82685 411 2017-7-11
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
OneMatt
lvl.3
Flight distance : 155984 ft
Canada

rickysuperdog Posted at 2017-7-11 20:44
For gesture mode, palm take off and flying without connecting to RC or smartphone. Does the compass issue still affect such users ? How can they avoid compass error issue or they are immune ?

Thanks

Yes, it still affects gesture mode users. No it gives no warning. Yes, it will fly away.
2017-7-29
Use props
rickysuperdog
lvl.4
Flight distance : 929429 ft
Hong Kong

OneMatt Posted at 2017-7-29 09:03
Yes, it still affects gesture mode users. No it gives no warning. Yes, it will fly away.

Thanks for your clarify.
2017-7-29
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

OneMatt Posted at 2017-7-29 09:03

You are now advised to have device connected to spark when using gesture or palm control.
2017-7-30
Use props
OneMatt
lvl.3
Flight distance : 155984 ft
Canada

hallmark007 Posted at 2017-7-30 01:51
You are now advised to have device connected to spark when using gesture or palm control.

Tell DJI that. They bill this is a selfie drone, no connection required.

If they are going to sell that, then it shouldnt become dangerous in that mode.
2017-7-30
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

OneMatt Posted at 2017-7-30 04:35
Tell DJI that. They bill this is a selfie drone, no connection required.

If they are going to sell that, then it shouldnt become dangerous in that mode.

All drones are dangerous in the wrong hands, safety should be paramount always, failsafe's and redundancy are never a bad thing to use when you can.
2017-7-30
Use props
Old Sparky
lvl.1
Flight distance : 220577 ft
United States

2 minutes of a 12-14 minute flight is a considerable amount of time.
2017-8-1
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Old Sparky Posted at 2017-8-1 04:07
2 minutes of a 12-14 minute flight is a considerable amount of time.

Well it will take you almost 1 minute to warm up IMU and get gps lock, it's your aircraft if you feel you don't need to check that's entirely up to you, there are many here who haven't checked before they fly and much of those lost spark could have been avoided.
2017-8-1
Use props
Szwedu
lvl.4
Flight distance : 378114 ft
Poland

hallmark007 Posted at 2017-7-30 04:45
All drones are dangerous in the wrong hands, safety should be paramount always, failsafe's and redundancy are never a bad thing to use when you can.

yes , but that sill don't explain that DJI sell this as a first time drone and for some reason DJI did't do this check list , only you , a normal spark user like me and him.. So if a NORMAL person "stick" to what see in the ad's and read in the manual he is kind of ... on the lost position . Even if he will NOT do any calibrations if not needed , he still can lost his drone from no reason KNOWN and will don't have a AC ( far flyaway or water) AND no log on the device (if palm launch). Potential user is not in the way of KNOWING THIS .
2017-8-2
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Szwedu Posted at 2017-8-2 14:28
yes , but that sill don't explain that DJI sell this as a first time drone and for some reason DJI did't do this check list , only you , a normal spark user like me and him.. So if a NORMAL person "stick" to what see in the ad's and read in the manual he is kind of ... on the lost position . Even if he will NOT do any calibrations if not needed , he still can lost his drone from no reason KNOWN and will don't have a AC ( far flyaway or water) AND no log on the device (if palm launch). Potential user is not in the way of KNOWING THIS .

I didn't see anywhere advertised that this is a first time drone, also if you pay €500 for something then respect it, your are asked first before you fly to read the manual, in your manual it clearly tells you to fly in suitable environments not close to buildings not over water. It tells you clearly not to calibrate compass unless prompted. It has beginner mode for those who have never flown before and it has age limit of 16, there comes a time in everyone's life when we must be responsible for what we do and how we do it, I don't think dji should be or need to be responsible for adults wanting to use their drones.

We don't need to make excuses for those who have not prepared properly and gone out and crashed their drones, let people take ownership of their own mistakes.

For those who have lost drones because of malfunction then this is dji's responsibility.

2017-8-2
Use props
Szwedu
lvl.4
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 2017-8-2 16:36
I didn't see anywhere advertised that this is a first time drone, also if you pay €500 for something then respect it, your are asked first before you fly to read the manual, in your manual it clearly tells you to fly in suitable environments not close to buildings not over water. It tells you clearly not to calibrate compass unless prompted. It has beginner mode for those who have never flown before and it has age limit of 16, there comes a time in everyone's life when we must be responsible for what we do and how we do it, I don't think dji should be or need to be responsible for adults wanting to use their drones.

We don't need to make excuses for those who have not prepared properly and gone out and crashed their drones, let people take ownership of their own mistakes.

Yes you are right , but still of the Subject i am all about.  Even if you do all this  as you stated , in case of palm  launch  you ask for problems  that DJI dont talk about . I think in manual 1.2 or 1.4 there is a line where "it is advised to be connected to a controller in palm launch"  but in the  advert you see man on a bridge lunching from his palm , now in real life this can end up in a fatal crash for spark in  good amount of cases . we have reports that after palm launch it drifts etc. and than no care refresh for you . I don't know why you try on every subject to act like DJI personel stating that it was a user error etc. Its your action's, not my interest but remember there are always two sides of a coin.
2017-8-2
Use props
moh_rafiudeen
lvl.3
Flight distance : 328957 ft
United States

ThanK you so much, i do it everytime i take off my Spark!!
2017-8-2
Use props
Phuong Do
lvl.4
Flight distance : 29800 ft
Vietnam

Szwedu Posted at 2017-8-2 21:47
Yes you are right , but still of the Subject i am all about.  Even if you do all this  as you stated , in case of palm  launch  you ask for problems  that DJI dont talk about . I think in manual 1.2 or 1.4 there is a line where "it is advised to be connected to a controller in palm launch"  but in the  advert you see man on a bridge lunching from his palm , now in real life this can end up in a fatal crash for spark in  good amount of cases . we have reports that after palm launch it drifts etc. and than no care refresh for you . I don't know why you try on every subject to act like DJI personel stating that it was a user error etc. Its your action's, not my interest but remember there are always two sides of a coin.

I couldn't agree with you more. But that is the purpose of marketing, to show you that life is heaven...
I also agree with your example, but DJI does not lie, you can really palm launch like in the promo video, but it is advisable to connect to a phone. So, I don't think there is anything to blame DJI here.
2017-8-2
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Szwedu Posted at 2017-8-2 21:47

I once purchased a Mac Pro laptop , because I seen in advertising that it could do some great video and photography editing.
When I received my Mac Pro, I soon realised that in order to make beautiful videos and photographs I would need to read all I could practice as much as I could before I could even get close to the to what the guy in the video was producing , this is the way advertising works.

I don't think every malfunction and crash is user error and I have never said that, just the same with all technology products there are always some which are defective and these are the responsibility of the company's to put right
2017-8-3
Use props
Szwedu
lvl.4
Poland

hallmark007 Posted at 2017-8-3 00:32
I once purchased a Mac Pro laptop , because I seen in advertising that it could do some great video and photography editing.
When I received my Mac Pro, I soon realised that in order to make beautiful videos and photographs I would need to read all I could practice as much as I could before I could even get close to the to what the guy in the video was producing , this is the way advertising works.

fair enough . I also think that most of spark crashes are operator flout . bat not all.
2017-8-3
Use props
小仙女的星巴克
lvl.4
Flight distance : 4657841 ft
  • >>>
United States

Great info! I always let my ACs hovering for a while before take off to new heights. Living in a City full of WiFi interferences, also need to check the WiFi Channels.
2017-8-3
Use props
Bakhtiar
lvl.1

Indonesia

I just bought DJI Spark ... before I have never flown this aircraft, but after trying to use the Smartphone Lenovo VIBE P1a42 successfully entered the ...
2017-8-4
Use props
Robert12345
lvl.1
Flight distance : 99885 ft
Slovenia

my new drone Spark  stopped working at about 30 meters and fell to the ground, has anyone ever happened  this?
2017-8-11
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Robert12345 Posted at 2017-8-11 13:09
my new drone Spark  stopped working at about 30 meters and fell to the ground, has anyone ever happened  this?

https://forum.dji.com/forum.php? ... &fromuid=260008

Try this link.
2017-8-11
Use props
Hashtagijustfar
lvl.1
Flight distance : 6565 ft
United States

Shouldn't you calibrate the compass when ever you change locations???
2017-8-13
Use props
ImHereToCrash
Second Officer
Flight distance : 5381368 ft
  • >>>
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 2017-8-1 07:00
Well it will take you almost 1 minute to warm up IMU and get gps lock, it's your aircraft if you feel you don't need to check that's entirely up to you, there are many here who haven't checked before they fly and much of those lost spark could have been avoided.

no warm up time for spark...  IMUs and compass dont seem to want it or need it, i guess they aren't thermally referenced like much higher end DJi drones.  the only waiting time is GPS lock and more often you play with the spark and use it, the less time it takes waiting for the GPS locks..  usually 30 seconds at most...
2017-8-13
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Hashtagijustfar Posted at 2017-8-13 17:59
Shouldn't you calibrate the compass when ever you change locations???

No need to calibrate compass, if it needs calibration it will prompt you.
2017-8-14
Use props
SpiderPilot
lvl.1
Flight distance : 149144 ft
United States

Just to make sure I understand, 2 minutes of preflight on less than 10 minutes of battery time?
2017-8-15
Use props
Thor1
lvl.4
Flight distance : 196837 ft
Canada

SpiderPilot Posted at 2017-8-15 07:35
Just to make sure I understand, 2 minutes of preflight on less than 10 minutes of battery time?

its up to your own discretion, this is just a helpful tip, take it or leave it. its worth it for a $500 drone in my opinion.
2017-8-15
Use props
Charles Adams
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3821312 ft
  • >>>
United States

SpiderPilot Posted at 2017-8-15 07:35

In my experience it goes faster than two minutes.  If it does take a while, that's an indicator that something is not right, and that the pilot should evaluate the circumstances carefully.

When I was just starting out I tried to fly a P3S with compass errors and gps warnings.  OMG!  Most stressful five minutes of my flight life!  I'll never ignore warnings again.
2017-8-15
Use props
amd
lvl.2
Flight distance : 231335 ft
Lithuania

hallmark007 Posted at 2017-8-3 00:32

Golden words
2017-8-15
Use props
KeltikCanuk
lvl.1
Flight distance : 52562 ft
Canada

By "prompted to" do you mean a warning in the AC status bar in DJI Go 4? Or just flashing red/yellow status lights? I think I might have been calibrating too often, but have had no bad effects as yet.
2017-8-15
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

KeltikCanuk Posted at 2017-8-15 08:30
By "prompted to" do you mean a warning in the AC status bar in DJI Go 4? Or just flashing red/yellow status lights? I think I might have been calibrating too often, but have had no bad effects as yet.

The most common warning you will see is move aircraft or calibrate compass, just move aircraft, if you get a warning telling you to calibrate compass it will pop up on the warning screen while Imu is warming, you will see a box saying calibrate in white if this changes to red/blue then you should calibrate, if it's white then your fine.
2017-8-15
Use props
bapski
lvl.3
Flight distance : 56171 ft
United States

this should make a nice cheat sheet for me.
2017-8-15
Use props
Hashtagijustfar
lvl.1
Flight distance : 6565 ft
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 2017-8-14 00:32

I just do it because I always want to make sure I know which way is north so it is just personal preference
2017-8-15
Use props
TuanMVu
New
Vietnam

When I removed the wing guard, the latch button was broken,  Can anyone help me buy it somewhere, I just bought the machine 2 hours, I feel very sad
kopterdreams-TZ404 (12).jpg
2017-8-22
Use props
TuanMVu
New
Vietnam

2017-8-22
Use props
Connor-UK
lvl.2
Flight distance : 202549 ft
United Kingdom

When I took the Spark to Crete, the Villa I was in had big aircon units and these caused magnetic issues, I also did get asked to recalibrate compass, which I did fine.

I did the IMU before I went, but wouldn't have bothered as I just read to do it, but feel now with other advice I shouldn't have.
2017-8-22
Use props
Ardenno
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1877910 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

I had compass error today. Close to buildings 170 m from home point but AC switch to ATTI mode and I got control, back safely and landed. Next time I will be more careful with this before fly  far I do some drone exercise movements
2017-8-22
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Ardenno Posted at 2017-8-22 14:21
I had compass error today. Close to buildings 170 m from home point  but AC switch to ATTI mode and I got control, back safely and landed. Next time I will be more careful with this before fly  far I do some drone exercise movements

Good job...
2017-8-22
Use props
STech - Hathder
lvl.4
Flight distance : 459094 ft
Brazil

Ardenno Posted at 2017-8-22 14:21
I had compass error today. Close to buildings 170 m from home point  but AC switch to ATTI mode and I got control, back safely and landed. Next time I will be more careful with this before fly  far I do some drone exercise movements

With new firmware .600?
2017-8-22
Use props
Ardenno
lvl.4
  • >>>
Ireland

Nope, this was version before latest firmware  update.
2017-8-24
Use props
Shafanjum
lvl.1
Flight distance : 5154 ft
India

Hellow friends, i am experiencing Compass error in my Dji spark , it happend due to a minor crash, however i did factory reset, tried in diffrent location where no magnetic interference, multiple periods etc  but the problm still exist. Can any one help? Is this any hardware damage? I am in indian..appreicte ur help
Screenshot_20170825-142310.png
2017-8-28
Use props
Ardenno
lvl.4
  • >>>
Ireland

What's mean minor crash? Did you tried calibrate compass?  Did you speak with DJI support?
2017-9-1
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Shafanjum Posted at 2017-8-28 23:17
Hellow friends, i am experiencing Compass error in my Dji spark , it happend due to a minor crash, however i did factory reset, tried in diffrent location where no magnetic interference, multiple periods etc  but the problm still exist. Can any one help? Is this any hardware damage? I am in indian..appreicte ur help

You need to give more information, where are you taking off from, where did you calibrate your aircraft.
The warning you are receiving is to move aircraft and start your launch procedure again.
2017-9-1
Use props
MiniMoke
lvl.1
Flight distance : 7372 ft
Australia

hallmark007 Posted at 2017-8-14 00:32

I didn't realise this.  Because the Go 4 app starts with the status panel open where the compass has a [calibrate] option it sort of invites you to re-calibrate every flight.

In the future I'll only respond to warnings on the panel   
2017-9-10
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules