Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
DJI please listen to your consumers.
12Next >
2798 43 2017-7-14
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
JoeCec
First Officer
Flight distance : 3491430 ft
  • >>>
United States

I write this as an owner of the Spark, Mavic, and Inspire 2. I am 100% on board with your Mavic and Inspire platforms, and I think you knocked it out of the park and too the moon with the Mavic!

I have never had so much confidence in one of your products as I have the Mavic.

With that being said, the Spark is, in my opinion, is still in need of serious R and D. I hate to admit but everything that has been hyped up about the Spark is absolutely dreadful to use. I would never launch the Spark on the side of a mountain. I would never have it perform a selfie fly away in fear it would actually fly away. Return to Home has so many factors effecting its performance and the WiFi connection is so easily manipulated by outside factors that connection is easily broken.

For the price point and lack of controller on the base model it opens a world of pain for a new drone user that this product may actually force many away.

Now for the positives...I guess:

The Spark when fully connected is smooth and stable.
Sport mode is fun and exciting..... BUT... The gimbal locks out quickly causing field of view disruptions and sport mode is only available to the user with an RC
With the RC it is stable and still a great teaching tool I can use to teach my daughter how to fly with.. Although I could have just used the Mavic and be better off
For the amount of tech on-board the battery life is amazingly good, concidering the size.

I have been testing these drones for a while and will continue to do so out of the enjoyment of flying and to hopefully help others become aware of potential issues.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCYeYbazXtdT2yA-II_FI-Jg

With all this said I hope I presented this in a professional manner and I want all to know I only want to progress the development of these drones and see many more up in the air safely.

2017-7-14
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9812789 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

I'm not to sure when you got your Mavic, but there were as many problems with it when first released, this seems to be a trait with new releases, time indeed helped Mavic to become more reliable and all round much improved.
I suspect the same will happen with the spark.
2017-7-14
Use props
JoeCec
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

If a car manufacturer released a car that suddenly accelerated out of control or powered off while cruising down the interstate, what would that car manufacturer do or be forced to do?

If a Spark fell out of the sky and hit someone, what would DJI be forced to do?
2017-7-14
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

JoeCec Posted at 2017-7-14 06:59
If a car manufacturer released a car that suddenly accelerated out of control or powered off while cruising down the interstate, what would that car manufacturer do or be forced to do?

If a Spark fell out of the sky and hit someone, what would DJI be forced to do?

Your right about all that, but if that was the case then Mavic would also have been recalled, difference between you and I is Im comparing like with like you seem to think this is something very new with spark, but it's not , many Mavics dropped out of the sky, many had huge problems with camera, all your doing is trying to create a new headline, when really it's just another regurgitated headline about new release of a drone.
Reality is these drones have never just worked straight out of the box. And not trying to demean anybody who is having problems, if you take out many of the mistakes made by newbies and inexperience with drones, you will have a lot less problems.

I also do think dji are always much to slow to let customers know if and what real problems are.
2017-7-14
Use props
JoeCec
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 2017-7-14 07:12
Your right about all that, but if that was the case then Mavic would also have been recalled, difference between you and I is Im comparing like with like you seem to think this is something very new with spark, but it's not , many Mavics dropped out of the sky, many had huge problems with camera, all your doing is trying to create a new headline, when really it's just another regurgitated headline about new release of a drone.
Reality is these drones have never just worked straight out of the box. And not trying to demean anybody who is having problems, if you take out many of the mistakes made by newbies and inexperience with drones, you will have a lot less problems.

And this is all supposed to be ok.....???? For the Hobby and with Governments trying to strictly regulate the use of these UAS's, the last thing needed is negative press about a drone company having their products fall out of the sky. We should not be test guinea pigs until their product is polished. Putting general public's safety at stake isn't the best business practice.
2017-7-14
Use props
Szwedu
Second Officer
Flight distance : 378114 ft
Poland

OK i am not happy with the  misleading advertisement but if it comes to flying , i trust DJI technology in some factor . If there is no Preflight warnings and the spark get's airborne i thrust it will come back if i loose connection  ( i get almost all the time No signal /WEEK signal Warning when i am like 20m away....)  if i didn't (  and i dont have a RC) only thing left for me would be put it back to it's box...  and ok i Know we need to have the spark for Care Refresh but if we get a flyaway and have the flight log on DJI app we are covered right ?
2017-7-14
Use props
JoeCec
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 2017-7-14 07:12

DJI's whole marketing ploy is geared towards a lowered price point to bring new users into the hobby and you're trying to blame the noob for their mistakes!? And yes, it should work straight out of the box.

I will agree with you here though. A new user SHOULD:
Buy drone
Read manual- read it again- and again until comfortable.
Fly drone.
2017-7-14
Use props
JoeCec
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Szwedu Posted at 2017-7-14 07:28
OK i am not happy with the  misleading advertisement but if it comes to flying , i trust DJI technology in some factor . If there is no Preflight warnings and the spark get's airborne i thrust it will come back if i loose connection  ( i get almost all the time No signal /WEEK signal Warning when i am like 20m away....)  if i didn't (  and i dont have a RC) only thing left for me would be put it back to it's box...  and ok i Know we need to have the spark for Care Refresh but if we get a flyaway and have the flight log on DJI app we are covered right ?

I can't answer for the fly away bit, but I, to a point, trust DJI's technology. Like I said in other posts the Mavic at this point is a very solid machine! I just wish the Spark, being newer, would present the same characteristics.
2017-7-14
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

JoeCec Posted at 2017-7-14 07:21
And this is all supposed to be ok.....???? For the Hobby and with Governments trying to strictly regulate the use of these UAS's, the last thing needed is negative press about a drone company having their products fall out of the sky. We should not be test guinea pigs until their product is polished. Putting general public's safety at stake isn't the best business practice.

Listen your great at picking what people are saying,

If you want to answer my points, start with . You bigged up the Mavic it was also designed to introduce new flyers, it also had huge problems probably more than the spark, so explain how this was different than release of spark ? Reality is Mavic brought many many more new flyers into the market than any other drone dji have produced .

Now maybe you can name me a dji drone that was straight out of the box flying?
2017-7-14
Use props
DJI-Mark
First Officer

United States

If you are having an issue with Spark, it is always encourage to consider the next firmware update. Many times, that will resolve issues that are occurring. There is a strong Research and Development factor that occurs whenever sending out a new product.
2017-7-14
Use props
Szwedu
Second Officer
Flight distance : 378114 ft
Poland

DJI-Mark Posted at 2017-7-14 08:11
If you are having an issue with Spark, it is always encourage to consider the next firmware update. Many times, that will resolve issues that are occurring. There is a strong Research and Development factor that occurs whenever sending out a new product.

Don't say ? We want to know when ? We are waiting for it from the Premiere ...
2017-7-14
Use props
JoeCec
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 2017-7-14 07:38
Listen your great at picking what people are saying,

If you want to answer my points, start with . You bigged up the Mavic it was also designed to introduce new flyers, it also had huge problems probably more than the spark, so explain how this was different than release of spark ? Reality is Mavic brought many many more new flyers into the market than any other drone dji have produced .

My DJI Inspire 2
2017-7-14
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

You know as well as me there were many problems with inspire2, just go to inspire2 forum.
2017-7-14
Use props
JoeCec
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 2017-7-14 09:57
You know as well as me there were many problems with inspire2, just go to inspire2 forum.

I don't need a forum to tell me how my Inspire flies.
2017-7-14
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

JoeCec Posted at 2017-7-14 10:50
I don't need a forum to tell me how my Inspire flies.

I understand that, but not everyone is having problems with spark so does mean you now think it's all ok.
2017-7-14
Use props
JoeCec
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 2017-7-14 10:54
I understand that, but not everyone is having problems with spark so does mean you now think it's all ok.

I'm not sure I follow you.
2017-7-14
Use props
Advan031
Flight distance : 161663 ft
United States

I'm new to the world of drones and the Spark is my first one.  I've read the manual twice over and just got the RC remote yesterday and so far so good.  I've had zero problems thus far.
2017-7-14
Use props
BriRi
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1538845 ft
United States

Szwedu Posted at 2017-7-14 07:28

Wrong!!!!

It appears that the SPARK often shuts off in mid air and crashes to the ground... No RTH in that scenario... It happened to me.

Also appear to be many fly aways that don't RTH as advertised, never to be seen again.

DJI seems to be in denial at this point. They will probably fix the issue going forward and continue to deny the current defect. Unfortunately I am out of a drone and not looking to spend any more money with DJI so they can abuse me.
2017-7-14
Use props
BriRi
lvl.3
United States

DJI-Mark Posted at 2017-7-14 08:11

So why doesn't DJI admit that there ARE issues and do right by the unfortunate few who are nothing but beta testers at this point????

I posted extensively on several other threads about my issue, so I won't repost here.

Why would firmware upgrades be needed if there wasn't a problem????
2017-7-14
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

JoeCec Posted at 2017-7-14 11:29
I'm not sure I follow you.

Well as I explained in explained in post 2, this is nothing new with dji launches and this includes Mavic inspire 1&2 phantoms, so you are making the claim that inspire2 hasn't had problems you mentioned nothing about Mavics problems . So it seems you are defending those drones albeit on a personal level and generalising about spark. So that's my point.
2017-7-14
Use props
sagigeva
lvl.1
Flight distance : 576319 ft
United States

I can't agree more with everything you say!

I've been flying DJI products for multiple years now and I am an advanced user. I've had partial success with the Spark and especially the palm-launch / gesture control mode, it was working once and then at one time it just went really high in the air and stayed there until the battery ran out. Luckily for me I was in a field and it just landed on the grass.

I wasn't so lucky 3 days later, when I tried this mode by a lake. Spark took off my hand and then started flying away from me. Within 10 seconds it was hovering over the lake, and then just dove in it and disappeared.

I didn't have my phone connected to the drone at the time, so couldn't provide any logs for support, the biggest problem is that DJI won't admit that they have issues with this mode and won't take responsibility. $500 down the drain a week after I got it. I would not recommend buying Spark or using the palm launch mode.

Shame on you DJI!
2017-7-14
Use props
Tviscomi
Captain
Flight distance : 106886 ft
  • >>>
United States

I concur that some of the new DJI platforms had issues during the initial release, but I never remember any of them have issues to the extent that the Spark has.  BTW...my I2 and Mavic were/are flawless out of the box.  The only issues surrounding my I2 were lens compatibility.  I do remember some Mavics having camera issues (i.e. gelling), but nothing to the extent that they would disconnect mid flight.  Yes, I know that most people only use these forums when they have issues, but maintaining a connection is a basic function.
2017-7-15
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Tviscomi Posted at 2017-7-15 02:29
I concur that some of the new DJI platforms had issues during the initial release, but I never remember any of them have issues to the extent that the Spark has.  BTW...my I2 and Mavic were/are flawless out of the box.  The only issues surrounding my I2 were lens compatibility.  I do remember some Mavics having camera issues (i.e. gelling), but nothing to the extent that they would disconnect mid flight.  Yes, I know that most people only use these forums when they have issues, but maintaining a connection is a basic function.

There was a huge debacle about Mavics disconnecting it was all over the Mavic forum and Mavic pilots.

https://forum.dji.com/thread-94396-1-1.html
2017-7-15
Use props
BriRi
lvl.3
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 2017-7-15 02:55
There was a huge debacle about Mavics disconnecting it was all over the Mavic forum and Mavic pilots.

Every DJI platform has had its issues. I have no problem with that as long as they are working to correct them and take care of their customers.

I'm beginning to fear there may be more issues with the original SPARK than we've realized. More reports of them shutting off and dropping out of the sky every day. Critical battery failure has always been the most frequent cause on previous platforms but that doesn't appear to be the case with the SPARK.

I hope it's something that DJI can fix and improve future generations of the SPARK. I really enjoyed flying it for many reasons. I'm done doing there beta testing though and will wait for a more stable and reliable version.
2017-7-15
Use props
Tviscomi
Captain
Flight distance : 106886 ft
  • >>>
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 2017-7-15 02:55

Thanks...I mus have overlooked those threads
2017-7-15
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

BriRi Posted at 2017-7-15 03:29
Every DJI platform has had its issues. I have no problem with that as long as they are working to correct them and take care of their customers.

I'm beginning to fear there may be more issues with the original SPARK than we've realized. More reports of them shutting off and dropping out of the sky every day. Critical battery failure has always been the most frequent cause on previous platforms but that doesn't appear to be the case with the SPARK.

I'm not to sure what the issues are, looking at your log and cretu571, these are very similar, both flights end same way looks like shut down or just dropped in water in your case and on concrete in his.

In both cases , in cretu 571 his VPS didn't seem to be working from almost the start of his flight, in your case your VPS was intermittent all through your flight, when you were flying low to the water at the end of your flight VPS was not registering, this can be common when flying low over water or surface without texture i.e. Indoors on tiles.

What was also common in both flights was both of you were making almost identical yaw movements just before end of flight.

These are the only two flights I have seen where logs have been produced here on the forum that look similar, yes there have been many who have weighed in to say the same happened to them, like for instance pimpdawg he claims same thing happened to him but we don't see the log so we don't know.
If those who say they have had same issue put up there logs then you might see a pattern, but until they do this so I've only seen two similar cases here.

I have seen a few with loss of gps because of compass problems which are totally different from your case and shouldn't be lumped together with what happened to you.
I think if cretu571 can get a dat report on his it might give you a better understanding of what might have happened to yours, so it might be prudent to contact him to see if he can get this report from dji.
2017-7-15
Use props
BriRi
lvl.3
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 2017-7-15 03:55
I'm not to sure what the issues are, looking at your log and cretu571, these are very similar, both flights end same way looks like shut down or just dropped in water in your case and on concrete in his.

In both cases , in cretu 571 his VPS didn't seem to be working from almost the start of his flight, in your case your VPS was intermittent all through your flight, when you were flying low to the water at the end of your flight VPS was not registering, this can be common when flying low over water or surface without texture i.e. Indoors on tiles.

His VPS probably wasn't registering because of his flight altitude.... once you get over 20ft or so it returns a value of 0.... mine intermittently cuts out but IMU altitude is solid throughout. I'm quite familiar with the effects of water on the sensors on all DJI products. That is why when over water I watch each craft closely and maintain altitude which won't confuse the drone causing inadvertent landing.

I do expect to be able to yaw without shutting off the AC. Lack of ability to turn would somewhat limit every drone pilot I think....;)

I'm starting to think that heat might be an issue with the SPARK. I don't have any proof but mine sure got hot every time I flew it. I hand caught 95% of the time. Maybe DJI limited the battery flight time to help reduce heat?
2017-7-15
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

BriRi Posted at 2017-7-15 05:19
His VPS probably wasn't registering because of his flight altitude.... once you get over 20ft or so it returns a value of 0.... mine intermittently cuts out but IMU altitude is solid throughout. I'm quite familiar with the effects of water on the sensors on all DJI products. That is why when over water I watch each craft closely and maintain altitude which won't confuse the drone causing inadvertent landing.

I do expect to be able to yaw without shutting off the AC. Lack of ability to turn would somewhat limit every drone pilot I think....;)

The VPS on spark is a new version 3D , it has an operating range of 98 ft, unlike Mavic which has an operating range of 45 ft same as phantom, I was just putting same similarities with both crashes together, and if more produce logs we would get a better idea.

Dji have not released dat file converter yet for Spark so they are the only ones who can tell what is in the dat file, so maybe if someone who has similar crash or power out can find out what might have happened.
2017-7-15
Use props
TheGman
lvl.3
Flight distance : 783885 ft
United States

Guys,

I think the flyaways are from folks not waiting to get more than 9 says before taking off.

Also, some of the Sparks have IMU issues out of the box - my fly more combo couldn't keep altitude and crashes repeatedly before I did an IMU calibration, despite the Go4 app saying everything is good.
2017-7-15
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

TheGman Posted at 2017-7-15 08:11
Guys,

I think the flyaways are from folks not waiting to get more than 9 says before taking off.

Have you tried to do a vision sensor calibration?
2017-7-15
Use props
BriRi
lvl.3
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 2017-7-15 05:57
The VPS on spark is a new version 3D , it has an operating range of 98 ft, unlike Mavic which has an operating range of 45 ft same as phantom, I was just putting same similarities with both crashes together, and if more produce logs we would get a better idea.

Dji have not released dat file converter yet for Spark so they are the only ones who can tell what is in the dat file, so maybe if someone who has similar crash or power out can find out what might have happened.

Incorrect. Altitude VPS is supposed to be up to 26ft with the new 3D system in SPARK but look through your logs.,.. they all seem to cut off at about 20ft in mine and other peoples that I've reviewed....

None of these "crashes" or mid air shut off cases have to do with the VPS system... VPS can't shut off the drone.

Lack of satellite lock doesn't cause uncontrollable fly always either. Otherwise there would be no way to control your drone in atti mode which I do all the time with my other drones.

Let's try to stick with what we know and not bring up unrelated issues
2017-7-15
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

BriRi Posted at 2017-7-15 09:34
Incorrect. Altitude VPS is supposed to be up to 26ft with the new 3D system in SPARK but look through your logs.,.. they all seem to cut off at about 20ft in mine and other peoples that I've reviewed....

None of these "crashes" or mid air shut off cases have to do with the VPS system... VPS can't shut off the drone.

Well what is it you know ? Yesterday you said it was manufacturing defect, and there were more and more cases being reported every day,  yet we only have seen two of similar cases.

You will see from your log that you were flying very low to the water and your VPS wasn't working, you will also read in your manual that VPS operating range is 98 ft.

Also loss of gps caused by compass problems will cause your aircraft to fly away.
2017-7-15
Use props
BriRi
lvl.3
United States

Straight from the DJI website VPS ALTITUDE range....

Not that VPS has anything to do with the aircraft shutting down.... VPS malfunction causes drifting and inability to assess/hold altitude... it doesn't cause the motors to shut off.

VPS won't cause you to crash flying over water or any surface but it won't hold altitude... you must fly the craft yourself and not rely on altitude hold. VPS does NOT override pilot input other than refusing to land

I'm not here to argue with anyone, but many false and inaccurate statements being made. If it hasn't happened to you, be thankful
IMG_4055.PNG
2017-7-15
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

BriRi Posted at 2017-7-15 12:17
Straight from the DJI website VPS ALTITUDE range....

Not that VPS has anything to do with the aircraft shutting down.... VPS malfunction causes drifting and inability to assess/hold altitude... it doesn't cause the motors to shut off.

You conveniently left out the warning about flying low over water, but then as you said it was a manufacturing problem that caused your AC to crash.
2017-7-15
Use props
BriRi
lvl.3
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 2017-7-15 12:37
You conveniently left out the warning about flying low over water, but then as you said it was a manufacturing problem that caused your AC to crash.

You obviously don't agree.

Please ignore this topic. We have your input.

Thanks and have a great day
2017-7-15
Use props
Lucas775
Captain
Flight distance : 50642090 ft
  • >>>
United States

A lot of good read here, both positive and negative I just hope DJI is reading all these.
2017-7-15
Use props
JoeCec
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

While flying over water VPS needs to be turned off to prevent the system from going crazy... That being said the reaction to that would be a rapid descent into the water and not a sudden power increase. It could also trip the auto landing feature in some models.
2017-7-15
Use props
HamdiR
lvl.1
Flight distance : 70262 ft
Lebanon

I fully stand with JoeCec concerns, especially that his concerns are for public safety and people's investment not going down the drain

the spark is advertised as safe as any other DJI drone, in fact it's advertised as newer tech as well, meanwhile the price point is not really lower to suggest lower quality, the spark is not shipped with controller out of box, that alone is a major cost saving, it uses different RC tech than the mavic as well, now if you buy the flymore combo its all fine and still a notch cheaper than the mavic but if you want to buy the essential accessories separated the price will hike up above the mavic

bottom-line, the spark should have lower range and camera abilities than the mavic, smaller battery life, these are advertised facts, what it should not have is the terrible connection stability, random RC issues and insecure RTH, currently the drone is not behaving as a DJI product at all

my spark is back in the box after just one outdoor sortie, because the drone gave a bad connection red error while flying 10 meters above my head, i packed it up until i get the RC which is an incredible hard find by the way, its sold out even on amazon, but now everyday i log into the forum, i am considering how stupid i feel to buy this drone and maybe i should exchange it with a mavic before it meets its doom  
2017-7-20
Use props
eylneb
Second Officer
Flight distance : 122477 ft
Malaysia

HamdiR Posted at 2017-7-20 01:19
I fully stand with JoeCec concerns, especially that his concerns are for public safety and people's investment not going down the drain

the spark is advertised as safe as any other DJI drone, in fact it's advertised as newer tech as well, meanwhile the price point is not really lower to suggest lower quality, the spark is not shipped with controller out of box, that alone is a major cost saving, it uses different RC tech than the mavic as well, now if you buy the flymore combo its all fine and still a notch cheaper than the mavic but if you want to buy the essential accessories separated the price will hike up above the mavic

should just exchange for a mavic : ) mavic remote isn't using wifi but ocusync
2017-7-20
Use props
HamdiR
lvl.1
Flight distance : 70262 ft
Lebanon

eylneb Posted at 2017-7-20 01:43
should just exchange for a mavic : ) mavic remote isn't using wifi but ocusync

yes i am slowly realizing this truth, why did they not give the spark a better connection is beyond me

as it stands it's just like any random Parrot product
2017-7-20
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules