Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Rules for flying a drone in othere countries
1438 15 2017-7-20
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Maol
lvl.3
Flight distance : 285098 ft
United States

I will be traveling to  Italy (Milan, Como) and Switzerland (Lucern, Bern and so on) next month, what are the rules for flying a drone in this countries?

Just wanted to make sure that i don't break the local laws while shooting an aerial video for my trip.

Thanks in advance.

2017-7-20
Use props
el pelo
lvl.4
Flight distance : 236768 ft
United States

Would like to know as well. Traveling to Italy, Switzerland, Ireland and Scotland
2017-7-20
Use props
Brokenphones
lvl.4
Flight distance : 489400 ft
Ireland

el pelo Posted at 2017-7-20 05:29
Would like to know as well. Traveling to Italy, Switzerland, Ireland and Scotland

Ireland here.

You can find info on this site.

Whereabouts are you visiting?
No doubt it goes without saying to fly responsibly and not take any part in ruining it for the rest of us. If you feel like flaunting any of the rules do so in a wide open, un-populated area. We have loads of those, particularly in the west.
2017-7-20
Use props
el pelo
lvl.4
United States

Brokenphones Posted at 2017-7-20 05:38
Ireland here.

You can find info on this site.

Thanks for the response.

I realize probably the national parks are not wise to fly around. But we'll mainly be in Dublin doing day trips from there. Any recommendations?
2017-7-20
Use props
dronist
Captain
  • >>>
Canada

el pelo Posted at 2017-7-20 10:08
Thanks for the response.

I realize probably the national parks are not wise to fly around. But we'll mainly be in Dublin doing day trips from there. Any recommendations?

Stay below 50 meters in the city, do not fly over people or etc... Best bet, go out of the cities...
2017-7-20
Use props
MARSAN
First Officer
Flight distance : 966978 ft
Belgium

Europe is in general extremely restricted when it comes to flying a drone.
As an example for my country Belgium, without written permission (unthinkable for a tourist) from the Belgian DGTA (the Belgian equivalent of the FAA in the US), you are not allowed to fly your drone over any Belgian city, unless you fly over private property with the permission of the owner of this private property and then the flight height is limited to 10 (ten) meters only.
2017-7-21
Use props
Brokenphones
lvl.4
Flight distance : 489400 ft
Ireland

el pelo Posted at 2017-7-20 10:08
Thanks for the response.

Not really too many places you can fly in Dublin, as it's a relatively small city and Dublin Airport is only about 11km away, which makes lot of the city a NFZ, although being a city it’s not really a go-er anyway. Maybe either Three Rock or the old lead mines south of the city, both in the Dublin Mountains. But both places are popular with people out for a walk.
I live in Wicklow – right next door to Dublin. If you can get there you’ll find lots of big, wide, open spaces, particularly in the Wicklow Mountains area. If you can go on a weekday, even better. If you can go during the day as opposed to the evening, even better again. Although it’s summer, so there may still be some people about during the day. You'd probably be OK even in the areas marked as National Parks, although discretion is your chief weapon… discretion and stealth… stealth and discretion… your two chief weapons are stealth and discretion… and common-sense. Your three chief weapons are discretion, and stealth, and common-sense.
I like to try avoid interacting with anybody when I’m out flying. Sure, some folk would just be curious and just want to ask questions, but others are more about sticking their nose in because they think you’re up to something nefarious. (I suppose this isn’t location specific, though and could happen in any country).
The other problem on our little island is the weather. Very changeable, quite wet (summer and winter) and almost always a wind of some nature. But, having said that, lots of interesting things to see from the sky’s POV.
2017-7-21
Use props
JforceZim
lvl.1
United States

For the Scotland (and UK)  http://dronesafe.uk/ for most of Scotland you just need to follow this, big chunk the north Highlands is restricted air space though.

Recommend for UK (not include Ireland on Northern Ireland) you get the Drone Assist app, its NATS the UK air traffic control and will give you info on your current location like restrictions as well warning like power lines, high strength antennas, glider sites that are in the area etc

2017-7-21
Use props
fivetonine
Second Officer
Flight distance : 985135 ft
  • >>>
Austria

MARSAN Posted at 2017-7-21 01:00
As an example for my country Belgium, without written permission (unthinkable for a tourist) from the Belgian DGTA (the Belgian equivalent of the FAA in the US), you are not allowed to fly your drone over any Belgian city, unless you fly over private property with the permission of the owner of this private property and then the flight height is limited to 10 (ten) meters only.

Incredible...10 meters! Well, at least something. Here in Austria no flying at all without a €350 registration (per year, of course!). This is so ridiculous.
2017-7-21
Use props
MARSAN
First Officer
Flight distance : 966978 ft
Belgium

fivetonine Posted at 2017-7-21 14:34
Incredible...10 meters! Well, at least something. Here in Austria no flying at all without a €350 registration (per year, of course!). This is so ridiculous.

Yes, and that is a flight height of 10 meters on private property only, elsewhere, like public parks, it is forbidden!
Yes, in Belgium it may very well also cost a couple of hundreds of euros to become a qualified and licensed drone pilot and then there is a yearly fee of €39 to pay on top of that.
Each drone flight mission must then be submitted in writing (by e-mail) to the Belgian aviation authority, who may or may not allow this flight.
This situation is of course completely ridiculous and has nothing to do with a hobby anymore.
2017-7-22
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9812789 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

el pelo Posted at 2017-7-20 05:29

In Ireland you can mostly fly fairly comfortably, rules are VLOS up to 400 meters height 120 meters, major airports 10km controlled airspace, I live on the north west coast where flying is not a problem, people may approach you but only because they are being inquisitive.
As brokenphones has said Dublin is difficult many areas where you can only fly 50 ft altitude and distance, you will find all rules on IAA website.
2017-7-22
Use props
Maol
lvl.3
United States

Thanks all for that information!
2017-7-22
Use props
Maol
lvl.3
United States

MARSAN Posted at 2017-7-21 01:00

thank you!
2017-7-22
Use props
Maol
lvl.3
United States

Brokenphones Posted at 2017-7-21 03:49
Not really too many places you can fly in Dublin, as it's a relatively small city and Dublin Airport is only about 11km away, which makes lot of the city a NFZ, although being a city it’s not really a go-er anyway. Maybe either Three Rock or the old lead mines south of the city, both in the Dublin Mountains. But both places are popular with people out for a walk.
I live in Wicklow – right next door to Dublin. If you can get there you’ll find lots of big, wide, open spaces, particularly in the Wicklow Mountains area. If you can go on a weekday, even better. If you can go during the day as opposed to the evening, even better again. Although it’s summer, so there may still be some people about during the day. You'd probably be OK even in the areas marked as National Parks, although discretion is your chief weapon… discretion and stealth… stealth and discretion… your two chief weapons are stealth and discretion… and common-sense. Your three chief weapons are discretion, and stealth, and common-sense.
I like to try avoid interacting with anybody when I’m out flying. Sure, some folk would just be curious and just want to ask questions, but others are more about sticking their nose in because they think you’re up to something nefarious. (I suppose this isn’t location specific, though and could happen in any country).

Thanks for that information!
2017-7-22
Use props
el pelo
lvl.4
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 2017-7-22 01:35
In Ireland you can mostly fly fairly comfortably, rules are VLOS up to 400 meters height 120 meters, major airports 10km controlled airspace, I live on the north west coast where flying is not a problem, people may approach you but only because they are being inquisitive.
As brokenphones has said Dublin is difficult many areas where you can only fly 50 ft altitude and distance, you will find all rules on IAA website.

Thanks. So far my main concern in Ireland is the wind
2017-7-24
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9812789 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

el pelo Posted at 2017-7-24 05:13
Thanks. So far my main concern in Ireland is the wind

Well where I live on north coast 100/150kph winds are not uncommon, this time of year no so much, Mavic will handle 36kph reasonably well, but there are many days when winds are fairly light.

Enjoy your break, bring your Mavic if you don't you might regret it...
2017-7-24
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules