2941 18 2017-7-14
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Dobmatt
First Officer
Flight distance : 1831050 ft
  • >>>
Canada

Relax everybody, no venting, no complains, just hmm ...

So, any happy user of P4P+ (apparently few of them, including yours truly :-)) must be familiar with all information briefly displayed during start up procedure. RC on first, DJI logo fade in and out for a while, finally nice welcoming picture of whatever ... Next, aircraft powered up and - on top left corner some scrolling text on blue background: Version check ... collecting version info ... comparing with server ... please wait ... Everything seems to be OK, check mark below with Connected statement, and God's blessing in form of warm Go Fly invitation. All right, here we go!!! ... Wait a minute ... I'm in the middle of nowhere, no cell tower in 50 miles radius, all WiFi hot spots (locked) belongs to local farmers, ranchers and moonshiners! What server? Where? How???

It's probably just a matter of unfortunate wording, but really, how Go 4 App is able to confirm the validity of installed firmware/software and finally give a thumb up to fly without internet access? Just curious ...

2017-7-14
Use props
Viridis
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2383556 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

It attempts to compare with server but as no server is reachable, it gives a pass flag instead of a fail flag which would prompt you to update (impossible)
2017-7-15
Use props
Cetacean
Captain
Flight distance : 2528264 ft
  • >>>
United States

Aloha Matt,

Aside from what Viridis said, I am really curious, how are you able to communicate with this Forum if you are in the middle of nowhere?  Are you using satellite?  Are you driving 50 miles daily to get your daily Internet fix!  Talk about connectivity!  I am still jealous though, you cannot drive 100 miles in any one direction over here.  You just drive in circles and circles and circles!

Aloha and Drone On!
2017-7-15
Use props
Dobmatt
First Officer
  • >>>
Canada

Cetacean Posted at 2017-7-15 02:54
Aloha Matt,

Aside from what Viridis said, I am really curious, how are you able to communicate with this Forum if you are in the middle of nowhere?  Are you using satellite?  Are you driving 50 miles daily to get your daily Internet fix!  Talk about connectivity!  I am still jealous though, you cannot drive 100 miles in any one direction over here.  You just drive in circles and circles and circles!

Brother Cetacean, that was rhetorical question. Right now I'm in densely developed area of Christina Lake BC near US border, popular summer destination and boaters paradise. I'm using my MacBook Pro with mobile internet key paid service to communicate from within cellular coverage. Android device employed with P4P+ aircraft, however, must rely on unlocked (so called known) WiFi spots, if there's any available around. Most of the time I'm camping in totally uncivilized, barely accessible parts of this country, where only hardcore, childless out-goers will arrive at. Why childless? Because no teenager will accompany parents on camping trip into area with no cellular coverage ...

Anyway, I'm just curious. If I'm not able to communicate with the world at particular places, than what kind of technology our DJI drones are using to communicate with their server? Perhaps Viridis explained the mechanism of "blessing" procedure correctly ... Imagine how much data must be embedded into Go app to compare GPS readings with geofencing map ... Imagine how much information must be gathered to create such system efficiently working worldwide ... Unbelievable ...

OK, the breakfast (eggs on bacon) is about to be served ... Got to go for now ...
2017-7-15
Use props
Cetacean
Captain
Flight distance : 2528264 ft
  • >>>
United States

Dobmatt Posted at 2017-7-15 08:06
Brother Cetacean, that was rhetorical question. Right now I'm in densely developed area of Christina Lake BC near US border, popular summer destination and boaters paradise. I'm using my MacBook Pro with mobile internet key paid service to communicate from within cellular coverage. Android device employed with P4P+ aircraft, however, must rely on unlocked (so called known) WiFi spots, if there's any available around. Most of the time I'm camping in totally uncivilized, barely accessible parts of this country, where only hardcore, childless out-goers will arrive at. Why childless? Because no teenager will accompany parents on camping trip into area with no cellular coverage ...

Anyway, I'm just curious. If I'm not able to communicate with the world at particular places, than what kind of technology our DJI drones are using to communicate with their server? Perhaps Viridis explained the mechanism of "blessing" procedure correctly ... Imagine how much data must be embedded into Go app to compare GPS readings with geofencing map ... Imagine how much information must be gathered to create such system efficiently working worldwide ... Unbelievable ...

Aloha Matt,

See, I knew you were trying to make me jealous!  Wow, sounds great (especially the breakfast!).  I only like it over there when it is like you are experiencing right now and I guess two weeks in the winter time on Alpine and Cross-Country slopes.  Have our children gotten that bad that they need to be connected 24-7?  Well, affordable Global Cellular and WiFi is right around the corner, so soon children will be going out there with you and others.  Just got to get them out of the tent or van!

Now I see your problem with the Android based P4 Pro+ (plus) need to be connected to the Internet.  It stands to reason that there is no Airplane Mode for the P4 Pro+ (plus) which was my next suggestion.  Your situation is good cause to not buy that Phantom and get the P4 Pro instead.  Of course now that the CrystalSky is on the market, you can get one for the display and use an alternative Android device when needed in situations like yours.  This is a good lesson.  DJI is not really familiar with the type of lifestyle you are experiencing right now.  Hence, the failure to anticipate your problem.

What a bummer that such a wonderful piece of technology is being prohibited from functioning in your environment.  This is a real bummer.  Fortunately for you, you have other resources, so all is not lost in your particular case.  But, what about others?

Well, this has been something of an eye-opener.  And in a very enviable environment no less!  What a bummer!

Aloha and Drone On!
2017-7-15
Use props
jsantacroce
lvl.3
Flight distance : 10036 ft
United States

I have two controllers. The plus and a regular controller with an iPad. I do however use the Plus controller a lot and unlike others, because of my vision, I like it. Yes, until they come out with an update\fix for the app I run it in either 5ghz custom and airplane mode but just to avoid the annoying Strong Interference messages but I've gotten use to them. After the initial logon after the first update I've had a few problems with the app but nothing I couldn't work around. I had a separate gimbal issue but that also seems to be gone after reinstalling the firmware update. I also had to relink it once because it lost all camera control. On more than one occasion I lost my RAW+JPG camera settings. It had never done that in the past. Others reported the same issues. I just check it every time to make sure when I go flying.

There is an airplane mode in the settings menu (swipe down with one finger and tape the gear icon) and you do not need to be connected to fly. It checks the firmware against the copter and you are good to go. Annoying few second wait but no big deal.
2017-7-15
Use props
Dobmatt
First Officer
  • >>>
Canada

Cetacean Posted at 2017-7-15 19:05
Aloha Matt,

See, I knew you were trying to make me jealous!  Wow, sounds great (especially the breakfast!).  I only like it over there when it is like you are experiencing right now and I guess two weeks in the winter time on Alpine and Cross-Country slopes.  Have our children gotten that bad that they need to be connected 24-7?  Well, affordable Global Cellular and WiFi is right around the corner, so soon children will be going out there with you and others.  Just got to get them out of the tent or van!

Hey, I've got Airplane Mode switch on this P4P PLUS device indeed (thank you jsantacroce!), but it does nothing better in this case. Overwhelming GEOFENCING system is the problem, and switching it off also doesn't do any good. Can't fly here, period! Accordingly to Geo system info I'm in proximity of Unpaved Air Strip, but locals have no idea about such facility around. Whatever, I'm going somewhere else tomorrow ...

About kids and cellulars ... I'm not kidding, this is authentic story people told me on campsite one night ... No laughing matter ...

Cheers, Brother Cetacean!
2017-7-15
Use props
Dobmatt
First Officer
  • >>>
Canada

jsantacroce@hvc Posted at 2017-7-15 19:24
I have two controllers. The plus and a regular controller with an iPad. I do however use the Plus controller a lot and unlike others, because of my vision, I like it. Yes, until they come out with an update\fix for the app I run it in either 5ghz custom and airplane mode but just to avoid the annoying Strong Interference messages but I've gotten use to them. After the initial logon after the first update I've had a few problems with the app but nothing I couldn't work around. I had a separate gimbal issue but that also seems to be gone after reinstalling the firmware update. I also had to relink it once because it lost all camera control. On more than one occasion I lost my RAW+JPG camera settings. It had never done that in the past. Others reported the same issues. I just check it every time to make sure when I go flying.

There is an airplane mode in the settings menu (swipe down with one finger and tape the gear icon) and you do not need to be connected to fly. It checks the firmware against the copter and you are good to go. Annoying few second wait but no big deal.

Thank you jsantacroce, but Airplane Mode On or Off doesn't solves the permit issue. Geofencing system information is permanently embedded into Go app, therefore Internet connection is not needed whatsoever. The app compares GPS data with Geo data and boom, no go! Than the flimsy authorizing/unlocking procedure requires Internet communication with DJI server, and that's where the entire idea falls apart ... No matter which way you'll try to tear off the chains, no go!
2017-7-15
Use props
jsantacroce
lvl.3
Flight distance : 10036 ft
United States

I live in Class D airspace because of an unpaved unused airport (it's overgrown, weeds, a half mile away). I get the Class-D warning everytime I start out and sometimes during flight. But I've never been prevented from flying with my Plus controller (4.1 app) and latest firmware. The first time I had to log into my account and agree to this and that but after that I've never had any issues. I turn off Wifi, turn on Airplane mode, and go to 5ghz to stop the annoying Strong Interference and Wifi Interference messages. I've still flown several thousand feet distance without issue.

Sorry I can't be of more help but I am not experiancing the same thing. The new 4.1.3 app with my iPad and other controller fixed the Strong Interference messages I was getting but no update for the Plus yet as I patiently wait with intrepidation . Good luck!
2017-7-17
Use props
Dobmatt
First Officer
  • >>>
Canada

jsantacroce@hvc Posted at 2017-7-17 13:17
I live in Class D airspace because of an unpaved unused airport (it's overgrown, weeds, a half mile away). I get the Class-D warning everytime I start out and sometimes during flight. But I've never been prevented from flying with my Plus controller (4.1 app) and latest firmware. The first time I had to log into my account and agree to this and that but after that I've never had any issues. I turn off Wifi, turn on Airplane mode, and go to 5ghz to stop the annoying Strong Interference and Wifi Interference messages. I've still flown several thousand feet distance without issue.

Sorry I can't be of more help but I am not experiancing the same thing. The new 4.1.3 app with my iPad and other controller fixed the Strong Interference messages I was getting but no update for the Plus yet as I patiently wait with intrepidation . Good luck!

I can only assume that the issue with unlocking NFZ (enhanced or not) is relevant only when you're away from home and can not access known WiFi sources. Therefore, without internet connection, the authorization procedure is simply not working.
2017-7-17
Use props
Dobmatt
First Officer
  • >>>
Canada

jsantacroce@hvc Posted at 2017-7-17 13:17

I can only assume that the issue with unlocking NFZ (enhanced or not) is relevant only when you're away from home and can not access known WiFi sources. Therefore, without internet connection, the authorization procedure is simply not working.
2017-7-17
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

Dobmatt Posted at 2017-7-17 22:32

Hey bro, it's always good to see you participate on the forum.
Happy that you aren't grumbling and groaning like many that come here only to vent their frustrations...

RedHotPoker
2017-7-17
Use props
Dobmatt
First Officer
  • >>>
Canada

RedHotPoker Posted at 2017-7-17 23:50
Hey bro, it's always good to see you participate on the forum.
Happy that you aren't grumbling and groaning like many that come here only to vent their frustrations...

Well, I was venting a bit when I discovered this NFZ issue with my newly purchased P4P+ ... Than I realized my $2000 worth mistake ... I should opt for Inspire 2 instead ... P4P class drone is a toy with brilliantly executed implementation of NFZ map. DJI did excellent, over-the-top job making sure no moron will harm their business ... Unfortunately this approach made my flying in many remote places impossible ...

Interestingly, truly professional DJI aircrafts like Inspire or Matrice aren't affected by enhanced, densely restricted geofencing developed for consumer drones. Naturally you can't fly Matrice above JFK airport or White House ... But Phantoms 4, Mavics and Sparks can not fly even near WWII abandoned unpaved air strip, used by bush pilots once a month ...

Cheers, Bother RedHotPoker ...
2017-7-18
Use props
QuadKid
First Officer
Flight distance : 482349 ft
United States

Dobmatt Posted at 2017-7-18 09:47
Well, I was venting a bit when I discovered this NFZ issue with my newly purchased P4P+ ... Than I realized my $2000 worth mistake ... I should opt for Inspire 2 instead ... P4P class drone is a toy with brilliantly executed implementation of NFZ map. DJI did excellent, over-the-top job making sure no moron will harm their business ... Unfortunately this approach made my flying in many remote places impossible ...

Interestingly, truly professional DJI aircrafts like Inspire or Matrice aren't affected by enhanced, densely restricted geofencing developed for consumer drones. Naturally you can't fly Matrice above JFK airport or White House ... But Phantoms 4, Mavics and Sparks can not fly even near WWII abandoned unpaved air strip, used by bush pilots once a month ...

A friend just purchased a P4P and spends more time computing than flying, personally I wanted a stable video platform not a flying mainframe computer, old reliable P3P, it is much easier to link and fly with less restrictions
2017-7-18
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

QuadKid Posted at 2017-7-18 10:44
A friend just purchased a P4P and spends more time computing than flying, personally I wanted a stable video platform not a flying mainframe computer, old reliable P3P, it is much easier to link and fly with less restrictions

Agree 110%... Who needs all the extra unnecessary work, for a hobby class drone?

RedHotPoker

2017-7-18
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

I hope that you meant brother and not bother!!? ;-)

Come down to Alberta okay, we can play drone wars... Ha

RedHotPoker
2017-7-18
Use props
dronist
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Hack the P4P+ and fly like a free bird!!! lol !
2017-7-18
Use props
Dobmatt
First Officer
  • >>>
Canada

RedHotPoker Posted at 2017-7-18 11:02
I hope that you meant brother and not bother!!? ;-)

Brother, of course! Just a typo...

Well, I'm on mighty, but beautiful Kootenay Lake right now, boating South to Creston town. Like there's not enough s...t happening to me this summer, the entire region is engulfed in thick blanket of wildfire smoke ...

Hey, you promised a 6-pack delivered to my backyard by your Inspire! Let's try to meet after summer season ...
2017-7-18
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

I don't have an Inspire. Just a lot of inspiration. Ha

But I can see Labatts brewery,  out my front window though. ;-)

We had a plane load of fireman from Australia show up graciously to help fight those 160 forest fires burning BC,

RedHotPoker
2017-7-19
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules