Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Goggles Functionality Crippled by DJI
1368 9 2017-7-11
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Towlie
lvl.1
Flight distance : 597795 ft
United States

I bought these with the idea they were a replacement for the controller.
I even remember a DJI spokesman saying before that they are intended so that the drone can be used without the controller.
Now I'm finding out they crippled the range with the goggles unless you attach a phone to the controller and load up the DJI 4 app first.

The DJI 4 app lags, it crashes, it pops up all kinds of annoying warnings, it's prone to interruption.

I'm really disappointed by this.
Please fix the goggles DJI.
2017-7-11
Use props
DennisMurry08
Captain
Flight distance : 5948264 ft
  • >>>
United States

Go to the thread Goggle activation...just a couple lines down from your thread...about 2/3 down the conversation this sort of came up...about attaching the phone and starting the app. Natalia from DJI answered some confusion..maybe that will help?
2017-7-12
Use props
Towlie
lvl.1
United States

DennisMurry08 Posted at 2017-7-12 08:03
Go to the thread Goggle activation...just a couple lines down from your thread...about 2/3 down the conversation this sort of came up...about attaching the phone and starting the app. Natalia from DJI answered some confusion..maybe that will help?

I read through the thread.  All I see her saying is a validation of what I just said above.  DJI is forcing you to connect your DJI 4 app every time you use your drone w/ Goggles.  That's extremely complicated and cumbersome to deal with.

That means I have to connect my phone, login to the phone's security, put it in airplane mode, put in do not disturb mode, wait for the DJI 4 app to load(very slow process), hope it doesn't crash, go through all those annoying warnings on the app.  

It's ridiculous!  I want to get away from the requirement of having a phone at all. I don't want DJI babysitting me every time I fly this thing.  I just want to fly it the way I need to fly it.  The battery only lasts 27 min.  I shouldn't have to waste that time waiting on their bloatware.
2017-7-12
Use props
rnrnrn
Second Officer
Flight distance : 430932 ft
Germany

Towlie Posted at 2017-7-12 09:33
I read through the thread.  All I see her saying is a validation of what I just said above.  DJI is forcing you to connect your DJI 4 app every time you use your drone w/ Goggles.  That's extremely complicated and cumbersome to deal with.

That means I have to connect my phone, login to the phone's security, put it in airplane mode, put in do not disturb mode, wait for the DJI 4 app to load(very slow process), hope it doesn't crash, go through all those annoying warnings on the app.  

I do get your point. That should not be necessary as the googles pretty much also use a DJI app version. A few things are a bit strange though:

- why would you put the phone on do not disturb after airplane mode? not necessary as such

- that's a bit strange as well that the DJI Go4 app loads slowly on your device - what kind of a device is it?

- you don't have to hope for the DJI Go4 app not to crash - if it crashes you can continue your flight without any interruptions - it's only necessary after starting the drone for verification that you're logged it - afterwards it can crash all it wants and this will not affect your flight.

Just my 2 cents ;-) Cheers!
2017-7-12
Use props
Towlie
lvl.1
United States

rnrnrn Posted at 2017-7-12 09:37
I do get your point. That should not be necessary as the googles pretty much also use a DJI app version. A few things are a bit strange though:

- why would you put the phone on do not disturb after airplane mode? not necessary as such

I put it in do not disturb because I'm had calendar events trigger on the phone and minimize the app in flight.

I have a Motorola Turbo 2.  It's a fairly fast phone.  Only a few years old now.

I understand that if it crashes I can continue the flight.  Although it can be annoying if the mavic is a mile out and you can't see anything.  You can always throw it into return to home mode from the remote. That's about it.  Also this is not so much about the worry of having it crash afterwards as much as it is that you need to connect the phone and deal with all that cumbersome work before your drone will fly.

I don't need DJI restricting me if I'm too high, too far, near a NFZ etc.  Just give me a warning in the corner of the screen that doesn't block out all of the useful stuff.  The software has no idea what the real world conditions are.  For example I was flying from the ground at the base of a mountain and hit the altitude limit but wasn't even higher than the top of the mountain.  That stuff needs to be pulled out of the way of the pilot.
2017-7-12
Use props
khobeegibson
lvl.1
Flight distance : 198547 ft
Canada

me too, i hope DJI will correct this...  
2017-7-12
Use props
rnrnrn
Second Officer
Flight distance : 430932 ft
Germany

Towlie Posted at 2017-7-12 10:16
I put it in do not disturb because I'm had calendar events trigger on the phone and minimize the app in flight.

I have a Motorola Turbo 2.  It's a fairly fast phone.  Only a few years old now.

Fair enough - your device should be cable of handling all the app can throw at it. I don't know the Motorola software by heart but if you have a "power saving" mode on it I would advise to disable that. It shouldn't be necessary but I've seen it make a difference on the Samsungs.

About the app crashing - as long as you have the goggles connected directly to the Mavic you shouldn't need the app running all the time on the phone connected to the controller. Correct me if I'm wrong but you should have the video feed in the goggles either way constantly. Correct?

As for the DJI controlling stuff - correct all the way, I don't need it either. But... oh well ;-)
2017-7-12
Use props
DennisMurry08
Captain
  • >>>
United States

Towlie Posted at 2017-7-12 09:33

Right..that's why I asked her to clarify...i didn't know that until that thread got started and my goggles are set to deliver tomorrow.....
2017-7-12
Use props
Towlie
lvl.1
United States

rnrnrn Posted at 2017-7-12 15:30
Fair enough - your device should be cable of handling all the app can throw at it. I don't know the Motorola software by heart but if you have a "power saving" mode on it I would advise to disable that. It shouldn't be necessary but I've seen it make a difference on the Samsungs.

About the app crashing - as long as you have the goggles connected directly to the Mavic you shouldn't need the app running all the time on the phone connected to the controller. Correct me if I'm wrong but you should have the video feed in the goggles either way constantly. Correct?

My Turbo 2's power saving mode only turns on when the phone is around 10% or you enable it manually through the settings.  It stays on until you plug it in again.  It wasn't in power saving during this issue.

Yes I have the video feed in the goggles.   Don't get me wrong I don't care if the app crashes while I'm using the goggles unless of course I'm flying and someone else is viewing but that's another scenario all together.  The fact that the app crashes is another reason why they should give us the ability to ditch it all together via the goggles.  It really stinks that DJI made this choice to require it if you want to go out any reasonable distance.
2017-7-12
Use props
DennisMurry08
Captain
  • >>>
United States

Ok..I got the goggles and after activating, which I had to do through the Go app, I don't have to use that app anymore....just turn on Mavic, controller then goggles and then fly....but to activate you will go through a few " next" items then it says "activate goggles"... i touched the side panel to ok and it just sat there then said failed to activate, try again..so I did only this time I happened to look on my iPad screen and it also said activate gogggles...so I did it on the app and was live in just a few seconds..I disconnected the iPad as I don't  use it with the goggles.....
2017-7-15
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules