Defective Gimbal. Dealer Unresponsive
3400 27 2014-10-14
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
lennyschway
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1708412 ft
United States

Last month I purchased an H3-3D Gimbal (Stand Alone Version) direct from the DJI U.S. Distributer Empire RC. I installed the Gimbal onto my SKy Hero X8 Multirotor and am using the DJI Flight Controller.

Since day one, the gimbal has been constantly Yaw Snapping/ Twitching  from side to side when flying at any speed and in a hover. The Gimbal also Vibrates in flight and also makes a high pitched sqeal noise when stationary.
I have performed all the firmware updates. The Gimbal usually initialises ok but will sometimes make a grinding noise and Yaw Twitch.

I have sent 3 emails to Empire RC amd left a voicemail message. They have not responded to any of these.

The gimbal was less then 30 days old when i contacted Empire RC and I was hoping they would just replace it for me.
I just received my warranty replacement Phantom 2 batteries from DJI after waiting for 6 weeks. I don't want to have to send the gimbal in to DJI and have to wait another 6 weeks for replacement or repair. I need it for my video business and have not been able to put my new multirotor to work due to the gimbal.

DJI Please Help me on this!!!!

2014-10-14
Use props
Tahoe_Ed
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2605 ft
  • >>>
United States

Please send me your contact information via email.  I think I can help you.
2014-10-14
Use props
lennyschway
lvl.3
United States

Tahoe_Ed Posted at 2014-10-15 09:42
Please send me your contact information via email @ .  I think I can help you.

Hi Ed. I just sent you an email.
Thanks !!
2014-10-14
Use props
Tahoe_Ed
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Already forwarded.  You are welcome.
2014-10-14
Use props
Karsten116
New

United States

exact same issue here...i have had terrible customer service... smhi had to wait 2 months... and then i just got my gimbal back today and it is doing the same thing....
2014-10-15
Use props
lennyschway
lvl.3
United States

Karsten116 Posted at 2014-10-16 07:27
exact same issue here...i have had terrible customer service... smhi had to wait 2 months... and the ...

That really sucks! I wonder what the cause is?
What copter are you flying the gimbal on?

2014-10-16
Use props
Karsten116
New

United States

lennyschway@gma Posted at 2014-10-17 00:32
That really sucks! I wonder what the cause is?
What copter are you flying the gimbal on?

i have a phantom 2
2014-10-16
Use props
etirado
lvl.1

Puerto Rico

I had the same problem with mine, I called them and they explained me to update the firmware to the latest one. I did it and it looks that it solved the problem.
2014-10-16
Use props
brewstershoots
New

United States

I have the same problem.  Firmware updates do not fix the "self excited" uncontrolled motion of my brand new H3-3D.  
2014-10-16
Use props
Tahoe_Ed
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

brewstershoots@ Posted at 2014-10-17 03:10
I have the same problem.  Firmware updates do not fix the "self excited" uncontrolled motion of my ...

Please contact your dealer.  They should be able to take care of your issue with a repair or replacement.
2014-10-16
Use props
brewstershoots
New

United States

Tahoe_Ed... How about DJI figures out how to fix a problem that I have seen repeatedly for 2 months on forums around the globe.  You guys are selling a defective Gimbal and have yet to provide a DJI supported solution.  I need my Gimbal to work right now... send it back in 4 to 6 weeks might I get one that works???  Seriously... How can you have a persistent problem with the H3-3D for months and still ship defective products to customers all over the world.  Can you answer that for me???  I see forum issues with the H3-3D and Phantom 2 going back to early September.  This is totally unacceptable business.  I need my Gimbal to perform in 2 weeks for a TV shoot and I might get it fixed in 4-6 weeks.  Thanks.  
2014-10-16
Use props
lennyschway
lvl.3
United States

I am supposed to be receiving mine back from repair today. DJI's email told me that it needed an IMU calibration which the did and bench tested it. Supposedly it is ok now.

Once I get it back I will post my findings on if the repair resolved my problem.

Mine is the Stand Alone model that comes with the CGU.  Besides the GCU, I didn't think there was any difference between the 2 gimbals.
2014-10-17
Use props
Tahoe_Ed
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

brewstershoots@ Posted at 2014-10-17 15:18
Tahoe_Ed... How about DJI figures out how to fix a problem that I have seen repeatedly for 2 months  ...

Brewster,

We have thousands of user that have no issues.  To say that this is a systemic issue is untrue.  Have you contacted your dealer or DJI on your problem?  You personally may have a defective unit.  
2014-10-17
Use props
lennyschway
lvl.3
United States

I just received mine back from repair. I didn't get a letter in the package stating what was done (That was supposed to be included) but i was told in an email that it need a re calibration on the imu. Why, I don't know as it is only a month old.

I'm waiting on some new props then i will try it out.

I did notice that the imu was updated with a version 1.7 firmware and the latest firmware available i think is 1.6.
I'm guessing that there is a new firmware 1.7 soon to be released?

UPDATE
The Gimbal does not Yaw Twitch or Vibrate anymore!
2014-10-20
Use props
uhayat
lvl.2
Flight distance : 191421 ft
Pakistan

http://forum.dji.com/forum.php?m ... &page=1#pid5766
2014-10-23
Use props
bobbycuff
lvl.1
Flight distance : 220538 ft
United States

I have a brand new phanton 2 with h3 3d gimbal. Out of the box i havent even flown this yet and the gimbal is doing a dance.
I have update the firmware 1.6 countless amount of times and it had not solved the issue. PLEASE someone help!
2014-10-25
Use props
Eirlink
lvl.4

Ireland

bobbycuff@gmail Posted at 2014-10-26 05:07
I have a brand new phanton 2 with h3 3d gimbal. Out of the box i havent even flown this yet and the  ...

my advice is return it immediately to your dealer and ask for a replacement.
let us know how you get on, and where you dealer is.
2014-10-25
Use props
john
New
Canada

You might give this a try before you send it for service.

http://youtu.be/5iTz3Dd2Ecs
2014-10-28
Use props
lennyschway
lvl.3
United States

john@hurlbut.ca Posted at 2014-10-29 00:34
You might give this a try before you send it for service.

http://youtu.be/5iTz3Dd2Ecs

He does not have a VISION. The video is for the Vision.
He has a Phantom 2 with the Zenmuse H3-3D for the GoPro.
2014-10-28
Use props
bobbycuff
lvl.1
United States

Eirlink Posted at 2014-10-26 07:37
my advice is return it immediately to your dealer and ask for a replacement.
let us know how you g ...

hey,
Luckily for me im in miami i have a certified dealer 30-45min drive away.
I was able to contact them and drop it off. Should have it back on friday!
Just in time for a wedding gig i may have on saturday
2014-10-28
Use props
Eirlink
lvl.4

Ireland

hope they sort it for you , if not post back and we see what we can do for you.
2014-10-28
Use props
vandman1008
lvl.1
Flight distance : 30997 ft
Australia

I've sent mine in for RMA . Reason ; Definite burnt smell around pitch motor area. Gopro is extremely warm. Bad video interference once gimbal initializes . EE hobbies replied; with a low quality video of the gimbal working, interference can be seen but insisted its a gimbal and has nothing to do with video. Neglected the burnt smell and said its  safe as 12v can't hurt anyone.  Also a $80 charge but this time its free.
Once you experience this kind of non service. You're reluctant to buy another DJI product. I've always used and recommended DJI .
2014-10-28
Use props
vandman1008
lvl.1
Flight distance : 30997 ft
Australia

vandman1008 Posted at 2014-10-29 15:37
I've sent mine in for RMA . Reason ; Definite burnt smell around pitch motor area. Gopro is extremel ...

H3-3D was installed and setup via Assistance software when I noticed the issues. Its a week old from purchased ,received by post and installed.  Bought from UAV-Depot (Australia) ,referred EE Hobbies for warranty.  
2014-10-28
Use props
bobbycuff
lvl.1
United States

Eirlink Posted at 2014-10-29 09:33
hope they sort it for you , if not post back and we see what we can do for you.

Got back my phantom 2 today They ended up have to replace the defective gimbal!
Lemon gimbals buyers beware
2014-10-31
Use props
lennyschway
lvl.3
United States

Hi Tahoe Ed. After updating my A2 Firmware and software, the gimbal is now vibrating and shaking during start up. It is still making the high pitched noise when it is running.

You helped me greatly last month with getting my gimbal repaired but now it seems as though there is more wrong with it..

Can you help me get this resolved?

Thanks,
Lenny
2014-11-9
Use props
Tahoe_Ed
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Lenny,  I have escalated your request.  You will be hearing from us shortly.
2014-11-9
Use props
lennyschway
lvl.3
United States

Tahoe_Ed Posted at 2014-11-10 15:32

Thank You !
2014-11-10
Use props
lennyschway
lvl.3
United States

Tahoe_Ed Posted at 2014-11-10 15:32

I'm a little concerned now. I did receive an RMA to send the gimbal back as an Expedite.  I sent it back and DJI received it on the 13th but I have not had any further correspondence from DJI since. Only a "How would you rate the support you recieved" email. That usually comes after the problem has been resolved.

2014-11-19
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules