CrystalSky 5,5 and 7,85 first impressions
1130 2 2017-7-10
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
E-Copter
lvl.2

France

Good afternoon,

as part of DJI beta testing group on the new CrystalSky displays ( 5,5 and 7,85, 1000 nits), i wanted to share the first impressions while testing these new screens.

These are beta testings so some modifications might come up with time with new functions or others.

The very first test has been done in Live Broadasting conditions for the french "Vinci Highways" operator.

8 teams setup by Live Drone have been dispatched in France to broadcast live traffic video during the first day of grand vacations holidays. Setup was Inspire 2 with CS 7,85 + cS 5,5,feeding a BM Video Assist ( which we can soon remove of as soon as the SDI module  for cs will be available), then feeding SDI a Aviwest 4G broadcasting unit.
I was part of one of the team with Lionel Barbe in south of France.

I received the screens the day before the operation and just updated the firmwares, charged the batteries and the first day of use has been intensive for these units...

Temperature was 36° celsius, very sunny so it was perfect for testing.

Here are my first thoughts :

- Luminosity / screen surface : very good readibility, much higher than the BM video assist and Ipad ( all versions). We did not need a Hoodman cap as we use to need with Ipad and it's much more relaxing to fly with an unobstructed field of view ( and less painful for the neck )

- Resolution : well, picture is crisp and nice, colours seem to be matching pretty. I don't have the equipment for colour/ gamma /brightness testing but will find out to get this test done.

- Buttons on the right side are easy to access and press, and usefull ( Power,F1, F2, Settings, back).

- Android version is fluid and fastand we have 3 apps already installed JI GO,DJI GO 4, Dji Pilot Beta.

- The batteries provide very good autonomy, but require to be charged at least once before you plug them on the screen ( any charger I1, Phantom4, I2 to conenct the charging hub is ok, you can charge 2 batteries with it, one after the other, but charge is quick).

- You will get accurate remaining time for the batteries after 4 or 5 cyclestime for the battery to break in and get it's nominal voltage / capacity.

- The screen quick release is wonderful, i love thatt hing a lot !!! The pivot screw forthe screen has a O ring which is a bit soft ( i did need to tighten back 2 or 3 times during the whole day which is no big deal but i reported it anyway).

- The HDMI output can be switched on / offa nd i did not notice any problems with it compared to the HDMI output of the I2 transmitter.

- With extreme temperatures ( beyond the 40° as we had direct sunlight hitting the screen), i noticed a few lags and had one auncher crash, but i did reboot and it worked ok. We really pushed the unit in it's latest corners with high temperature and many of the other teams had repeated troubles with their Ipads getting ultra hot and collapse with the famous red thermometer and blocked for long minutes.. I just had to reboot and find a bit of shadow..

- I had only 2 applications launches troubles ( Aircraft not connected) on the 5,5 inches one, but it was also indirect sun light non stop the whole day.. Here again, a quick reboot ( it's fast) and i wasback online.

- Maps cache is working great, maybe not same resolution as live maps but well, we don't need a high resolution, we just need to see eventualy where we are flying or to fin the machine if something happens. I did not notice any lag with the maps.

- Switching between FPV and Camera view worked ok, i know one of the beta tester had a small issue there but it' was with a different aircraft, it should be solved very quickly.

- The overall quality is high for sure and it's a robust unit, more than an Ipad. Don't ask me how i know ;)

- The Onboard Android firmware works ok, it's a bit strange not to have a full Android system but well, if you want your system to be stable for the dedicated applications you will use, some choice has to be done... I just hopea few useful applications will be possible to upload or packaged in a next foirmware for those who need to communicate on social networks while working ( Instagram, Wattsap, FB..) or get infos ( weather infos for example)..

-Live Streaming on various platform i did not test all, only on FB, it wasa bit long to launch but worked ok and i had a good quality picture feedback from my followers.

- The unit looks very professional and i found it very stable ( system) despite the hard conditions.

- Sound is Loud and clear.

- Attached are a few pictures you will notice how higher the brightness is compared to a BM Video Assist.

- Lionel is the pilot with the cap, of course he took the 7,85 straight away ( lol) ...

- Touchscreen is good, i had a minor problem to slide in camera settings after 4 hours of use non stop but our fingers were dusty and screen was hot, apart this it worked perfectly all time.

- On the 7,85 there is a small sound bug ( double click noise when pressing a letter once sometimes) but it will be corrected very soon.

Overall i am very pleased with these units and i am even pretty impressed how they performed, those who know me know that i don't say a product is good if it is not ( i just try to be constructive in my eventual errors/bugs/conception reports).

- Once thing to be careful with is, when you switch on or of the Transmitter, the screen with  power on/off automaticaly. But if you put the transmitter for charging, then it will power on the screen again and it seems it's powered by the USB C of the transmitter during that time so you will reduce the charge current to your transmitter ( longer charging time). Do not hesitate to power the unit off, it's quick to startup anyway

That's all for today i will continue the tests and if you have any questions, do not hesitate to send me a PM or andwer this post, please allow me 48 hours to answer as i am most of the time out, performing maintenance/ repair / technical assistance on site and sometimes switch of phone/computer to work.

All i can say is, everybody here loves it and everybody here wants to borrow the units from me ( lol ) !

BEst regards,

Fabien  

2017-7-10
Use props
Mad Monster
lvl.1
Flight distance : 12648 ft
Netherlands

Did you also test the Crystalsky with Osmo+ because i'm having trouble with the Wifi connection. It's jerky and lagging most of the time. So i cannot depend on it as monitor for the Osmo+. Sometimes, but i can't figure out why, it's perfect. But the next time i start it up, it's jerky again. When i test it on my iPhone, it's perfect. I tried switching the Osmo+ to 5Ghz Wifi. But the Crystalsky cannot find the 5Ghz network. Although DJI states that the unit is capable of connecting to a 5Ghz network. And no, The Netherlands has no restriction on 5.2 or 5.8 GHZ Wifi. So strange.. Any experience on this?
2017-7-11
Use props
Taz Flyer
lvl.4
Flight distance : 161588 ft
Puerto Rico

That's GREAT. I wonder when the 7.85 unit (1000 nits) is going to be available, looks like its been expected since May of this year?

Thanks.
2017-8-22
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules