Spark Digital Stabilization Issues
1597 4 2017-7-11
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
RGSinSC
lvl.2
United States

If you have noticed that what one views on the smart phone is NOT what a photograph yields, the reason is digital stablization is used for video because of the limitations of a 2 axis gimbal, rather than 3. This creates a very nice and stabilized video but continuity of video to photo mode is compromised.

This technology yields, essentially, an internal "crop zoom" for video and when you take a photo the whole sensor is used, creating a shot that looks farther away than the video taken from exactly the same spot........

I have found this frustrating when trying to photograph something, because what you see in NOT what you get......

DJI doesn't really hide their use of digital stablization, they mask it by calling it "ultra smooth technology" and thus the video is not utilizing the full resolution that the video is shot in.

This is disappointing especially when switching from video to photographs during the same flight.......
2017-7-11
Use props
Hummingbird.UAV
Captain
Flight distance : 27489951 ft
  • >>>
Canada

This may not be the case.  Consider the video is 16x9 aspect ratio which fills the screen of an iPhone 6+ completely.  In photo mode the aspect is 4x3 and is taller than the 16x9 so to display it the image on the screen shrinks and black bars are added to the sides on the iPhone display.
2017-7-11
Use props
Cravenfan
lvl.4
Flight distance : 125256 ft
United States

Ya, I did find it a bit annoying that when you flip from video to photo, the image on the phone flips as well...would be nice to be able to take pix in that same 16x9 mode?  Like on the iPhone, you have "square" or "photo" settings.  
2017-7-11
Use props
RGSinSC
lvl.2
United States

Hummingbird.UAV Posted at 2017-7-11 09:20
This may not be the case.  Consider the video is 16x9 aspect ratio which fills the screen of an iPhone 6+ completely.  In photo mode the aspect is 4x3 and is taller than the 16x9 so to display it the image on the screen shrinks and black bars are added to the sides on the iPhone display.

Irrespective of the aspect ratio, the fact that DJI is doing an electronic stabilization requiring a "crop/zoom" changes what is seen on the screen when you switch to photo mode you find that the field of view has totally changed!
2017-7-11
Use props
Pavel K
lvl.1
Flight distance : 1175 ft
Russia

I bought the recommended microSD for the spark, the spark writes a video with lags on it, but video written via wifi on the phone is smooth: https :// yadi.sk/i/7Bn_lNVo3L9osW
On video segments with a child from microSD (they are with lags), the rest of the video - from the phone is written via wifi (it is smooth, without lags).

MicroSD bought the recommended Samsung 32GB (write speed 90). I tried with sony on 16GB, with it seems lag even more.
I updated the firmware to the latest one, too.

What should I do? How can I fix it?
2017-7-20
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules