Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Unable to fly / update my Phantom 4 : HELP
12Next >
2021 43 2017-7-18
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
timfmatthews
New
United Arab Emirates

Hi there,

Apologies for probably typing up an issue that has been covered. I have spent a couple of hours researching a fix and not found anything.

I have a Phantom 4 and not used it in a few months since the new app has come out. (I am on Android and Windows btw)

So downloaded the latest DJI App 4.0 and was not able to connect. So figured it was because the drone was out of date. Before I could do this on the phone but now we have to do it through the DJI Assistant is this correct?

At the minute I have downloaded the program on my computer. I have tried it on several machines and not been successful on connecting the phantom 4 to the application.

I am on Version V1.1.2-2 (which is the latest)
I have tried several cables, several batteires and several computuers.
Please can someone help me please.

2017-7-18
Use props
Patager
lvl.1
Flight distance : 61437 ft
United Kingdom

Don't worry if it's
2017-7-18
Use props
Patager
lvl.1
United Kingdom

Try downloading the latest Assistant Prog from DJI, I still have Big problems myself - Flashing Green/red controller. Massive frequency interference message, cannot connect to app correctly - Plus after 1 hour with DJI on their helpline I am still no closer to getting things sorted. The app says update but I have done that  - thats where I went wrong I think?
2017-7-18
Use props
timfmatthews
New
United Arab Emirates

Hi Patager,

Thanks for your help. What do I download? - http://www.dji.com/phantom-4/info#downloads
I have installed the latest Assistant which is V1.1.2-2

Cheers,
T
2017-7-18
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

You need to power on the drone when you connect it with DJI Assistant 2. If you can not connect the drone with the application, could you read the folders of the craft? If yes, it is considered that the drive of DJI assistant 2 installed unsuccessfully. Please try to reinstall it.
Here's the upgrading tutorial:
But since you'd tried several computers and cables, if you can also not read the folders in the drone, it may consider being the port's issue.  
2017-7-18
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator

Patager Posted at 2017-7-18 00:41
Try downloading the latest Assistant Prog from DJI, I still have Big problems myself - Flashing Green/red controller. Massive frequency interference message, cannot connect to app correctly - Plus after 1 hour with DJI on their helpline I am still no closer to getting things sorted. The app says update but I have done that  - thats where I went wrong I think?

Did you mean that you had this case happened after upgrading the drone firmware?
If so, the flashing green/red on the controller might mean your RC also needs to upgrade. Please connect your app with the RC and connect to the internet to get the upgrading reminder.
2017-7-18
Use props
Aardvark
Captain
Flight distance : 384432 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Patager Posted at 2017-7-18 00:41

As suggested above, your controller needs to be updated as well. This is not done through Assistant2 (As was the aircraft), but is performed as an OTA (Over The Air) installation through the wifi on the display device used. If the RC is not updated then you will experience problems similar to what you describe.

Connect RC to display and power both up (aircraft off), device needs good wifi connect. Run DJI Go 4, and when in main screen tap on status bar at top of screen. The top line of the drop down list should give current firmware status. If RC needs updating it should say 'Firmware Update' (or similar) and a red triangle to the right of message. Tap on that line and it should ruin through the RC update process (make sure RC well charged). Power all down when completed , repower all and that should be it.
2017-7-18
Use props
Patager
lvl.1
United Kingdom

Aardvark Posted at 2017-7-18 02:26
As suggested above, your controller needs to be updated as well. This is not done through Assistant2 (As was the aircraft), but is performed as an OTA (Over The Air) installation through the wifi on the display device used. If the RC is not updated then you will experience problems similar to what you describe.

Connect RC to display and power both up (aircraft off), device needs good wifi connect. Run DJI Go 4, and when in main screen tap on status bar at top of screen. The top line of the drop down list should give current firmware status. If RC needs updating it should say 'Firmware Update' (or similar) and a red triangle to the right of message. Tap on that line and it should ruin through the RC update process (make sure RC well charged). Power all down when completed , repower all and that should be it.

Thats where my problem lay - I cannot get the App (Tab) to talk to the controller for long enough to do the update. I see the red band with firmware update but when I tap it I get an image to connect the drone to the tab directly - when I do this nothing happens?
2017-7-18
Use props
Aardvark
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Patager Posted at 2017-7-18 03:05
Thats where my problem lay - I cannot get the App (Tab) to talk to the controller for long enough to do the update. I see the red band with firmware update but when I tap it I get an image to connect the drone to the tab directly - when I do this nothing happens?

You are connecting tablet to RC before running DJI Go 4, and not when its running ?

You need to make sure all is connected before attempting the update.

The way I am reading this is that you are running DJI Go 4 and then connecting (or possibly trying to reconnect) after the Application has been started.

EDIT:- You have tried a different lead to connect RC to display device ?
2017-7-18
Use props
Aardvark
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I think the image may be more of a reminder rather than a direct instruction, so if already connected try and proceed from there (I'm trying to work from memory here)

Can you post a screen shot or video as it progresses through each step ?
2017-7-18
Use props
Patager
lvl.1
United Kingdom

Aardvark Posted at 2017-7-18 03:59
I think the image may be more of a reminder rather than a direct instruction, so if already connected try and proceed from there (I'm trying to work from memory here)

Can you post a screen shot or video as it progresses through each step ?

Thanks for all that Aavark, I will make  a video late when I get in from work. But to recap on the procedure I am doing. As always I turn on the tablet, then the Controller - then the Samsung Tab offers me a choice of DJI go 4 or Litchi in the bottom of the screen. I choose DJI Go 4..... then slower than usual the app starts and I can see the comms with DJI starts on the top left with the blue band which turns red and says I have to update. I tap the band then an image pops up telling me to plug the tab directly into the aircraft but when I do its as if the app has frozen, it does nothing. I have re-installed everything twice and updated the AC on my mac using the latest Assistant. If I ignore the update on the DG4 screen and allow to go into the app - I get no info at all on the controller or the AC and its camera. I have always flown and updated in the same fashion for 18 months. But I will make the video - If I send it off to DJI repairs I learn nothing for the future. You guys out there are great - thanks for your attention. All the best from the U.K
2017-7-18
Use props
Aardvark
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Patager Posted at 2017-7-18 04:32
Thanks for all that Aavark, I will make  a video late when I get in from work. But to recap on the procedure I am doing. As always I turn on the tablet, then the Controller - then the Samsung Tab offers me a choice of DJI go 4 or Litchi in the bottom of the screen. I choose DJI Go 4..... then slower than usual the app starts and I can see the comms with DJI starts on the top left with the blue band which turns red and says I have to update. I tap the band then an image pops up telling me to plug the tab directly into the aircraft but when I do its as if the app has frozen, it does nothing. I have re-installed everything twice and updated the AC on my mac using the latest Assistant. If I ignore the update on the DG4 screen and allow to go into the app - I get no info at all on the controller or the AC and its camera. I have always flown and updated in the same fashion for 18 months. But I will make the video - If I send it off to DJI repairs I learn nothing for the future. You guys out there are great - thanks for your attention. All the best from the U.K

For the RC update you do not need to connect to aircraft, I expect that is the problem, you maybe need to just leave connected as is and continue. Remember don't turn on aircraft when doing this.

I completed the Aircraft update using DJI Assistant 2, the did my RC via the App.

Most of us are just ordinary users like yourself, a public forum. The DJI people such as DJI Thor above, are marked as Administrator or Moderator. For the rest of us mortals the descriptions are just Bling....
2017-7-18
Use props
Patager
lvl.1
United Kingdom

DJI Thor Posted at 2017-7-18 01:16
Did you mean that you had this case happened after upgrading the drone firmware?
If so, the flashing green/red on the controller might mean your RC also needs to upgrade. Please connect your app with the RC and connect to the internet to get the upgrading reminder.

Yes - only after upgrade - As always I turn on the tablet, then the Controller - then the Samsung Tab offers me a choice of DJI go 4 or Litchi in the bottom of the screen. I choose DJI Go 4..... then slower than usual the app starts and I can see the comms with DJI starts on the top left with the blue band which turns red and says I have to update. I tap the band then an image pops up telling me to plug the tab directly into the aircraft but when I do its as if the app has frozen, it does nothing. I have re-installed everything twice and updated the AC on my mac using the latest Assistant. If I ignore the update on the DG4 screen and allow to go into the app - I get no info at all on the controller or the AC and its camera. I have always flown and updated in the same fashion for 18 months. But I will make the video - If I send it off to DJI repairs I learn nothing for the future.  Just can't seem to get the Controller to talk to the App?
2017-7-18
Use props
Patager
lvl.1
United Kingdom

Aardvark Posted at 2017-7-18 04:39
For the RC update you do not need to connect to aircraft, I expect that is the problem, you maybe need to just leave connected as is and continue. Remember don't turn on aircraft when doing this.

I completed the Aircraft update using DJI Assistant 2, the did my RC via the App.

Thanks again - By the way I have tried this on a 7" Samsung A Tablet, a Samsung Note 12.1 inch, a Samsung Phone Note 4, and my Samsung Galaxy S5 (all have worked in the past, using 3 separate and interchangeable USB cables. (I have been thorough) lol.   I will try not turning the aircraft on. Incidentally I did plug the Controller into the MAC and DJI Assistant and it looks as if you can do the update though I did not try.  Just an observation.  
2017-7-18
Use props
Patager
lvl.1
United Kingdom

Aardvark Posted at 2017-7-18 04:39

Unbelievable!! I did try your method of powering up and entering DJI GO 4 before plugging in and it bloody worked! - Did not want to bore you with a video without trying your method first. Such small details make the difference of Flying or taking a hammer to the drone! LOL.

All works fine - except 2 problems have come from this update which were not so before.....
Cannot calibrate IMU without freezing on 2/6, and (only) on my Samsung Note 12 inch tablet. It all works in slow motion... i.e. I move the gimbal wheel and it moves accordingly but visually I cannot see the the screen move for 15 or so seconds. Crazy... fine on all other tabs and phones? However you have dob=ne enough and truly grateful. Regards
2017-7-18
Use props
Aardvark
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

That's great news, I think the logic is that if the aircraft is connected and powered up that it will check and update that first (hence the 'plug in aircraft' bit). If the aircraft is not connected then it will happily check and update controller.

The device problems may arise from DJI Go 4 as it evolves seems to need more computing resource.

Calibrations only need to be done once from one device (the one that works best):-

There are five calibrations on the P4:-

1) Sensors (Using DJI Assistant 2 v1.1.2-2, latest version), usually done just after update on Assistant 2.

2) IMU (level surface, make sure it's had time to cool down if it's been powered up, say half an hour at lowest ambient temperature, a cool evening or air conditioned room below 10 degrees C helps).  
Using the newer '3D' IMU calibration routine, my last two IMU calibrations have been done at about 20C ambient air temperature. The subsequent IMU warm up time when aircraft is first powered up and initialising does not seem to have been adversley affected, and warm up time is a few seconds at most.

3) Gimbal (just after IMU).

4) RC sticks (with aircraft off).

5) And compass (in an open area (not over steel reinforced concrete), away from ferrous materials or electromagnetic interference). Get one good calibration, and that should be all that is needed until informed by system or erratic flying that needs investigation. Note that any ferrous metals very close to legs (steel frame in desk, cutlery in kitchen drawer, windowsill strengthening etc) will generate a 'compass error', this does not mean compass needs recalibration. just move the aircraft away from source of interference.
2017-7-18
Use props
Aardvark
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

When you install DJI Assistant 2 there is also a USB driver installed. If this has not installed correctly then the aircraft will not be recognised when plugged into PC and powered up.

I would do a clean install of Assistant 2, when installing right click on file and 'run as Admin', keep an eye open for any background pop-ups asking you to accept the USB driver.

Edit:- if this is successful, when aircraft is plugged into a USB port for the first time then windows will take anything up to a minute to setup driver on that port (and any subsequent ports). After which the P4 icon should appear in Assistant 2 window.
2017-7-18
Use props
northbaydrones
lvl.1
United States

Aardvark Posted at 2017-7-18 12:53
When you install DJI Assistant 2 there is also a USB driver installed. If this has not installed correctly then the aircraft will not be recognised when plugged into PC and powered up.

I would do a clean install of Assistant 2, when installing right click on file and 'run as Admin', keep an eye open for any background pop-ups asking you to accept the USB driver.

Anybody get a message on the app after installing firmware.. that says connect aircraft to update your
data? i did this, nothing happens.. Im stuck in a 10 meter radius
2017-7-18
Use props
Aardvark
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

northbaydrones Posted at 2017-7-18 14:11
Anybody get a message on the app after installing firmware.. that says connect aircraft to update your
data? i did this, nothing happens.. Im stuck in a 10 meter radius

With all connected, try logging into your account on DJI Go 4, if already logged in, then log out and back in again.

Edit:- that should remove the 30 & 50m restrictions (10m sounds a bit odd ?).

2017-7-18
Use props
northbaydrones
lvl.1
United States

Aardvark Posted at 2017-7-18 14:38
With all connected, try logging into your account on DJI Go 4, if already logged in, then log out and back in again.

Edit:- that should remove the 30 & 50m restrictions (10m sounds a bit odd ?).

I wish, Ive been logging in and out all day..
2017-7-18
Use props
Aardvark
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

northbaydrones Posted at 2017-7-18 14:37
I wish, Ive been logging in and out all day..

So have you still to update RC & aircraft, or both done ?

I still think best to do aircraft via DJI Assistant 2, and RC by only method which is via App.

If you've done all, and restarted all, then try a factory refresh/reset in Assistant2 for aircraft or an RC reset re-link:-

2017-7-18
Use props
northbaydrones
lvl.1
United States

Aardvark Posted at 2017-7-18 14:50
So have you still to update RC & aircraft, or both done ?

I still think best to do aircraft via DJI Assistant 2, and RC by only method which is via App.

does anyone know some of the reasons
its limited to only 10 meters away
2017-7-18
Use props
northbaydrones
lvl.1
United States

northbaydrones Posted at 2017-7-18 15:34

yeas updated all those
2017-7-18
Use props
Aardvark
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Have a check of 'About' in 'General Settings' menu, just to make sure all is done. If yes then have you tried the aircraft firmware refresh reset as suggested ?

You could also try an RC reset/relink:-

* Turn on the controller, the aircraft should be off.
* Press C1, C2, and shutter (top right button nearest antenna) on the controller and hold for about 2 seconds or so until it beeps (D-DDD), then turn the controller off.
* Turn on both the aircraft and the controller and link the remote if needed. This can be done manually (without using DJI Go):-

* Turn on both the aircraft and the controller.
* Press C1, C2, and the record button (top left button) on the controller, then the controller will beep 'D-DD'.
*Let go all fingers, then press the wheel on the right side of the controller (It's a 'click wheel', similar to a mouse wheel)  and then the first light of the controller will become blue and it will constantly beep DDDD.
* Use a pen to click the linking button on the aircraft and hold for 3-5 seconds, and then take the pen off the aircraft and wait, it will be linked soon.
2017-7-18
Use props
northbaydrones
lvl.1
United States

Aardvark Posted at 2017-7-18 15:37
Have a check of 'About' in 'General Settings' menu, just to make sure all is done. If yes then have you tried the aircraft firmware refresh reset as suggested ?

thanks I will try
2017-7-18
Use props
northbaydrones
lvl.1
United States

Aardvark Posted at 2017-7-18 15:37

then what? all that worked so far...
2017-7-18
Use props
northbaydrones
lvl.1
United States

northbaydrones Posted at 2017-7-18 16:50

the relinking that is..
2017-7-18
Use props
Aardvark
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

northbaydrones Posted at 2017-7-18 16:50

Then check and see if still limited to 10m distance.
2017-7-18
Use props
northbaydrones
lvl.1
United States

so i relinked the craft and controller, same results
2017-7-18
Use props
Aardvark
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

northbaydrones Posted at 2017-7-18 16:53
so i relinked the craft and controller, same results

Sounds like you could have a broken or disconnected Antenna then, I can think of nothing else that would limit it to such a short distance.
2017-7-18
Use props
northbaydrones
lvl.1
United States

Aardvark Posted at 2017-7-18 16:58
Sounds like you could have a broken or disconnected Antenna then, I can think of nothing else that would limit it to such a short distance.

its got to be setting, as it announces maximum distance reached
2017-7-18
Use props
northbaydrones
lvl.1
United States

northbaydrones Posted at 2017-7-18 15:34

sorry I meant 30 meters, I know wow!
2017-7-18
Use props
northbaydrones
lvl.1
United States

Finally back to normal,, after reintalling the app again...
2017-7-18
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator

Patager Posted at 2017-7-18 04:43
Yes - only after upgrade - As always I turn on the tablet, then the Controller - then the Samsung Tab offers me a choice of DJI go 4 or Litchi in the bottom of the screen. I choose DJI Go 4..... then slower than usual the app starts and I can see the comms with DJI starts on the top left with the blue band which turns red and says I have to update. I tap the band then an image pops up telling me to plug the tab directly into the aircraft but when I do its as if the app has frozen, it does nothing. I have re-installed everything twice and updated the AC on my mac using the latest Assistant. If I ignore the update on the DG4 screen and allow to go into the app - I get no info at all on the controller or the AC and its camera. I have always flown and updated in the same fashion for 18 months. But I will make the video - If I send it off to DJI repairs I learn nothing for the future.  Just can't seem to get the Controller to talk to the App?

I learnt that you had your RC got back to work, congratulations and thanks for Aardvark's assistance.
So now you have a problem with calibrating IMU and lag image transmission right?
Imu should be calibrated with one mobile device on the water level, do that right after you power on the drone and get all connected.
Try another device to test if it is device caused.  Or do you notice about the noise of "HD"? If it shows red, interference will cause the lag of image transmission.
2017-7-18
Use props
Patager
lvl.1
United Kingdom

DJI Thor Posted at 2017-7-18 20:36
I learnt that you had your RC got back to work, congratulations and thanks for Aardvark's assistance.
So now you have a problem with calibrating IMU and lag image transmission right?
Imu should be calibrated with one mobile device on the water level, do that right after you power on the drone and get all connected.

Thanks Thor - Because all is good on Samsung A Tablet and both phones I think I may have problems with the Samsung Not Pro 12" Tablet. It is very Powerful in processing but starting to think the graphics card is not fast enough? The commands from the controller are instant but anything seen through the 12" Tablet are seen 12-15 seconds later.  Not a good way to fly!  

I will attempt IMU and compass tonight when I return home.  Yes Aardvark cured it by pointing out the order in which I do things.
2017-7-19
Use props
Patager
lvl.1
United Kingdom

Aardvark Posted at 2017-7-18 12:33
That's great news, I think the logic is that if the aircraft is connected and powered up that it will check and update that first (hence the 'plug in aircraft' bit). If the aircraft is not connected then it will happily check and update controller.

The device problems may arise from DJI Go 4 as it evolves seems to need more computing resource.

Thanks again Aardvark - I am certain you are right about the the Galaxy Note Pro - dated now, just not sure why it started this after the update - however, happy with the 7" A Tablet which is last years model and works fine.

Will do all of the Calibrations tonight - although finding a metal free are for the compass will be a trek! The IMUs do not care for Metal either right?   Also saw a Youtube on frequencies and interference - I have a Vodafone Pole 100 yards south of my garden. Looks like I could benefit from moving over to 5ghtz.
2017-7-19
Use props
Aardvark
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Patager Posted at 2017-7-19 07:02
Thanks again Aardvark - I am certain you are right about the the Galaxy Note Pro - dated now, just not sure why it started this after the update - however, happy with the 7" A Tablet which is last years model and works fine.

Will do all of the Calibrations tonight - although finding a metal free are for the compass will be a trek! The IMUs do not care for Metal either right?   Also saw a Youtube on frequencies and interference - I have a Vodafone Pole 100 yards south of my garden. Looks like I could benefit from moving over to 5ghtz.

IMU just needs a level surface, follow aircraft orientation exactly as on screen.  Compass in a reasonably clear area, I usually do my compass in back garden, but only when needs doing. As long as no large metal objects, electrical cables etc in the immediate vicinity then all should be OK. I usually have aircraft sitting on grass with RC about 5m away, start calibration on RC, walk forward, pick up aircraft & start turning. Watch the 'status' LEDs on the back arms. Once horizontal 360 degree turn completed you will see they change, that is indication to point aircraft face down, and repeat. When 360 completed rear LEDs will change again, indicating calibration complete. Takes about one minute.
2017-7-19
Use props
Patager
lvl.1
United Kingdom

Aardvark Posted at 2017-7-19 07:19
IMU just needs a level surface, follow aircraft orientation exactly as on screen.  Compass in a reasonably clear area, I usually do my compass in back garden, but only when needs doing. As long as no large metal objects, electrical cables etc in the immediate vicinity then all should be OK. I usually have aircraft sitting on grass with RC about 5m away, start calibration on RC, walk forward, pick up aircraft & start turning. Watch the 'status' LEDs on the back arms. Once horizontal 36 degree turn completed you will see they change, that is indication to point aircraft face down, and repeat. When 360 completed rear LEDs will change again, indicating calibration complete. Takes about one minute.

Thanks for all the help - weather permitting I should manage all that. In good time for Portugal in August.
People actually like drones (in my experience) there.  All the best
2017-7-19
Use props
luisFOSoares
lvl.1
Flight distance : 221578 ft

Netherlands

Patager Posted at 2017-7-19 07:43
Thanks for all the help - weather permitting I should manage all that. In good time for Portugal in August.
People actually like drones (in my experience) there.  All the best

Come to Portugal , nice weather !

Sure we like drones but take in consideration the law

Make a search for "voanaboa" website
2017-7-19
Use props
fans25f8961f
lvl.4
Flight distance : 12457 ft
United States

Patager Posted at 2017-7-19 06:53
Thanks Thor - Because all is good on Samsung A Tablet and both phones I think I may have problems with the Samsung Not Pro 12" Tablet. It is very Powerful in processing but starting to think the graphics card is not fast enough? The commands from the controller are instant but anything seen through the 12" Tablet are seen 12-15 seconds later.  Not a good way to fly!  

I will attempt IMU and compass tonight when I return home.  Yes Aardvark cured it by pointing out the order in which I do things.

Interesting that your tablet now shows serious video lag after the update.  I use Litchi on an LG G3 phone along with some cheap VR goggles, and ever since the latest firmware update, the video feed develops a 10-15 second video lag and the image is also choppy - this was never the case before the latest P4 fw update.  In my case, the video feed is ok on takeoff, but within a few minutes the lag develops and it's pretty much un-flyable.  Anyway, since I'm seeing the video feed lag in Litchi, possibly the lag in your case is not due to GO 4?  What Android version is your tablet which lags?  My phone is v6.0.
2017-7-19
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules