P4 Should I Update to the Newest Firmware from 1.02.0503
1096 13 2017-7-19
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fans7bca4919
lvl.1

United States

Hello All,
I am new to Phantoms. I have used bebops in the past. I bought a used p4 drone and am working through some issues.

Should I upgrade from firmware 1.02.0503 to the newest 2.00.0106?

It does fly but occasionally gets a gimbal joint sensor initilization error upon start.

What am I losing or gaining from the upgrade. The current firmware is over a year old. I am worried about the possibility of a bricked drone during update and the flight restrictions once installed.

Really appreciate it
Force

2017-7-19
Use props
olefolks
lvl.2
United States

There are a number of varibles involved here.  What kind of problems are you having now?  What device are you using? You might want to read the "release" notes re the new FW.
2017-7-19
Use props
usarfireman
lvl.4
Flight distance : 79957 ft
United Kingdom

Straight answer NO! Wait until the firmware issue has been resolved else you may also end up with an expensive door stop
2017-7-19
Use props
fans7bca4919
lvl.1

United States

usarfireman Posted at 2017-7-19 07:32
Straight answer NO! Wait until the firmware issue has been resolved else you may also end up with an expensive door stop

Thanks ole and fireman ,
I don't have many issues , it flys  well overall. I do get an occasional gimbal joint angle sensor initilizarion error upon startup . It flys and records even with that error .

I was more thinking about the update for the upgrades . I am super new to the phantom so still have to learn what it currently does .

Thanks
Force
2017-7-19
Use props
Otto4
lvl.2
Flight distance : 162812 ft
Norway

Do not upgrade now, the new firmware is usless and full og bugs, making the drone usless! wait and see at the response on the new improved firmware when released
2017-7-19
Use props
HomePoint
lvl.4
Flight distance : 776007 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

If the drone is new to you as you say, then I guess you want to get some good flying in, and in its current state it doesn't appear to stop you enjoying the Phantom4, so I would stay as you are as suggested by others.  Myself, I didn't have the issues that many had here on the forums with the update and can fly effortlessly and trouble free, so I could actually say go ahead the new features and benefits are great.  But what if I had the issues others had?  I would have complained and stamped my feet like they have done and rightly so.

It's a difficult question to answer, because when a new fix comes out then that becomes the new firmware and untested by us all.
2017-7-19
Use props
Slipstrm111
lvl.2
Flight distance : 5256 ft
United States

Do not upgrade!! The new firmware has worked for many, but its grounded a bunch too, I have been unable to fly for 12 days.
2017-7-19
Use props
fans7bca4919
lvl.1

United States

Slipstrm111 Posted at 2017-7-19 13:04
Do not upgrade!! The new firmware has worked for many, but its grounded a bunch too, I have been unable to fly for 12 days.

I really appreciate everyone's response. I was ready to upgrade but didn't hear about all these issues and  now will wait . I have not even used all the existing features so won't be missing anything . It's funny how the big red update notification shows up like an error if your not fully updated .

Did other firmware releases  brick this many drones ?
Thanks again all
Force
2017-7-19
Use props
Blériot53
Captain
Flight distance : 6188465 ft
  • >>>
France

If you are satisfied that the drone is reliable at the moment, I would NOT do the update. There are too many uncertainties with dubious FIRMWARE and SOFTWARE bugs, in the latest upgrades.  I am waiting until a more reliable upgrade comes along (if ever) as my system is working OK at the moment.
2017-7-19
Use props
SomeoneElsesDro
lvl.4
Flight distance : 419669 ft
United Kingdom

If I were you I'd upgrade. It's much more fun flying like an angry erratic bee with one eye and tourette syndrome than it is flying a stable Phantom 4. Stable and smooth is for pu**ys

2017-7-19
Use props
Blériot53
Captain
Flight distance : 6188465 ft
  • >>>
France

SomeoneElsesDro Posted at 2017-7-19 14:04
If I were you I'd upgrade. It's much more fun flying like an angry erratic bee with one eye and tourette syndrome than it is flying a stable Phantom 4. Stable and smooth is for pu**ys

Miaow!  
2017-7-19
Use props
Aardvark
Second Officer
Flight distance : 384432 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Even I couldn't Trump that reply.
2017-7-19
Use props
fans7bca4919
lvl.1

United States

Lol,
I'll wait for the "Bee upgrade" until I've had it for longer .
2017-7-19
Use props
fansc8e79578
New
Flight distance : 112644 ft

Canada

I just did the upgrade,,,don't do it...I have p4.  Trouble ever since,
2017-7-19
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules