Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
what to do about drone landing /crashing far away from you
748 2 2017-7-15
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Bekaru Tree
Second Officer
Flight distance : 15513100 ft
South Africa

This post is to state my recomendation that especially newbee pilots should make themselves familiar with the FIND MY DRONE feature. It has literally saved me twice now.
Today was flying over(mostly) burnt out farm land along a cliff and at about 2km away my battery warning came on and i allowed RTH to kick in but it only made it back another 500m to me before the critical warning came on and my drone started landing.
Thing that makes me frustrated with DJI is that during my last app update it must have shifted my regular 30% warning back down to 20% - so when i got the warning there was 10% less than i was expecting to have to work with - the differance between a safe rth and being forced to crash land far away from me. Yes it should also have had enough to get home but in reality it was way short - the why of this is still worrying me.
Another proplem was that the aircraft disconnected - also worries me cause i do not understand why - any suggestions?

I am now a multiple lost drone survivor and this is what i have learned.
1. When the drone says "battery critical, Landing" (and your drone is not close to home), try not to panick - if you must, get over it asap.
a. try keep altitude and identify some recognisable landscape features - i saw a line/path on the ground and aimed for a forced landing on that.
b. during the forced land i kept the throttle down for a long time - when i let go it said 'returning home' which it could not do because battery was now too low - so i just kep the throttle down and hoped for the best.
2. I then clicked the maps feature (camera was dsiconnected so a visual through camera was not available)
a. take a screen shot of the map, which shows the last know location of the drone
b. step 2a is important because later you will go to FIND MY DRONE feature which means clicking out of the initial maps screen (and i could not find that image again - although i did not need it in the end, it may have been useful had i not been so lucky in finding my drone)
3. Wait as long as possible gefore turing off yr rc - the beeping will make you want to screem but you just gotta suck it in
a. eventually i saw no benefit in keeping my rc on - the drone was not reconnecting and the beeping was making a stressful situation infinately worse and the only way to shut the noise is to turn off the rc
4. When i got to the last know location i did grid sweeps up and down - when i was absolutely sure that my drone was not at that location i went to access FIND MY DRONE function
a. at this point i should have done a screen shot of last known location
5. FIND MY DRONE - main app screen before you "Enter devise"
Top right of screen are 3 horizontal lines (menu bars) -inside there you will find FIND MY DRONE
6. The position on this map was slightly differant from my last known location so i moved to the new point on the map
a. fortunately i had managed to land in the path red sticker1.JPG
b. fortunately i had landed near identifyable land marks
c. fortunately i had put a red sticker on - now i got more red stickers on - not pretty at all - but for me 'practicle purpose' trumps pretty - also going to put reflective strips along the top
d.fortunately grass caught in the propellors
e. fortunately i am reunited with my drone

Please add any FIND MY DRONE related tips and advise

2017-7-15
Use props
dancopter
lvl.4
Flight distance : 17901030 ft
  • >>>
United Arab Emirates

Glad you got it back safely. 2 kilometres from home at 20% battery is pretty risky though!
2017-7-15
Use props
Bekaru Tree
Second Officer
Flight distance : 15513100 ft
South Africa

dancopter Posted at 2017-7-15 20:41
Glad you got it back safely. 2 kilometres from home at 20% battery is pretty risky though!

Thanks - yes, unfortunately the app reset my first warning limit.
when it said battery warning i was expecting to have 30% left but in fact was at 20% - therefore an oversight on my behalf, and also i was a bit distracted as i had someone with me - hopefully lessons learned and not to be repeated.
2017-7-16
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules