Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Crashed my Spark and it was not my fault :(
12Next >
3701 44 2017-7-11
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fanscffc7a75
lvl.1
Flight distance : 125308 ft
United States

I crashed my Spark last week. It had a compass error, lost control and it went straight into a wall. It was definitely no my fault. I was on the beach and not metal close by.I have the DJI care refresh but I don't think I should have to pay for the replacement or lose my allowed number of repacements. Do you guys think DJI would replace her under warranty instead?

2017-7-11
Use props
Griffith
lvl.4
Flight distance : 98537 ft
United States

If you can retrieve the data file from the spark (using DJI assistant) and post it in a Dropbox spot, one or two people here will take a look.  This seems to be a common problem,. Hopefully we can find a common thread.
2017-7-11
Use props
fanscffc7a75
lvl.1
United States

I submitted the video and datalog. Fingers crossed.
2017-7-11
Use props
fans0dc72665
lvl.1
Flight distance : 43284 ft
United States

fanscffc7a75 Posted at 2017-7-11 11:25
I submitted the video and datalog. Fingers crossed.

The same thing happened to me but I LOST my SPARK!! Been flying my SPARK for a week with no issues. Then today I went out (ALSO ON THE BEACH), powered on my controller, connected my iPhone to it's WiFi, opened the DJI GO 4 app, powered on the SPARK, the SPARK connected with my controller, went to fly, all checks were good to go, had 14 satellites (before take off), had the green GPS signal. selected for the SPARK to take off, SPARK up in the air, went straight up above me to an altitude of about 127 ft, looked up to confirm SPARK was good, Looked down to my iPhone to check the video shot, started to move it slowly forward, then ALL HELL BROKE LOOSE!! I got a voice prompt notifying  me that it went into Atti mode, As I looked back to my iPhone I got a COMPASS ERROR on the screen and some other warning, I looked back up and the SPARK WAS GONE!! I had no idea where it went, I looked back at my iPhone and had the RTH option on my screen. Couldn't swipe it!! The SPARK had become disconnected. There was nothing on the screen anymore. The remote was also showing that it was NOT connected to the SPARK anymore. I had nothing. No sound of it crashing, nothing. Called DJI and opened a case. I agree that this should not be reflected off of your number of replacements.

I checked the video that was recorded and it stops at the point where the SPARK was disconnected from the remote. I did notice that it sort of drifts backward and slightly to the right just before the video ends. I also checked the flight record and I can stand right were the "last known contact" was. Nothing in that area. It didn't record it falling out of the sky. It could be anywhere. I don't know if it maintained it's altitude and just flown off until it ran out of battery. Like you said..."Fingers crossed"
2017-7-11
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

We are sorry to hear the crash accident, please contact our support to create a ticket and send in your drone, we have professional data analysis team who will help to figure out the reason of crash, and then the further resolution will be provided. If it's malfunction, your drone will be replaced or repaired for free according to DJI After-Sales policy, no worries.
2017-7-11
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

fans0dc72665 Posted at 2017-7-11 20:07
The same thing happened to me but I LOST my SPARK!! Been flying my SPARK for a week with no issues. Then today I went out (ALSO ON THE BEACH), powered on my controller, connected my iPhone to it's WiFi, opened the DJI GO 4 app, powered on the SPARK, the SPARK connected with my controller, went to fly, all checks were good to go, had 14 satellites (before take off), had the green GPS signal. selected for the SPARK to take off, SPARK up in the air, went straight up above me to an altitude of about 127 ft, looked up to confirm SPARK was good, Looked down to my iPhone to check the video shot, started to move it slowly forward, then ALL HELL BROKE LOOSE!! I got a voice prompt notifying  me that it went into Atti mode, As I looked back to my iPhone I got a COMPASS ERROR on the screen and some other warning, I looked back up and the SPARK WAS GONE!! I had no idea where it went, I looked back at my iPhone and had the RTH option on my screen. Couldn't swipe it!! The SPARK had become disconnected. There was nothing on the screen anymore. The remote was also showing that it was NOT connected to the SPARK anymore. I had nothing. No sound of it crashing, nothing. Called DJI and opened a case. I agree that this should not be reflected off of your number of replacements.

I checked the video that was recorded and it stops at the point where the SPARK was disconnected from the remote. I did notice that it sort of drifts backward and slightly to the right just before the video ends. I also checked the flight record and I can stand right were the "last known contact" was. Nothing in that area. It didn't record it falling out of the sky. It could be anywhere. I don't know if it maintained it's altitude and just flown off until it ran out of battery. Like you said..."Fingers crossed"

I sympathize with your situation and really sorry for the mishap, please leave me with your case number, we will have someone to contact you after data analysis, I will keep an eye on it.
2017-7-11
Use props
SparkAustin
lvl.1
United States

DJI Mindy Posted at 2017-7-11 23:29
We are sorry to hear the crash accident, please contact our support to create a ticket and send in your drone, we have professional data analysis team who will help to figure out the reason of crash, and then the further resolution will be provided. If it's malfunction, your drone will be replaced or repaired for free according to DJI After-Sales policy, no worries.

Thanks @DJI Mindy. I have created a ticket. Two actually, one under service and another under DJI care. I was confused where to enter the information. I did ship my spark under DJI care case, though. I can PM you the ticket number if you want.
2017-7-12
Use props
SparkAustin
lvl.1
United States

fans0dc72665 Posted at 2017-7-11 20:07

This is exactly what happened with mine. Only there was a building on it way. I'm glad it was not someone's head! The log shows it was flying close to 30mph with it crashed! I certainly don't want to be liable to that.
2017-7-12
Use props
SparkAustin
lvl.1
United States

Here are the links from the crash:

Crash video: https://www.dropbox.com/s/x133sv8c4vuf87x/DJI_0022.MP4?dl=0
Datalog: https://www.dropbox.com/s/4oa1rj ... 4-51-57%5D.txt?dl=0
2017-7-12
Use props
fansfcc89423
lvl.2
United States

Make you recalibrate the compass when you take it to different locations to fly it.
2017-7-12
Use props
SparkAustin
lvl.1
United States

fansfcc89423 Posted at 2017-7-12 13:05
Make you recalibrate the compass when you take it to different locations to fly it.

I've read several places to not recalibrate unless warned by the app. Also, I've had about 1 hour flight time in the same region before the crash happened.
2017-7-12
Use props
Euro7r
lvl.2
Canada

The more stories I read about non-user error and strictly on the drone just going out of whack, makes me nervous.  I don't think I will ever use the WIFI connection and will always use the OTG cable connection, just for added safety.  That's not to say OTG is entirely safe as others have ran into issues as well.  
2017-7-12
Use props
fansfcc89423
lvl.2
United States

SparkAustin Posted at 2017-7-12 13:46
I've read several places to not recalibrate unless warned by the app. Also, I've had about 1 hour flight time in the same region before the crash happened.

Ok did you recalibrate the compass and IMU when you first received your spark from DJI? remember this AC is coming from another continent. Also it is good practice and safety precaution to keep your AC from flying away to recalibrate the compass when you are moving from one location to another for example from your home to the beach especially if its miles away from where you would usually launch. i learned that from all the guys here at my local RC club. the thing that i like with doing the compass calibration is it will tell you if there is a problem with the compass even if you launch from that location all the time. you never no something could change in that location that you not aware of and mess with the spark compass as soon as you get it up in the sky. A mean it doesn't take long to do and its easy.
2017-7-12
Use props
jcrod_73
lvl.1
United States

fansfcc89423 Posted at 2017-7-12 17:02
Ok did you recalibrate the compass and IMU when you first received your spark from DJI? remember this AC is coming from another continent. Also it is good practice and safety precaution to keep your AC from flying away to recalibrate the compass when you are moving from one location to another for example from your home to the beach especially if its miles away from where you would usually launch. i learned that from all the guys here at my local RC club. the thing that i like with doing the compass calibration is it will tell you if there is a problem with the compass even if you launch from that location all the time. you never no something could change in that location that you not aware of and mess with the spark compass as soon as you get it up in the sky. A mean it doesn't take long to do and its easy.

I have done the IMU & Compass calibration when I received it and before i first flew it. I have been flying my SPARK for a week now. I am on vacation and had the SPARK sent here. Flew it fine with no issues. Went to another town where i did both calibrations. Came back that night, then the next day i did the calibrations again. Flew the SPARK with no issues again. Went to the beach which is literally 50ft away from the front door of where we are staying. Sent the drone up, then BAM!! It was gone. Vanished!! Like the Bermuda Triangle appeared in my area.

I think Aliens are to blame. They must not like that we are getting close to having proof they exist and they either zapped my drone out of the sky with a disintegration ray or beamed it up (joking obviously) . There were others vacationers near me that ALL have no clue what happened to it. We are all on the lookout for it. I have even reported it to the local police in case someone called it in. So far glad to know that there was no damage or that it injured anyone.
2017-7-12
Use props
SparkAustin
lvl.1
United States

I don't think calibration is to blame here. As jcrod_73 states, my situation was very similar. I flew it other times in the same location and no issues. Heck, it was flying just fine until hell broke loose.
2017-7-13
Use props
jcrod_73
lvl.1
United States

DJI Mindy Posted at 2017-7-11 23:28
I sympathize with your situation and really sorry for the mishap, please leave me with your case number, we will have someone to contact you after data analysis, I will keep an eye on it.

Thank you DJI Mindy. I have PM'd you my case information.
2017-7-13
Use props
DJI Diana
Administrator
Flight distance : 2408 ft

SparkAustin Posted at 2017-7-12 04:28
Thanks @DJI Mindy. I have created a ticket. Two actually, one under service and another under DJI care. I was confused where to enter the information. I did ship my spark under DJI care case, though. I can PM you the ticket number if you want.

No worries, since you've already sent the drone in, we'll take care of it after it arrived, should you have any further questions, please provide us your case number, we'll check it for you.
2017-7-13
Use props
DJI Diana
Administrator

jcrod_73 Posted at 2017-7-13 13:18
Thank you DJI Mindy. I have PM'd you my case information.

Thanks, we've checked your case, it is under process now, like Mindy mentioned, we will have someone contact you after data analysis, hope we can get it sorted out shortly, appreciate your patience.
2017-7-13
Use props
jcrod_73
lvl.1
United States

DJI Diana Posted at 2017-7-13 19:03
No worries, since you've already sent the drone in, we'll take care of it after it arrived, should you have any further questions, please provide us your case number, we'll check it for you.

@DJI Diana...What about my case?? I was hoping to get some faster support from DJI before i leave the area that i lost my SPARK. We are on vacation and I would like to get help tracking it down if possible before i leave to go back home this SATURDAY. Is it possible for DJI to get any kind of "last known GPS location" of my SPARK before the battery went dead?? My case number is 786691.
2017-7-13
Use props
DJI Diana
Administrator

jcrod_73 Posted at 2017-7-13 19:25
@DJI Diana...What about my case?? I was hoping to get some faster support from DJI before i leave the area that i lost my SPARK. We are on vacation and I would like to get help tracking it down if possible before i leave to go back home this SATURDAY. Is it possible for DJI to get any kind of "last known GPS location" of my SPARK before the battery went dead?? My case number is 786691.

It is under process now, I've escalated it, I am sorry to say that we are not able to track it,  but we'll analyze the data to find out the cause, we'll provide you a solution after data analysis.
2017-7-13
Use props
SparkAustin
lvl.1
United States

DJI Diana Posted at 2017-7-13 19:03

It will arrive today. I sent you a private message with my ticket numbers.
2017-7-14
Use props
sagigeva
lvl.1
Flight distance : 576319 ft
United States

I am as frustrated as you, if not more...

I've been flying DJI products for multiple years now and I am an advanced user. I've had partial success with the Spark and especially the palm-launch / gesture control mode, it was working once and then at one time it just went really high in the air and stayed there until the battery ran out. Luckily for me I was in a field and it just landed on the grass.

I wasn't so lucky 3 days later, when I tried this mode by a lake. Spark took off my hand and then started flying away from me. Within 10 seconds it was hovering over the lake, and then just dove in it and disappeared.

I didn't have my phone connected to the drone at the time, so couldn't provide any logs for support, the biggest problem is that DJI won't admit that they have issues with this mode and won't take responsibility. $500 down the drain a week after I got it. I would not recommend buying Spark or using the palm launch mode.

Hopefully someone reads this before throwing away money on a faulty product.

Shame on you DJI!
2017-7-14
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

sagigeva Posted at 2017-7-14 18:00
I am as frustrated as you, if not more...

I've been flying DJI products for multiple years now and I am an advanced user. I've had partial success with the Spark and especially the palm-launch / gesture control mode, it was working once and then at one time it just went really high in the air and stayed there until the battery ran out. Luckily for me I was in a field and it just landed on the grass.

We are sorry for the accident.
Actually, we're glad to help if you have any problems during the normal use, while we're not able to figure out what caused the flyaway for lack of data needed.
We also state it on our website: S.png
2017-7-14
Use props
AfizAoki
New
Flight distance : 15167 ft
Sweden

Today, 14/7/17 Hjortsberga Sweden, my Spark crashed down while having 18% battery (2mins+ flying time)! The apps suddenly lost connection and fall into pieces 2meters in front of me. It was no more than 38m high, and around 5m radius. This is serious and can be even more dangerous if it fell down on people!
2017-7-15
Use props
DJI Diana
Administrator

AfizAoki Posted at 2017-7-15 13:47
Today, 14/7/17 Hjortsberga Sweden, my Spark crashed down while having 18% battery (2mins+ flying time)! The apps suddenly lost connection and fall into pieces 2meters in front of me. It was no more than 38m high, and around 5m radius. This is serious and can be even more dangerous if it fell down on people!

We are so sorry to hear about the crash, have you contacted the Support to open a case? Please sync the flight records on the APP, then send an email with your DJI account email and the date this occurred to support.nl@dji.com. we'll open a case and submit a data analysis for you. Sorry again for the trouble you have been caused.
2017-7-15
Use props
DJI Diana
Administrator

SparkAustin Posted at 2017-7-14 07:13
It will arrive today. I sent you a private message with my ticket numbers.

Got it , will keep an eye on it.
2017-7-15
Use props
SparkAustin
lvl.1
United States

DJI Diana Posted at 2017-7-15 19:23
Got it , will keep an eye on it.

Thanks, how long will it take? I have a trip coming up and I want to take it with us.
2017-7-16
Use props
jcrod_73
lvl.1
United States

DJI Diana Posted at 2017-7-13 20:04
It is under process now, I've escalated it, I am sorry to say that we are not able to track it,  but we'll analyze the data to find out the cause, we'll provide you a solution after data analysis.

Hello...it's been almost a week since I've opened my case. I have not heard anything back yet?? How long does data analysis take??
2017-7-17
Use props
SparkAustin
lvl.1
United States

Well, not so good reply from DJI today. Because I used DJI care refresh to send the unit back, I was told they will not look into the log and will not refund me the $49. I'm not very happy with the outcome. I've requested them to not deduct the number of replacements. The tech said he will send a request and I'll get an answer by email. I'm keeping my fingers crossed but not holding my breath (unfortunately).
2017-7-17
Use props
DJI Diana
Administrator

SparkAustin Posted at 2017-7-17 16:02
Well, not so good reply from DJI today. Because I used DJI care refresh to send the unit back, I was told they will not look into the log and will not refund me the $49. I'm not very happy with the outcome. I've requested them to not deduct the number of replacements. The tech said he will send a request and I'll get an answer by email. I'm keeping my fingers crossed but not holding my breath (unfortunately).

Since you've selected DJI Care Refresh Express, responsibility determination and data analysis will not be conducted under DJI Care Refresh Express.  I'll inform our appropriate team to look into it , see if the DJI Care Refresh Express can be cancelled, then go through the process as a regular case, if so, it will take longer than a DJI Care Refresh Express case.
2017-7-17
Use props
DJI Diana
Administrator

jcrod_73 Posted at 2017-7-17 06:43
Hello...it's been almost a week since I've opened my case. I have not heard anything back yet?? How long does data analysis take??

Jeff, just checked it , we've sent you an email with the result of data analysis , have you received it? Please check your email.
2017-7-17
Use props
SparkAustin
lvl.1
United States

DJI Diana Posted at 2017-7-17 19:58
Since you've selected DJI Care Refresh Express, responsibility determination and data analysis will not be conducted under DJI Care Refresh Express.  I'll inform our appropriate team to look into it , see if the DJI Care Refresh Express can be cancelled, then go through the process as a regular case, if so, it will take longer than a DJI Care Refresh Express case.

I asked that and I've been told no. I was hoping that would happen though.
2017-7-18
Use props
jcrod_73
lvl.1
United States

DJI Diana Posted at 2017-7-17 20:14
Jeff, just checked it , we've sent you an email with the result of data analysis , have you received it? Please check your email.

Hello Diana...Yes I did, thank you!
2017-7-18
Use props
jcrod_73
lvl.1
United States

DJI Diana Posted at 2017-7-17 20:14

Also, What about my SD card that was in the drone?? The SD card should be replaced as well since the malfunctioning drone took off with it and I am unable to recover it.

Another question I have is, IF someone finds it and it is in working order, can they register it and use it for themselves? Does DJI track the serial numbers and know which drones are lost/stolen?
2017-7-18
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

jcrod_73 Posted at 2017-7-18 08:50
Also, What about my SD card that was in the drone?? The SD card should be replaced as well since the malfunctioning drone took off with it and I am unable to recover it.

Another question I have is, IF someone finds it and it is in working order, can they register it and use it for themselves? Does DJI track the serial numbers and know which drones are lost/stolen?

We will send you a 100% off coupon code for Spark without RC very soon, and there will be a 16 GB Micro SD card free when you purchase in our online store.
Unfortunately, anyone who find your lost drone can register his own DJI account and use it, we are unable to track it  with the serial number, really sorry for that.
2017-7-18
Use props
DJI Diana
Administrator

SparkAustin Posted at 2017-7-18 04:36
I asked that and I've been told no. I was hoping that would happen though.

We have someone contacted you referring to this issue, did you receive the email and message?
2017-7-19
Use props
SparkAustin
lvl.1
United States

DJI Diana Posted at 2017-7-19 02:40
We have someone contacted you referring to this issue, did you receive the email and message?

I did. Thanks! He's looking into it.
2017-7-19
Use props
jcrod_73
lvl.1
United States

DJI Mindy Posted at 2017-7-18 22:27
We will send you a 100% off coupon code for Spark without RC very soon, and there will be a 16 GB Micro SD card free when you purchase in our online store.
Unfortunately, anyone who find your lost drone can register his own DJI account and use it, we are unable to track it  with the serial number, really sorry for that.

OK...that all sounds great but I had the Lava Red SPARK model. If I try to order it through the store it shows that they are OUT OF STOCK. How am I supposed to get my replacement?!?! HOW LONG DO I HAVE TO WAIT TO GET THE REPLACEMENT?!?! Why can't DJI just send me out a new lava red SPARK so that i can get what I paid for sooner than later since this was all NOT my fault?? I'm at the point now that i should just look to get a refund of the whole package and return everything that i still have. This is RIDICULOUS!!
2017-7-19
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

jcrod_73 Posted at 2017-7-19 07:47
OK...that all sounds great but I had the Lava Red SPARK model. If I try to order it through the store it shows that they are OUT OF STOCK. How am I supposed to get my replacement?!?! HOW LONG DO I HAVE TO WAIT TO GET THE REPLACEMENT?!?! Why can't DJI just send me out a new lava red SPARK so that i can get what I paid for sooner than later since this was all NOT my fault?? I'm at the point now that i should just look to get a refund of the whole package and return everything that i still have. This is RIDICULOUS!!

I understand your frustration, but the red Spark is out of stock, we are unable to send you a replacement at the moment. Please make an in-stock-reminder and leave your email, we will send you a notification as soon as we have the item in stock. We are so sorry for the inconvenience caused.
2017-7-20
Use props
jcrod_73
lvl.1
United States

DJI Mindy Posted at 2017-7-20 02:43
I understand your frustration, but the red Spark is out of stock, we are unable to send you a replacement at the moment. Please make an in-stock-reminder and leave your email, we will send you a notification as soon as we have the item in stock. We are so sorry for the inconvenience caused.

How do i go about getting a refund??
2017-7-20
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules