Discharge batteries before going on plane?
7064 7 2017-7-13
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Dronelivier
lvl.2
Netherlands

On 15 July I will have an easyjet flight from Amsterdam, Netherlands to Nice, France

Of course I want to take my P4P with me to France, to capture the beautiful French Mediterranean coast. I've already contacted easyjet about their regulations. There's one thing however that I still haven't found a clear answer to:

Should I discharge the batteries before boarding my flight, and if so, to what percentage?
2017-7-13
Use props
Geebax
First Officer
Australia

The airline doesn't care and the staff won't know either. You can show them the status lights, but frankly I would not bother. Even if you did discharge the batteries to say 30%, they can still retain enough charge to be dangerous anyway.
2017-7-13
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Halfway down this page Easyjet give you their Lithium Batteries policy:  https://www.easyjet.com/en/terms-and-conditions/dangerous-goods

Like all other airlines, there's no mention of discharging the batteries.
That's a myth you only hear in forums,
2017-7-13
Use props
Dronelivier
lvl.2
Netherlands

Thank you all for your responses. My batteries are currently at 50% for storage purposes. I'll just tape off the contacts of the batteries, place the batteries in a vacuum bag* and place the vacuum bag including the batteries in a LiPo bag. Sounds like the safest I can possibly get

2017-7-14
Use props
Mobilcams
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2907674 ft
United States

Labroides Posted at 2017-7-13 16:14
Halfway down this page Easyjet give you their Lithium Batteries policy:  https://www.easyjet.com/en/terms-and-conditions/dangerous-goods

Like all other airlines, there's no mention of discharging the batteries.

Labroides,

You are one of my favorite guys in the forums.. I have to respectfully disagree with you on this.. First, when the batteries are discharged they are A LOT less volitile because they don't have all that energy stored up (explosive energy - any fire on a plane is dangerous, remember what a little old Samsung Note did on an airplane?)... Second, it is not a myth - it is found in the intelligent battery safety guidelines - in two different spots as a matter of fact..

Capture2.JPG
Capture.JPG
2017-7-14
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Mobilcams Posted at 2017-7-14 02:21
Labroides,

You are one of my favorite guys in the forums.. I have to respectfully disagree with you on this.. First, when the batteries are discharged they are A LOT less volitile because they don't have all that energy stored up (explosive energy - any fire on a plane is dangerous, remember what a little old Samsung Note did on an airplane?)... Second, it is not a myth - it is found in the intelligent battery safety guidelines - in two different spots as a matter of fact..

That note in DJI's battery guidelines is in line with the IATA guidelines for shipping Lithium Batteries:  https://www.iata.org/whatwedo/ca ... ocument-2017-en.pdf
That also mentions shipping in a state of discharge but this is for lithium batteries shipped as freight rather than carried by passengers.
Every airline I've checked take their battery policy from the FAA guidelines which make no mention of discharge levels.
I've not heard of any airline or airport security people showing any concern about travelling with partially discharged batteries.
If they did for Phantom owners, they would also have to for Laptops, iPads, cameras, etc, etc.
Can you imagine how that would work out at airports?
2017-7-14
Use props
fans2a188a86
lvl.2
Flight distance : 481677 ft
  • >>>
United States

Three fully charged Phantom batteries contain the same amount of energy as a stick of dynamite. Regardless of any requirements, flying with discharged batteries is safer.
2017-7-14
Use props
Dronelivier
lvl.2
Netherlands

Found this video that explains how to transport drones on planes in depth. It advises me to discharge to 30% (10:00). I think I'm just going to do that. Just to be safe.
2017-7-14
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules