Customizable RC buttons
1439 9 2017-7-17
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Zacster
lvl.1
United States

I cannot seem to get my Fn and C buttons on the RC to maintain the settings I select.  I have to reset them every time I connect to my Spark.  Does anyone know how to save the settings instead of defaulting to "Not Defined" after each use?
2017-7-17
Use props
Aerial Ant
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1249715 ft
United States

Hi, If you are setting the buttons on the remote without powering on the spark then the settings will not save. Now if you are while using OTG cable then like everyone else the setting won't save either.
2017-7-18
Use props
Zacster
lvl.1
United States

I don't do it without Spark turned on.  But I due use OTG cable.  So I confirmed you are correct so thank you Aerial Ant!  So do you know why this would be?  I did notice that if I allow my wifi to connect then connect OTG, settings will remain and then disappear if I turn off wifi while OTG is still connected.  So I know there are conflicting reports of the improvements of using OTG over wifi but I feel that there have never been reports of negative uses of OTG.  So I therefor use OTG over wifi.  I also usually either turn off my wifi or never allow phone to connect to RC through wifi.  My next question is the implications of using both at the same time.  Will OTG always override wifi even if wifi is connected first?  If it does, will wifi still on and connected to RC possibly degrade or interfere with wifi to Spark?  Again I know that some say there is no benefit to OTG but I honestly feel I have seen better performance or at lease less signal drop issues.  I use an iPhone and have also read that connection issues seem to be better on that platform.  I also noticed that if I connect both wifi and OTG I have a backup system.  If I disconnect wifi I still have connection and if I disconnect OTG it will almost instantly re-connect through wifi.  So using both has an advantage of back up connections but maybe interference may cause issues.  I hope to fly soon and use both at the same time and see what happens.
2017-7-20
Use props
cosmic68
Second Officer
Flight distance : 89042 ft
United Kingdom

Zacster Posted at 2017-7-20 08:31
I don't do it without Spark turned on.  But I due use OTG cable.  So I confirmed you are correct so thank you Aerial Ant!  So do you know why this would be?  I did notice that if I allow my wifi to connect then connect OTG, settings will remain and then disappear if I turn off wifi while OTG is still connected.  So I know there are conflicting reports of the improvements of using OTG over wifi but I feel that there have never been reports of negative uses of OTG.  So I therefor use OTG over wifi.  I also usually either turn off my wifi or never allow phone to connect to RC through wifi.  My next question is the implications of using both at the same time.  Will OTG always override wifi even if wifi is connected first?  If it does, will wifi still on and connected to RC possibly degrade or interfere with wifi to Spark?  Again I know that some say there is no benefit to OTG but I honestly feel I have seen better performance or at lease less signal drop issues.  I use an iPhone and have also read that connection issues seem to be better on that platform.  I also noticed that if I connect both wifi and OTG I have a backup system.  If I disconnect wifi I still have connection and if I disconnect OTG it will almost instantly re-connect through wifi.  So using both has an advantage of back up connections but maybe interference may cause issues.  I hope to fly soon and use both at the same time and see what happens.

Get flying soon Zacster-the next update of Spark firmware is REMOVING OTG cable access. I could cry.
2017-7-20
Use props
Monochrome
lvl.3
Flight distance : 12710 ft
Netherlands

They are not removing OTG with next update. Please don't spread false information.
They're working on official support for it so you can use their Goggles with Spark.
2017-7-20
Use props
cosmic68
Second Officer
United Kingdom

Monochrome Posted at 2017-7-20 08:56
They are not removing OTG with next update. Please don't spread false information.
They're working on official support for it so you can use their Goggles with Spark.

Goggles not iOS.
2017-7-20
Use props
cosmic68
Second Officer
United Kingdom

Monochrome Posted at 2017-7-20 08:56

see;

Here

here

For iOS as OP states he has-OTG gone on latest firmware. nothing to suggest it's coming back. Not false information, but current fact.
2017-7-20
Use props
Monochrome
lvl.3
Flight distance : 12710 ft
Netherlands

It's beta firmware. Goggles will be supported on Spark through OTG on iOS as well so it will not be removed.
Edit: But yes if you have this beta RC firmware it is disabled on iOS.[not android]

2017-7-21
Use props
cosmic68
Second Officer
United Kingdom

Monochrome Posted at 2017-7-21 08:18
It's beta firmware. Goggles will be supported on Spark through OTG on iOS as well so it will not be removed.
Edit: But yes if you have this beta RC firmware it is disabled on iOS.[not android]

As much as I would love you to be right-i fear you may be wrong. This seems to be a purely a licensing agreement issue with Apple and the MFI program as per engineers chatter on other quad forums. I imagine its why you get the 'this device is not supported' message.
You seem very confident OTG will stay on iOS-where are you getting your information from (as said previously-not being snarky, am just disappointed its being removed and hope you are right)? Do you have any links etc?

Its probably also why the customisable buttons don't stick-its not Apple MFI certified (OPs original question).
2017-7-21
Use props
Zacster
lvl.1
United States

cosmic68 Posted at 2017-7-21 09:38
As much as I would love you to be right-i fear you may be wrong. This seems to be a purely a licensing agreement issue with Apple and the MFI program as per engineers chatter on other quad forums. I imagine its why you get the 'this device is not supported' message.
You seem very confident OTG will stay on iOS-where are you getting your information from (as said previously-not being snarky, am just disappointed its being removed and hope you are right)? Do you have any links etc?

I can confirm that OTG is working fine after this latest Firmware update on iOS.  I have no idea if they will remove it in the future.
2017-8-6
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules