Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Mavic Falls out of Sky (VIDEO)
1234Next >
16685 138 2017-7-17
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
RoyEP3
lvl.3
Flight distance : 286017 ft
United States

fans7744acd0 Posted at 2017-7-19 06:38
After how many flights did this start happening? I was gonna do some filming over water at the weekend but I think I'll give it a miss now!!!

My DJI GO flight records show I have about 7 hours of flight time total, with about 50 flights.  So it's really not much at all.
2017-7-19
Use props
RoyEP3
lvl.3
United States

Thank you all for supporting my case.  This indeed should be a serious concern for DJI and us Mavic pilots.  I had so much faith in DJI and was glad I didn't end up getting something unreliable like the GoPro Karma, which had many cases of dropping out of the sky.

After this incident, I trusted DJI to honor their warranty.  Instead, they blamed it on me!
2017-7-19
Use props
kenavata
lvl.4
Flight distance : 742126 ft
United Kingdom

I really really really hope this was a Service aberration...I'm sure the whole DJI community will want to this brought to a more satisfactory outcome ... quickly!!!
2017-7-19
Use props
RoyEP3
lvl.3
United States

Griffith Posted at 2017-7-19 07:26
I would have to guess, from Budwalker's data, that the problem is probably due to thermal failure in a main processor input interface. Loss of input from multiple systems - RC receiver, battery, imu, esc, gps  The Mavic goes into a fail-safe motor shutdown.  

That is a very interesting observation Griffith.  Makes a lot of sense.  I did not test fly it much after the first crash, but I was able to repeat the problem easily.
2017-7-19
Use props
NYer
lvl.1
Flight distance : 5131 ft
United States

I find this insane, was the Mavic recording you while you were flying?
2017-7-19
Use props
yannmtl
lvl.1
Flight distance : 109760 ft
France

My friend's Mavic did exactly the same thing last Saturday ... Only difference, the drone was 43 meters high, over a river with a lot of current. The drone felt straight into water and is now gone for good ...
Case opened with DJI, I hope they will take care of it in an appropriate way because obviously there is NO user error in this case ...

Finger crossed for the whole community ... it's my friends Mavic that was lost, but I am now scared to take mine out for a flight ......
2017-7-19
Use props
RCNJ
Second Officer
Flight distance : 114665 ft
France

RoyEP3 Posted at 2017-7-19 09:11
Thank you all for supporting my case.  This indeed should be a serious concern for DJI and us Mavic pilots.  I had so much faith in DJI and was glad I didn't end up getting something unreliable like the GoPro Karma, which had many cases of dropping out of the sky.

After this incident, I trusted DJI to honor their warranty.  Instead, they blamed it on me!

Absolutely shocked by that conversation, how can it be user error it clearly shuts off and falls without any stick or RC input..........following this.

Can I ask why you are on .600 and not the latest .900 firmware ?
2017-7-19
Use props
RoyEP3
lvl.3
United States

RCNJ Posted at 2017-7-19 14:52
Absolutely shocked by that conversation, how can it be user error it clearly shuts off and falls without any stick or RC input..........following this.

Can I ask why you are on .600 and not the latest .900 firmware ?

.600 was the latest back in May when the issue first occurred.  I have not updated the firmware to the current one because I don't want DJI to receive my drone and everything is working fine with the latest firmware.  I want them to see that there was a problem not caused by me, so they can honor their warranty and repair it.
2017-7-19
Use props
Howard Hughes
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2153209 ft
United States

Following to see the outcome, hope it works out in your favor.
2017-7-19
Use props
plmm32
New
Flight distance : 42175 ft
United States

RoyEP3 Posted at 2017-7-18 18:03
Wow.  When did they receive your drone?  Please keep us updated on what they say.

Sure, I will keep you informed.  I am also very curious what caused that 'drop' from 60m high. And to be honest, I am also very scared to fly any more if there is no convincing reason.   Just imagine a drone from 60m high lost power and just drop like a bomb ,  whatever it hit , a person or a house roof,  it will be a disaster.  

I bought the drone in May and flew 3-4 times a week.  So I am pretty sure  I didn't make any operation mistakes during the flight.   The drone is on the way to dji via UPS and it will be delivered tomorrow. Let's see.

Below is the place I flew the drone on July 16.  it is a big park and it rose 60m high and then flew a distance of 143m and it just fell out of sky ....

Photo Jul 19, 19 11 03.png
2017-7-19
Use props
DroneNut51
lvl.1

Mexico

DJI Drones are great...customer service?  Well that's a whole different story
2017-7-19
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

RoyEP3 Posted at 2017-7-19 01:23
The first case number which rejected my warranty:
CAS-618022-P9G9Y9

Hi, Roy, I'd checked your previous case, it might because you did not choose the manufacturing defect so data analysis will not be provided acquiescently, and checked your present case, too. I will help to submit the data analysis in your case now. Besides, just to verify, did you send back the battery together or just the craft body? We will try our best to get it sorted out shortly. Appreciate your patience.
2017-7-19
Use props
Bekaru Tree
Captain
Flight distance : 15513100 ft
South Africa

RoyEP3 Posted at 2017-7-19 09:11

Still following..... thanks for yr well documented situation. I wish the dji business leaders would see this situation - having built such an awesome company with amazing equipment and cutting edge technology i am sure they would not appreciate seeing their work going under the bus for the sake of improper customer service.
2017-7-20
Use props
Griffith
First Officer
Flight distance : 98537 ft
United States

DJI Thor Posted at 2017-7-19 20:11
Hi, Roy, I'd checked your previous case, it might because you did not choose the manufacturing defect so data analysis will not be provided acquiescently, and checked your present case, too. I will help to submit the data analysis in your case now. Besides, just to verify, did you send back the battery together or just the craft body? We will try our best to get it sorted out shortly. Appreciate your patience.

you did not choose the manufacturing defect so data analysis will not be provided

Hi Thor,  While I've never had to submit a service request, I've seen several incidents on the Forum where there was good evidence of equipment malfunction and no analysis was performed.  I would guess that a majority of customers have absolutely no clue of the cause of an incident and are probably misled (as I would be) by the term "Manufacturing Defect".  Does that term also include system or component failures, software bugs, etc.  Does one need to claim a "Manufacturing Defect" to obtain a critical analysis of what happened?   I should think DJI, as well as the customer, would want to know.  Most customers probably expect an expert analysis.  Is is that much more effort to provide?

We can give opinions and suppositions all day long on the Forum.  Some of us have strong technical backgrounds and long experience with drones, but few, if any, of us have in-depth knowledge of Mavic's hardware and control systems.  So a little feedback would be welcomed and would help us to better understand and respond to customer concerns and questions.
2017-7-20
Use props
RuytterM
New
Flight distance : 62858 ft
Brazil

I want to know what is the final result and what Dji has to say!
Good Luck!
2017-7-20
Use props
RoyEP3
lvl.3
United States

Thank you all for your concern and support (on Facebook, MavicPilots, and DJI Forums). The Mavic is now in the hands of DJI repair.

I've heard too many of these stories from other Mavic pilots, but it's easy to dismiss it as some small, rare phenomena until it happens to you. And it's one thing for technology to fail, but it's another to have the company give you the runaround and not honor their warranty to its customers.

I hope they do right by their part and fix this. I will keep you all updated.
2017-7-20
Use props
RoyEP3
lvl.3
United States

Griffith Posted at 2017-7-20 05:48
you did not choose the manufacturing defect so data analysis will not be provided

Hi Thor,  While I've never had to submit a service request, I've seen several incidents on the Forum where there was good evidence of equipment malfunction and no analysis was performed.  I would guess that a majority of customers have absolutely no clue of the cause of an incident and are probably misled (as I would be) by the term "Manufacturing Defect".  Does that term also include system or component failures, software bugs, etc.  Does one need to claim a "Manufacturing Defect" to obtain a critical analysis of what happened?   I should think DJI, as well as the customer, would want to know.  Most customers probably expect an expert analysis.  Is is that much more effort to provide?

I agree Griffith.  I don't quite understand what is meant by "you did not choose the manufacturing defect so data analysis will not be provided."   I don't see where there is a choice for this in the process of starting a repair case.  

My Case Description from the DJI Case Details page:        
Aircraft keeps losing signal. Motor shuts off when signal lost, resulting in crash.

If DJI is going to call it "user error", DJI should provide data analysis, especially after being requested multiple times from the 5 different agents, rather than just sending the drone back unrepaired.  

I would still like to know if there were even any flight testing done and how they have come to claim it as user error.
2017-7-20
Use props
laceyboy
lvl.4
Flight distance : 159820 ft
United States

Griffith Posted at 2017-7-20 05:48

It is pretty easy for me understand what "Manufacturing Defect" means, but might be not for others.
So basically, if you believe it's not your fault, then it's manufacturing defects.
2017-7-20
Use props
Griffith
First Officer
United States

RoyEP3 Posted at 2017-7-20 08:42
I agree Griffith.  I don't quite understand what is meant by "you did not choose the manufacturing defect so data analysis will not be provided."   I don't see where there is a choice for this in the process of starting a repair case.  

My Case Description from the DJI Case Details page:        

Totally agree.  As I said, I've never needed to file a case so I don't know what the form looks like (although enough complaints in the Forum have given me a good idea).  I  think  your title alone should categorize the case as one needing analysis.  Are you saying that there is no "check box" on the case submission?  I know that DJI support is having to staff up do meet the demands of all the new products,,  but f***, they've been in business long enough to have their processes in line.  There seems to be disorganization from the top. If it weren't for our excellent forum moderators intervening on our behalf, service would be practically useless. Time to reorganize Customer Service, DJI.
2017-7-20
Use props
SRO
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2405174 ft
Switzerland

Very dangerous. I can't see an user error. DJI, we have a problem!
2017-7-20
Use props
RoyEP3
lvl.3
United States

Griffith Posted at 2017-7-20 08:58
Totally agree.  As I said, I've never needed to file a case so I don't know what the form looks like (although enough complaints in the Forum have given me a good idea).  I  think  your title alone should categorize the case as one needing analysis.  Are you saying that there is no "check box" on the case submission?  I know that DJI support is having to staff up do meet the demands of all the new products,,  but f***, they've been in business long enough to have their processes in line.  There seems to be disorganization from the top. If it weren't for our excellent forum moderators intervening on our behalf, service would be practically useless. Time to reorganize Customer Service, DJI.

Correction. There is an option to choose the issue. I believe I chose "other" and explained my case.

Screenshot_20170720-122330.jpg
2017-7-20
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9812789 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Griffith Posted at 2017-7-20 08:58

Well I might be able to give you some information on service in Europe, just had stress cracks appear on my Mavic . Did get ups label in 3 hours coming to collect tomorrow, we shall see.

Apologies to OP bit off topic.
2017-7-20
Use props
Dronoob
Second Officer
Flight distance : 126079 ft
Germany

RoyEP3 Posted at 2017-7-20 11:30
Correction. There is an option to choose the issue. I believe I chose "other" and explained my case.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/gd4dynop4t1ww89/Screenshot_20170720-122330.jpg?dl=0

No matter what you selected. Anyone at DJI support should be able to recognize that a Mavic, that drops from the sky like a stone cannot be a pilot error and some data analysis is required.

What if the Mavic fell from the sky caused by an error that all Mavics have? Or even a problem with a component that all DJI aircrafts are using? "Oh, the news say 50 DJI drones fell from the sky and 3 people got hurt by that. It is totally their fault. It could all have been avoided if the first guy had filed that support case in a proper way like we expected him to do! - Can we tell the news it was pilot error?"
2017-7-20
Use props
Griffith
First Officer
United States

Apparently, during the warranty period, DJI warranty DOES cover component failure (over which they have little control) as well as "Manufacturing Defects" .  

DJI WARRANTY PERIOD OF MAIN PARTS*

Product        Main Components              Warranty Period
Mavic Pro        MC                                 12 Months
                     Gimbal Camera                  6 Months
                     Vision Positioning System    6 Months
                     Propulsion system (excluding propellers)    6 Months
                     Remote Controller            12 Months
                     Battery                             6 Months and Charge Cycle less than 200 Times
                     Battery Charger                 6 Months
                     Frame                              No Warranty
                     Propeller                           No Warranty

2017-7-20
Use props
TomQ
lvl.1

Canada

I was planning to get one of my own this weekend...I was.
2017-7-20
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

Hi, Roy. We will have someone contacted you via email soon. Please wait patiently.
2017-7-25
Use props
fans502b5e9e
lvl.1
Flight distance : 54157 ft
Sweden

Wow. Just Wow!
2017-7-25
Use props
RoyEP3
lvl.3
United States

DJI Thor Posted at 2017-7-25 01:17
Hi, Roy. We will have someone contacted you via email soon. Please wait patiently.

Thank you.  Standing by.
2017-7-25
Use props
Bekaru Tree
Captain
Flight distance : 15513100 ft
South Africa

Hey Roy - good to see dji communications, still following progress
2017-7-25
Use props
G_Sig
Captain
Flight distance : 9109311 ft
Iceland

TomQ Posted at 2017-7-20 12:46
I was planning to get one of my own this weekend...I was.

+1 will wait for few months.
2017-7-25
Use props
quickjeff
New
United States

I just bought mine and now I fear the same thing will happen. :-( Hopefully it doesn't but will keep everyone posted.
2017-7-25
Use props
Cryhavoc38
lvl.1
United States

Dronoob Posted at 2017-7-20 11:34
No matter what you selected. Anyone at DJI support should be able to recognize that a Mavic, that drops from the sky like a stone cannot be a pilot error and some data analysis is required.

What if the Mavic fell from the sky caused by an error that all Mavics have? Or even a problem with a component that all DJI aircrafts are using? "Oh, the news say 50 DJI drones fell from the sky and 3 people got hurt by that. It is totally their fault. It could all have been avoided if the first guy had filed that support case in a proper way like we expected him to do! - Can we tell the news it was pilot error?"

think of it this way.
If DJI acknowledged that the Mavic or whatever other DJI drone is subject to such a failure NOT DUE TO USER INPUT/ERROR, that the craft can fall from the sky, they would have a much larger PR issue to deal with.

its easier to simply say its the user's fault and sweep it under the rug.
do let us know if DJI simply just offers you a new unit, or actually finds a bug/failure and tells you what it is.
much thanks.

2017-7-25
Use props
DroneFlying
Captain
Flight distance : 10774613 ft
United States

Cryhavoc38 Posted at 2017-7-25 13:12
think of it this way.
If DJI acknowledged that the Mavic or whatever other DJI drone is subject to such a failure NOT DUE TO USER INPUT/ERROR, that the craft can fall from the sky, they would have a much larger PR issue to deal with.

I doubt very much that DJI is trying to cover anything up. It's a given with a complex system that a faulty unit will sometimes make its way to the consumer as one apparently did in this case, but overall the Mavic is an impressive achievement and very reliable considering how much of a leap in technology it represents.

More likely what's really happened is that they're just trying to maximize profits by putting the least amount of time and effort (i.e., money) they reasonably can into crash analysis. There's probably some room for improvement in that area, but I don't get the sense that there's any nefarious intent on DJI's part.
2017-7-25
Use props
Cryhavoc38
lvl.1
United States

DroneFlying Posted at 2017-7-25 13:23
I doubt very much that DJI is trying to cover anything up. It's a given with a complex system that a faulty unit will sometimes make its way to the consumer as it apparently did in this case, but overall the Mavic is an impressive achievement and very reliable considering how much of a leap in technology it represents.

More likely what's really happened is that they're just trying to maximize profits by putting the least amount of time and effort (i.e., money) they reasonably can into crash analysis. There's probably some room for improvement in that area, but I don't get the sense that there's any nefarious intent on DJI's part.

you are probably correct in that the service center is not being run very well and does not have customer service first minded people running the show.

Most likely they run on a mandate to spend as little as possible on the service side and try first to find fault with the user before finding fault with the hardware/software.
2017-7-25
Use props
Cryhavoc38
lvl.1
United States

G_Sig Posted at 2017-7-25 11:43
+1 will wait for few months.

For the Mavic 2 no doubt!
2017-7-25
Use props
DroneFlying
Captain
Flight distance : 10774613 ft
United States

Cryhavoc38 Posted at 2017-7-25 13:35
you are probably correct in that the service center is not being run very well and does not have customer service first minded people running the show.

Most likely they run on a mandate to spend as little as possible on the service side and try first to find fault with the user before finding fault with the hardware/software.

I think what you described is probably fairly accurate. In fairness to DJI, though, it does appear that most crashes really are caused by pilot error, so it's not surprising or unreasonable that it would be their default explanation.
2017-7-25
Use props
DigiMav
lvl.1
United States

Really looking forward to seeing how DJI handles this issue. This is our worst drone flying nightmare!!!
2017-7-25
Use props
DTK
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1943159 ft
Australia

If poor design in hardware or software cause inexperience pilot making fatal mistake, do DJI have a moral responsibility to remedy its victims.
2017-7-25
Use props
Eagorg
lvl.1
Flight distance : 78461 ft
United States

I have had the same exact issue and my experience is below:
I purchased my Mavic at the beginning of July and flew it 37 times without issues at all. I have been flying RC for over 15 years and know how to fly these things.  I flew it in an open park on the 38th time when i had the problem stated above in the thread but mine was slightly different.  I was at 118ft and coming back to my location when all of a sudden the drone fell from the sky without warning or notifications of failures.  It was just flying and the props decided to just stop as I watched it fall from the sky straight down onto cement drive way.  It busted into many pieces and was completely destroyed.  I called DJI and they asked me to send it in to have it looked at.   They have had it now for about two weeks, which is longer than I have owned it and they advised that there was a catastrophic power failure on the aircraft.  Below is their account of what happened:
Power Failure FLY18 1. Unit was in P-GPS mode and was responsive to RC input;. 2. At t=496s, relative height=36m, log cut off in mid air with no stick input or obstacle around. 3. no sign or battery voltage drop. Conclusion: Power failure mid air.
The battery level was perfect and no overheating.  All systems checked out just fine without any errors on the screen or in the system.  There was absolutely no warning.  DJI is fixing the problem and sending me a drone back but I have no idea if the drone will fall from the sky again.  This is a serious liability to me and also DJI if the problem happens again.  It was not predicable the first time and I have no idea if it will do it again.  I did update the app right before flight and wondered if this had any reason for the issue.  I asked them for a brand new drone after calling them and speaking to about 6 different people and they advised that they will not do it.  I am concerned that it will fail again and this time over people or property and will cause some harm.  

Droneflying offer some good tips and believe it is a thermal shut down as well as described in previous threads.   I still like the product but well see...
2017-7-25
Use props
neo0
lvl.4
Flight distance : 115997 ft
United States

omg there is truly a problem there you need to keep on with support.
2017-7-25
Use props
1234Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules