera and seem no more the jelly effects. However the edge image have some ripple-shape distortion (not lens distortion).

Will give another detail test and post the results here.

Thank you
2017-8-15
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

JoePGM Posted at 2017-8-15 04:29
Hi Mindy and DJI

I just got my X5S back from DJI Europe. Thank you for the replacement.

Glad you get it back, waiting for your updating.
2017-8-15
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules