Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Battery Wet ... Safe?
6186 15 2017-7-11
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
vcvw
New
United States

My drone battery fell into a bowl of water and was submerged for no more than 1 second. I then put it in a bag of rice for over 24 hours. Do we think it's safe to use?
2017-7-11
Use props
Eagle_Eye
First Officer
Flight distance : 4137720 ft
United States

You're the only 1 who can tell us.....I think.
Let us know!
2017-7-11
Use props
Mari
Captain
Flight distance : 1308780 ft
Netherlands

Water and electronics are no good combination. I would not risk my Mavic flying with this battery... What happened that you dropped the battery in a bowl of water?
2017-7-11
Use props
vcvw
New
United States

Mari Posted at 2017-7-11 09:31
Water and electronics are no good combination. I would not risk my Mavic flying with this battery... What happened that you dropped the battery in a bowl of water?

I was charging it on a counter and dropped it into the dog's water dish below. Grabbed it out immediately. I've been hesitant to use it since, despite drying out in rice for nearly two days.
2017-7-11
Use props
Eagle_Eye
First Officer
Flight distance : 4137720 ft
United States

vcvw Posted at 2017-7-11 09:52
I was charging it on a counter and dropped it into the dog's water dish below. Grabbed it out immediately. I've been hesitant to use it since, despite drying out in rice for nearly two days.

Does it power ON like normal?
2017-7-11
Use props
Landbo
First Officer
Flight distance : 502792 ft
Denmark

When it's only fresh water and for a short period of time, I personally will not be afraid to use the battery after it has been dried out.

Regards Leif.
2017-7-11
Use props
WolfgangStiller
Captain
Flight distance : 599416 ft
United States

I would be careful until it has dried for a while and then put it through a charge/discharge cycle. Note, it could potentially burst into flames so it's not just the Mavic that is at risk here.
2017-7-11
Use props
Bekaru Tree
Captain
Flight distance : 15513100 ft
South Africa

my thoughts may be wrong but if i was in yr shoes i'd be thinking it is worth giving a chance. I would watch it closely on my app for general condition and for heating issues (during charging and after flight) or irregular quick discharge - basically any abnormalities for a few flights - if i detect any concerns at all - battery gets replaced - but if after some usage everything remains normal, i would feel comfortable to keep using it.
2017-7-11
Use props
dancopter
First Officer
Flight distance : 17901030 ft
  • >>>
United Arab Emirates

I wouldn't risk it. Would rather bin a $89 battery than lose a $1000 Mavic.
2017-7-11
Use props
fansc0fb4145
lvl.4
Flight distance : 521627 ft
Germany

You may not see the effects of the water immediately, corrosion takes time. It is quite possible that everything will seem fine the first few flights and in a few weeks the battery fails.

I would buy a new battery. If you have Refresh you could gamble.
2017-7-12
Use props
DocAraxá
First Officer
Flight distance : 202283 ft
Brazil

fansc0fb4145 Posted at 2017-7-12 01:29
You may not see the effects of the water immediately, corrosion takes time. It is quite possible that everything will seem fine the first few flights and in a few weeks the battery fails.

I would buy a new battery. If you have Refresh you could gamble.

I competely agree!
2017-7-12
Use props
Tmygun
First Officer
Flight distance : 2972497 ft
  • >>>
United States

I have to say I would not risk it........for lot of reasons.

Good Luck
2017-7-12
Use props
fans1a49e750
lvl.1
Flight distance : 51893 ft
United States

I think it depends on how "hard" your tap water is.  Distilled or deionozed water doesn't have any ionized minerals to initiate electrolysis/corrosion, so should be relatively harmless to electronics.  Unless your tap water has a lot of dissolved minerals in it, I'd do some prolonged hovering in Beginner Mode over tall grass for a couple of cycles.  
2017-7-12
Use props
David Atkinson
First Officer

United Kingdom

It's probably not worth risking your Mavic for a battery. All the guides recommend disposing of any battery that comes into contact with water.
2017-7-12
Use props
djiuser_LUr3Dw7rP9NT
New

United States

Well, what happened? I have the same question myself. I had my drone batteries in a canvas bag that got soaked in the bed of my truck. Wondering if these batteries got wet enough to experience damage.
2021-7-14
Use props
FriedChicken_II
Second Officer
Flight distance : 721555 ft

Taiwan

It's easy. Dry it out, and try if it shows the remaining power. See if you can recharge it with no problem. Then fly your drone on your bed, just make it hover until the battery dies. If it all worked, then no worries, just recharge it.
2021-7-14
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules