Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Moving from iPhone to Android
12Next >
3540 50 2017-7-20
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Samc123
lvl.1
Flight distance : 88386 ft
United Kingdom

Hi All

How does DJI GO run on Android? Any issues?

I currently use it on my iPhone and it works as it should, but will be moving to an S8 in the next few days. Has anyone used DJI with an S8?

Thanks,
2017-7-20
Use props
JelloMaster
lvl.3
Flight distance : 7228 ft
United Kingdom

Worst decision you could make. It runs abysmally on Android.    If you can keep the old iPhone just for use with the DJI GO app then do that.    A quick search on this forum will reveal just how bad it is.
2017-7-20
Use props
Flycaster
lvl.4
United States

Best to run a version of Andyroids 1 level back from current version (which is Nougat)
The best one is Marshmallow for the DJI.
They prefer IOS, and threw a bone to the Andyroids OS.....
2017-7-20
Use props
jeebs-9
lvl.4
Flight distance : 174262 ft
United States

Agree with both post above.
2017-7-20
Use props
Pumavic
lvl.3
United States

Some folks experienced battery drain on the S8 if they weren't proactive about and manually close the app out so it didn't keep running and draining battery after you fly. I've been using my HTC U11 and there has been no ill effects, no app crashes, no battery drain at all...so far no issues to report.
2017-7-20
Use props
EastyT
lvl.4
Flight distance : 970374 ft
United States

Jellomaster above has the right idea, good advice.
2017-7-20
Use props
Mari
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1308780 ft
Netherlands

... because of the problems with the app on Android I recently switch to iOS... best decision I made....
2017-7-20
Use props
dronist
Second Officer
  • >>>
Canada

IOS... ALL THE WAY!
2017-7-20
Use props
JelloMaster
lvl.3
Flight distance : 7228 ft
United Kingdom

Dirty Bird Posted at 2017-7-20 15:48
WTH are you talking about?  Go runs fine on Android.  I've been running Go on multiple Android devices for 2 years with no problem.  Its like iOS fruit people have some sort of superiority complex!

Actually, I've never owned an iPhone and never will. It's Android all the way for me and you'll couldn't pay me to make the swap.

However, I tried using the GO4 app on my Nexus 5x and it crashed every flight without fail. I then dug out my old HTC One M7, factory reset it and only installed the GO4 app and it ran without crashing which was fine, except that I was getting choppy video and the feed would sometimes black out which again made for nervous flying.

I've now swapped to using an iPad to fly with and it's been seemless every flight, as much as it pains me to say it!!!

A quick browse of this forum clearly reveals Go runs anything but fine on Android.
2017-7-20
Use props
RobDownUnder
lvl.4
Flight distance : 103609 ft
Australia

I am a real newbie and run on S8 edge Samsung. No problems so far. The edge screen however is not have good access to the return button nor the upper bar for settings. I get around this by getting everything set before locking into controller arms. S7 Edge is better for access.
2017-7-21
Use props
UCBarkeeper
lvl.3
Flight distance : 616982 ft
Switzerland

WTH are you talking about?  Go runs fine on Android.  I've been running Go on multiple Android devices for 2 years with no problem.  Its like iOS fruit people have some sort of superiority complex!

well this forum tells another story at all...
2017-7-21
Use props
fansf7330ccc
lvl.1
Flight distance : 7618 ft
  • >>>
Australia

just did a maiden flight on htc u play (android 6 marsh...) worked without a crash. I did only fly about 5 minutes as it was too windy but so far GO app seem solid.
2017-7-21
Use props
MARSAN
lvl.4
Flight distance : 966978 ft
Belgium

I am using my Samsung Galaxy S8 with the DJI GO 4 version 4.1.3 and I have absolutely no problems at all.
Power drain on the S8 battery is virtually unnoticeable even after flying 4 consecutive Mavic batteries.
From my personal experience I can definitely advise you to go ahead.
On the S8 it is even possible to put apps to sleep automatically when not in use. This works very well.

Those people complaining about the DJI GO 4 crashing on their phones do not say the whole truth.
What obnoxious apps are they running besides DJI GO 4?
Are their phones jailbroken or rooted?  

BTW, I am not the only one on this board who is happy with the S8 and using DJI GO 4.
2017-7-21
Use props
alex_markov
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 39244380 ft
  • >>>
Bulgaria

Standard battle Android vs IOS ;)
I'll toss my 50 cents:
I have started on Samsung S7 (had one fly with S8 as well) no major issues besides one app crash for 36 flights.
I have moved to iPad mini 2 for bigger screen - had Mobile CPU 100% and one app crash for 5 flights
Switched to iPad mini 4 - had no issues up to now besides I upgraded IOS to 11 beta 2 in order to use screen recording and now I  think the video Is a little choppy but might be it is subjective feeling as I read somewhere for such a problem ;) so not a real problem. The only problem in current setup for me is that I mount iPad to remote I sinc flights and look at them on android phones  - problem is that IOS version of DJI GO4 did not recognize all flights done with android devices (minor annoyance ;) )
2017-7-21
Use props
MARSAN
lvl.4
Belgium

I agree with you.
DJI GO 4 runs perfectly well on my Samsung Galaxy S8.
Battery drain is ridiculously low (even after flying 4 Mavic batteries) and when I'm finished using DJI GO 4, it goes back to sleep.
2017-7-21
Use props
alex_markov
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Bulgaria

MARSAN Posted at 2017-7-21 01:43
I agree with you.
DJI GO 4 runs perfectly well on my Samsung Galaxy S8.
Battery drain is ridiculously low (even after flying 4 Mavic batteries) and when I'm finished using DJI GO 4, it goes back to sleep.

Lucky You on my S8 If not force closed DJI GO 4 is draining 2-3% per hour
2017-7-21
Use props
MARSAN
lvl.4
Belgium

alex_markov Posted at 2017-7-21 06:04
Lucky You on my S8 If not force closed DJI GO 4 is draining 2-3% per hour

Has nothing to do with luck.
Did you turn On App power monitor in Advanced Settings of the Battery?
2017-7-21
Use props
alex_markov
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Bulgaria

MARSAN Posted at 2017-7-21 07:52
Has nothing to do with luck.
Did you turn On App power monitor in Advanced Settings of the Battery?

Tha's exactly what I meant ;) application is draining power even when Not used unless You/or app monitor stop it ;)
2017-7-21
Use props
Tombolian
lvl.4
Flight distance : 675958 ft
United States

Galaxy J3 baby!!!  Disconnects exactly as much as my iPhone 6+.  Not often, but not never.  YMMV.
2017-7-21
Use props
MARSAN
lvl.4
Belgium

alex_markov Posted at 2017-7-21 09:43
Tha's exactly what I meant ;) application is draining power even when Not used unless You/or app monitor stop it ;)

That's what App power monitor is for, so you don't have to worry about power guzzling apps any longer.
In other words, DJI GO 4 is always asleep, unless you use it of course.
What more do you need?
2017-7-21
Use props
rstekeur
lvl.2
Flight distance : 167477 ft
United States

You must be 1 out of 100 then, I've always had android phones and tablets but the IOS Go apps run much better than any android I've tried
2017-7-21
Use props
Sulu600
lvl.2
Flight distance : 486634 ft
United States

I have been using my old LG G4 for about 6 months with absolutly no problems at all.  Currently on 6.1 so they may be right about 7.0 on the S8.  I also use an iPad Pro on IOS 11 beta and seems to be fine also, but lost the ability to run Periscope Producer. DJI likes IOS for sure.
2017-7-21
Use props
Dr Bot
New
Flight distance : 352635 ft
United Kingdom

I have both IPad 9.7 2017 which works fine, and I also use Android 6 on my phone & tablet.....Never had any problems with Android or IPad, so I would say its just a personal choice
2017-7-21
Use props
alex_markov
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Bulgaria

Some recent (from yesterday) observation on iPad mini 4 with IOS 11 beta 2 - video was choppy from day one of beta installation, but when I run screen recording and start flying I had "Mobile CPU fully loaded..." and fun begin video was really choppy, even distance and speed readings start not updating propperly.... so I missed the target to go 5km away by 160 meters
Now I am back on 10.3 and hope everything will be back to normal do no screen recording anymore
2017-7-21
Use props
djiuser_Qi87CPK
New

China

From my experience, it runs more smooth on iPhone.
2017-8-17
Use props
Bradders
lvl.4
Flight distance : 862283 ft
United Kingdom

It runs terribly on Android, I tried It on a Samsung S6 edge and it would not stop crashing.
2017-8-17
Use props
Sac D
lvl.1
Flight distance : 20335 ft
United States

I'm trying to load the DJI GO 4 app on my old iPhone 5 and it keeps saying it's incompatible for the device.   Yay Apple!  (POS)
2017-8-26
Use props
QuadKid
Second Officer
Flight distance : 482349 ft
United States

I agree, been using my Samsung S5 for Go & Go4 app with no problems, now use Crystal Sky which is android. Wonder why DJI would make a monitor designed exclusively for DJI Quads and use Android based OS, Hmmmm?
2017-8-26
Use props
Paul_IA
lvl.4
Flight distance : 4959019 ft
United States

I use an Android phone and GO crashes EVERY flight like clock work. I hear that Crystal Sky (which is Android) users are having the same problem. Do yourself a favor and stick with your iPhone.
2017-8-26
Use props
$gambino$
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1563980 ft
United States

I use my Galaxy S8 plus and I don't have one problem you guys also need to make sure that USB debugging is on
2017-8-26
Use props
LeafPeeper
lvl.4
Flight distance : 450075 ft
  • >>>
United States

Happy Android user here...even an unsupported phone (Moto G3).  Runs with absolutely no issues other than MAYBE a little more lag because it's a slower phone.   I want something bigger and brighter, and I have no intentions of buying an iCrap device.  I DETEST iOS and the overpriced hardware it runs on.  I've ordered a Nougat based phone to play around with.

LP
2017-8-26
Use props
RobDownUnder
lvl.4
Flight distance : 103609 ft
Australia

I have run Samsung S7 edge and S8 for 3 months, 50 flights, no issues. However, I have read plenty of threads where users have problems which I have not experienced. I leaves a happy flier scratching his head.
2017-8-26
Use props
Jffoto
lvl.3
Flight distance : 709 ft
Sweden

I got a Samsung S6 and everything is running fine, no problem.. a few crashes of the app but just restart it quick, but have not heppend after the lastest FM update.
2017-8-27
Use props
Gregbella
Second Officer
Australia

You are are crazy don't do it everyone that I know who has switched to android has had problems
2017-8-27
Use props
QuadKid
Second Officer
Flight distance : 482349 ft
United States

Gregbella Posted at 2017-8-27 01:34
You are are crazy don't do it everyone that I know who has switched to android has had problems

Tell them to stop buying them at Flea Markets !
2017-8-27
Use props
Brum Ken
lvl.4
Flight distance : 787877 ft
United Kingdom

I use android and my mate used iPhone the moved to android too both worked fine
2017-8-27
Use props
Mari
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1308780 ft
Netherlands

QuadKid Posted at 2017-8-26 15:11
I agree, been using my Samsung S5 for Go & Go4 app with no problems, now use Crystal Sky which is android. Wonder why DJI would make a monitor designed exclusively for DJI Quads and use Android based OS, Hmmmm?

There is a huge difference between the version of Android that DJI uses and brands like Samsung do. DJI doesn't need to put loads of bloatware on their Crystal Sky device... All that bloatware makes Android less stable.

I had no single problem until app updated to 4.1.0 while I was on Android 7 (Samsung S6, 64GB). Read a lot of probably fixes, tried them all without any result. Waited until next app updates hoping problem was fixed. NOT.

Love to fly so switched to iOS device... since then I fly with big smile on my face...
2017-8-27
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

As far as I read this forum, usually the android people have issues.
For what that's worth...
2017-8-27
Use props
rolling56
Second Officer
Flight distance : 138310 ft
United States

I've been doing some experimenting with Android Nougat 7.1.1 and Oreo and no go. Guess i will flash to the latest Marshmallow  and see what happens. Seems the DJI 4 app is not setup for the newer firmwares of Android. Please fix DJI! I would like to use the latest firmwares on my Android devices and fly my Mavic Pro
2017-8-27
Use props
rolling56
Second Officer
Flight distance : 138310 ft
United States

Montfrooij Posted at 2017-8-27 06:21
As far as I read this forum, usually the android people have issues.
For what that's worth...

ya it's DJI not making the DJI 4 app compatible with the Android Firmwares...........get with the program DJI!
2017-8-27
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules