4048 12 2017-7-18
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
hyprfrco
lvl.2
Flight distance : 10148 ft
Chile

Hello buddies!,

Is there any GPS Repeater for DJI, in particular, for Mavic Drones?

Lets, say, that you purchase three repeaters, fixed on a closed area, in where you want to have a "very good" positioning like in tripod mode, or under low gain controller setups, but without GPS drifts. Having own configured GPS repeaters, you would add three sure gps points, in which your drone could be safely tied, and given the obvious closer distance, the positioning would be much better.

This sort of equipment should be able to feedback your drone with a more precise, grounded, station, for positioning.

Is there any product which could serve for DJI / Mavic Pro drones, able to fulfill this request?
2017-7-18
Use props
rnrnrn
lvl.4
Flight distance : 430932 ft
Germany

Hi,

What you are talking about is pretty much non-existent on the market, completely, at all. It would take a hell of a lot of programing to be able to tie it to a device and would be also need a lot of beta-testing etc.

So unless you feel like developing this - no chance at all ;-)

Cheers!
2017-7-19
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

We do not have this accessory and actually, we also don't recommend any unauthenticated third-party parts mounting on the Mavic Pro or warranty repair service will not be provided. Thank you for your understanding.
2017-7-19
Use props
hyprfrco
lvl.2
Chile

I am not being understood very well. I am not saying about a device mounted in the mavic, but GPS repeaters or references fixed on a closed area, grounded, in the soil, able to mimic a GPS signal, but instead of being far away, being just few meters close.
2017-7-19
Use props
GSI_IRE
lvl.3
Flight distance : 121460 ft
Ireland

Hi,

I am not sure of your logic.

So the mavic will use beacons on the ground to get its GPS signal rather than GPS satellites?

I can see 2 potential issues immediately. GPS relies on line of sight. So the first issue is that anything on the ground is going to have a poorer line of sight with the GPS satellite compared to the mavic which will be higher up, but I do concede being stationary its less likely to loose signal with the GPS satellite.

However, the major issue would be line of sight from the mavic to your stationary beacons? Your mavic (when functioning correctly) is connected to between 14-19 satellites. So loosing LOS with a single sat behind a tree or something is not typically a problem (5% to 8% loss of signal). But if you are relying on 3 or 4 ground beacons, a loss of signal would be catastrophic, 25% to 33% loss of signal?

The issue with GPS is not distance. Its a system designed to be used this way and is extremely accurate. Its why its in use rather than a ground based system. Any issues we have with the mavic and going to  ATTI mode for example are entirely with the drone as the GPS sat's dont simple go dark etc. So any solution needs to be based on why the mavic has a problem, and not with the accuracy or distance away from the GPS sat's. Its good to think out of the box for sure, but I am wouldnt be convinced this is the best solution.

Thats just my 2 cent anyway.
2017-7-19
Use props
fansae6de894
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1539 ft
United States

hyprfrco Posted at 2017-7-19 04:27
I am not being understood very well. I am not saying about a device mounted in the mavic, but GPS repeaters or references fixed on a closed area, grounded, in the soil, able to mimic a GPS signal, but instead of being far away, being just few meters close.

I think what you are referring to is what the agriculture community uses to get more precise positioning.   They use fixed towers in conjunction with the satellites.   The towers are not, "repeaters"  they are addition timing sources.   I don't believe that the sources are in the same band as GPS so, would require an additional radio in the Mavic.  Also, I don't think the cost to benefit ration would work out so good.  The Mavic is already very precises...
2017-7-19
Use props
V_kingo
lvl.4
Flight distance : 310157 ft
Chile

I think you are talking about something like this:

https://www.gps-repeaters.com/
2017-7-19
Use props
hyprfrco
lvl.2
Chile

@V_kingo... well yes i asked for repeaters, but... i am most on the @fansae6de894 concept, of having ground station for precise location, being able to transmit as another satellite, in order the drone get more precision.
2017-7-19
Use props
GSI_IRE
lvl.3
Flight distance : 121460 ft
Ireland

But the drones already have exceptional precision? I have walked my mavic through a wood within inches of trees and branches without as much as a twitch. The entire time it was maintaining its position with the help of on board censors and GPS.

As I mentioned before, anytime it has issues with its positioning (losing connectivity with the GPS sats for example) the fault is with the drone (either user failure or hardware failure), not the GPS satellite system.
And as the Mavic has shown with the amount of disconnects reported from the controller, that having something closer to connect to is not going to mean its more reliable.
2017-7-20
Use props
djiuser_PkzIbYspiJqb
lvl.1

United States

I am also curious about this.  I am setting up a warehouse and would like to use my MA in a automated mode. Roof height is 80 feet so I have the clearance for return to home. Problem is poor GPS signal. I am wanting to take these repeaters and place the throughout the warehouse so we can have a strong GPS  and automation can be used. I am trying to look into how to ampliy or redirect the GPS signal. Any ideas?  
2019-3-3
Use props
HereForTheBeer
First Officer
Flight distance : 5381368 ft
  • >>>
United States

GPS repeaters dont exist as such, where are GPS beacons and ground station units however not entirely sure this would actually offer any aid in such scenarios..   when flying indoors or close to the ground under a canopy you have VPS and IMU system to stabilize and position.  this does require enough lighting however... but works up to around 24-30 feet in height from the ground, pretty easily.

2019-3-3
Use props
Keule
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3733015 ft
  • >>>
Germany

djiuser_PkzIbYspiJqb Posted at 3-3 10:58
I am also curious about this.  I am setting up a warehouse and would like to use my MA in a automated mode. Roof height is 80 feet so I have the clearance for return to home. Problem is poor GPS signal. I am wanting to take these repeaters and place the throughout the warehouse so we can have a strong GPS  and automation can be used. I am trying to look into how to ampliy or redirect the GPS signal. Any ideas?

Look at the following link: https://www.gps-repeater.com/en/gps-repeaters/
Depending on your budget, these repeaters can be setup as you described in your scenario.
2019-3-3
Use props
jahasw
lvl.1
Flight distance : 122195 ft
Finland

mounting a gopro camera and a mini gimbal on top of a mavic 2 disrupts gps signal severely. so, would a small signal repeater / enhancer either onboard or on the ground help with gps gain lock?
OTOH some battery operated bluetooth gps modules could maybe be used in similar situations where gps signal is debatable. if only mavic had the support for it or DJI release their own emergency positioning module or some helper mode to avoid catastrophies when losing gps signal. just trying to find some ideas for flying with a second camera.

2019-7-15
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules