Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Goggles...flawed design
1688 12 2017-7-12
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
rmaxwell.dccnet
First Officer
Flight distance : 698661 ft
  • >>>
Canada

I received my goggles and found that I could not focus on the virtural image that appears to requrire your eyes to focus at about 10 to 12 inches.  I am 72 and cannot focus that close without reading glasses or bifocals.  The first soloution is to put a diopter adjustment like all binoculars have so that a person can adjust to their eyesight.  Another solution is to design the optics so that the eyes are allowed to focus at infinity.  This is done on many optical sytems I have used.  This would allow people with glasses to look through the distance correction of their lenses and have proper focus.

I fixed this problem by purchasing a set of reading glasses and cutting them apart and mounting the 2.5 diaopter lenses in the goggles.  This happens to be the correction I need to focus at that distance.  Your exact diopter correction will vary.

Given the outstanding design of the rest of the system, it is hard for me to imagine how the DJI engineers could have overlooked this flaw.  If everyone was 12 years old and can foucus at this distance they would work fine.  Many of your users are not 12 years old!!!

DJI should change this design.  It is very much amateur design.

Ray

Retired Engineer who has designed many electronic and optical systems.
2017-7-12
Use props
LIVNXXL
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1806125 ft
  • >>>
United States

or you could have just put on the glasses whenever you use the goggles as they are "Engineered to be used with glasses in case you need them

2017-7-12
Use props
rmaxwell.dccnet
First Officer
Flight distance : 698661 ft
  • >>>
Canada

LIVNXXL Posted at 2017-7-12 12:10
or you could have just put on the glasses whenever you use the goggles as they are "Engineered to be used with glasses in case you need them

You clearly don't understand the error in the design.  I wear varifocal glasses that correct my astigmatism.  The near correction is in the lower part of the lens. The image in the goggles appears in the upper part of my vision that is correct for far vision.  I then have to add diopter correction for near vision to bring the image into focus.  This is poor design.  They don't understand the correct optics for all users.

Ray
2017-7-12
Use props
LIVNXXL
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1806125 ft
  • >>>
United States

rmaxwell.dccnet Posted at 2017-7-12 13:49
You clearly don't understand the error in the design.  I wear varifocal glasses that correct my astigmatism.  The near correction is in the lower part of the lens. The image in the goggles appears in the upper part of my vision that is correct for far vision.  I then have to add diopter correction for near vision to bring the image into focus.  This is poor design.  They don't understand the correct optics for all users.

Ray

I do understand, Love the tech talk for Bifocals, sounds very impressive. How many types of adjustment would you like to see engineered into the goggles. With all the goggles now on the market ,which ones are you going to replace the DJI ones with as I am sure you must have found the ones that are engineered specifically for your eyesight. You could have single focus glasses for wearing the goggles or the rest of the people who purchase the Newly engineered goggles that work for various vision problems can pay more for all the extra engineering they don't need. I understand your frustration but these things are big enough without putting more into them.
2017-7-13
Use props
Morawka
lvl.1
Flight distance : 206276 ft
United States

LIVNXXL Posted at 2017-7-13 11:16
I do understand, Love the tech talk for Bifocals, sounds very impressive. How many types of adjustment would you like to see engineered into the goggles. With all the goggles now on the market ,which ones are you going to replace the DJI ones with as I am sure you must have found the ones that are engineered specifically for your eyesight. You could have single focus glasses for wearing the goggles or the rest of the people who purchase the Newly engineered goggles that work for various vision problems can pay more for all the extra engineering they don't need. I understand your frustration but these things are big enough without putting more into them.

i think he's wanting a depth adjustment similar to what the HTC Vive has. This works by moving the lenses closer/further from the LCD Screens/Mirrors.  This will account for near and farsighted people, and for his glasses.

The biggest flaw i see with the goggles is the recording limitation.  The Mavic won't record 4K video while using the goggles unless you dig through the menu's and set it to 720p30 which is a bad experience, bad quality,  and will most likely make you sick.   If i want to use 720p60 or 1080p30 on the goggles (which are the only two good quality options), i have to record in 1080p on the drone.  As you probably already know, the mavic's camera records poor at 1080p due to the codec and the camera being optimised for 4k
2017-7-13
Use props
GreyBird
lvl.1
United States

I'm 63 and not even gonna mess with it. They are not Bright enough, though I set Brightness to full; they are totally mushy in either Smooth or high resolution modes. I'll wait for the next iteration.
2017-7-15
Use props
GreyBird
lvl.1
United States

LIVNXXL Posted at 2017-7-12 12:10

Yeah, but even that doesn't work... I tried a bunch of ways to get a good visual experience, and ... it's not happening.
2017-7-15
Use props
Woodwanger
Second Officer
United Kingdom

I totally agree they are flawed, I was looking forward to getting them as many others have but after reading about these problems I will not be getting them, I do not currently need glasses I am 50 but saying that If I wanted to share my experience with friends and family I would then need to carry around a box of glasses what a joke and a load of hassle before you even start which I personally can do without!
I cannot believe they got it so wrong!   
2017-7-16
Use props
LotusFan
lvl.1
Flight distance : 48783 ft
United States

I feel the focal distance is slightly closer than you would read a book, perhaps 8", so I plan to hit the local CVS and buy one size stronger than I normally use for reading.

I too, expected "infinity" focus distance on a set of goggles, but this is my first experience with any goggles at all.
2017-7-16
Use props
fansc17c3455
lvl.3
Flight distance : 3740 ft
  • >>>
United States

Thank-you for your observation...I am a Director of Photography and diopter adjustments in viewfinders are expected in any professional viewing system. I hope I am able to workaround this problem with glasses or another lens...Otherwise this system is unusable and non-professional.
2017-7-24
Use props
Capo
lvl.3
Flight distance : 178196 ft
United States

Yeah, I find the focal distance way too short as well. I have an astigmatism, and I have to wear an additional set of lenses in front of my glasses in order to see things clearly. Infinity focal distance would have been much better to use. Most people have glasses that can do that, or at least arm's length so you can see the controller and hands when you flip up the glasses.
2017-7-24
Use props
RotorTalk
lvl.1
Flight distance : 628392 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Exactly the same problem boy how utterly disappointing! I got my Goggles today, linked them up, raise them to my eyes in tense anticipation and what do I get?  Blurred image with NO options to fix - no focussing only IPD.  Now for a company that just acquired part of Hasselblad that's not good.  I'm stunned... give me a day or two and I'll decide if they are going back for a refund.  Oh my sight?  I'm long sighted but use separate prescriptions for close and distance...  At least with My Epson BT-300 Movarios they supply a blank lens holder that you can then have a prescription fitted to!  Well done Epson.
2017-7-25
Use props
fansd8b16a94
New
Flight distance : 530449 ft
Germany

Sadly you're absolutely right. Having glasses with different dioptries for each eye I had hoped for a system with focus at infinity. My other pair of glasses is multifocal - so the lower fifth of the virtual screen is ok but everything above's just blurry.

Hey, DJI, who came up with this design glitch? Even standard reading binoculars won't do, one needs full size glasses to have free view. Add the price for these and it makes for a real expensive set of fpv goggles indeed.
2017-7-26
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules