406 0 2017-7-16
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Bekaru Tree
First Officer
Flight distance : 15513100 ft
South Africa

Till yesterday i always used RTH with success - yesterday i got caught out
Problem factor - wind strength - it was stronger where the drone was than where i was - the wind sweeps through the canyons faster than top of the cliff. Cliff top wind speed was a stiff breeze, above the canyon was stronger wind and that was just too much for my mavic.
Problem factor - wind direction - i was standing just in the lee of a hill - the wind direction felt perfect for a downwind flight back home - but i learned later when i moved a bit from the hill that it was actually a strong off shore wind (90 degrees to what i thought) I realised then that the wind was bending around the hill to me, hense my incorrect assesment of wind direction and strength.
Problem factor - RTH does not happen in Sport power ie less RTH potential of making headway in windy conditions.

What you should be doing:
Flying  VLOS - then these problems will not be affecting you

Some things to remember when you feel the wind blowing and you want to fly or are flying;
Beware of wind speed and wind direction in general but especially relative to you/home point and any abyss (abyss= irretrievable places like the ocean, lakes, mountain cliffs ect)
Do not fly close to any abyss edge with an off shore wind blowing (similar to do not kite surf in a strong off shore wind)
Set yr battery warning to at least minimum 30% when flying in wind (or places where the wind could pick up quickly - like ontop of cliffs)
Remember that RTH is not sport mode and will therefore struggle and lose ground if wind is too strong
Do not rely on RTH in windy conditions - fly manualy and use sport mode
When using RTH ALWAYS CONTINUE to keep track of what yr drone is doing till it is back on the ground

If you are using RTH and notice yr drone is drifting in the wind (away from you)
Toggle to sport mode and attempt to fly home yrself -
If you are still losing ground or drifting identify a safe and easy to find crash landing site.
Tilt yr camera down and take some images
Keep the throttle down until you are sure the drone has landed - releasing to soon will result the drone trying to RTH again and result in it moving from the place you have identified to pick it up again. Yes u can cancel RTH function but my experiance is that i cancel it and it comes on again so this to watch out for.

User suggestions
DJI - an improvement could be to have wind warning notifications that differentiate between HIGH WIND< FLY WITH CAUTION and another that says CRITICAL WIND VELOCITY > RETURN TO HOME
DJI - is it not an idea to have RTH happen in sport mode vs current slow mode or to provide a user pre select option for RTH speed.
2017-7-16
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules