Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Maybe it's better to call a drone a RCMA, (Remote Controlled Model Aircraft)
3749 7 2014-10-14
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
celebrate1203
lvl.1

United States

EMAIL UPDATE ON ORIGINAL POSTING
I just received a email update today on a posting I made earlier that was made below the black solid line.
Here is the exact wording of the email I received from Peter Sachs the writer of the article, attorney, and private investigator.
I had inquired about using a Phantom quadcopter for hire for photography and video recording.
This was Peters email to me:

Thanks for writing. Drone Law Journal is "frozen in time" since the FAA issued "the Interpretation" on June 25, 2014. With its Interpretation, the FAA has summarily "announced" that with the passage of the FMRA of 2012:

Compensation of any sort is banned. The FAA claims that flying a drone in a manner that is "in furtherance of a business" is illegal. That includes everything from the obvious (aerial photography) to the less obvious (flight instruction or demonstrations that would further one's business). Even showing drone-obtained video and a company logo simultaneously online or on-air is considered "commercial." Drone flights that are "incidental to a business" (which would not be considered "commercial" with a full-size manned aircraft) are considered commercial if done with a drone.

Flights within 5 miles of any airport require prior permission. Providing "notice" alone is no longer enough. You must obtain prior permission from ATC or Airport Operations whenever you fly within 5 miles of any airport, heliport, etc. Since the Interpretation doesn't specify the size of the drone to which it applies, you must call for permission even if it's a tiny, 1-ounce drone hovering 1-inch above the ground in your backyard.

Flying drones using "first person view" ("FPV") is prohibited. This means you cannot use a modern "watch it on a monitor" system to fly or even the long-accepted “buddy box” method, where a second person (with a separate controller) observes the drone at all time while the pilot flies. Instead, the pilot's eyes must be able to see the drone at all times while flying.

All existing Federal Aviation Regulations apply to drones. The Interpretation claims the definition of "model aircraft" applies to all Federal Aviation Regulations, even though the plain language of Section 336(c) makes it abundantly clear that the definition applies only to Section 336 itself. This means that all Federal Aviation Regulations, even those that cannot logically apply to an unmanned aircraft, apply to drones and the FAA can use any of those regulations for enforcement purposes.

There is, of course, nothing in the FMRA of 2012 that supports any of the FAA's absurd interpretation. In fact, Section 336 specifically prohibits the FAA from promulgating any rule or regulation regarding a model aircraft or an aircraft being developed as a model aircraft. Yet it has done just that because all of the above is new. Most important, unlike a "policy" statement, an agency "interpretation" is legally binding from the time it is published in the Federal Register.

We have brought suit against the FAA challenging the Interpretation. However, as it stands right now, the FAA's stance is that it is illegal for you do what you want. The suit will take approximately 6 months before there is a decision.
Peter Sachs, Esq.
Attorney • Private Investigator
peter@dronelawjournal.com
__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

ORIGINAL POSTING
I came across this article the other day that an attorney had written on the legalities of drone flight, or rather, RCMA (Remote Controlled Model Aircraft), flight. I wanted to share this article in a forum and get everyone reading its opinion.
Here is the link:
http://dronelawjournal.com/

Copy and paste the above link into your browser and read both links entitled, "Current Drone Law" and also, "About Peter Sachs".

From everything I have been reading commercial drone photography by RCMA pilots is going to be in big demand for by realtors, farmers, and even law enforcement. I for one want to do this as a supplemental income. I plan on purchasing a Phantom 2 Vision Plus Quadcopter RCMA next year and this is my goal. I am a total novice at this but I am a professional photographer.

If you as a reader know of or have recommendations on who a person would actually contact to promote legalizing this your insight would be greatly appreciated. If all of us as RCMA pilot could all unite together on our ideas and expertise maybe we can all get this officially legalized and spelled out.

Thanks for taking the time for your input, it is greatly appreciated.

Larry
2014-10-14
Use props
crc2004
lvl.3
Flight distance : 63461 ft
United States

The link you provided was an interesting read, thanks for sharing. Referring to drones as RCMA works for me, though the word "model" I’m not sure about. Are they really models? Should it be URCLUA (Unregulated (by the FAA) Remote Controlled Lightweight Unmanned Aircraft) instead? On second thought URCLUA is too long. I guess any acronym is better than drone.
2014-10-14
Use props
celebrate1203
lvl.1

United States

crc2004 Posted at 2014-10-15 02:26
The link you provided was an interesting read, thanks for sharing. Referring to drones as RCMA works ...

Thanks for your feedback, your feelings are my feeling precisely. The phantom quadcopters are much safer then RC helicopters and airplanes as the pilot is much more in control. Also you are doing future clients a service that they want your services from you whether it be a realtor, travel agency, farmer, or law enforcement for that matter. You actually are helping the economy. It's a win win situation for everyone.
2014-10-14
Use props
moe3754
lvl.1
Flight distance : 1184 ft
United States

Instead of all these moronic names everyone wants to stick on them why not just call them what they really are, multi rotor Quad copters. Very simple and to the point, or better yet how about just Phantoms.
2014-10-14
Use props
ringlis1
lvl.1
Flight distance : 34685 ft
United States

Join the AMA! Academy of Model Aeronautics (AMA) They have a lot of members fighting for our rights to fly.
2014-10-14
Use props
crc2004
lvl.3
Flight distance : 63461 ft
United States

moe3754 Posted at 2014-10-15 04:53
Instead of all these moronic names everyone wants to stick on them why not just call them what they  ...

You have a point but.... how will we survive without a really cool acronym

PS:I think we'd have to remove quad from the name since there are 3, 6 & 8 prop copters. And we’d have to change copter to something else to include planes.

2014-10-14
Use props
celebrate1203
lvl.1

United States

moe3754 Posted at 2014-10-15 04:53
Instead of all these moronic names everyone wants to stick on them why not just call them what they  ...

Love it
You are so right
2014-10-14
Use props
dhimmakada
Banned

India

Tip: the author has been banned or deleted automatically shield
2017-6-23
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now