Litchi The Good The Bad & The Ugly
5887 18 2017-7-18
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Churubusco
lvl.4
Flight distance : 36 ft

United States

Would like to hear from others their opinion of Litchi. I have only used litchi since purchase of P3s. I have argtek and use icarus. Aside from issues every now and then with camera not displaying image on tablet I have had no major complaints. I have flown many autonomous missions with no issues. Because of the distance of my missions I will always disconnect either video, transmitter or both, however my P3s always seems to find its way home. Anyone have any experiences to share about Litchi either good or bad?
2017-7-18
Use props
RicardoGray
lvl.4
Flight distance : 4356421 ft
United States

I have used Litchi for probably a year now. I have an Advanced and it works flawlessly for me. It is what I use mostly. I have great confidence in it for sure. Obviously the main reason for Litchi is the missions for me. The ease of creating them on your PC and then uploading them to the Phantom is something I really like. I have flown places that I couldn't get to with the GO app, because of the loss of signal will trigger a RTH. I'm sure it is not for everybody, and I am always aware of my surroundings, but it is truly amazing you can upload the flight and it will complete the mission regardless of the signal. It is almost exciting to not have the video feed in a way, knowing that when the aircraft returns and you are able to take the sd-card out and view what video you captured. Too bad DJI can't do a better job with their waypoint program. It doesn't make sense to have to fly to every point , then record it and after all points recorded now you can fly the mission, but no way to save it off. Litchi has never caused me any issues when flying either. I think if you weren't careful though, you could get in trouble if you traveled too far. But I know for some of my friends that have Standard Phantoms , Litchi has been a life-saver because of the missions. I have several friends that were considering selling their Standard because of the range issues and Litchi totally changed how they are now able to fly.
2017-7-18
Use props
Bruce Bodnyk
lvl.2
Flight distance : 20112 ft
United States

I have had my Phantom 3 Standard for almost 1 year and use Litchi exclusively. Most of my flights are preprogrammed misisons on my laptop which are uploaded via Mission Hub. I've written my own Windows app to be able to create various missions programmatically which I again upload via Mission Hub. I've been exploring photogrammetry which requires consistent flight paths for the resulting images to be stitched together into a 2d mosaic or 3d model. Having my own software for waypoint creation makes the creation of complex flight paths fairly easy.
To create a 2d mosaic I use "Image Composite Editor" from Microsoft which is free and seems to do a reasonable job of stitching images together although I have better luck with processing video. For the 3d models I use VisualSFM along with MeshLab.

I have played it fairly safe up to know and have never flown a mission where I lost RC or video signals although it is reassuring to know that Litchi will continue the mission as long as it has GPS.

Bruce
2017-7-18
Use props
Knobbynomates
lvl.4
Flight distance : 18504 ft
United Kingdom

Bruce Bodnyk Posted at 2017-7-18 07:57
I have had my Phantom 3 Standard for almost 1 year and use Litchi exclusively. Most of my flights are preprogrammed misisons on my laptop which are uploaded via Mission Hub. I've written my own Windows app to be able to create various missions programmatically which I again upload via Mission Hub. I've been exploring photogrammetry which requires consistent flight paths for the resulting images to be stitched together into a 2d mosaic or 3d model. Having my own software for waypoint creation makes the creation of complex flight paths fairly easy.
To create a 2d mosaic I use "Image Composite Editor" from Microsoft which is free and seems to do a reasonable job of stitching images together although I have better luck with processing video. For the 3d models I use VisualSFM along with MeshLab.

The only time I've ever had Litchi do anything I didn't expect is when I've programmed it wrong!

Usually it's a mission with the camera facing the wrong way because I forget to set it to automatic
2017-7-18
Use props
MerlinL14
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2858 ft
United Kingdom

Been using Litchi since the DJI GO debacle where the home point got all it's knickers in a twist and have had no reason to go back to the GO app. Can't say I have had a single issue with it that I could say was the apps fault. I use Litchi and Icarus (new update for FW 1.9.02 out now) with Argtek system. Personally I think the guys at DJI should sack the GO programmers and pay Litchi to develop it further as they are far better at it than DJI in house tech's (or so it seems).
2017-7-18
Use props
Mark The Droner
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2917 ft
United States

When I took scuba lessons the instructor recommended we get the basic mask, not the one with the purge valve.  Purging is a simple matter of lifting the mask from above your lip and exhaling through your nose.  You don't need a purge valve.  The more complicated things get, the greater the chance things that can go wrong.  

I think that same thinking can apply to a flight app.

Litchi is all I use.  Love it.  I haven't used a DJI Flight app since 2015.  
2017-7-18
Use props
Delta Nine
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Litchi is all I use.  Love it.

2017-7-18
Use props
Callatis
lvl.4
Flight distance : 511112 ft
Canada

Did anyone use Litchi on P4 with the latest firmware?
2017-7-18
Use props
Fretman_2
lvl.1
United States

Delta Nine Posted at 2017-7-18 15:03

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5L8KObUGUkk

Beautiful video and I congratulate you on your taste in music!
2017-7-19
Use props
Salmonslayer
lvl.4
Flight distance : 100220 ft
Canada

What is Icarus?
I'm a newbe only about 6 months into my P3S but having problems with my DJI GO. Is litchi easy enough for a newbe to run
Thanks
2017-7-21
Use props
Porktree
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1118323 ft
  • >>>
United States

Salmonslayer Posted at 2017-7-21 10:46
What is Icarus?
I'm a newbe only about 6 months into my P3S but having problems with my DJI GO. Is litchi easy enough for a newbe to run
Thanks

Icarus is an Android app that let's you increase the broadcast strength of your video wifi.  A similar product called MagicPower will let you do the same thing from a Windows PC.  

I just bought Litchi yesterday.  The mission hub is awesome.  I created a mission around my home while I was at work and flew it when I got home.  I'm sure it's been answered before, but with Litchi I can set a mission to start 2 miles away, and my quad will fly to the start point and do the mission, if I set my last way-point near enough for me to connect then I can connect and fly home.  

Also - at the end of a mission, does the aircraft return to 'Manual Flying' - in that if it finishes a mission, and does not have a signal from the RC it will do the action you've set in preferences (Return Home)?

I can't believe I've had a drone for over half a year and didn't spend the money on the Litchi app.
2017-7-25
Use props
Flying Wolf_NOL
lvl.4
Flight distance : 345827 ft
  • >>>
United States

Porktree Posted at 2017-7-25 13:12
Icarus is an Android app that let's you increase the broadcast strength of your video wifi.  A similar product called MagicPower will let you do the same thing from a Windows PC.  

I just bought Litchi yesterday.  The mission hub is awesome.  I created a mission around my home while I was at work and flew it when I got home.  I'm sure it's been answered before, but with Litchi I can set a mission to start 2 miles away, and my quad will fly to the start point and do the mission, if I set my last way-point near enough for me to connect then I can connect and fly home.  

Interesting, I've always kept start and end points very near my control position. Once the mission is complete, I flip the switch from 'F' (function) back into 'P' model (GPS) and fly home that way.  I have the p3(4k), that's how it works for me at least.

I also have the P4P, but haven't had the guts to try a Litchi mission with it yet. I'll stick to sending the p3 out there should something go wrong.  However, I've never had any issues with Litchi. The one crash I had was all my fault, not that of the app. It's a killer app and can do things that even the most experienced pilots cannot.  
2017-7-25
Use props
Irate Retro
lvl.4
United States

I use Litchi because DJI Go 4 video doesn't work worth a darn on my cheap tablet.

The only thing I don't like about Litchi is it doesn't show me 2 helpful pieces of info that DJI Go does:  Altitude above terrain when low (from the ultrasonic sensor or whatever), and it also doesn't show me distance from an obstacle.  Why did Litchi choose to leave these out??

Until I read this thread I didn't even know Litchi could fly your drone without a reliable RC signal.  That is awesome!  And Bruce-  Thanks for the info on free 3D modeling tools.  Glad I read this thread.
2017-7-25
Use props
tasoskefalas
New

United Kingdom

Hi everyone! Apologies for barging in, but I'm new to the drone life and was wondering for some advice. I'm currently using the DJI phantom 3 standard. And the go app on my oneplus 6 is very choppy and laggy with the live feed. I've tried multiple guides but to no success. I was wondering if anyone knows if the Litchi app will get past this problem for me? If that makes sense. I'm not after much just smoothness when operating my drone in order to capture what I want. Thanks!
2018-11-30
Use props
Spacetrakker
Second Officer
Flight distance : 115384 ft
Australia

That is some of the best Drone video photography I have seen. Well done!!  

2018-12-4
Use props
Sayhelloforme
lvl.4
Flight distance : 8133219 ft
United States

Starting to try it out now.  
2018-12-5
Use props
Dumbthumbs
lvl.3
Flight distance : 7972 ft
United States

Excellent.
2018-12-6
Use props
R&L Aerial photography
Second Officer
Flight distance : 298100 ft
  • >>>
United States

I use litchi exclusively, I can not say enough good things about it, DJI should hire the developer of this app.. I have flown many missions beyond radio range, sometime I press takeoff and go in the house, forget until I hear the drone land 20 minutes later. Always comes back with nice shots. I know,I know fly within sight bla,bla,bla so arrest me...
2018-12-6
Use props
R&L Aerial photography
Second Officer
Flight distance : 298100 ft
  • >>>
United States

tasoskefalas Posted at 11-30 07:44
Hi everyone! Apologies for barging in, but I'm new to the drone life and was wondering for some advice. I'm currently using the DJI phantom 3 standard. And the go app on my oneplus 6 is very choppy and laggy with the live feed. I've tried multiple guides but to no success. I was wondering if anyone knows if the Litchi app will get past this problem for me? If that makes sense. I'm not after much just smoothness when operating my drone in order to capture what I want. Thanks!

It should help because litchi is far less taxing on your devices CPU. Every time I’ve had lagging issues, green screen, ect.ect, with the DJI go app I’ve switch over to litchi and problems were solved....
2018-12-6
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules