Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Calibrate before or rely on the App ?
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
RCNJ
Second Officer
Flight distance : 114665 ft
France

Ok can I just ask.....we are told that no need to calibrate compass before every flight, only when app tells us it is needed, if you power mavic on with legs still folded (e.g IMU calibration, you get compass issue please calibrate) .....but my question is.....would calibrating before each flight actually save some mavics from these interference issues and probably reduce the number of crashes or not ?

With all the bugs happening on the posts and people losing crafts due to bad compass or where they took off from, or app failing......should we be not relying on the app as much and be ensuring pre flight calibration is done before take off ? Roll that and a gimble that performs its own auto calibration whilst you are in flight we need to know this thing is safe, so rely on app or calibrate each time ?
2017-7-9
Use props
laceyboy
lvl.4
Flight distance : 159820 ft
United States

It's up to you. I never calibrate compass even I traveled to different places and I have no problem at all.
I only do when the app says so.
2017-7-9
Use props
DroneFlying
Captain
Flight distance : 10774613 ft
United States

Calibrating before each flight would almost certainly lead to more improper calibrations and more crashes, not to mention that once you have a good calibration there's no reason to do another.

if you power mavic on with legs still folded (e.g IMU calibration, you get compass issue please calibrate)

That's not quite what it says: it reads, "Move aircraft or calibrate compass." It doesn't mean that both (moving or calibrating) are valid options but that only one is probably valid and you're supposed to determine which one that is and act accordingly. In the scenario you mentioned neither one is really correct (you should just unfold the legs), but in most cases the first option (moving the aircraft) is the only necessary and correct action because some sort of geomagnetic distortion is present.
2017-7-9
Use props
RCNJ
Second Officer
Flight distance : 114665 ft
France

Legs are in for IMU, when they are in and mavic on and connected to controller it says compass issue please calibrate on screen, this is prior to starting IMU calibration..I haven't imagined it
For example, mavic off, gimble clamps off, legs in.....on a flat table, if I power on I get compass issue, if I power off and extend legs and switch back on I don't....wierd....
2017-7-9
Use props
DroneFlying
Captain
Flight distance : 10774613 ft
United States

RCNJ Posted at 2017-7-9 12:24
Legs are in for IMU, when they are in and mavic on and connected to controller it says compass issue please calibrate on screen, this is prior to starting IMU calibration..I haven't imagined it  
For example, mavic off, gimble clamps off, legs in.....on a flat table, if I power on I get compass issue, if I power off and extend legs and switch back on I don't....wierd....

it says compass issue please calibrate on screen

I checked this with my Mavic before I wrote that and the exact wording I saw was, "Move aircraft or calibrate compass". Again, it's telling you to move the aircraft or calibrate the compass, but it doesn't mean that both are appropriate options.
2017-7-9
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules