Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Night & Water Flight
1133 22 2017-7-11
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Mckay
New
United States

I have a Phantom 4 and recently noticed this weekend drones flying during the evening of 4th of July fireworks.  Can anyone give me any advice on the how this is done?  My fear is landing in the dark.  Will the VPS cause any problems for landing?  What is the best way to do this?

Also, I have read that when flying over water there were recommendations to turn of the VPS.  What if you are flying high over water.  For example, following a boat, is it necessary to turn off the VPS?  If you do turn it off is this done before takeoff or after takeoff? Does the drone have a hard time landing with the VPS off?  Any advice would be great.  Thanks,

2017-7-11
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Sweden

If you are flying 10 meters above water no need to turn off VPS , if you want to you can. Try taking off from a well lit area, be very aware of your surroundings i.e. Height of all possible obstacles, it's not to difficult to see your AC at night just remember red flashing is front of AC , try a few short flights until you feel confident. It's not that difficult.
2017-7-11
Use props
Mckay
New
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 2017-7-11 11:13
If you are flying 10 meters above water no need to turn off VPS , if you want to you can. Try taking off from a well lit area, be very aware of your surroundings i.e. Height of all possible obstacles, it's not to difficult to see your AC at night just remember red flashing is front of AC , try a few short flights until you feel confident. It's not that difficult.

Thanks for your info.
2017-7-11
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

Yes, the onboard LED orientation lights are quite adequate for most night flights, that are relatively close to your home point.
But they do have visibility distance limitations, even at night.

As far as landing at night goes, those same onboard orientation LED diodes are plenty bright enough to light up your take off/landing pad.
You are using some form of landing pad, correct? Or not?

RTH can have it's slight difference in actual location so it's best to take over landing, once the drone has begun to descend.

By always taking off from an open & clear area of any near obstacles, a couple of meters either way won't matter too much, if it does auto land.
Flying above water is marvelous, if a little scary, knowing that if it goes down, you'll say goodbye to your little friend, forever. Haha
Unless you have floats or some other method to keep it afloat and retrievable. Most of us don't have that. Many will learn the lesson the hard way.
It's nice to have a device with built in GPS, like the iPad Air Cellular, so you can change your dynamic home point. That's particularly helpful if you are on the boat you are following.  ;-)

There are "tonnes" of threads discussing flights above large open bodies of water.
Some of the most delightful videos are those ones, with great water scenes and wonderful natural surroundings.

RedHotPoker
2017-7-11
Use props
Mckay
New
United States

RedHotPoker Posted at 2017-7-11 12:31
Yes, the onboard LED orientation lights are quite adequate for most night flights, that are relatively close to your home point.
But they do have visibility distance limitations, even at night.

Great, thanks for your input.
2017-7-11
Use props
smig
lvl.2
United Kingdom

can I ask whats VSP? as I may be going over water myself, lakes and at the beach.
sorry to jump on post

thanks
2017-7-11
Use props
iFlyMyDrone.com
lvl.4
Flight distance : 740548 ft
United States

Always take off more than 60 ft. from the water. If you reach critically low battery and automatic RTH initiates within 60 ft. the drone will just land where it is. If that is over water...
2017-7-11
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

smig Posted at 2017-7-11 12:59
can I ask whats VSP? as I may be going over water myself, lakes and at the beach.
sorry to jump on post

VPS vision position sensors two sensors underneath body of AC, if flying low over moving water or untextured ground can have a destabilising effect on aircraft, so many switch off in these flying conditions
2017-7-11
Use props
racer888
lvl.3
Flight distance : 99970 ft
United States

smig Posted at 2017-7-11 12:59
sorry to jump on post

It is vision positioning sensing (VPS). You can turn off the downward sensors so they don't make the drone go nuts when flying over water. I turn them off if I am going to get within 20 feet of the water.
2017-7-11
Use props
smig
lvl.2
United Kingdom

where do ya do that?
2017-7-11
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

smig Posted at 2017-7-11 13:58
where do ya do that?

In the app. Please "go" through the app, and make a mental note where all important controls and user friendly parameters can be changed and adjusted to your personal flying choices.

Having complete control over your drone and RC will better help save you from possible disaters down the road. ;-)

The other obvious suggestion is to thoroughly go over the manual. In other words RTFM!!

The more you know in advance, the better prepared you will be, incase. . .

RedHotPoker

2017-7-11
Use props
racer888
lvl.3
Flight distance : 99970 ft
United States

smig Posted at 2017-7-11 13:58
where do ya do that?

No offense meant here but this is why we see so many people with problems and complaining about the AC. People just rip the drone out of the box and try to fly it instead of sitting down and reading the manual. A good suggestion by RedHotPoker to get familiar with the controls, settings and where to make the adjustments. Personally I took mine out on the porch and turned it on (no props) and went through almost two batteries going through all the app menus and making notes where everything is located. If you are flying and there is a problem you need to be able to get to the correct menu to change settings. Understand how RTH works and how to cancel it or you will find yourself in panic mode sooner or later!
2017-7-12
Use props
smig
lvl.2
United Kingdom

racer888 Posted at 2017-7-12 04:43
No offense meant here but this is why we see so many people with problems and complaining about the AC. People just rip the drone out of the box and try to fly it instead of sitting down and reading the manual. A good suggestion by RedHotPoker to get familiar with the controls, settings and where to make the adjustments. Personally I took mine out on the porch and turned it on (no props) and went through almost two batteries going through all the app menus and making notes where everything is located. If you are flying and there is a problem you need to be able to get to the correct menu to change settings. Understand how RTH works and how to cancel it or you will find yourself in panic mode sooner or later!

no offence taken, but do you not think I have done that, I am just after some advice here. I spend near 1500 quid on a drone I am not going to want any damage to come to it. I have read through the manual but still some features I dont understand like I say I am new to them. U have watched numerous tutorial videos ect before buying and numerous since I have bought it to try teach me how to do.. but there is no better than experience and learning from other peoples experience.
2017-7-12
Use props
Adam Flurk
lvl.4
Flight distance : 425466 ft
United States

Hmm.. Interesting reading about some people turning this off when flying over water, etc.. I've literally never turned mine off and now wondering if perhaps I am missing out on something, lol. I've flown at the beach many times and over water many times.. Never had a problem. Going to have to check into this...

2017-7-12
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

Adam Flurk Posted at 2017-7-12 13:14
Hmm.. Interesting reading about some people turning this off when flying over water, etc.. I've literally never turned mine off and now wondering if perhaps I am missing out on something, lol. I've flown at the beach many times and over water many times.. Never had a problem. Going to have to check into this...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eyaZ_eJ5Mwg&t=20s

Adam, I always enjoy watching your wonderful videos. I only wish you would post more, often. ;-)

RedHotPoker
2017-7-12
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

racer888 Posted at 2017-7-12 04:43

RTFM!! Can't stress this enough. As it goes without saying, to everyone. Also please understand that some parameters do change, and their descriptions may be noted, or not, in the PDF manual.
The other thought is to always go through your preferential settings, after doing an app or firmware update. RTH height is an important one to check, even before every flight. Make that one of your preflight check points.

RedHotPoker
2017-7-12
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

smig Posted at 2017-7-12 12:16
no offence taken, but do you not think I have done that, I am just after some advice here. I spend near 1500 quid on a drone I am not going to want any damage to come to it. I have read through the manual but still some features I dont understand like I say I am new to them. U have watched numerous tutorial videos ect before buying and numerous since I have bought it to try teach me how to do.. but there is no better than experience and learning from other peoples experience.

I am happy to see you are being a conscientious drone pilot.  ;-)
Yes it's true that there are many omissions in our owners operator manuals.
So it is imperative to ask numerous questions and fill in many of those blanks, DJI failed to divulge. . .

RedHotPoker
2017-7-12
Use props
RicardoGray
lvl.4
Flight distance : 4356421 ft
United States

Adam Flurk Posted at 2017-7-12 13:14

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eyaZ_eJ5Mwg&t=20s

Cool videos! Nice job.
2017-7-12
Use props
Lectro88
lvl.2
Flight distance : 286411 ft

United States

Adam very nice video.
Thanks for sharing.
2017-7-13
Use props
Adam Flurk
lvl.4
Flight distance : 425466 ft
United States

RedHotPoker Posted at 2017-7-12 14:16
Adam, I always enjoy watching your wonderful videos. I only wish you would post more, often. ;-)

RHP - Thanks for the kind words! It's been a bit too hot in Florida lately for me to get out and have fun with the P3P. iPad does not like the heat! Thanks again!
2017-7-13
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

Adam Flurk Posted at 2017-7-13 09:26
RHP - Thanks for the kind words! It's been a bit too hot in Florida lately for me to get out and have fun with the P3P. iPad does not like the heat! Thanks again!

Ah yes, the glorious Florida cast.

You need a large umbrella to sit under, or better yet, fly at night after it cools den a little.. ;-)

Been hot here too, but nothing like what you are used to, we have been hovering around +30*C
Thankfully it's raining now, to help cool it off for the warm night ahead.

RedHotPoker
2017-7-13
Use props
Lectro88
lvl.2

United States

I didn't notice both vids were yours Adam, I was in a hurry to watch the fountain 1st and planned to watch other later tonight after work which is what I've done.
And was going to ask what state you were in not to ask too much info but another answered in a prev. reply.  With the moss hanging I was thinking Louisiana, which you'd be braver than me being on tubes or Ga, Fla.
Anyway great videos, Thanks again for sharing.
2017-7-13
Use props
Lectro88
lvl.2

United States

Couldn't edit after 2 minutes so heres what I didn't put in. or missed.
I was in a hurry to watch the fountain video 1st before work and planned ......

Sorry folks.
2017-7-13
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules